Creator: Roy Rogers
Roy Rogers (1911 - 1998) was a star of over a hundred "singing cowboy" movies, as well as a long-running series that began on radio and moved to television.Generally accompanied by his Cool Horse Trigger, his gal Dale Evans, and one or both of his sidekicks, Pat Brady and Gabby Hayes.He also has a fast food chain named after him. Make of that what you will.
Tropes associated with Roy Rogers include:
- Bulletproof Fashion Plate
- Cool Horse
- The Danza: Most of the characters he played were also called "Roy Rogers".
- Happily Married: To Dale Evans, who was his wife until his death.
- Impractically Fancy Outfit
References to Roy Rogers in other works:
- Probably the most famous, from Die Hard:Gruber: Who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?
McClane: I was always kinda partial to Roy Rogers actually. I really like those sequined shirts.
Gruber: Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mr. Cowboy?
McClane: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.
- In Gladiator, the protagonist has a horse whose name is "Trigger" in Latin.
- "Roy Rogers", song by Elton John
- "Front Row Cowboy", song by Eric Bogle
- "If I Had a Boat," song by Lyle Lovett