Comic Strip: The Lockhorns
An one-panel, gag-a-day Newspaper Comic created in 1968 by Bill Hoest, continued since his death in 1988 by Bunny Hoest and John Reiner.The comic's protagonist are Leroy and Loretta Lockhorn, a married couple who hate each other.That's pretty much all there is to it. The strips usually feature Leroy and Loretta making passive-aggressive, sarcastic one-liners at each other, whether to the other's face, or to some third party, though light satire of everyday life also abounds.
This comic features tropes such as:
- All Men Are Perverts: Leroy often dances and/or looks at the resident busty woman who happens to be in the room/at the beach/wherever. When Loretta is five feet away from him. Usually, she just snarks about it.
- Alliterative Name: Leroy and Loretta Lockhorn.
- Awful Wedded Life: The source of all humour in the strip.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both protagonists.
- The Eeyore: Both Leroy and Loretta, again.
- Family Title
- Lazy Husband
- Lethal Chef
- The Masochism Tango
- Men Are Uncultured - Leroy often sleeps through or complains about things Loretta drags him to, some of which are ballets, operas, etc.
- No Accounting for Taste
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Loretta's mother is a frequent target of Leroy's snark.
- Perpetual Frowner: Everyone's range of expressions consists of "depressed and bored" and "infuriated", with only the occasional "grimly satisfied" or "inebriated".
- Punny Name: The Lockhorns are always "locking horns" with each other.
- Women Drivers