To be seen and heard is a simple human need."Gina Alexis Rodriguez (born July 30, 1984) is an American actress, dancer, singer, and philanthropist.First appearing on 2004's season of the original Law & Order, she's had a widespread career on television since. She's best known there for being the titular star of Jane the Virgin. Her role as the ambitious hotel worker Jane Gloriana Villanueva has won her awards such as a Golden Globe for "Best Actress Television Series Musical or Comedy" and an Imagen Award for "Best Actress Television".In terms of feature films, she's appeared in movies such as 2012's Filly Brown and 2016's Deepwater Horizon among others.As a singer, she was one of the many artists on the song "Almost Like Praying", written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, performing under the collective name 'Artists for Puerto Rico'. Released on October 6, 2017 by Atlantic Records, the track was created to support relief efforts in Puerto Rico in response to Hurricane Maria.
- Army Wives (2010) as Marisol Evans
- The Bold and the Beautiful (2011 — 2012) as Beverly
- Filly Brown (2012) as Filly Brown
- Jane the Virgin (2014 — present) as Jane Villanueva
- Deepwater Horizon (2016) as Andrea Fleytas
- The Star (2017) as Mary (voice)
- Ferdinand (2017) as Una (voice)
- Annihilation (2018) as Anya Thorensen
- Carmen Sandiego (2019) as Carmen Sandiego (voice)
Some of the tropes associated with the actor's works:
- Adaptation Inspiration: Jane the Virgin takes the basic, starting framework of a Venezuelan telenovela and turns it into a comic series, made by creators who are well-aware of the absurdity of the material.
- Affectionate Parody: The saga of Jane Gloriana Villanueva pokes fun at things usually seen on such melodramatic programs in a light-hearted manner.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: This important background to Jane the Virgin is shown in multiple episodes.
- Historical-Domain Character: Nearly all of the main characters on Deepwater Horizon are based on either the actual personnel of the oil rig or the actual middle-manager types visiting it when the disaster happened. Rodriguez's character, Andrea Fleytas, is no exception.
- Reality Subtext: Rodriguez grew up in Chicago immersed in hip-hop culture, interacting with local rappers and eventually trying song-writing when she moved to New York, New York for college. Not too long afterward, the creators of the movie Filly Brown cast her as the young hip-hop artist that's its titular character.
- Twofer Token Minority: Rodriguez is a Latina of Jewish ancestry. Naturally, this stands out when the rest of the performers around her all or almost all look quite different. She's spoken out about these issues in a public essay.
- She's also Afro-Latina on her father's side.