"Pam Grier was white America's first opportunity to get an eyeful of a really fine black woman without having to listen to her sing, thus empowering millions of us to ignore Destinys Child. If you don't appreciate the importance of that I guess you weren't around back in the Lena Horne Era. You never heard Pam Grier wail about no 'Stormy Weather'. If it was raining outside that meant it was time for Pam to put on her baddest pair of rainboots and go out there and kick that weatherman's white ass."
Born May 26, 1949, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Pam Grier is more than just a woman, she's an icon
. Any time you see a woman kicking ass
in movies, you can thank her.Notable Films
:Notable TV series
:Notable Video Games
Tropes associated with this actress:
- Action Girl: Before Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor codified this trope in movies, Pam Grier pretty much defined it.
- Badass: Pretty much all of her parts were as badass ActionGirls.
- Blaxploitation: She and Tamara Dobson became the genre's leading actresses.
- Ms. Fanservice:
- Especially in her early films, she spent a lot of time wearing lingerie, Stripperific clothes or no clothes at all.
- Her boobs were an important part of a whole generation of men's puberties.
- One of Us: Grier is a self-described bookish nerd in real life. The Mars Attacks! role appealed to her because of the comics she grew up reading.
- Or the sketch on MADtv where she plays a black superhero from the future who goes back to the 1950s to reassure a bunch of black heroes from that era that their contribution to black hero-ing is indeed important.
- Sassy Black Woman: A common characteristic of most of her parts.