Creator / Pamela Dean
Pamela Dean is an American SF and fantasy writer, best known for The Secret Country
series. She has also written short stories set in the Liavek Shared Universe
. She also began a Liavek novel, but seems to have put it aside for the moment in order to complete the fifth Secret Country book, Abiding Reflection
The Secret Country books
- The Secret Country Trilogy, about a group of five cousins who find themselves in a world they thought they had invented for their games.
- The Secret Country
- The Hidden Land
- The Whim of the Dragon
- The Dubious Hills is set in the same world, but takes place in a different area and involves different characters.
- Tam Lin, which retells the Tam Lin story in a modern college setting
- Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary, which involves three sisters and their neighbor, who wants to build a Time Machine in their house.
Works by Pamela Dean with their own pages include:
Other works by Pamela Dean contain examples of:
- Crosscast Role: In the school production of Twelfth Night in Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary, both Malvolio and Antonio are cast as girls.
- The Fair Folk: In Tam Lin. They are described as absolutely alien: "like linear A. They look as if they ought to mean something, but you can't tell what it is."
- My Grandson Myself: In Tam Lin, there are a couple of references that indicate that Professor Medeous, aka the Queen of Faerie, has done this at least once.
- Really 700 Years Old: Nick and Robin in Tam Lin.
- Show Within The Show:
- In Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary, Gentian and her friends try out for the School Play, Twelfth Night.
- In Tam Lin, some college students perform The Revenger's Tragedy, a real but obscure Jacobean play, as a commentary on their department head's conduct.
- This Is My Side: In Tam Lin, one of the older students tells Janet that last year she and her roommate had to set up a clothesline with sheets in the middle of the room, and the roommate would go out through the window because the door wasn't on her side.