open/close all folders
The protagonist pack
- Extra Eye: Has three.
- Fang Thpeak: The creator actually asks people to point out "s" sounds in English, so that Iacar's speech can be fixed—er, fikfed.
- Full-Boar Action: Has a very boar like appearance and is even refered to boar face by the wolf captive.
- Mighty Glacier: Due to his short legs and thick torso his can't run very fast but these same traits also make him very physically powerful.
- Big Brother Instinct: Gender-flipped. She's very protective of her brother. When he's scared he'll slip into panic madness again, she promises she wont let it happen to him.
- Brother–Sister Team: With Hafmar when it comes to hunting. The two are by far the most skilled hunters of the pack and without them they pack wouldn't have been able to support themselves in the crater.
- Lady of War: In build. In attitude, not so much.
- Monochromatic Eyes: Due to having semi-reflective corneas, as explained here. It probably helps in bright conditions, but it's a definite disadvantage in darkness. Which is why Surama is so vocally opposed to darkness.
- Multiple-Tailed Beast: She has two tails as one of her mutations.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With her brother. She's more aggressive and domineering, while he is more sensitive and emotional.
- Overly Long Tongue: Has one and also uses it to disturb Azrabak
- Outnumbered Sibling: Four brothers and no sisters, and three of them are older than her. The fourth is Hafmar.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers one to Iacar, calling him out on his lack of proper leadership after Niavel joins the pack.
- Token Girl: Of the original hound gang. Niavel later joins them and thus brings the number up to two.
Sinjal (aka Crippled)
- An Arm and a Leg: His lack of back paws aren't actually a birth defect, they were bitten off by a cave beast when he was young.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: While this applies to all Deepblooded for reasons of safety, Crippled isn't even fully equipped and is sickly to boot.
- Creepy Long Fingers: They're long, boney and human-like, one of the guard dogs even calls it creepy and unnatural. Flashbacks show that he used to have long skeletal toes as well.
- Disability Superpower: He has excellent hearing.
- Distressed Dude: When he's captured by the guard dogs.
- Ill Girl: Gender-flipped. He's always sickly and emaciated due to having two not fully functioning hearts and a wonky digestive system. Typically Iacar, Morri and Iralbe carry him on their backs.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Due to Iacar not being able to pronounce his real name properly.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: Courtesy of a screwed-up digestive system.
- Basso Profundo: The reason for the heavy outlines on his speech bubbles. He was once described by Papermonkey as "quite a sub-woofer.
- Canis Major: He's huge and rawboned with greyhound-long legs, and towers over the rest of the pack.
- Extra Eyes: He has seven eyes on his head but apparently the number of eye sockets means less room for jaw muscles so his bite isn't as strong as it could be.
- Gentle Giant: Is massive in size and has the nicest temperament of the pack, he is also the one who carries around Crippled the most.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: The Morrigan
(Name of) Iralbe
- Ambiguous Gender: Niavel first takes Iralbe for a male, but he then reveals he's actually intersex. The author's confirmed he can be referred to with they/them pronouns as well.
- Eyeless Face: With heat vision. Also surpringly expressive.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: On his (??) tongue.
- Green Eyes: When the eyes are drawn in colour.
- The Medic: Or "wounder".
- No Biological Sex: As a whispering one he has no genitalsnote but is refered as male for simplicity sake.
- Tempting Fate: In this Fourth-Wall Mail Slot. Eye Scream ensues.
- The Berserker: In panic madness, he's out-and-out killed a dog guard and severely wounded two others.
- The Chick, albeit Gender Flipped
- Ear Notch: Started out with one ear ripped; got the other one mangled in the third book right before completely flipping out.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: He has a second row of teeth on his lower jaw.
- Perp Sweating: Briefly, courtesy of Surama.
- The Sixth Ranger: Joins the hounds since he has little skill in combat and is being chased for what he knows.
- The Unpronounceable: The hounds certainly think so.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: He's a Deepblooded, and therefore forbidden from mating.
- The Unintelligible: His enormous lower jaw makes his speech difficult to understand (even more so than Iacar), so Riega acts as his interpreter.
Arramos the Gateguard
- The Berserker: He suffers from panic madness, which is pretty similar.
- Shout-Out: Cerberus's life sucks.
- Unstoppable Rage: While in panic madness (though it's more like Unstoppable Fear).
Iralbe (the Elder)
- Insistent Terminology: He is not a wolf.
- Interspecies Romance: She got romantically involved with Issan, a craterhound (though technically, it isn't really interspecies since craterhounds are just mutants).
- Someone to Remember Him By: As discovered by Crippled here.