"I know—I've only myself to blame!" she wailed. "My family saw through all those fine promises of yours thirty-five years ago. They warned me you were a loafer and a Lothario, that you'd never lift a finger around the house. Other women have husbands—I've got a cheap facsimile of George Brent, a cluck too lazy to put up a clothesline... I beg you to carry the ashes out of the cellar, to put in a few pothooks, to sweep the leaves off the porch, and what satisfaction do I get? Nyet—all you do is lie there guzzling over your pinups while the moths and silverfish eat us out of house and home."A husband who is usually seen lounging around at home while his wife does all the housework, rarely seen getting to relax. She often berates him for being lazy. Sometimes the Lazy Husband is a bit bossy and expects everyone to wait on him, and sometimes he's just more laid-back. His laziness often extends to work as well. Depending on who is portrayed as more sympathetic, this could overlap with either Women Are Wiser (if the husband being lazy is emphasized, especially in the cases where he's also lazy at work) or Henpecked Husband (if the wife is portrayed as being overly naggy and bossy — especially if she complains whenever he does something, even if he does it right). Also similar to Bumbling Dad, but this is more about the husband-wife dynamic than just focusing on the dad being stupid (and not all Lazy Husbands are fathers). The distaff counterpart of this character, the Lazy Wife, is almost never seen in popular media paired with a dilligent, hard-working husband, but is more common when paired with this character. Contrast House Husband. Also see Men Can't Keep House and Guys Are Slobs.
— S. J. Perelman, "Samson Shorn, or The Slave of Love"
open/close all folders
- The episode 26 alternate universe of Neon Genesis Evangelion has Yui gently berating Gendo for being lazy, saying that she'll get complaints from Fuyutsuki if he's late from work. His only reaction is to hum and continue to read the newspaper.
- In Happy Yarou Wedding, Professor Akira Todou is one, especially in the last chapter of the manga. Yuuhi, his "man-wife", outright states that even his obnoxious little brother Kazuki is more useful to have around than him.
Live Action TV
- Onslow from Keeping Up Appearances is definitely lazy. He is also very intelligent, and his wife doesn't do much work, either, so this might count as a subversion.
- In Everybody Loves Raymond, Debra Barone frequently berates her easygoing husband Ray for his failings and general willingness to leave the housework to her. But his father Frank makes him look positively workaholic domestically.
- Doug Heffernan in The King of Queens is another example. His idea of division of labour around the house is that he eats and Carrie washes up after him.
- Jim Royle in The Royle Family.
Barbara: Who's going to make dinner if I'm working?Jim: Don't worry we'll wait til you come in.
- In The Adding Machine, Mr. Zero is so Married to the Job that he refuses to do anything for his wife around the house or out of it. She berates him for just sitting on a chair and complaining about how tiring his workday is while she slaves her life away without vacations or pay, but he responds to her harangues with cold silence.
- The Simpsons: Homer Simpson, who sits on the couch with a beer when he's home (and is also completely useless at work).
- Oskar from Hey Arnold!. He not only does none of the housework, but his wife's also the only breadwinner and he spends most of the money.
Suzie: You expect everyone else to take care of you!
Oskar: Susie, I don't expect everyone else to take care of me! Just you.
- The Amazing World of Gumball has Richard Watterson, the epitome of this trope, with his wise but workaholic wife Nicole as a foil.
- Pete on Goof Troop is often seen lazing about and being nagged by his wife Peg, though generally speaking if he wants something done he'll take advantage of his dimwitted neighbor or his Extreme Doormat son instead of her.
- Back at the Barnyard has Nora Beady's husband who just sits on the couch all day and drinks soda.