Fanfic: Devil With A Blue Dress
Devil With A Blue Dress acts as a prequel by Amp to Team Fortress 2, in which a number of the team members are recruited by a mysterious woman in blue. In the process, we get an in-depth look in the featured team members, including the recruitor whom the astute reader will recognize as the BLU Scout's mom. A fair warning: the fic has not been updated for about half a year, but about two-thirds of it is complete and each chapter does well as a stand-alone story. Edit: The Spy chapter is now up. And TF 2 Chan Rejoyced!Enjoy the fic here.
The fanfic contains the following tropes:
The fanfic contains the following tropes:
- Abusive Parents: Pyro's father.
- Also, from the looks of things, Soldier's dad, who gave him a hell of a shiner upon finding out he was dating a Japanese girl.
- Agent Mulder: Tavish DeGroot, with the recruitor having to play Agent Scully in his chapter.
- All Myths Are True: In this TF2 universe, kelpies seem to at least be real.
- Big Damn Heroes: Tavish saves the recruitor from being drowned by a kelpie.
- Break the Cutie: The Soldier, or more specifically the young Jane Doe, surprisingly enough.
- Breaking Speech: The recruitor delivers a masterful one to recruit the Medic.
- Child Soldiers: Pyro was in mental institution ward for ten- to seventeen-year-olds, meaning that she's even younger than the Scout.
- Cool Car: The recruitor drives a silver Bel Air.
- Crapsaccharine World: Australia; every single resident is a rowdy mustached badass living in a rather comfortable and high-tech environment; but outside, there is the dangerous outback with loose government mutants, not to mention achieving citizenship can be summed up as a year-long Hunger Game.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Everyone to certain extents.
- Epigraph: Each chapter ends with a quote from a book, movie, or a famous figure fitting to each character backstory. This even includes the extended version of the Sun Tzu quote from the "Meet the Soldier" video.
- Devoted to You: Why Spy willingly attends the ball, knowing full well it's a trap set for him to get him to join RED/BLU.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: The Demoman is very considerate of his blind mother, and the Scout seems to be rather fond of his mom; inverted in the case of the recruitor, who's really just doing everything to ensure the Scout's safety.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks: The recruitor first meets the future Medic in a gray nurse shark exhibit, setting a rather appropriate tone for their conversation.
- The Fair Folk: Tavish strongly believes they exist, as one of his first friends claimed to be a faerie.
- Flashback: All chapters end with one.
- Foregone Conclusion: One way or another, the recruitor's son will become the BLU Scout.
- Gentle Giant- Heavy. He is a genuinely kind person who is still dealing with feelings of guilt for what he had to do during the war.
- Hello, Nurse!: The recruitor, a given if you've seen the "Meet the Spy" video.
- I Have Many Names: The recruitor always uses a pseudonym whenever in a new location, all of which we can assume to be fake.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Dell Conagher is a brilliant thinker and technician, but has a string of failed relationships due to his passion for his work.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Demoman and Heavy.
- Lady in Red: Well, blue, but think how ironic it'd be if the case were true!
- Love Makes You Evil: Or manipulative and morally ambiguous. After all, she's doing this for Scout...
- Manipulative Bitch: A more sympathetic example, but the title should have clued you in.
- Mama Bear: It doesn't matter if she has to endure mad scientists, freezing weather, and a dangerous Australian outback; Scout's mom is not going to let her son down.
- Morality Pet: Considering Heavy's usual behavior, it's easy to see that the recruitor is one for him.
- Nazi Germany: Medic is a Holocaust survivor who routinely abuses drugs to deal with the trauma and PTSD he suffers because of it.
- Samus is a Girl: Pyro is in truth a very troubled teenage girl.
- Self-Made Orphan: Pyro burned down her — yes, her — house with her parents sill inside.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: The Heavy, as a result of Order 227.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Jane Doe and his high school sweetheart Yurie, a Japanese American in a rather sour time to be one.
- Also Scout's mom (the recruiter) and Spy.
- You Are Number Six: The Sniper is literally #6 in the survival race to qualify for Australian citizenship.
- The case name for the Pyro is 451. As in, Fahrenheit 451.