open/close all folders
Xolga and Mr. Toko Themselves
- (thinking) If I hear the word "manly" one more time, I'm going to flip this whole kingdom upside down.
- All There in the Manual: His last name is mentioned in the bonus episode.
- Anti-Hero: He keeps hiding his heart of gold, so it's hard to remember he's a hero.
- Arc Words: Starts saying "I just mess everything up" halfway through the first series.
- Bears Are Bad News: Being turned into a bear is the first sign that he'll be stuck on an adventure.
- Bishōnen: In his human body, at least.
- Blue Oni: To Toko's Red.
- Brainy Brunette: He has black hair and is a Badass Bookworm.
- Celibate Hero: Unlike Mr. Toko, who at least expresses interest in what he wants in a woman, he doesn't seem to have much—if any—of a love life.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oh yes.
- Determinator: He never gives up chasing after his body, even when the locket tells him flat out he ate it.
- Grumpy Bear: Ha.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: The beginning is described in the quote, and due to his name he was teased in school.(Talking about how his mother named him) I was supposed to be named "Ryota", but she drank a little too much when it was time to fill out my baby information.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite being a Jerk Ass, he'll go out of his way to help people if he feels that they need it, such as finding Terry his body and going after Mr Toko when he goes to the past to prevent what started the series.
- Odd Name Out: The Utsugi family has Aro, Ryoko (his parents), Kai, Mako (his cousins) and... Xolga? Justified, though, as explained in Hilariously Abusive Childhood above, his mom was drunk when she named him.
- Only Sane Man: Xolga is pretty exasperated at some of the crazier things, such as the Dreamboat Kingdom and their opinion of manliness.
- Perpetual Frowner: We pretty much never see him smile.
- Running Gag: Hitting Toko will happen every other game, really.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: Straight man to Mr. Toko's wise guy.
- Younger Than They Look: He's 19 when he looks to be in his 20s.
Mr. Toko / Johnny / Tom Kro
Hired to be Xolga's sidekick, Mr Toko is the second protagonist. Joining the Agency right before the event with the locket, Mr. Toko is very cheerful and makes light of the situation with the stuffed animal forms. He somehow gained the ability to travel to different worlds and times, which is how the two show up in different places. Interestingly enough, while the first series focuses on Xolga, the second series focuses on Mr. Toko, and his tragic past which is only hinted at in the first.
- Amazon Chaser: His ideal type of woman is a muscular amazon.
- Amnesiac Hero -> Identity Amnesia
- Bad Dreams: Had a literal one in the first series, episode 6, which turned out to be a flashback to his past.
- Bi the Way: He's bisexual, according to Pacthesis.
- Break the Cutie: Not only does he forget his memories for more than half of the series, but after he finally remembers everything, he believes that he wasn't meant to have friends because the friends he did have died; One he witnessed being killed, and one who died to keep Mr. Toko alive.
- Cartoon Creature
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: As evidenced in one early episode, where he's shown to be quite adept at handling a gun.
- Deuteragonist: Mostly in the first season. The second focuses more on him and his past.
- My Greatest Failure: Being unable to save his friends, Blake and Sam, from their fates.
- Ear Wings: According to Word of God, his arm-wing thingies qualify.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Has big, bright, sparkly blue eyes. It's more of a carefree and childish case, though, as he is in no way innocent.Mr. Toko: (about Terry and Nina) Somebody is getting laid ton- *gets smacked by Xolga*
- Keet: Very.
- Older Than They Look: He looks 12, but he's 21. But he also isn't. Yes, he has been alive for 21 years, but 9 of them were frozen by Sam to keep his body alive while he was slowly dying of an illness. So his body is still that of a 12-year-old.
- Adding to that, Mr. Toko is absolutely childish. Xolga even lampshades this himself: "I still can't accept the fact that this kid is supposed to be older than me!!"
- Perpetual Smiler: In contrast to Xolga's Perpetual Frowner.
- The Pollyanna: Manages to stay immensely cheerful almost all the time.
- Red Oni: To Xolga's Blue.
- Sidekick: For Xolga.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: Wise guy to Xolga's straight man.
Xolga's Friends and Relatives
Aro UtsugiXolga's father. He walked out on the family to "follow his dreams", which led to Xolga running away from home and Ryoko becoming further depressed to the point of attempting suicide.
- All There in the Manual: His last name.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite how he acts usually, he really loves his son Xolga.
- So Proud of You: Aro's proud of how, despite not receiving much love, Xolga still becomes a well-functioning and independent adult, and wishes he could tell Xolga that.
KaiOne of Xolga's cousins, who is 2 years younger than him. Kai appears through the story, usually to show how much time has passed and what era they ended up in.
- Continuity Nod: A brief one towards Memory Days, when Xolga visits him at the fountain:Xolga: Don't you at least have a girlfriend?Kai: ...It's complicated.
- Demoted to Extra: Is a major character as a romance option in his origin games (the Anime Sim Dates and Memory Days), but has only a supporting role here. However, it's not as bad as other examples, since his perspective of the story is shown in episode three.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: The first time we see him, he sported a Peek-a-Bangs haircut, also with bigger eyes to show that he was still young. Two years later, his hair is cut shorter, a bit similar to how Xolga's hair is.
- Green Eyes: Kai has bright green eyes which always look really kind and expressive, marking him as a Nice Guy.
- Nice Guy: In contrast to Xolga's Jerk with a Heart of Gold and to Mako's colder, more cynical behavior.
- Determinator: Adding to this, Kai's so nice and loves Xolga so much that he is still looking for him after two entire years. Kai only stops when Xolga visits him in the hospital and assures him that he will be alright.
- Perspective Flip: We get to see his POV in the third episode of the first season.
- Secret Keeper: Discovers Xolga's curse in episode 1-8.
- Strong Family Resemblance: This goes two ways. When his hair was still long in the past and his eyes were still big, Kai looked a lot like his brother Mako. But two years later and after that, his hair is cut, his eyes becomes longer and narrower, making him looks similar to Xolga.
LindaXolga's blonde co-worker. She was originally assigned to find the locket inside, but due to an episode she wanted to watch on during that time, she got Xolga and Mr. Toko to do it instead.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Although she rarely appears, the after-effects of what she does (namely, making Xolga and Mr. Toko find the locket for her) is what kick-starts the entire series. If she had done her job herself, things would've gone drastically differently.
Ryoko Satome-UtsugiXolga's mother. An alcoholic, she's described as mean by Xolga.
- All There in the Manual: Her last name.
WalterXolga's boss during his time as a detective. He's peppy, and is the reason Xolga and Mr Toko ever meet.
- Small Role, Big Impact: While he only shows up in the first and last episodes (not counting his appearance in the Lotus-Eater Machine that Xolga gets trapped inside in the finale), he's the one who introduced Xolga and Mr. Toko to each other in the first place, helping set off the events of the plot.
Characters from Mr. Toko's Past
During series 1, episode six, and the second half of series 2, we get to meet some characters from Mr. Toko's past. Keep in mind that, due to how they appear, most tropes will be hidden by spoilers.
Blake / Austin LockwoodOne of the members of the mysterious organization that Toko used to belong to. He was close friends with Mr Toko, just before he wanted to leave the group. During Episode 6 of the first series, he helps him escape. He's very cheery and laid-back, but he has his own tragic past.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: He always wears the suit of the organization.
- Big Brother Instinct: To Mr. Toko, who reminds him of his brother.
- Cynicism Catalyst: He stated that he had a little brother that he lost due to weakness, which might've been why he joined the organization.
- Famous Last Words: "Thanks."
- Pretty Little Headshots: He's killed this way by Issac.
- Posthumous Character: All of episode 6 is an interactive flashback of Mr Toko leaving the organization; Blake's been dead since the very beginning, but you aren't told that he is until the end.
- Purple Eyes: He's very mysterious, and he saves Toko's life off screen by shooting all the turrets above him.
- You Remind Me Of My Little Brother: To Mr. Toko.
IssacThe leader of an organization from Mr. Toko's past. He gives the nicknames to all of his members, as well as apparently saving their lives before he does.
- Boom, Headshot!: Given to Blake.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Which are hidden by his hair, and only are seen one at a time in close-ups. Played with because they always seem to be filled with guilt while also seeming cold.
- Foregone Conclusion: He justifies killing Blake by saying that he was doomed from the start. As well, his organization has a rule; if you leave, you're killed, so you have to serve until you die.
- For Your Own Good: What he tells Johnny before he steals his memories.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Gave Tom a second chance at life by healing him, and then a third for the price of his memories.
- Man in White: An identifiable trait; no one else from the organization that we've seen wears an all-white suit.
- Puzzle Boss: According to Blake, when he switches the locks this usually happens.
- Super Power Lottery: Healing Hands and the ability to block memories.
SamAppearing in series 2, Sam is the figure that's often seen in Mr Toko's dreams and the poem at the beginning of every chapter. It turns out he was friends with Toko, and is the key to his past. But it gets worse.
- Everything's Better with Plushies: Sam was actually just a doll. But thanks to the love Tom/Mr. Toko had for him, he gained a human heart and soul. The "human" version of him, which Mr. Toko talked to, was his soul.
- Posthumous Character: He's actually "dead" when you meet up with him in the ending of series 2, episode 7. What Tom speaks to is a sort of "ghost". His real body is a doll.
- Walking Spoiler: Sam was an important character of Mr. Toko's past, being his doll, his imaginary friend, one of the only two people - the other being Issac - to know his real name, and the one who froze the time for 9 years in order to keep Mr. Toko's body alive, until he was found and cured by Issac.