is a erotic comic book series written and drawn by Bill Willingham in the 1990s, published in the United States by Eros Comix. It ran for 11 issues. The series was collected into two trade paperbacks.Ironwood
follows the adventures of Dave Dragavon, a juvenile dragon existing only in human form (not yet having matured enough to take full dragon form) who is hired by the beautiful Pandora Breedlswight to find the wizard Gnaric in order to free her from a curse.
The comics are a mixture of Sword and Sorcery
and adult humour.
Ironwood contains examples of:
- Church Militant: The Church of Christ Avenger
- Crossover: Fantasia Faust originally appeared in Willingham's superhero comic Elementals as did Dave.
- Cute Monster Girl: Fantasia Faust
- Deus Sex Machina: Once summoned, demon Hugo Wormfire cannot be returned to Hell until he has been satisfied sexually.
- Direct Line to the Author: According to the introduction Bill Willingham didn't write this story. He cheated Dragavon out of his story rights on Earth. The final scene of the series also adds a very healthy dose of Unreliable Narrator.
- Downer Ending
- Even the Girls Want Her: Fantasia Faust
- Evil Sorcerer: Sulimon Canto
- Exotic Equipment: Sir Hugo in his second appearance. Ignagio Pec doesn't usually have it but he finds a ... unique use for a hydra's head spell.
- Golem: Fantasia Faust
- Male-to-Female Universal Adaptor: Although here it is mostly a case of the female genitalia of the fantasy races being compatible with human male equipment. The males occasionally have trouble finding the right spot but, once they do, there are no problems doing the deed.
- Mars Needs Women:Dragons are all male, or more precisely asexual in their natural forms and shapeshift into human males in order to seduce human women for the perpetuation of the species. Apparently they enjoy this so much, the rest of their time is mostly spent hunting down most dragon-offspring they can find to prevent extreme overpopulation.
- Mermaid Problem: A lamia reveals why this isn't really a problem in Ironwood.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: What first mate Tif became once her skin was disintegrated.
- Multi-Armed Multitasking: Tif makes full use of all four of her hands while having a threesome with a jinn and a crewmate.
- Porn With Plot: Ironwood combines a standard fantasy quest storyline with hardcore sex. The writer Bill Willingham even commented that, at times, it was hard to insert each issue's obligatory sex scene without breaking the flow of the story.
- Rip Van Tinkle: Ironwood begins with Dave being rescued after spending three days hanging upside down in a snare with a boulder tied around his neck. His first act on being rescued is to dart into the bushes to empty his bladder. That he was able to hold it in for three days is the first indication that Dave is not normal.
- Robo Sexual: If golems count as robots, then Pandora Breedlswight's relationship with Fantasia makes her one.
- Sex Bot: Fantasia Faust is an iron golem. After serving her creator's original purpose of ridding his land of faeries, he found other uses for her, including as a lover. She is enchanted with illusions so complete that a person can be ravaged by Fantasia without ever realising that she isn't made entirely of soft, warm, forgiving flesh, and subtle but effective neuromancies to entice anything with a steady pulse to desire her.
- Stripped to the Bone: Happens to Tif.
- Two-Person Pool Party: Bishop-Major Simon Passover has sex with a mother and daughter at the same time in a sunken bath.