open/close all folders
The protagonist pack
- Fang Thpeak: The creator actually asks people to point out "s" sounds in English, so that Iacar's speech can be fixed—er, fikfed.
- Full-Boar Action: Has a very boar like appearance and is even refered to boar face by the wolf captive.
- Mighty Glacier: Due to his short legs and thick torso his can't run very fast but these same traits also make him very physically powerful.
- Lady of War: In build. In attitude, not so much.
- Monochromatic Eyes: Due to having semi-reflective corneas, as explained here. It probably helps in bright conditions, but it's a definite disadvantage in darkness. Which is why Surama is so vocally opposed to darkness.
- Overly Long Tongue: Has one and also uses it to disturb Azrabak
- Outnumbered Sibling: Four brothers and no sisters, and three of them are older than her. The fourth is Hafmar.
Sinjal (aka Crippled)
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: While this applies to all Deepblooded for reasons of safety, Crippled isn't even fully equipped and is sickly to boot.
- Disability Superpower: He has excellent hearing.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Due to Iacar not being able to pronounce his real name properly.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: Courtesy of a screwed-up digestive system.
- Basso Profundo: The reason for the heavy outlines on his speech bubbles. He was once described by Papermonkey as "quite a sub-woofer.
- Canis Major: He's huge and rawboned with greyhound-long legs, and towers over the rest of the pack.
- Extra Eyes: He has seven eyes on his head but apparently the number of eye sockets means less room for jaw muscles so his bite isn't as strong as it could be.
- Gentle Giant: Is massive in size and has the nicest temperament of the pack, he is also the one who carries around Crippled the most.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: The Morrigan
(Name of) Iralbe
- Eyeless Face: With heat vision. Also surpringly expressive.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: On his (??) tongue.
- The Medic: Or "wounder".
- No Biological Sex: As a whispering one he has no genitalsnote but is refered as male for simplicity sake.
- Tempting Fate: In this Fourth-Wall Mail Slot. Eye Scream ensues.
- The Berserker: In panic madness, he's out-and-out killed a dog guard and severely wounded two others.
- The Chick, albeit Gender Flipped
- Ear Notch: Started out with one ear ripped; got the other one mangled in the third book right before completely flipping out.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: He has a second row of teeth on his lower jaw.
- Perp Sweating: Briefly, courtesy of Surama.
- The Sixth Ranger: Joins the hounds since he has little skill in combat and is being chased for what he knows.
- The Unpronounceable: The hounds certainly think so.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: He's a Deepblooded, and therefore forbidden from mating.
- The Unintelligible: His enormous lower jaw makes his speech difficult to understand (even more so than Iacar), so Riega acts as his interpreter.
Arramos the Gateguard
- The Berserker: He suffers from panic madness, which is pretty similar.
- Shout-Out: Cerberus's life sucks.
- Unstoppable Rage: While in panic madness (though it's more like Unstoppable Fear).
Iralbe (the Elder)
- Insistent Terminology: He is not a wolf.
- Interspecies Romance: She got romantically involved with Issan, a craterhound (though technically, it isn't really interspecies since craterhounds are just mutants).
- Someone to Remember Him By: As discovered by Crippled here.