"The trouble with talking about acting is that it's like sex. It's enormously fun to do but just dreadfully embarrassing when you have to talk about it."Paul Bettany is an English actor. Born on May 27, 1971, he had his breakout role as a naked Geoffrey Chaucer in A Knight's Tale, which is probably saying something, and has since starred in a wide variety of movies where he usually steals all the scenes he's in. He's married to actress Jennifer Connelly. Their son Stellan is named after Stellan Skarsgård, fellow Marvel Cinematic Universe actor.
Some of his roles include:
- Gangster No 1 (2000) as the Gangster
- A Knight's Tale (2001) as Geoffrey Chaucer
- A Beautiful Mind (2001) as Russell Crowe's imaginary friend
- Master and Commander (2003) as Dr. Stephen Maturin, Russell Crowe's not-so-imaginary friend
- Wimbledon (2004) as Peter Colt
- The Da Vinci Code (2006) as Silas
- Firewall (2006) as Bill Cox
- in Inkheart (2008) as Dustfinger
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 – present) in dual roles as:
- Charles Darwin in Creation (2009)
- Archangel Michael in Legion (2010)
- Inspector John Acheson in The Tourist (2010)
- Priest in Priest (2011)
- Star Wars: Solo (2018) as Dryden Vos
Examples concerning this actor:
- Awesome, Dear Boy: Bettany states he does all his action films like Legion and Priest because he enjoys them just as much as the dramatic, artsy films.
- Dyeing for Your Art:
- Went to the gym for six months while filming Legion. He hated it.
- His hair was dyed brunette for Master and Commander.
- Money, Dear Boy: He admits that his performances as JARVIS are mainly for this, and he doesn't even watch the movies. Playing the Vision, however, got him more excited, as it was a more complex challenge than voice acting."I used to be in a studio for 45 minutes and do J.A.R.V.I.S. and get a huge bag of cash and go my way like a burglar, and now they want me to work for my money. Which is great and sweaty and hot, which you’ll realize once they unveil everything. It’s really f***ing cool. It’s great to join this train which is on really clear tracks."
- Mr. Fanservice: His directors seem well aware of his appeal.
- Old Shame: Actively discourages anybody from trying to watch Dead Babies.
- Romance on the Set: Met Jennifer Connelly while filming A Beautiful Mind. They later acted together as husband and wife in Creation, and Connelly had a short cameo as Dustfinger's girlfriend/soon-to-be-wife in Inkheart.
- Those Two Actors:
- What Could Have Been: Was offered the part of the king in The King's Speech, but didn't take it.