Fan Fic: An Alternate Keitaro Urashima
An Alternate Keitaro Urashima
asks "What if Keitaro hadn't taken that old Childhood Marriage Promise
so seriously?" Instead of becoming a Ronin
struggling to make it into Tokyo University, he's already in his second year at another college when his grandmother sends him a letter summoning him to the Hinata Inn. Once he discovers what her plans are, however — and how she's converted the Inn into an all-girls' dorm — he wants nothing to do with them. But Granny isn't about to give up so easily...
- A Tragedy of Impulsiveness:
- Su's decision to help herself to some brownies while visiting Keitaro's parents has long-reaching consequences.
- Naru impulsively deciding to attack Keitaro for talking to Mutsumi makes her a social pariah.
- Motoko kicks off her Humiliation Conga when she draws her katana in public to threaten Keitaro.
- The incident revealed in Chapter 16: When Takaya tried talking to Su about how uncomfortable she was making his sister, Naru and Motoko immediately decided he must have bad intentions and hospitalized him.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Naru makes herself an outcast at her school after punching out Keitaro on campus for talking to Mutsumi.
- Armor-Piercing Question: When Shinobu tries to convince him to follow his Granny's wishes, Keitaro asks her if she thinks it's right to force somebody to do something they don't want. He then extends this to the rest of the girls, but Shinobu's the only one who takes it seriously.
- Earlier, when the girls suggest beating Keitaro if he tried to kick them out, Shinobu asks if they'd do the same to a woman. All of them fall silent at that.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Seriously, do not mess with Keitaro, Miyabi is going to slap you so hard your jaw might break. Seriously, go ask Naru.
- The Atoner: Miyabi deeply regrets how they handled the incident with her teacher and wants to try and make amends.
- Berserk Button: Keitaro ignores Motoko's Girl Posse when they come after him, until they start insulting his girlfriend.
- Big Eater: Gets Su into trouble when the Hinata girls visit Keitaro's parents, and she helps herself to some brownies... meant for a customer.
- Break the Haughty:
- Haruka's starts when one of her workers leads a lawsuit against her. This results in her losing the teahouse, taking over the Hinata Inn, and coming to realize she's to blame for her own misfortunes.
- Motoko goes through a severe Humiliation Conga after getting arrested, which culminates in her sister informing her that she's been stripped of her position as heir, is getting pulled out of school and will be attending a co-ed school next year.
- The Bully: Motoko and Naru unconsciously bully Shinobu.
- Calling The Old Woman Out: Hina gets this several times.
- Character Exaggeration: Naru's bitchiness, Motoko's misandry and Su's appetite are all taken Up to Eleven here.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: Keitaro's moved on; Granny Hina hasn't.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Haruka convinces herself that her Aunt Marumi deliberately engineered the lawsuit in order to get revenge. She eventually realizes that it's actually her own fault.
- Cross Over: With the cast of Great Teacher Onizuka!
- Dark and Troubled Past: Miyabi has one, revealed in Part 8: She was crushing on a teacher, only to wind up heartbroken when he — fully aware of her feelings — invited her over to his place and introduced her to his fiance. She tried getting revenge by making it appear he'd taken advantage of her, only for it to spiral out of control when a classmate assaulted him, getting the teacher fired and her friend expelled. Read more on Great Teacher Onizuka.
- Deconstruction Fic: Illustrates how the girls' various issues bite them hard when they refuse to face any responsibility for their actions.
- Disproportionate Retribution: So a guy reasonably tells your Girl Posse off? It's perfectly reasonable to pay him back with a duel, isn't it?
- Disappointed In You: Hina tries playing this card on Keitaro. It doesn't work.
- Does Not Like Men: Motoko is quite blatantly sexist. She almost always refers to men by their gender and calling them things like, "you disgusting male."
- Dramatically Missing the Point:
- No matter how many times she's called out on her behavior, Granny Hina refuses to acknowledge that she might've done things the wrong way. Instead, she insists that everyone who isn't going along with her plans are in the wrong.
- Naru and Motoko have the same issue, continuing to blame Keitaro for everything bad that results from their own actions.
- Haruka struggles with this while dealing with the lawsuit. She gets better after losing the teahouse.
- Dysfunction Junction: The Hinata Inn, with most of its residents actively resisting any efforts to help them improve.
- Fair Weather Friend: Motoko discovers that Naru and her girl posse are these.
- Fatal Flaw:
- Granny Hina, Haruka, Naru, Motoko and Kitsune are all blinded by their Pride.
- Su is cheerfully oblivious to how her antics can make others uncomfortable, and is used to having any problems she causes fixed by others.
- First Girl Wins: Hina believes this. Keitaro doesn't.
- Girl Posse: Motoko has a small group of devoted Fangirls.
- Hypocrite: Granny Hina all the way.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Mitsumi decided this when she gently turned down Keitaro's Love Confession. Deconstructed in that she somewhat regrets this decision.
- Improbably High IQ: Urumi has an IQ of 200.
- Insistent Terminology: After their relationship starts souring, Keitaro insistently calls Haruka 'Aunt Haruka'.
- Meanwhile, Marumi insists that Haruka call her Aunt Marumi despite being adopted by Hina.
- Irony: One of the reason's Granny Hina doesn't want Marumi running the in is "She's very stubborn" and "once her mind is made up, she won't change it."
- It's All About Me: Hoo boy. Granny Hina. She is pretty much incapable of understanding why everyone won't just quietly do what she wants. Haruka, and most of the tenants suffer from this too.
- King Incognito: Su's status as a princess becomes a problem after she eats the brownies. Kanako states that Molmol's reputation would take a hit if it became common knowledge their princess was a thief.
- Manipulative Bitch:
- Granny Hina, who isn't too pleased when Keitaro refuses to follow along with her schemes. She's even less pleased when his parents and sister find out as well and stand with him.
- Ryuichi also accuses Miyabi of being this due to her past actions.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Naru spies Keitaro talking to another girl and leaps to the conclusion he's cheating on Miyabi. She proceeds to attack him over this.
- Mistaken for Gay: When Keitaro informs the girls he doesn't find any of them attractive, Kitsune immediately asks if he's gay.
- Moral Myopia: Hina honestly seems to think that everything she does is right, and that everyone who doesn't go along with her wishes is horribly misguided.
- Never My Fault:
- Naru constantly berates and insults Keitaro, then turns around and acts like he's in the wrong when he snaps back.
- Similarly, Motoko keeps threatening Keitaro, and acts as though he's the one who's being unreasonable.
- Granny Hina is apparently incapable of seeing how her own actions are driving her family away, as well as how her leniency with the girls has only amplified their issues.
- Haruka insists that the people suing her are completely misguided and just out for 'revenge'.
- When Kitsune figures out that Shinobu's been bottling up her feelings about the situation, she immediately decides Keitaro's the issue instead of her (entirely justified) fears about how the other girls will react.
- Su also struggles with this, thinking that Shinobu's being mean when she doesn't want to get dragged into her antics anymore.
- In Chapter 16, it's revealed that Naru and Motoko once hospitalized a boy named Takaya when he tried to get Su to stop making his friends feel uncomfortable. Naru doesn't regret this at all and dismisses it as 'irrelevant'.
- No, Except Yes: When Shinobu accuses Su of deliberately getting Naru and Motoko to attack Takaya, Su insists that she didn't. She just wanted them to hurt him and make him go away.
- No Hero to His Valet: Haruka isn't very nice to her workers, and this gets her sued.
- No Sympathy: After Motoko loses her duel with Keitaro, Naru's far more focused on how this meant she was forced to apologize for attacking him than anything else. She even goes so far as to selfishly think that Motoko completely deserves her Humiliation Conga simply due to that.
- When Ryuichi lost his job after stalking Keitaro and Miyabi at Granny Hina's urging, he tries to see if Granny Hina can help him. Instead she coldly tells Ryuichi that his problems are his own fault.
- Not Helping Your Case:
- Granny Hina continually trying to arrange things so that Keitaro has to take over the Inn only makes him more resistant.
- When the girls actually try to help Hina despite their own misgivings about having a man take over, they proceed to make HORRIBLE impressions on his family.
- When rumors about her violence spread around the cram school, Naru doesn't do herself any favors by confronting Mutsumi.
- Not So Different: Mutsumi secretly fears that they're no better than Granny Hina, due to the way they kept Keitaro in the dark about how she was his 'Promise Girl' and then turned around and passed that promise on to Naru. When Keitaro does find out, he reassures her, pointing out that she's never tried actively railroading him into doing something he didn't want.
- The Oathbreaker:
- Granny Hina tries to make Keitaro feel guilty about not keeping a promise he made when he was five.
- Keitaro eventually turns this around when he reveals that Hina once promised the Inn to Marumi, but reneged on that after deciding to try and strongarm him into the job instead.
- One Side of the Story: Ryuichi despises Miyabi and sees her as somebody who deliberately ruins the lives of others because of how she got a friend of his fired. However, he later learns that he didn't get the full story: Ogi deliberately led her on, including taking her to meet his fiance while fully aware of her crush.
- Only Sane Man: Poor Shinobu finds herself as this, being the only tenant at the Hinata Inn who realizes how unfair they're being to Keitaro. Later, Haruka joins her after becoming the manager.
- Poor Communication Kills:
- Keitaro's very good about averting this by talking to others. This includes being fully aware of Miyabi's past and telling her about the Childhood Marriage Promise. He also makes sure to inform others of his grandmother's scheming so that they're well-prepared before she tries pulling their strings.
- Conversely, Hina's tendency to leave others in the dark and only let them know what she wants them to know causes her plans to keep imploding.
- The entire subplot with Ryuichi and Ogi could've been avoided if Ogi had just admitted his fault sooner. However, when noting this, Ogi points out that he HAD explained at least part of this sooner, but Ryuichi hasn't wanted to hear it... and still refuses to listen.
- Pretty Freeloader: Kitsune has to deal with the consequences of this after Haruka takes over the Inn.
- Ranked by I.Q.: Played with. While Urumi has an IQ of 200, Naru decides she's an idiot because she chose not to aim for Tokyo U. She also joins those calling the girls out on their immaturity, causing them to see her as 'stupid and mean'.
- Real Women Don't Wear Dresses: Motoko scornfully dismisses Miyabi's opinions simply because she's Keitaro's girlfriend.
- Reality Ensues:
- Granny Hina's attempts to manipulate Keitaro into becoming manager cause massive rifts in their family. Turns out his parents don't appreciate how she lied either.
- Haruka's tendency to punish her workers and abuse customers she dislikes lead to her getting sued and losing the teahouse.
- Su has to get a part-time job to pay for some food she ate at the bakery that was meant for some customers, costing them clients.
- After coasting by without paying her rent for several months, Kitsune has to pay it all back or get evicted.
- Naru punching Keitaro nearly gets her kicked out of their cram school, and she becomes a social pariah.
- After being warned several times, Motoko attempts to challenge Keitaro to a duel... and gets arrested and charged with attempted assault with a deadly weapon. Her fangirls get arrested as accessories. This leads to her expulsion from the Kendo Club.
- Ryuichi lost his job after Ogi revealed how he'd stalked Keitaro and Miyabi.
- After the fiasco with Keitaro, Shinobu starts reevaluating her relationship with the other girls and comes to the conclusion they've just been treating her as an Extreme Doormat.
- Kyoshiro and Nanami refuse to even consider letting Kanako drop out of school for over a year to go on a world tour with Granny Hina.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
- After being repeatedly harassed by Motoko, he calls her a 'fake samurai' with no real sense of honor and who condones the others' vile treatment of him simply because she's biased against men.
- When Motoko's Girl Posse insult Miyabi, he tells them off by explaining how wonderful his girlfriend is, whereas the girl they idolize is nothing more than a bully masquerading as an honorable warrior.
- Granny Hina's shocked when she starts getting these from Haruka, who's come to realize how her decision to 'help' her tenants by giving them a free ride has only exacerbated their problems.
- Shinobu gives one to the other tenants over their past actions.
- The Scapegoat:
- Once she learns that Keitaro has a girlfriend, Granny Hina starts blaming her for her grandson's 'insolence'.
- Naru and Motoko blame Keitaro for all the consequences stemming from their own actions.
- Shrinking Violet: Picking up on this, Keitaro isn't nearly as harsh on Shinobu as he is the others. When telling off all of the others in turn, all he does is ask her why she's going along with them.
- Spanner in the Works:
- Granny Hina regards Miyabi's very existence as this — maybe if she wasn't Keitaro's girlfriend, he wouldn't be so troublesome!
- Similarly, most of the Hinata Girls see Keitaro as a spanner responsible for them having to face consequences for their actions. (He does function as a spanner, primarily due to actually communicating with others and letting them know what's going on).
- This kicks off Mokoto's Humiliation Conga: she had no idea that a couple of officers were walking by when she drew her katana and threatened Keitaro in public.
- Straw Feminist: Naru and Motoko taken to extremes and my god, reality bitchslaps them as hard as Miyabi does.
- Tokyo University:
- Naru's still determined to get in at any cost. Keitaro, meanwhile, has chosen to attend Tokyo University of the Fine Arts, and is already on his second year.
- Urumi reveals that with her IQ, she could've gotten into Tokyo U, but chose another school so that they could be close to their boyfriend. Unsurprisingly, this gets her insulted by Naru and Makoto.
- Took a Level in Badass:
- Shinobu becomes more assertive thanks to her interaction with Miyabi and Keitaro.
- Keitaro is more self-confident and is not even submissive to the girls.
- Miyabi is now known for her Armor-Piercing Slap that can almost give people concussions.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Haruka when she apologizes to her lawyer and says she should have listened to her from the beginning.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Ryuichi understandably chews out Granny Hina when she refuses to help him after he loses his job for stalking Keitaro and Miyabi at her urging.
- Keitaro's parents rip Su a new one after she eats a tray of brownies meant for a customer.
- Keitaro received one from his aunt Marumi after he told some thugs where to find his cousin, under the belief they wanted to thank him for turning in their friend, leading to his cousin ending up in the hospital with several broken bones.
- After becoming the manager, Haruka can't believe the sort of things Hina will excuse the tenants of.
- With Us or Against Us: The Hinata Girls tend to have this problem. Either you go along with exactly what Granny Hina/they want, or there's something wrong with you. This attitude even extends to poor Shinobu, and to Haruka whenever she lays down the law.