open/close all folders
CLICK HERE FOR HIS GENDER-BENT APPEARANCE AS "RIKO"
Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe
Sainan High School: 2nd YearThe protagonist and resident Chick Magnet. An ordinary, shy teenage boy who's deeply in love with his long term crush Haruna Sairenji, but has the worst luck when it comes to love much less telling her how he feels about her. After sulking in his bathtub one night, a sexy naked pink-haired girl emerges from his tub. Turns out that said girl — Lala — is an extraterrestrial royal princess from the faraway planet of Deviluke looking for an excuse not to go home, setting off Rito's daily routine of trouble and unintentional perversions which get more and more ridiculous as the series progresses.
- Above the Influence: So much so that he can even resist Sephie Deviluke's natural allure without issue. She mentions that the only other person to share this iron clad resolve is her husband.
- Accidental Kiss: With Ren. Naturally Rito takes it hard, moreso in the manga, where he beats up Ren for it, starting with a flying kick and progressing to a Big Ball of Violence.
- In Chapter 54 of Darkness, he has one with Haruna Sairenji.
- Accidental Pervert: Quite possibly a contender for Trope Codifier. Rito is often a victim to streams of otherworldly mischief and chaos around him, such as Lala's inventions, Oshizu's psychic powers, or Celine's pollens. But even without such interferences throwing him around, Rito is already often clumsy enough around women to trip over minor obstacles or absolutely nothing, and when he does, he rarely fails to accidentally reach his hands or face into the breasts or other private parts of any girl in close proximity to him. In "Darkness", his clumsiness becomes even more frequent and violating as well as strangely inventive and surreal. He has shown to be able to accomplish difficult feats, such as reaching his hands or various objects into the clothing and undergarments of girls or partially strip off their clothing, and grab several private parts of several girls all at once, all of which purely by accident. And trying to prevent a perverted accident, will just make the accident worse.
- Several characters such as Nana even lampshade his piss poor luck when it comes to over the top ecchi scenarios. Momo calls Rito's ability a god-like skill. Even Nemesis is impressed by this (for the wrong reasons)!
- During his "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight with Darkness Yami, he must literally do that on his own free will, when any other time would be the end of him.
- Doctor Mikado suspects that Rito's strange and godly "acts of god" manifested because of the way Rito extremely restrained himself with the girls, causing his "libido" to accumulate and release in form of accidentally groping girls' bodies and all other perverted stuffs happened so far. She called his act a disease, namely Cataplectic Indecency Syndrome. The more he supressed, the more extreme and unbelievable his next "accidents" would be. His libido can act freely when Rito's own consciousness weakens, and the most prominent example is how he became frisky during his sleep, molesting Momo in the process. According to Mikado, this actually transcends anything that can be classified as a disease or anything that one could call "curable". She tells him that if anything he should embrace it as talent and put it to good use saying that he could turn any girl to putty in his hands.
- Run and Nemesis verify in chapter 68 that it is a completely sub-conscious activity, as Run's alien Brown Note aphrodisiac machine shuts down his higher reasoning, and his groping's got her in post-orgasmic afterglow before he prepares to remove her panties and mount her, doggy-style, over a school desk.
- Currently the Pantheon God of Accidental Perverts
- Accidental Proposal: Played completely straight in the first anime series (never happens in the manga), combined with Thanks for the Mammary and it's how the story begins. Lala teleports naked into his bathtub, while he's there, winds up with her breasts in his hands, and that's an official marriage proposal for Deviluke.... Which makes one wonder about how she met all her other suitors.
- Allergic to Love: Even touching a girl's "parts", just thinking about Haruna in a swimsuit or seeing a naked girl will freak the hell out of him and send him running away. He gets a lot better as time goes on, but is still liable to freak out if it goes too far.
- In regards to Lala, Rito isn't certain if what he feels for her is genuine love or merely lust.
- Anchored Ship: He's well aware of Lala's affections for him (as well as his own to her) and the possibility of the hots the other girls have for him (thanks to Momo), but decides not to act on any of it in the meantime until he is finally able to confess to Haruna. This causes quite a bit of stress for him.
- Aroused by Their Voice: When a phone is broken and repaired/enhanced by Lala it has the side effect of enhancing his voice so that anyone talking to him on the phone a sensation akin to being fondled and caressed. Yui ends up enduring an entire conversation with him leaving her in post-orgasmic afterglow unable to move or talk. Momo collapses in a heap after one sentence.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Very much so.
- Whenever Rito is "Riko", this unfortunately has the side effect of his best male friend lusting after him/her.
- Baleful Polymorph: A Running Gag in the series is that Rito is constantly getting transformed into different shapes or things, whether they be animals, objects, or different sizes due to Lala's inventions; whether or not it was a malfunction or an accident.
- The Beard: Lala initially uses him as a fake fiancé, but when he tells her she shouldn't marry someone she doesn't love (him) she takes it as him understanding her situation of constant marriage meetings and falls for him for real.
- Beneficial Disease: According to Mikado in chapter 66 of Darkness, Rito's near constant "accidental" pervert situations result from an incurable disease of alien origin. While Rito doesn't see it as "beneficial," every girl in his harem does, including Yami though she's not likely to admit it. And yes, it's contagious. Several of Rito's love interests already suffer from it.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While the manga has less emphasis on this, give Rito a good reason and he will hit you. This was first displayed when Ghi Bree kidnaps and starts molesting Haruna, and Rito attacks him outright. He's shown no hesitation in fighting Ren when the latter attacks him or does something else that pisses him off, and on several occasions yells at girls that give him grief.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Part of his problem with the fairer sex.
- At the end of the original manga, Rito finally has the guts to confess to Lala his true feelings for her and she encourages he do the same to Haruna. Just as he's about to confess to the girl of his dreams, Oshizu accidentally undoes Haruna's top from afar causing her to run away in embarrassment. Having come this far, Rito goes ahead and shouts the three magic words to a group of girls who like him to varying degrees. He later sulks about this in the bathtub despite quickly explaining he meant he loved the pool to said group
- Catch Phrase:"It's not what it looks like!"
- Characterization Marches On: He began the story as a guy who couldn't even think of Haruna in a swimsuit without overheating, fainting, and nosebleeds. By the time the Darkness series comes around, he's only mildly annoyed with Nemesis manifesting in a way that makes it look like she's auditioning for hentai.
- Chaste Hero: He's generally more concerned about the hijinks the girls will cast him upon than their feelings for him. With that being said, one has to wonder how in the bloody hell he hasn't lost his virginity yet. Especially in Darkness which puts Rito in even ''crazier'' scenarios that straddle the line with being softcore porn.
- According to Mikado, his chaste nature is the cause of these scenarios, as he's apparently too chaste for his own good. The sooner he confesses to Haruna, the better off he'll be for it.
- The Chew Toy: Especially if Golden Darkness is involved...
- Chick Magnet: For a dork who couldn't confess to the girl he crushed on day in and day out, having a sexy alien princess come into his life has done wonders for Rito in more ways than one. He has so many girls after him, a good majority of which are royalty, that Momo has decided that it would be much simpler if he just married all of them.
- Covert Pervert: He is one which a bit of a surprise considering he is Allergic to Love to a small degree. First it began with the few and far between Imagine Spots centered solely around Haruna, before branching out a bit to include others. By Darkness he seems to be strangely fine with the 'Harem Plan' and dreaming of naked girls in the bath, or any time one (or more) of the girls makes sexual innuendo, especially Momo.
- He calls himself a pervert when he realized that he recognized Momo from the shape of her butt (while transformed into a mouse and looking up at her from the floor). He can also recognize Nemesis in her alternate form by contacting with her crotch.
- Crossdressing Voices: Can be temporarily averted every time he turns into "Riko".
- Cursed with Awesome: Many people on both sides of the fourth wall would love to be able to find themselves in very erotic situations with girls that are quite physically attractive, be able to legitimately call it an "accident" and have those girls fall madly in love with them, as a direct result. Unfortunately, Rito's quite Allergic to Love, and gets quite a bit of Unprovoked Pervert Payback too.
- Female Gaze: Several girls see him naked in Darkness. Momo since the first chapter where both are in the bathtub and Rito gets up suddenly.
- First Kiss: Ren notwithstanding, with Haruna Sairenji as of Chapter 54 of Darkness.
- Flanderization: In the first series, his perverted accidents were more often caused by Lala's inventions, rather than Rito's own clumsiness. In the sequel "Darkness", he can hardly take a step without tripping onto a girl in a suggestive position. As a result, this has become his principal hallmark.
- Additionally, Rito's nice guy personality was nowhere near as prominent in the early chapters as it is today.
- Forgotten First Meeting: Oblivious to the fact that he and Yui, who has just recently remembered, met many years ago.
- Gender Bender: Happens five times, all thanks to Lala. Complete with the alias "Riko".
- Genre Savvy: In Darkness, it's gotten to the point that when Lala introduces new untested inventions, he forcefully confiscates them to keep trouble to a minimum. It malfunctions on him anyway.
- Good Parents: Unlike his own father, and his mother, he's made damn sure Celine is left wanting for nothing, food, clothing, shelter, or especially affection.
- Gut Feeling: He's an excellent judge of character. Even at times that he can't offer a rational explanation, he has never once had reason, outside Rule of Funny, to truly regret the times he's offered a helping hand to a prior antagonist. His harem is staffed with some of the most beautiful and powerful women in the universe as a direct result. If Rito ever refuses to come to someone's aid, that person has more than earned what's coming.
- Hates Being Touched: Hates it when girls start clinging onto him. This is more due to embarrassment than anything else. Lately, though, he starts to improve, and even stood up for Run when Yui chastised her for clinging to him.
- This also extends to the times when he's a she for the rest of the chapter/episode.
- Hot-Blooded: Despite being a normal human, he's more than ready to dive headfirst into the line of fire to protect the girls around him.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Except that's not gonna happen anytime soon...
- Inexplicably Awesome: While his unique clumsiness with the girls is not exactly a true skill which he would ever be proud of, it's nonetheless become one of his trademark characteristics, the frequency and coincidence of which are nothing less than extraordinary.
- Chapter 66 of Darkness lampshades this, when Doctor Mikado is convinced that all of his Accidental Pervert situations are not the disease, but instead his natural talent!
- Instant Waking Skills: Rito wakes up fast when Momo or Lala sneak into his bed...sometimes.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Just how does he manage to recover from all that slapping and/or beating up from various characters?
- Lust Object: A male example. All the girls love him, but some of them have also a sexual desire. Especially Momo. She often sneaks into his room and enjoys it when he "plays" with her body while he is sleeping.
- Male Frontal Nudity: Hits Yami with this. Since he immediately falls unconscious, rather that getting beaten up, she re-dresses him, and tries to pretend that nothing happened.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman: Subverted in the first series. When Rito is transformed into a girl, he feels his new breast, checks that he is now all female with his hands, before promptly freaking out and then being too nervous to even see himself naked.
- In Darkness, on the fifth time he was turned into a girl he has to change clothes and, while initially still embarrassed, he finally reasons that he shouldn't be upset by his own body, then take his first good look at it. He briefly holds his own breasts, but still finds it more alien than arousing.
- Morality Pet: Many of the girls in his Unwanted Harem have become better people as a direct result of interacting with him. Yami went from being a cold-blooded, emotionless assassin, to an adorable little Tsundere who just Cannot Spit It Out. Mea actually saved Rin's life despite being introduced as someone who would perform Rape by Proxy by using More Than Mind Control, and even Nemesis has become more mischievous than outright malicious.
- Nice Guy: A veritable saint for not snapping/forcing himself onto one of the (many) hot girls after all this sexy extraterrestial insanity. Sadly, the lengths to which he goes to restrain himself only make his Accidental Pervert situations increasingly outrageous.
- At least several of the girls (Momo and Run at the bare minimum) would have absolutely no problem with Rito "forcing himself" upon them. That's not to say he HASN'T given the idea of having sex with one of the many beautiful girls who like him a thought or two. What he says to Yui in Chapter 4 of Darkness after she says she doesn't mind if he does "shameless things" to her and only her (although she tries to pass said words off as a joke) pretty much implies this.
- Non-Action Guy: Justified. He is an ordinary human boy with no superhuman abilities of any kind .
- Not So Different: Surprisingly to Gid Deviluke. To wit, their lists of berserk buttons are nearly identical, they're both so Above the Influence as to be immune to Charmian powers and they're both a Badass Pacifist, although Gid is a Martial Pacifist while Rito is a Technical Pacifist.
- Secret Keeper: One of his most defining virtues is that he knows when to keep his mouth shut. He protected the secret that Mea was an alien shape-shifter Living Weapon until she was ready to reveal it herself, as well as protecting the alien heritage of various other characters. All the ladies of his harem readily agree that he has their trust because if they share something in confidence with him, he won't repeat it.
- Sharing a Body: After Nemesis' battle with Gid nearly killed her, Rito offered his body for her to use as a temporary vessel until she recovered her strength. Much to his chagrin, this allows her to take control of his body to say and do things he normally wouldn't such as being openly perverted and jumping Momo to fondle her. And she's only gaining more control as her strength returns.
- Sex God: Despite being a generally innocent boy without perverted intentions, Rito appears to have sexual talents which he himself is not entirely aware of. Nemesis complimented his "technique" on pleasuring women when she ordered him to massage her shoulders. Momo believes the same thing about him when he fondles her in his sleep, which she greatly enjoys, and has made it a goal of hers to bring out his "inner harem king". Other times, whenever Rito trips and falls into a girl, some of the ways he manages to accidentally touch them seem to overtake them with an overwhelming sense of aroused euphoria before they notice what's just happened.
- Chapter 66 states that this is a result of Rito extremely holding himself back around women, and his accidents are his body and subconscious venting his excess libido. Yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds.
- Sleepwalking: Stated to be "wild" when he's asleep according to Momo. And by that, she means that should a girl get close enough to him while he's asleep (say by getting into his bed alongside him), he'll eventually grab on to her and start fondling her without ever waking up... while talking about sweets.
- The So-Called Coward: Rito didn't hesistate to rush in to fight this guy◊ to protect Haruna and Lala. Sure, Ghi Bree turns out to be a frail weakling with powers of Voluntary Shapeshifting that made him look like a roid-raging demon, but nobody told him that. In Darkness, he was willing to go up against Azenda the Tyrant, the previous #1 assassin in the galaxy, while protecting Yami and Mikan, and actually (briefly) held his own until Momo came to the rescue.
- Sweet Tooth: At least twice while he was talking in his sleep, usually whenever unconsciously feeling up the latest girl who sneaks into his bed.
- Take Me Instead: He will happily sacrifice his own life to protect the ladies in his harem. Unfortunately, when it comes to Black, he'll just kill them anyway.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Usually about sweets.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Though he didn't say it out loud, he definitely believed this concerning Ghii Bree's treatment of Haruna.
- This Loser Is You: Originally, though he does develop as a character over time.
- Took a Level in Badass: The overarching plot in Darkness has given Rito something to do, rather than being a passive victim of the universe. To wit, he manages to face down Gid Deviluke for the sake of Nemesis, Gid's duly impressed.
- Training from Hell: Yami credits her near-constant attempts to kill him for coming across this way. Many characters note that he has survived situations no normal human possibly could.
- Tranquil Fury: It doesn't happen very often, but when he's calm, quiet, and rooted in place, it means he's well and truly pissed! Ghii Bree was the first to experience this. Had Rito not realized that Ghii is a truly pathetic weakling, Ghii would have been pound into paste, literally, for what the latter did to Haruna.
- Twice Shy: With Haruna.
- Unconscious Objector: An unusual case. While he doesn't display martial arts skill in his sleep, he does express exceptional intimate knowledge of a woman's erogenous zones when his consciousness shuts down. Nemesis notes in chapter 68, that his actions under the influence of the alien aprhodisiac is identical to what he normally does in his sleep. If she hadn't stepped in and took control for a few moments...
- Understanding Boyfriend: To legendary levels. Although he does have hard limits, and yells at any of his haremettes who go too far, he takes pretty much everything they throw at him in stride, and clearly treasures each and every one of the girls that surround him, regardless of their wacky antics.
- Unlucky Everydude: Has trouble confessing his love to Haruna, then after Lala comes along, he seems unable to go through a day without being an Accidental Pervert and chastised by any girl he happens to fall on.
- Unwanted Harem: THE shining example of this trope. As of Darkness roughly 7-8 women all having varying interests in him and theres even a few women who could potentially become part of the harem should circumstances permit.
Voiced by: Kana HanazawaRito's younger, more level-headed sister, Mikan's way too mature for an eleven-year-old (later twelve), having learned to take care of herself at a young age and reportedly has hordes of admirers. That being said, accusations are leveled against Mikan by her own friends and peers as to where her true affections lie.
- A-Cup Angst: Like most girls in the cast, she is also aware of her breast size and often feels inferior when comparing other girls' to hers, mostly Lala, although her physique is quite normal for her age. Despite this, she still feels insecure about this, and has developed a positive connection with Nana due to their similar chest-related angst.
- Bathtub Bonding: By chapter 70 of Darkness, she and Rito are comfortable enough being nude around each other that they can bathe together without issue. Mikan realizes this puts her in the undisputed lead for Rito's affections, and secretly greatly appreciates it.
- Big Brother Attraction: The series skirts this trope quite a bit, more so come Darkness, such as telling Rito that they may be Not Blood Siblings just to see his reaction.
- Howewer, she is totally not interested in boys that are not his brother. Her friends believe that the reason she rejects many interested boys at school is because she already has a "wonderful Onii-chan". Their impression comes from the fact that Mikan talks about Rito a lot at school, despite mostly calling him a useless big brother who's nothing really great. Plus, she often worries about being seperated from him.
- Cool Big Sis: It was far more obvious early in the manga, but the calmer, more rational Mikan served as an "older sister" of sorts to her older brother Rito despite being younger than him. She was the one who listened to him, hung out with him, and she also did almost all the chores and cleaning in the house at first in the manga.
- Dude Magnet: She is continually being asked out by the boys in her class. Unfortunately for the guys, she's a Bro-con in denial. It seems the Yuuki family is God's gift to the opposite sex.
- Erotic Eating: Official art really likes showing her sucking and licking on ice cream and popsicles. Up to Eleven in "Darkness" where the erotic part is more blatant.
- Fear of Thunder: It is revealed that, as a child, Mikan is terrified of thunder and lightning, though Rito would always comfort her and lend his support despite getting scared by it himself.
- Girlish Pigtails: In her younger years.
- Good Parents: To Celine. On those rare occasions where Rito can't take care of Celine, Mikan is the primary one to fill in. Of note, Mikan is Celine's favorite bathing partner, and if Celine ever catches Mikan bathing, she will strip herself and leap into Mikan's arms. Also, Celine's crib is in Mikan's room.
- Little Miss Snarker: Especially when she catches her older brother in a compromising position with either Lala or Momo...
- Little Sister Instinct: Like a big sister or mother, she would try to protect Rito from sexual temptations, and doesn't like it when girls with more perverted tendencies like Momo and Mea would do perverted things to him. She tries as often as she can to watch out whenever Momo gets the opportunity to be alone with Rito, and even guards his room at night to stop her from sneaking in and sleeping next to him.
- Mood Killer: Whenever it looks like Rito is going to lose that pesky virginity of his, she's the one most likely to put a stop to it, even without intending to.
- Morality Pet: To Yami. Mikan is essentially the only person Yami truly considers as a friend, and has become willing to put her own life at risk to protect her.
- Ms. Fanservice: Not in the first series, but in "Darkness" has many scene where she is naked and barely covered by Scenery Censor.
- Only Sane Man: It's a worrying state of affairs when one of the most mature, down-to-earth kids in town is a little girl who has barely hit puberty. Partially downplayed come Darkness, though, where puberty does hit her hard emotionally.
- Supreme Chef: She is a very good cook, and ends up teaching Yami and Mea a little bit as well.
- Those Two Girls: She is seen to have two female friends at school named Sachi and Mami.
- Token Mini-Moe: After Celine, is the youngest character in the cast.
- What Does She See in Him?: Amusingly, after all the chapters of the main series, and almost 70 chapters of Darkness, she finally starts to wonder why Rito is a Chick Magnet after Yami confesses her feelings for him to her.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: As a younger sister, Mikan is widely known for her maturity and reliability for her age. She basically acts as a big sister, wife, or mother to Rito and all who live in her house.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Type B.
Voiced by: Keiji FujiwaraRito and Mikan's father, who's a manga artist. Rito would sometimes stop by his father's workplace to help draw the finishing touches.
- Bumbling Dad: He seems to have a bit of a goofy side.
- Happily Married: With Ringo
- Married to the Job: He lives in his own apartment/studio where he does his work as a mangaka.
- Martial Arts Headband: Wears a red headband.
- Open-Minded Parent: Like Mikan, he is very casual, even amused, with his son's relationship with an alien girl, something Rito finds perplexing about his family.
Voiced by: Sayaka OharaRito and Mikan's mother, who works overseas as a fashion designer. From time to time, she returns to Japan to check up on the family.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Just for the sake of acquiring their "measurements", she has no issue fondling with Lala and Haruna's bodies, and was on the verge of stripping them down before Rito stepped in to stop her.
- The Fashionista: Ringo's profession.
- Hair Decorations: A pair of sunglasses.
- Happily Married: With Saibai.
- Married to the Job: Normally working overseas, every once in a while she returns home to check up on the family.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Rito and Mikan got their eyes from her side of the family.
Sainan High School
Voiced by: Sayuri Yahagi
Sainan High School: 2nd YearThe original subject of Rito's affections (and sometimes perverted fantasies), Haruna is the sweet, kind Girl Next Door of their class. As it turns out, she, too, has unspoken feelings for the boy. When Lala came into their lives, instead of a simmering love triangle she quickly became friends with Lala, and even admits to her that she also loves Rito, a feeling Lala encourages.
- Accidental Kiss/ First Kiss: With Rito in Darkness.
- A-Cup Angst: Played with — she's got quite a decent chest, but when the idea that Rito likes girls with big breasts gets planted into her head, she starts getting more depressed and self-conscious. Only after remembering a speech by Rito about how True Beauty Is on the Inside while comforting Nana (herself suffering from a twice-in-magnitude, justifiable case of this) does she snap out of it and regains confidence in herself.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Lala's Veronica.
- Class Representative: She's representative for a year, then declines to run again. Then Lala and Yui vie for the spot the next year. Haruna wins anyway because no one wants to vote for Lala or Yui. (Yui's a hardass, and Lala has no clue what she's doing.)
- Covert Pervert: One chapter of Darkness has her fantasizing about Rito bathing her. And by "bathing" we mean heavy petting with sexual undertones.
- Curtains Match the Window: Haruna has both blue hair and blue eyes.
- Demoted to Extra / Out of Focus: Haruna began declining in appearances for quite awhile as Yui was slowly overtaking her spotlight. Understandable, considering the fact that by this time in real-life Kentaro Yabuki's wife, who served as model for Haruna, divorced him, triggering his Creator Breakdown that eventually resulted in the cancellation of the original series.
- Though in more recent chapters of Darkness, she is getting the occasional Day in the Limelight again.
- Girl Next Door: Very much so.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: While trapped in a haunted house and confronted with the prospect of being raped, an adrenaline and fear-fueled Haruna picks up Rito and tosses him into the monster.
- Haruna's typical reaction to anything threatening is to pick up Rito and use him as a hammer. On one occasion, it creates a tornado.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Early in the manga, Rito describes her with black hair; subsequent recoloring changed it to dark purple.
- Hair Decorations: She always wears a red vertical hair clip on the left of her head.
- Naked Apron: In Chapter 42.5 of the Darkness manga during her Imagine Spot of cooking for Rito.
- Not Herself: A rather frequent victim of this. Over the course of the series, she successively freaks out from fear and starts using Rito as a weapon, becomes a Genki Girl when possessed by Oshizu, turns into a sadistic Alpha Bitch because of an alien medicine, and in Darkness gets drunk on a Devilukian soda, making her much more forward toward Rito.
- Nice Girl: In contrast to Lala's Genki Girl and Yui's Tsundere tendencies. Haruna is also a very kind, understanding and patient person, to the point that she's polite to everyone around her, especially to Rito. Despite his perverted clumsiness, she always forgives him in time.
- Only Sane Man: In her family, between her sister misreading events between her and Rito and her parents being Sickeningly Sweethearts. In Darkness, she's obviously humiliated by her parents' chatter while stuck together with Rito.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Lala's Red.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: She is not only a frequent victim of Rito's perverted clumsiness, but Risa and Mio, her close friends, constantly grope her.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: It is her genuine wish to be with Rito, though her shyness and his clumsiness stand as the obstacles for her to advance.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She love Rito since from middle school.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Haruna first took notice of Rito existence when he won the school festival for his class, and she has realized and remembered that he must be a kind person since she noticed him taking care of the flowers at school when they were neglected by others.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She has a severe fear of ghosts and the supernatural with the exception being Oshizu, but only for a while. When frightened, she has a habit of grabbing the nearest thing around her – typically Rito – and swinging wildly, in an attempt to get rid of whatever frightens her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue hair.
Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka
Sainan High School: 2nd YearHead of Sainan High School's Public Morals Committee, Yui is seemingly obsessed with everything being proper and decent. Much to her displeasure, most of Rito's troubles has dragged her along with him. Thanks to spending time with him, Yui admits she can't deny she has some affection for Rito, but develops an exceptional case of "Cannot Spit It Out".
- Accidental Misnaming: A common gag is that some characters cannot remember Kotegawa's family name, calling her "Kokegawa" instead.
- Accidental Pervert: Come Darkness, and she has caught Rito's now contagious "godly falling technique" causing her to pull his pants down and plant her face right in his crotch, in full view of Risa and Nana... She's suitably horrified.
- Ascended Extra: Following a certain point in the first manga, Yui was given increasingly greater exposure even as Haruna appeared less and less.
- Demoted to Extra: Not more in "Darkness" where her screentime is a little reduced.
- Butt Monkey/The Chew Toy: Initially, the harder she tries to keep order, the more screwy fate treats her. Seriously, just how many times has she been involved in Rito's... accidents?
- Buxom Is Better: As Risa thinks of her. She telling Yui that she should appeal to boys using her chest.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Much like Rito, Yui cannot be honest with her feelings.
- Catch Phrase"How shameless!"
- Character Development: After going through Defrosting Ice Queen. As the series goes on, her Tsundere, and Covert Pervert traits really start to take over.
- Character Exaggeration: The first anime series makes her seem like a real bitch in her first introduction episode compared to manga. She believed that Rito was the cause of all the inappropriate actions happening in school and persuades the Principal to punished him by forbidding him from making any contact with girls for two weeks, including outside school. Only at the end of the episode did she notice how wrong she was, and that Rito is a kind person.
- Characterization Marches On: In her debut chapters, Yui played up the straight man to the otherwise wacky cast's antics; a stern girl who believed in rules and ideals. Come the end of the original manga, she's used as the comic relief/guinea pig for various perverted situations. And by Darkness she's no less odd/wacky than the rest of the cast.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Being a tsundere, this is natural. She hates seeing and hearing about Rito's accidents with other girls. When she hears that Risa took Rito up to the roof, she sprints up several flights of stairs in short order to reach them.
- Control Freak: An extreme example. One chapter shows her giving demerits for every wrongdoing of her classmates. This even extends to her household, where she hounds her older brother for going around shirtless.
- Cool Big Sis: To Nana, who sees her as a role model.
- Covert Pervert: She protests Rito's Accidental Pervert moments a little too vigorously, and she's the one non-overtly-perverted cast member who's receptive of Rito's attention, much as she's loathe to admit it. She also often imagine herself married with him and...pregnant.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Her eyes are the same shade of brown as her hair.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She initially acts bitchy to both Rito and Lala. Over time, she loosens up a bit and even picks on Rito when he has one of his classic "accidents". This ultimately culminates in Chapter 4 of Darkness where she finds herself in Rito's room laying on his bed wearing nothing but a button up shirt confiding to Rito that she finally understands that basically boys will be boys even if they do perverted things. She even implies she wouldn't mind if Rito would like to do "shameless things" with her as long as it's only her. Yui then tries to pass off what she said as a joke and even claims it was all a test afterwards when Rito fumbles for the right response.
- Fanservice Pack: Compared to her first appearance, she is considerably more buxom as noted by many characters. Now she and Lala sports nearly identical curvaceous figures and together are considered to have most attractive bodies on school by others girls.
- Forgotten First Meeting: Recently remembered that she already met Rito a long time ago.
- Girlish Pigtails: As a child.
- Going Commando: After an incident involving a school thug and Yami (where the latter accidentally cut off her underwear in the process), she is forced into this situation.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Almost completely in denial about her feelings for Rito, even unto herself — more so when she makes him chocolate for Valentine's, all the while insisting that it's just "obligatory chocolate", and after imagining herself becoming married to Rito and eventually pregnant. Right, Yui, you just keep saying that to yourself...
- Hypocritical Humor: Risa notes how hilarious it is that a Sour Prude like her has so curvy a body.
- If It's You, It's Okay: What she says to Rito in Chapter 4 of Darkness. In typical Tsundere fashion, Yui tries to deny being serious about what she said...
- Inconvenient Summons: A flashback in chapter 44.5 shows she's been the victim of this due to one of Lala's inventions; she is accidentally summoned by Rito while she is naked in the bath. An event which parodies and deconstructs the Anime's rendition of Lala's first meeting with Rito.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Only short of owning one. She even goes window-shopping at pet stores and a lot of her belongings are cat-themed, including a meowing ringtone set to (you guessed it) Rito's number.
- The Modest Orgasm: In one of the bonus chapters from the Darkness series, Yui ends up in a compromising position on a train with a bag containing a vibrating toy pressed up against her crotch. The afterglow in the subsequent scene makes it obvious what happened, but she apparently controlled herself well enough that nobody noticed.
- Ms. Fanservice: Of the human girls, she provide the majority of Fanservice (unintentionally).
- Not So Different: With Rito of all people when it comes to relationship woes minus the over the top ecchi scenarios.
- Only Sane Woman: She sees herself in this way. Word of God stated that she was introduced for have a character with a common sense in the group.
- Out of Focus: In "Darkness" she is the main focus just in few stories while usually she must share the screentime with other characters like Haruna.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Almost every encounter with Rito usually ends up with her embarrassed, naked or groped (sometimes all three combined).
- Rescue Romance: After Rito saves Yui from a group of delinquents, she develops feelings for him.
- Sour Prude: Frequently chides other students for their "inappropriate" behavior and asserts herself to be uninterested in anything related to sex.
- Tsundere: A classic Type A. Her default expression in the beginning seems to be a scowl, and Rito is surprised the first time he sees her smile. She even acts tsundere towards a cat in an episode of Motto To Love-Ru.
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
Sainan High School: 3rd YearSainan High's queen bee who considers Lala her rival. Of course, her numerous attempts at showing Lala up just made her embarrass herself in the end. She has a crush on Zastin, and is dismayed to learn that he's Lala's servant.
- Alpha Bitch —> Lovable Alpha Bitch: She initially comes across as the typical bitchy queen bee. Though as her focus chapters reveal, there's more to her than just that high-and-mighty attitude.
- Art Evolution: Her hair in the original anime was a much lighter shade of yellow◊ compared to the color seen in today's episodes.
- Attention Whore: She loves to be in the spotlight. The reason for her initial resentment towards Lala is that Lala receives much more attention from the boys at school.
- Demoted to Extra: While the first series portrayed her as more of a regular character, Darkness has Saki very rarely appearing. Probably because she is one of the few girls who's very likely to not end up a part of Rito's harem.
- It's All About Me: She is determined to prove that she is a magnificent person, and even gives herself many different titles as a self-proclaimed queen. She is highly arrogant and believes that no one is greater than her.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While having an arrogant attitude most of the time, Saki has been shown to deeply care about those who are close to her, and throw parties or get togethers which she invites the rest of the cast to on numerous occasions.
- Large Ham: As expected of a pretentious rich person.
- Lethal Chef: After feeding her servants a meal she made herself they all got sick.
- Ms. Fanservice: In the first series where most of her appearances seem to only serve the purpose of being a victim to the perverted mishaps that surround Rito. Less in Darkness because she is Demoted to Extra.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: She has a proverbial laughter that is very stereotypical to her stuck-up personality.
- Odango Hair
- Ojou: She is a type two: stuck up and prideful, but shows a kind side towards people in need.
- Ojou Ringlets: She has light gold hair that's lightly permed in the back and curled into spirals over her shoulders.
- Running Gag: Things never go her way when she tries to tell Zastin how she feels about him.
- Shipper on Deck: Saki supports Rito/Rin and sets up a date between them in chapter 52 of Darkness.
- Spoiled Sweet: She is very caring towards her friends, and is polite and grateful towards her domestic workers and guardians, showing a great deal of worry for them and never looking down on them as mere servants or commoners.
- Unknown Rival: Saki considers Lala to be her eternal rival, and goes through any means to prove that she is better than her, even though her plans usually backfire and she sometimes ends up naked in the process. Lala remains totally oblivious that Saki holds a competitive grudge against her and considers Saki a good friend of hers.
Rin Kujou and Ayako "Aya" Fujisaki
Voiced by: Mai Hashimoto (Rin) and Kaori Mizuhashi (Ayako)
Sainan High School: Both 3rd YearsSaki's two loyal friends. Acting as her bodyguard, Rin is a user of Kendo whose family has always served under the Tenjouin household. Meanwhile, Ayako idolizes them both due to being rescued by the two from bullies when she was younger.
- A Day in the Limelight:
- The cursed sword chapters (Darkness 31 - 33) center around Rin becoming another member of Rito's harem.
- Rin then gets a later chapter (Darkness 52) dedicated to being on a date with Rito.
- Ascended Extra: Rin in Darkness.
- Action Girl: Rin is known to practice Kendo, and is often seen carrying a shinai. She has shown to also have some sharpshooting skills.
- Bodyguard Babes: Rin.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Rin has shown kindness and hospitality to Mikan and finds the younger sister to be a lot more reliable than her brother because Rito's clumsiness persists to harass her and Saki. However, after Rito saved her from being possessed by the sword, Bladix, she appears to have changed her impression of him losting her usual composed and aloof self, and she likely has begun to grow affectionate feelings towards him and has earned back her respect.
- Flat Character: Compared to Saki, and Rin thanks to her development in Darkness, Aya doesn't have much going for her.
- Meganekko: Aya.
- Promoted to Love Interest: Rin joins Rito's potential harem candidates after the cursed sword chapters in Darkness.
- Rescue Romance: Rin develops feelings for Rito after he saves her from a cursed sword (with the help of Mea and Yami).
- Single-Target Sexuality: Rin finds Rito "cute," even when he's been turned into a mouse.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Of the trio, Rin starts to get much more screentime when Darkness comes around.
- Those Two Girls: Saki is almost always accompanied by her friends/servants, Rin Kujou and Ayako "Aya" Fujisaki.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Rin is revealed in chapter 52 to have a secret fear of heights.
Mio Sawada and Risa Momioka
Sainan High School: Both 2nd YearsHaruna and Lala's classmates and good friends, Mio and Risa are a pair of inseparable friends. Both are more than willing to help their classmates with their personal problems ranging from beauty to smarts, but aren't above doing perverted things to them.
- A Day in the Limelight:
- Chapter 147 of the original series; the only chapter where Risa is the main protagonist.
- Darkness finally throws Risa another bone with chapter 64 where Nemesis turns the table on her latest attempt to tease her schoolmates, and is now on the verge of being another candidate for Rito's harem.
- Darkness 69 continues right where her development in chapter 64 left off with Risa stopping by Rito's house to see if his previous advance on her was legit.
- Bi the Way: Risa is all but confirmed to be either full blown bisexual, situationally bi, or merely bi-curious. Mio might be in the same boat as well since she too has no problem squeezing other girls boobs just for the heck of it!
- Supporting the theory that Risa in particular might go both ways is that she's not only attracted to Rito in general, (though she could just be teasing him) but also his "Riko" persona has definitely not gone unnoticed (nor untouched for that matter) by Risa.
- In an extra chapter of Darkness, Momo hangs out with Risa during the weekend and ends up showering at her place after getting covered in both drink and food curtousy of Run and Kyuoko running away from the perverted principal of Sainan High. While in the middle of her shower, a naked Risa barges in and offers to help clean Momo's back which quickly devolves into the former appearing to have her way with the latter. Geez, it sure looks like Risa knew what she was doing huh?
- Fan Service With A Smile: Mio works at a maid cafe as a waitress and Risa is always coming there.
- Girlish Pigtails: Mio hairstyle.
- Good Bad Girl: Risa is somewhat implied not to be a virgin, and seems to really know what she is doing when trying to get Rito to have sex with her... All said and done, that fact doesn't stop her from being a bright and good-natured girl who cares about and looks out for her friends.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Both Risa and Mio have no problem with touching other girls' breasts.
Nemesis!Rito: *Coyly pushed backward* ...Why, did you lose your nerve?Risa: Of course not... *Hungrily licks her lips* If you're like that...then I'll become a beast too...♥
- As Darkness continues it comes to light that as good as Risa is at getting people flustered she's the kind of person who can dish it out, but can't take it very well herself if caught by surprise. But if her switch is actually flipped it gets flipped. Such as when Rito, while having his body hijacked by Nemesis, tears her modesty towel off, has her straddle his lap, and starts fondling her.
- Meganekko: Mio; may overlap sometimes with Scary Shiny Glasses.
- Not So Above It All: Risa has always played as The Tease to get a reaction out of the people she interacts with, but the moment Nemesis takes control of Rito to push forward against Risa's latest tease in chapter 64 of Darkness, she is shown to be confused, and turned on at Rito's possible forwardness.
- Promoted to Love Interest: As of chapter 69, she was this close to taking Rito's virginity, and promises to try again another day.
- Satellite Character: Mio is rarely ever seen on her own without Risa.
- Skinship Grope: Both are just too happy to "feel up" other girls, but Risa does it the most out of the two.
- The Tease: Until Momo appears, Risa was the official user of this trope for the series. One particularly memorable scene has the girls discussing beauty tips. When Risa asks Rito for his opinion, he states that True Beauty Is on the Inside. Risa responds with this. In another instance, she teases Momo while in the shower, causing her to freak out and bail. She regrets overdoing it, but cheekily notes how similar Momo's reaction was to Rito's.
- Those Two Girls: Mio is almost always seen with Risa, though the number of chapters with Risa appearing on her own has been rising as of more recent chapters.
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
Sainan High School: 2nd YearA 400-year-old ghost wandering an abandoned school building, Oshizu was mistaken to have been haunting the place (in reality, it was extraterrestrials trying to find a place to live). From then on, she moves freely around the school campus; in addition, Mikado-sensei creates her an artificial body (with the same face and hairstyle as her original form) for her to inhabit. Oshizu begins working as an assistant nurse to pay off the expenses for her new body.
- Big Damn Heroes: Manages to free Mea from Nemesis' control in Darkness.
- Cast from Lifespan: Despite already being ghost, her psychic powers require her mental energy to be used. If she were to exhaust all of it then she would cease to exist.
- Chekhov's Skill: In one of the earlier Darkness chapters, she uses her Psychic Powers on Mea and subsequently enters her mind. Later, she uses those same skills to free Mea from Nemesis' grasp..
- Cute Ghost Girl: Initially. She gets an artificial body later on, but she is still basically just possessing that body.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Having remained within the old school building for four centuries, Oshizu was rather ignorant of modern Japanese culture (such as why Buxom Is Better) and is fascinated by technology. In fact, the concept of dieting for the sake of getting thin is a Berserk Button for her, since she lived during times of poverty and famine.
- Hitodama Light: In her "pure" ghost form, she has purple floating flames around her, the same tint as her ghost body.
- Giving Up the Ghost: She tends to leave her artificial body when scared or hit.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Tried this when her powers lead to the Lala's inventions malfunctioning and causing its power source (a tiny black hole) to risk destroying the school, an act that would have likely made hr exhaust her mental energy and cease to exist. Luckily for her, Mea prevented this from happening.
- Hime Cut: She wears it, which makes sense since she was born in a time when this was the hair style for girls and women.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: Can pull this off to those she possesses. Which she later uses on Nemesis to free Mea.
- Psychic Powers: After being a ghost for so long, Oshizu developed decent telekinetic abilities. Unfortunately, her powers can go out of control when she's frightened. Over using them can actually threaten her life too.
- Shipper on Deck: Supports Haruna/Rito.
- Superpower Meltdown: When she's scared, her poltergeist-like powers will go berserk. Given the nature of the series, her powers always go berserk in a way that generates Fanservice and makes Rito look like a pervert.
- Why Did It Have to be Dogs?: The easiest way to trigger a Superpower Meltdown.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino
Sainan High School: 2nd YearRito's "best" (for want of better description) friend since junior high, Kenichi is envious of Rito for all of his Accidental Pervert situations. He does, however, especially in the earlier chapters, support Rito/Haruna and sometimes goes out of his way to arrange time for the two to be together.
- A Day in the Limelight: In two episodes of the anime first series.
- Anime Hair: He has black spiky back hair, most of which is pointing back.
- Bromantic Foil: He's there just to be the envious friend that is jealous of Rito's ever growing harem. His Casanova Wannabe antics are also the exact opposite of Rito when it comes to trying to impress girls.
- Butt Monkey: In an omake, Saruyama tried to imitate Rito's "incidents." Sadly...he falls on the principal.
- Casanova Wannabe: Envies Rito's popularity with girls, and has no luck finding a girlfriend of his own.
- Demoted to Extra: Gets pushed to the background when Darkness comes around. The few times Saruyama does appear are usually just brief cameos.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He can be really jealous of Rito (along with almost all the boys in the school) because of how close he is with a lot of pretty and popular girls.
- Interspecies Romance: Only in the first anime with an unnamed cat-like woman alien who saw him as a perfect father for her child.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Fell in love with "Riko", Rito's genderbent version.
- Shipper on Deck: He is aware of Rito's feelings for Haruna, and consistently advises he get together with her.
Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa
Sainan High School: 3rd YearA Sainan student who made recurring appearances early in the series...he's kind of disappeared since then.
- Bishōnen: The pretty-boy of Sainan High School.
- Butt Monkey: Despite his good-looks, he can never impress anyone, which always depresses him after getting rejected.
- Casanova Wannabe: Tries to get with every girl he comes across, but fails each time.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Now to be fair, Taizou was never that much of a noteworthy character to begin with, but even then, he's an actual named person that made appearances on occasion. However, after his early appearances, he just seems to drop off the face of the earth. It wouldn't be that surprising at all if you've forgotten that this character even existed at this point.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Goes with the whole Bishōnen look that Taizou has going on.
- The Peeping Tom: Motemitsu is a closet pervert having taken shots of girls changing. He was once found out (accidentally by Rito that has mistaked him for an alien) taking photos of girls in the swimming pool during a swimming class, and was suspended from school for two weeks.
- Running Gag: Trying to hit on a woman, but never being able to impress them.
- Twinkle Smile: Even his teeth give off a sparkle.
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
Sainan High School: 1st YearThe head of Sainan's Venus Momo Club. He, and his followers of love-struck classmates, go about dedicating their school-life providing Momo a nice school environment, and keeping her pure from all predators, such as Rito.
- The Dividual: Pretty much the entire club is all the same character. The biggest difference being that Nakajima is the leader of the club in order to give the group some realm of existence.
- Expy: The TLR version of Megane from Urusei Yatsura. A boy with glasses that leads a fanclub of an alien princess, and hates the male main character.
- Fanboy: A major one towards Momo.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Due to Rito getting along with Momo, as well as the friendly atmosphere he has with many other females of the school, Nakajima, and the club, hates his guts.
- Instant Fan Club: The head of a fan club dedicated to serving Momo. They even surround Momo to make sure that people talk through the club members first before being allowed to speak to Momo.
- The Leader: Of the Venus Momo Club.
- Undying Loyalty: To Momo.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hair is a very dark shade of green.
Voiced by: Kenichi Ogata
Sainan High School: PrincipalThe extremely perverted, and morbidly obese, principal of Sainan High School. He tends to mostly chase after Yami, which causes her to send him flying off to odd locations around the Earth.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Especially to Yami, who happens to be one of the strongest females in the series who doesn't tolerate perverts.
- Butt Monkey/The Chew Toy: The biggest in the series. His only role is getting beat up by the female characters when he dashes towards them.
- Dirty Old Man: Frequently seen with porn magazines in his hands, and he will happily strip himself and chase any of the teenaged girls he sees.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": His real name is unknown.
- Fat Bastard: Played for Laughs, of course.
- Flat Character: The principal is usually shown just for comedy and has never really had any significant role in the series besides causing perverted mishaps involving girls.
- Iron Butt Monkey: The only explanation he's still alive after all the beating Yami delivers to him on a regular basis.
Voiced by: Tomohisa Asō
Sainan High School: TeacherThe homeroom teacher for Class 2-A, which is Rito's, and most of the main cast's, classroom at Sainan High.
- Character Tics: He's always shown to be shivering.
- Flat Character: He's a minor character with no focus except for the need of a teacher in the 2-A classroom setting of the series. His personality is also relatively unexplored apart from being incredibly unassertive towards his class, which causes him to constantly shiver, and lose control of his students.
- I Was Quite a Looker: It was shown when he was sprayed by the Modori Skunk that he was a handsome man when he was younger.
- Nice Guy: Considering all the crazy stuff that goes down in his classroom surrounding Rito, he's very forgiving towards it all.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: Has big round swirl glasses which he is hardly ever seen without.
- Recurring Extra: Always seen as the teacher of Rito's class.
- Two-Teacher School: Until Tearju's arrival, he is the only other seen teacher of Sainan High attempting to teach its students.
Voiced by: Atsushi AbeYui's older brother who has caught on to his little sister's crush, Yuuki Rito, and pushes Yui to accept her feelings for him. He's also dating Haruna's older sister, Akiho.
- Big Brother Instinct: After finding Rito and Yui being chased by hoodlums, he defends the two of them from the ruffians.
- Bishōnen : Yuu is a tall, and fit young man, who has light brown spiky hair and gray eyes.
- Nice Guy: After speaking with Rito, he understands more about Rito's life with aliens, and all the misfortunes happening around him. He also sympathizes with Rito, but remarks that at least his life is more exciting.
- Pair the Spares: Subverted. He is dating Akiho, Haruna Sairenji's older sister, but unknown to him, she isn't taking the relationship as seriously as he is.
- Satellite Character: Only appears in chapters/episodes that have Yui in the spotlight.
- Shipper on Deck: He enjoys teasing his sister about her relationship with Rito, like mentioning him in front of her and their parents. Yuu hopes that she will be more mature, and accept her love for Rito.
Voiced by: Mikako TakahashiHaruna's older sister who owns her own apartment, and is very supportive of her little sister. She's also dating Yui's older brother, Yuu.
- Dude Magnet: She is extremely popular with the guys (having received confessions from two men at the same time), but continuously turns them down, as her sister states she is not looking for love at the moment.
- Really Gets Around: She enjoys dating boys, but has no desire for a serious relationship, and only intends to "play with them for a while".
- Satellite Character: Only appears in chapters/episodes that have Haruna in the spotlight.
- Shipper on Deck: She is aware of Haruna's romantic feelings for Rito, and is "gleefully" supportive of them.
- Strong Family Resemblance: The shape of her face and eyes bare some resemblance to those of her younger sister Haruna. Though she is taller, and more curvaceous.
Lala Satalin Deviluke
Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu
Sainan High School: 2nd YearThe runaway crown princess of Deviluke, having had enough of her father, Emperor Gid Lucion, forcing her into several Arranged Marriages, Lala first appeared on the scene by accidentally (or rather, conveniently) landing in Rito's bathtub... while he was in it. She winds up getting engaged to Rito, deeming him suitable enough to be her fiancé, though this was only to escape her father and her bodyguard Zastin. Eventually, Lala does genuinely come to love him and even encourages Haruna's love, despite the fact it interferes with her own.
- Badass Adorable: Sweet, good-natured and sunny she certainly is, so it's very easy to forget that she also belongs to a race of world-destroying warriors... who can fight the galaxy's best assassin to a standstill in unarmed combat, and taking on an Amazon Brigade empty-handed until they figure out her "weak point".
- Badass Princess: Can put up a hell of a fight against the likes of Golden Darkness when push comes to shove.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Haruna's Betty.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sees an assassin come after her fiance? Let's make friends with her! Still, she does have limits. In the anime, she hits the rocket boy Stalker with a Crush so hard, he's sent flying into space, crashing head-first on a planet light years away, and the only reason she doesn't literally pound Laposcopo into the dust is that the only weapon she has that can harm him is her tail laser, and that would outright kill him.
- Bungling Inventor: Lala's inventions were originally made for pranks, and have a tendency to either backfire or succeed in the wrong way. For example, her Warp-kun device can teleport the user(s) - but not their clothes.
- Cool Big Sis: Especially in Darkness where is shown that Momo and Nana have very high respects for their sister.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Played with in some chapters. Lala's still her sweet bubbly self no matter what her female friends and peers try to get her to do regarding her relationship with Rito.
- Surprisingly played straight in Darkness when Peke reminds Lala about her own personal happiness with Rito. She spends the entire afternoon clinging onto him like she usually does, but Rito naturally doesn't look too much into it. Cue Momo introducing her older sister to an 18+ dating sim and Lala later surprising Rito by teleporting into his bath tub much like she did at the start of the series. Only this time she has a reason for being in Rito's bathroom. That reason being she wants to experiment with kissing. But of course, in typical TLR fashion, things don't go as planned when Rito has another one of his classic "accidents". In the end, Lala settles for giving Rito a kiss on the cheek.
- Cute Bruiser: Her physical strength (without any inventions or powers) is pure brute force to the point where one punch can cause a shockwave and create a small crater on a wall without making physical contact with it.
- The Ditz: Mostly in the first series.
- Ditzy Genius: Has a wide range of quirky gadgets she invented herself and gets straight As in school as soon as she masters Japanese, yet has the emotional maturity of a ten-year-old.
- Expy: Of Lum from Urusei Yatsura. Both are beautiful alien princesses in love with a human boy. Both have all sorts of inventions that hardly work right or do not work at all. And they both love to cook food that is way too spicy or inedible for humans to eat.
- Fantastic Arousal: Her tail. When someone touches Lala's tail, she becomes weak and perhaps has an erotic feeling.
- Flanderization: Goes from being a cheerful, smart girl with some occasional lasps in judgement to more or less a comic relief Ditzy Genius, used as little more than as an initiator of wacky inventions that causes the cast to change in the more recent chapters of Darkness. And then she gets turned into a little kid, making her look as childish as she acts now.
- Flying Brick: She's much stronger, faster, and tougher than Earthlings. Her costume allows her to fly. She is also a Gadgeteer Genius. If she wasn't in a Harem Anime show, she would make a good Super Hero.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Though just how useful or necessary they can be is another matter.
- Gainaxing: The anime manages to focus on Lala's bouncing boobs even when she's completely covered in shadows. That, my friends, is talent .
- Genki Girl: Especially in the early chapters where she's the Fish out of Water.
- Girlish Pigtails: Usually wears this style after she used her full power and regressed to a pre-teen, fitting her new figure.
- Green Eyes: Has emerald green eyes.
- Hair Decorations: Peke, her companion.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Lala doesn't really seem to care all that much about anything like modesty or not being naked all the time, due to being used to having servants around to dress and undress her.
- Ki Attacks: Or something like that. Since the series isn't really Shounen so to speak, we don't see a whole lot of use.
- Lethal Chef: Likes to use alien recipes whenever she decides to cook for her fiancé, which he doesn't appreciate.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Though she and Rito aren't married, yet, she goes on to show that she, more than any of the others, deserves to be the legal wife. While some of the other girls are more physically intimate with Rito, and some are more intellectually intimate, she's the one who is the most emotionally and spiritually intimate with him, to the point that she can immediately tell when he's genuinely troubled without being having to be told. Even Haruna, who's known him longest can't do that.
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: She frequently compares Rito to Gid when she's praising his positive points.
- MacGyvering: The primary source of most of the "trouble" in the story.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: She pushed a typhoon off course by yelling at it... because she didn't want it to ruin her trip to the beach.
- Magical Girlfriend: Even if she is an alien, fits perfectly.
- Magnetic Girlfriend: Literally, thanks to her magnet-bot.
- Marry Them All: Not only is she perfectly fine with the idea, she's the one suggesting it in direct response to Rito asking her how she'd feel if someone other than herself or Haruna confessed to him. When Rito refuses to tell her who confessed, both Run and Yami at this point, she calls it "boring."
- Ms. Fanservice: Stated by Peke to have gotten her good looks from her mother; the most beautiful woman in the galaxy period!. And she has no problem showing off the goods (albeit unintentionally!)
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Lala Satalin Deviluke.
- Nice Girl: A sweet, bubbly girl who always tries to help whenever she can. She's even willing to share Rito with Haruna, so that everyone can be happy. Peke calls her out on this, reminding her that she should also care about her own happiness.
- Nice Hat: Doubles as a magical wardrobe.
- Non-Human Humanoid Hybrid: As it turns out, she and her sisters are half-devilukean, half-charmian. Lala inherited more devilukean traits than her sisters, though.
- Older Than She Looks: Her body regressed to a pre-teen girl's due to using too much power protecting Rito from Darkness!Yami. However, she states that this condition is temporary and only lasts for a short while, as she did not exhaust as much power as her father did.
- One Woman Army: Though she rarely gets the chance to show it.
- Out of Focus: In the first half of "Darkness" Lala is more or less a background character.
- The Power of Love: Rito's confession is enough to change her back to normal after her personality was changed by an alien cold.
- Prehensile Tail: And it shoots Frickin' Laser Beams.
- Pretty Freeloader: Possibly averted. Presumably Rito's parents are source of Rito and Mikan's money. They probably save enough on hired help by using Zastin et al that sending a bit more to their kids isn't a problem.
- Rapunzel Hair: Has long bubble gum pink hair.
- Razor Wind: A properly-motivated Lala can throw punches of compressed air strong enough to smash concrete. Since she rarely has interest in fighting, this is just as seldom-seen as the tail lasers.
- Rebellious Princess: What kicks off the story initially.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Haruna's Blue.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Her pink hair reflects her sweet and cheerful personality.
- Second Episode Morning: Second chapter has Rito waking to find her in his bed. Becomes a Running Gag.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She has several suitors, but she only wants Rito.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Played at beginning. After that Rito saves her (or rather tries to save her) from Zastin and his subordinates and reasons the necessity of love and freedom in marriage, Lala mistakenly assumes that Rito truly understood her feelings and she really does fall in love with him and wants to marry him.
- Super Strength: Her physical strength (without any inventions or powers) is pure brute force to the point where one punch can cause a shockwave and create a small crater on a wall without making physical contact to it.
- Vapor Wear: Supposedly, she dislikes wearing a bra.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Her sensitive tail. If an opponent grabs it, she becomes unable to fight.
- Wise Beyond Her Years: While she normally acts like a ditzy inventor with the mentality of a child, she can and will display bouts of intense hard-earned wisdom, like in chapter 73 of Darkness, where she is the one recommending Rito form a polygamous union with all his girls, because she has faith that he will ardently strive to make them all happy.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: She hits Rito with this when he openly displays reservations about being in a polygamous union. She states that she normally wouldn't recommend it, but Rito has consistently proven that he will make all his girls happy, come hell or high water, because once he sets his heart on something, he will pull through, no matter what.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is pink.
Voiced by: Satomi AraiLala's robotic servant, partner and wardrobe.
- Adult Fear: Although it ended well, chapter 145 of the original series has to be absolutely horrifying for just about any parent on the planet. Peke, in human form, is out shopping with her friends when some strange, creepy guy walks right up, grabs her, runs off and puts a dangerous tool to her head, promising to "erase her memories" while loudly proclaiming that she belongs to him and he can do whatever he wants.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Averted. Peke may be quite snarky on occasion, but is honest, hard-working, and kind, not to mention completely loyal to Lala.
- Cry Cute: Combined with Tears of Fear. Immediately after being rescued from Karman, Peke cries in terror over remembering the threat that Karman posed to her precious memories with Lala. Rito and Mikan find it adorable, with Mikan explicitly calling it cute. Yami was more concerned whether the tears were tears or leaking oil.
- Equippable Ally: Peke most often takes the role of Lala's outfit.
- Hair Decorations: Peke is one on most appearances.
- Little Miss Snarker: Peke can look like a small human girl, but she's very snarky.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Peke will stand by Lala no matter what, even if Peke is snarky about the choices Lala made that lead to a conflict.
- Power Perversion Potential: Peke is Lala's outfit and has full control over everything covering Lala's body, and yes, we mean everything.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Peke's A Day in the Limelight episode in chapter 145 of the original series had her assume a form passable as a small human girl. Ridiculous clothes, of course, but otherwise still passable.
- Undying Loyalty: To Lala. Peke worships the ground Lala walks on, and is honored to serve and protect her. When Peke was kidnapped by an evil alien Fashionista who threatened to Mind Wipe her into his loyal minion, what terrified Peke the most was that she'd never see, or even remember Lala again. This is one of the few times Rito actually managed to actually beat the alien antagonist with a standard baseball bat.
Momo Belia Deviluke
Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki
Sainan High School: 1st YearLala's younger sister and the younger twin to Nana, Momo is rather well-endowed for her age (much to Nana's angst) and the more mischievous of the twins. Both twins fled to Earth to escape their studies back on Deviluke. She has a unique ability to talk to plants. In Darkness she decides to come up with a plan to "make all the women in Rito's life happy" and calls it the Harem Plan.
- Ax-Crazy: Has a violent side she keeps hidden, and can be a little sadistic when dealing with people who threaten her loved ones.
- Battle Aura: Rarely seen, but she's got it.
- Beneath the Mask: Always puts up a smile in front of everyone, when behind the scenes she can be quite manipulative and violent. And also very horny. So far, only Nana, and to a lesser extent, Rito, knows of what goes on inside her head. Momo once even expressed regret over being forced to show her violent side to Rito, but not so much with her perverted side. It should also be noted that she mostly shows her violent side when someone threatens the people she cares about. Under her facade, she's actually a pretty decent person.
- Breakout Character: Like Yami, Momo was a recurring secondary character, until Darkness promotes her as a protagonist.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: When Nemesis is around Rito. She also doesn't seem too fond of Mea's aggressive teasing as well.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Once fondled her own tail while thinking of Rito. Until she got interrupted.
- Even Perverts Have Standards: As much as she enjoys molesting Rito, Momo's reaction to hearing Nemesis describe how she wants to break him is equal parts disgust and fury.
- Evil Laugh: Which freaks Rito out.
- The Fake Cutie: Puts on an innocent front to hide her true personality. Only a few characters, such as her twin sister Nana and the mentally mature Mikan, can see through her façade. This is not exactly a bad thing, mind you.
- Fanservice Pack: She has become noticeably bustier between her introduction in the original series (where she was more or less on par with Haruna) and the latest chapters of Darkness. May be justified by still being growing.
- Fantastic Arousal: Her tail. She may take full advantage of this by fondling it while fantasizing about Rito.
- For Happiness: The basis of her "Harem Plan" is to make sure everyone who loves Rito gets a happy ending, herself included.
- Gamer Chick: Playing games has apparently become one of Momo's hobbies. She has a particular interest in gal games, and thinks that they'll help her get Rito girls for the "Harem Plan".
- Genre Savvy: Granted her knowledge comes from dating sims, but her methods concerning the Harem Plan actually work for the most part. The only problem being Nemesis trying to have Rito all to herself.
- Good Is Not Soft: When facing down Azenda the Tyrant, she summons plants that shoot seeds with the force of cannonballs, and "accidentally" misses a shot, right next to her head, and then denies showing Azenda any mercy.
- Guile Heroine: She manipulates people in order to get what she wants, but is still one of the good guys. For example, her "Harem Plan" is not actively malicious. Quite the opposite, in fact.
- Harem Seeker: A rare inverse version in Darkness, where Momo, herself a harem girl, is doing this not for herself, but for Rito. And oddly, she even wants to add girls who have shown no interest at all in Rito to the harem (even including Saki, the only girl with a clearly-stated romantic interest in a guy other than Rito). That said, one of the reasons she wants this to work is because she doesn't think she had a chance to be with Rito otherwise. That's starting to change.
- Hidden Depths: At first glance, she's a sweet, kindhearted princess. Beneath that facade she's horny, manipulative, and has a serious violent streak. As Darkness progresses, however, we get to see more and more of her personality, and she's a surprisingly complex character. Her love for Rito is very genuine, and she's actually shown some hesitation when it looks like he's starting to respond to her advances. In addition to this, her violent side tends to come out only when someone threatens her friends and family. Even her "Harem Plan" is intended to give the various girls crushing on Rito a happy ending with him. She may just be acting like The Cutie, but she's undoubtedly a good person.
- Horny Devils: Not a devil per se, but a very naughty alien princess. Plus, she has a devil-like tail.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Even Rito's "Riko" persona is not safe from her perverted antics.
- Instant Fan Club: One is formed by some of the boys at their school for her. Though she initially thinks it's cute, she gets rather annoyed by them partly because they're often rude to Rito, but also because they take time away that she could be spending with him as well.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: No matter how manipulative and naughty she can be, she genuinely cares for her family and friends.
- Little Miss Badass: At the very least, she can dodge punches like Neo, then summon plants to take down her attackers.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Even moreso than Risa. Her current goal in life is to win Rito's love and affection not just because she loves him, but also so she can have sex with him. Interestingly though, she totally freaks out when Risa starts to make thinly veiled sexual advances on her.
- Matchmaker Crush: While she actively pursues Rito to hook up with all his girls, his harem, nevertheless, includes herself, as she wants just as much affection from him, finding his "flushed face" cute.
- Ms. Fanservice: Moreso in Darkness, but much like her big sister, Momo's got very nice assets and isn't afraid to tease Rito with what she's got either.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Belia" is supposed to refer to "Belial".
- Non-Human Humanoid Hybrid: As it turns out, she and her sisters are half-devilukean, half-charmian.
- Not So Different: Though she would never admit it, Momo isn't that much different from Nemesis in terms of making Rito feel sexually uncomfortable. What separates them is Momo genuinely likes Rito, whereas Nemesis sees him as a "servant"; Momo cares about others besides herself whom she considers friends, while Nemesis is self-centered and tries to make Rito hers (thus undoing the work Momo has put into the Harem Plan) and activating Yami's true potential as a living weapon via the "Darkness" protocol.
- More surprising is Momo's very similar to Rito: his fantasies are just as explicit as hers, and when Momo has someone come on to her, she experiences a Freak Out and runs away as he does.
- Oh Crap!: Has a really big one when she sees Mea transform into Nemesis.
- Perverted Drooling: Occasionally happens to her when she thinks of Rito.
- Pink Is Feminine: Despite her violent tendencies, not only does she wear a lot of pink (as well as having pink hair), but she's very feminine. She can do the household chores, including cooking, at least as well as Mikan can. Mikan had a brief identity crisis as a result.
- Polyamory: What she's aiming for. Momo doesn't care if she shares Rito with other girls, so long as he loves her too. At first.
- Pretty Freeloader: At first. As of Darkness, it's averted completely. When she's not helping Rito deal with some crisis, she can be seen helping Mikan with the household chores.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Her pink hair contributes to her cute and innocent front. Don't let her fool you, though.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Momo is more than willing to step into the bathtub with Rito, wake him up straddling him half-dressed, etc.
- Shipper on Deck: Taken Up to Eleven with the "Harem plan", where she ships pretty much every girl who's interested in Rito, including herself.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Ignores all the guys who hit on her at school in favor of Rito, even in his "Riko" form. Taken Up to Eleven when he gets transformed into a mouse by one of Lala's devices and she's STILL attracted to him. And she didn't even know it was Rito.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She started falling for Rito when she how determined he was to rescue Celine from her apparent illness.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Belia" or "Velia"?
- Supreme Chef: She's every bit as good as Mikan in the kitchen. So much so, that Mikan was once afraid that Momo was going to steal away her place in Rito's heart. Momo made it very clear to her that this is not the case, much to her relief.
- The Tease: She regularly sneaks into Rito's bed, asks him where his Ero-mags are, and in one notable insistance pops up between his legs and offers to help him with his love problems. She even freely admits that she wants to be his mistress. And this before Darkness!
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Nana's tomboy.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: The most protective among Rito's love interests. When she thought Yami was trying to kill Rito and decided to interfere with their conversation, Yami commented that she could sense Momo's bloodlust. On another occasion, when her fan club tried to "save" her from Rito (by shooting him with Nerf Guns)... she was not amused. In chapter 6 of Darkness, she showed the world, especially Azenda the Tyrant, precisely why the Deviluke family should be respected, and feared.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is pink.
Nana Asta Deviluke
Voiced by: Kanae Ito
Sainan High School: 1st YearLala's younger sister and older twin to Momo. Having had enough of their studies back on Deviluke, she flees to Earth to pay Lala a visit (with Momo tagging along). Like Momo's ability to talk to plants, Nana can communicate with animals; unlike Momo, however, Nana finds it hard to believe why everyone around Rito likes him, having witnessed a few "incidents" that proves otherwise.
- A-Cup Angst: Poor, poor Nana. It must be hard to grow up alongside Lala and Momo. She doesn't take too kindly to any derogatory comments or even things that she could interpret as a jab towards her lack of a bust.
- Berserk Button: Even the slightest implication of her "modest" bust size is guaranteed to set her off.
- Catch Phrase(Usually at Rito) "You beast!"
- Character Development: Nana starts off with a very negative impression towards Rito, but begins to show feelings for him after he helps mend her friendship with Mea.
- Cry Cute: The latter half of Chapter 21 of Darkness, when Rito confronted her about her realization of Mea's identity.
- Cute Little Fang: She usually has one ridiculously cute fang showing which makes her even more ridiculously cute.
- A Day in the Limelight: Darkness 20 - 22 revolves around Nana's character arc concerning her broken friendship with Mea, and Rito's efforts to fix it.
- Expy: In the manga especially, between her pink twin-tailed hair, tsundere tendencies, "atashi" pronoun, A-Cup Angst, and a lot of her expressions, you'd be forgiven if you thought Aria took the wrong door.
- Fantastic Arousal: Her tail.
- Friend to All Living Things: Due to Nana's ability to communicate with animals, she has befriended animals from all across space and kept them with her as pets.
- Gender and Japanese Language: Aside from using the informal-feminine "atashi" to refer to herself, Nana exclusively uses impolite-masculine Japanese in her everyday speech patterns, up to an including the impolite suffix "-yagaru" (which can is the rough equivalent of "goddammit" or "the goddamn") in her sentences when she is bored or annoyed.
- Girlish Pigtails: Which go well with her Tsundere image.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Asta" refers to "Astaroth".
- Non-Human Humanoid Hybrid: As it turns out, she and her sisters are half-devilukean, half-charmian.
- Pretty Freeloader: Played straight. She has yet to be seen contributing anything to the Yuuki household.
- Promoted to Love Interest: Nana starts to show interest in Rito after Mea's friendship mending chapters in Darkness.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie
- Secret Keeper: Is aware of Haruna's feelings for Rito, which she never told yet to everybody else. Nana promises to keep it secret until Haruna tells Lala about it.
- Shipper on Deck: Despite not liking Rito nor understanding why Lala likes him, she's fond of reminding both Rito and the other girls he is Lala's fiancé, after all.
- Sour Prude: Similar to Yui's case above (in fact more than once in the manga, they're both seen criticizing Rito at the same time during his Accidental Pervert moments), though hers is slightly more downplayed compared to the former. This also makes her even more of a Foil to her Lovable Sex Maniac sister Momo.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: With classic animals.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Asta", "Astar" or "Aster"?
- Summon Bigger Fish: Against Laposcopo. When he threatened her, Momo, and Lala with his trademark clothes-dissolving frog, she summoned a giant king cobra. Laposcopo finally got the message that messing with the Deviluke family is a very bad idea.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Momo's girly girl.
- Tsundere: Type B usually, but totally type A towards Rito.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: With her hair down, Nana looks a lot like Lala.
- Vague Age: While the twins don't look much older than Mikan (who is twelve years old as of Darkness), they attend Sainan High as first-years (roughly 15). This vagueness is lampshaded when Yui asks the girls if that is their age. Nana responds by telling her not to worry about it, and the Principal helped them out, although this doesn't prove anything as one of the Principal's favorite sayings is "It's okay because you're cute".
- Was It All a Lie?: Suffers an emotional breakdown over learning of Mea's true identity and relation to Yami in Chapter 21 of Darkness, wondering if their friendship was all an act, eventually breaking down crying in Rito's arms.
- What Does She See in Him?: Unable to comprehend why everyone (including herself) is falling for Rito's kind personality. Though she may otherwise deny it to save face, Nana was grateful for Rito comforting her in her hour of need.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is pink.
Gid Lucion Deviluke
CLICK HERE FOR GID'S NON-CHIBI APPEARANCE
Voiced by: Hidetoshi Nakamura (before Darkness), Kengo Kawanishi (Darkness onwards)Father of Lala, Nana, and Momo, ruler of Deviluke and by extension the entire universe as we know it. He tasks Rito with fending off potential suitors who wish to have Lala's hand in marriage. Should he fail, the mysterious ruler of the cosmos threatens to kill not only Rito, but also blow up the entirety of Earth. Gid is rather antsy about when Rito will succeed him as king.
- Above the Influence: The first creature to look directly at his wife's face without being affected by her inherent charm power.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: In his powered down form, he has to suppress his power even further to prevent the Earth from crumbling under him. Then, we he returns to his full powered form, he fights Nemesis, the strongest known enemy so far, and nearly annihilates her, only moving his arms ONCE.
- Characterization Marches On: In the first series (in the manga, cause in the anime his personality is mostly the same) he appears only as a pervert man that use his child-like appearance to get close to pretty girls, but, in Darkness, when regained his adult physique (after the effect of overusing too much energy that turned him into a kid) his personality seems to shift into more serious one.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With his queen.
- A Day in the Limelight: The Gid vs. Nemesis chapters in Darkness. You finally get to see his true, non-chiby form.
- Dirty Old Man: The only reason (in the manga) why he wants his eldest daughter to hurry up and tie the knot with Rito is so he can look up girls skirts all day long.
- Evil Is Petty: While not evil per se, should Rito fail in keeping Lala off potential suitors hands who also want to marry her, he will first kill Rito and then blow up the Earth.
- Galactic Conqueror: How he became Ruler of the Galaxy. Notably though he is trying to hand the position of The Emperor off to Rito so he can relax.
- Hero of Another Story: He conquered the galaxy in an effort to bring an end to galactic warfare and what we see of him in flashbacks he appears to be very similar to your average Shōnen protagonist.
- No Sell: When Nemesis tries to take over his body he simply starts electrocuting himself with an unimpressed "How about no?"
- Not So Different: Surprisingly to Rito. They are both equally dedicated to their ladies, as well as being a Papa Wolf to children in their care, hsve unshakeable wills, and have similar levels of perversion. Gid just happens to be a bit more open about his. They also both had problems confessing to their primary love interest. In Gid's case, Sephie was willing to "push him down."
- Oblivious to Love: According to Sephie, he had ignored her advances until she resorted to, in her words, forcing herself onto him.
- The Reveal: Around chapter 46 or so, Gid personally visits Earth in an attempt to hurry along Rito's "courting" of Lala. Earlier chapters built him up to be a legitimate foreboding threat since Gid only bothered communicating via his voice leaving his identity to be a mystery. While Gid is not someone you want to mess with, you may be easily forgiven for assuming that a seemingly perverted little kid couldn't possibly be the ruler of the universe.
- Sleep-Mode Size: Why he looks the way he does. He burned so much of his power in the battles to conquer the universe he ended up in his current form. This happens to Lala later in the manga as well, but for nowhere near as long as Gid and is back to normal within a few chapters.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Even in his current powered down form he is still a Lightning Bruiser capable of moving at high speeds and strong enough to blow up planets.
Sephie Michaela Deviluke
Voiced by: Kikuko InoueThe queen of Deviluke, mother of Lala, Nana, Momo, and the last member of Charmian race.
- Bathtub Bonding: She meets Rito when he falls into the hot-springs where she was bathing because he was chasing Celine. Rather than Freak Out, she continues to interview him, buck naked, when she noticed that he's immune to her Charmian powers. To his eternal credit, he responded by only looking her in the eyes as he answered her questions. She's convinced that he'll make a fine husband for her daughters as a direct result.
- Charm Person: It's in her species' name, after all. Not only does she have the power to bend people to her will with words alone, but any male who looks at her uncovered face will immediately lust after her. Sephie hates the latter ability.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With her husband.
- Cursed with Awesome: Her beautiful appearance and voice allows her to affect the behaviour of other people but apparently if someone would see her uncovered face they would turn into a Beast.
- Compelling Voice: Seems to be capable of this. She manages to persuade the principal to give up on pursuing her without a fight.
- Expy: Looks like Sephiria Arks from Black Cat and has the same voice actress.
- Good Parents: She cares deeply for her daughters, the reason she came to Earth was because she was worried about Lala who turned into a small girl after overusing her power in a fight against Yami.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: She became smitten with Gid because he didn't immeditately fall for her Charmian Powers, and went to extreme lengths to make him realize it. They've been Happily Married ever since.
- Informed Attractiveness: She is described as one of the most beautiful women in the universe. While she is certainly very pretty she doesn't particularly stand out in a cast full of attractive girls and women. The Charm Person powers might have something to do with it.
- Interspecies Romance: She is from Charmian race while her husband is a Devilukian.
- Last of Her Kind: She is apparently the last living member of the Charmian race.
- Meaningful Name: The Charmian race is known for it's ability to charm males of any other race.
- Odd Name Out: Unlike her husband or daughters, she is named after an archangel, and not a demon.
- Rapunzel Hair: Is very obvious from where Lala got her size.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She has this effect on males of other species. Any male from any species will fall for her if he sees her face.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Of a sort. She fell in love with Gid because he was the only male to not be affected by her Charmian powers. When Rito also proves to be immune, Sephie surmises that his unshakable will and convictions put him in the same league as her husband. She then tells Rito that she understands why her daughters fell in love with him.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Even says this herself. Not that her power helps.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Her younger daughters Momo and Nana have inherited variations of her Charm Person powers. Momo has an affinity for plant life, while Nana has an affinity for animals. Ironically, the daughter with the strongest physical resemblance to her, Lala, takes after her Deviluke father power-wise and has none of her mother's powers.
Konjiki no Yami (Golden Darkness)/Eve
CLICK HERE FOR YAMI'S DARKNESS FORM
Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
Sainan High School: 1st YearOne of the deadliest assassins in the galaxy, Konjiki no Yami ("Yami", in shorthand) was originally hired by one of Lala's suitors to kill Rito, until a slip from his mouth reveals that Rito is not what he seems to be. Nullifying her client's contract, she turns against him and stays on Earth for the time being... all the while starting to have a crush on her erstwhile target herself, even as she continually threatens to kill him one day.
- A-Cup Angst: Subverted. She seems to have a case of this, especially compared to her biological mother Tearju, but she could easily remedy that with her shape-shifting powers. However, she notes that a large chest would be impractical in combat.
- Accidental Pervert: She accidentally grabs Riko's naked boob, and gets screamed at. Yami is so conflicted over this brief moment of role reversal that she can only react with incredulity.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: She finally comes right out and says it in chapter 72, to Rito's face. His brain needs to reboot upon hearing it.
- Artificial Human: Was created to be a powerful bioweapon.
- Badass Adorable: She may be a cutie, but don't go getting any ideas. She is a lethal Living Weapon.
- Badass Bookworm: Spends most of her time reading any book she can get her hands on.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: If Rito had not given her that Taiyaki because he thought she looked lost and hungry when they first met, there's no way in hell he'd be alive right now.
- Berserk Button:
- Anyone/anything she considers perverted. Poor Rito, being the Accidental Pervert he is, is her most frequent punching bag whenever he's in close proximity, even if she knows his latest mishap was an accident, only stopping short of killing him because she admits that she does know. Her Darkness persona expresses the opposite opinion and openly embraces her sexual side.
- It's also not a very good idea to do anything to Tearju around her. Though that may be because she always catches Rito with her while she's naked...or in post-orgasmic afterglow.
- Breakout Character: Originally a secondary character (not that you'd know from her prominence in promotional materials), she gets promoted to a protagonist along with Momo for the Darkness sequel.
- Catch Phrase:"I hate ecchi people!"
- Character Development: Has arguably the most in the series, going from completely emotionless killer to caring for those dear to her. Could also be argued that after her "Darkness" persona was released, and brought back to normal, she became much more emotional when she gets flustered.
- The Comically Serious: She is usually The Stoic, even when attempting to maim Rito for accidentally molesting her.
- Continuity Cameo: Yami's appearance in this scene is a call-back to Eve, who was forced into a form like this while she was Brainwashed and Crazy early in the anime adaptation.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Her first attempts at cooking were rather horrid, though justifiable by her initial limitation of knowledge of Earth's cuisine to taiyaki, so she just put that in everything. Under Mikan's instruction she does quite well at cooking, but still has a fondness for taiyaki, which she expresses by creating taiyaki miso soup, something Rito had to force down.
- Cute and Psycho: Her "Darkness" persona, who openly admits to being in love with Rito and wanting to be together with him forever.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She is a living weapon created by Dr. Tearju Lunatique from her own cells (making Yami a clone) who named her Eve and raised her. They lived happily and Tearju planned to run away with Eve but her plans were preempted by the Eden organization which found out about the planned flight and attempted to kill Tearju, forcing her to flee without Eve. Eve was then told that Tearju had abandoned her and she would be trained as a weapon and she was renamed Golden Darkness. Eden was destroyed by the hitman Black, setting Eve free of their control. Before she met Rito and Lala, Yami lived alone in the universe.
- Evil Costume Switch: Her "Darkness" form comes with a much skimpier outfit than her trademark one.
- Expy: Of Eve from Black Cat, The T-1000 and possibly Fate Testarossa. As of Darkness, however, Yami is implied to be not just an expy, but an Alternate Universe version of Eve, which turns out to be also Yami's true name. And like her original, she's an enhanced clone of her creator, Tearju Lunatique.
- Girlish Pigtails: Her regular hairstyle.
- Godzilla Threshold: During her third confrontation with Kuro. She knows he let her live the last time and Rito is his target this time. Having finally admitted to herself that she loves Rito and that she doesn't have much of a chance at beating Kuro as she is, she pulls an ace out of her sleeve: activating her Darkness protocol of her own volition to protect Rito.
- Hair Intakes: The two "cat ears" on her hairdo.
- Heel–Face Door-Slam: Invoked Trope. Her "Darkness" protocol was designed to activate whenever she gains enough peace of mind to consider a Heel–Face Turn.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Her standard outfit.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Pun aside, a major part of her Character Development in Darkness has her mellow out considerably, but not necessarily being honest about it.
- In Love with the Mark: How her relationship with Rito ultimately developed. The way the relationship started is the real reason why she loves taiyaki so much.
- Ironic Hell: As much as she violently objects to Rito's Accidental Pervert antics, she's well aware that they're triggered by Rito's fear of her because Mikan told her so. Of course, her violent response serves to make him more scared of her, which in turn triggers more frequent, more inventive, and more surreal "accidents", which, in turn, triggers more violent, threatening, and terrifying responses. And it doesn't look like either of them can effectively stop themselves.
- Kuudere: Once she's no longer struggling to hide her affections, she becomes this. Cold and aloof on one side, wildly emotional on the other.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: She has sworn Rito to silence, under threat of violence, to not reveal her love confession to anyone, especially not Lala because she admits being afraid of how the latter will react. Ironically, Lala would likely be thrilled to hear it.
- Little Miss Badass: She looks only a bit older than Mikan but is one of the strongest fighters in the series.
- Little Miss Snarker: She is quite fond of snarking at people. Momo and Rito are her two favorite targets, more so come Darkness.
- Living Weapon: What she initially considers herself to be, having been indoctrinated as such.
- Ms. Fanservice: Especially in Darkness where she is often naked and her incidents with Rito are more frequent.
- Necessary Drawback: Her voluntary use of the Darkness protocol leaves her unable to use her shape-shifter powers for days. Though she is still quite dangerous.
- No Social Skills: In Darkness, she once tries to find a fun topic to ease the tension between her and Rito. After glaring for a bit in thought, which was already giving Rito the wrong impression, she starts talking about the vital points of the human body.
- Nothing Personal: Her very first line in the series is that she bears no grudge against Rito, before trying to kill him for the fist time.
- One Woman Army: What she was intended to be, and for the most part she lives up to her reputation.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: The reason she saves Rito's ass so many times... or so she says.
- Overnight Age-Up: Shapeshifting has its many uses as change her bodies size and measurements to look more mature and adult-like. Although her choice to remain in her child-like form is most likely due to the fact that it is comfortable when in combat.
- Person of Mass Destruction: The "Darkness" protocol's purpose.
- The Power of Love: Which helps her fully control her Darkness form.
- Power Perversion Potential: Milked for all it's worth in her "Darkness" form.
- Prehensile Hair: Yami's most notable ability is her control over her hair. She can control its movements, extend it's reach and, combined with her shapeshifting abilities, uses it to create giant fists and dragon heads. She can even solidify her hair to form metallic objects like sword blades, metal teeth, battle axe, spiked maces, drills, hammer, wrecking balls, etc...
- Professional Killer: Softened up quite a bit since she came to Earth.
- Rapunzel Hair: She has long blond hair that she can freely extend at will.
- Reality Warper: In her Darkness form she can open up wormholes, among other things.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: A red-eyed young girl who was created to be a powerful bioweapon and has an eerily stoic behavior as a result, but eventually accepts her humanity and starts showing emotions more.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: She is continuously victim of Rito's pattern of accidentally falling and groping girls (that earns Yami's wrath more than a few times).
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: "Darkness" form has her be more playful, enjoys ecchi things and seems to be more than openly infatuated with Rito, wanting him to do more perverted things to her.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: his ability gives her the power to change any and all parts of her body into weapons like her hands turning into blades, claws or huge mechanical gauntlets. Yami mostly uses this ability to create weapons from her hair, she has also been shown to create non-weapon objects such a frying pan or even some medical equipment but is still useful against opponents.
- She's Got Legs: A one-off character remarks how sexy her thighs are.
- Sleep Cute: For all her complaining, and violence, about Rito being too "ecchi," the place she feels safest in the whole universe is... Rito's bed. At the end of the day where their hands were powerfully magnetized to each other, thanks to Lala's invention, they're forced to share a futon, because they're still magnetized to each other. When the magnetism wears off, rather than let Rito celebrate that she wasn't going to be cutting his hand off, she knocks him out, and curls up beside him, to the universal "Awwww" from the audience. Her sentient spaceship notes that it's the first time she's had a full, refreshing night's rest in its collective memory.
- Stripperific: In her "Darkness" form she wears a much more revealing leather outfit with clawed gloves.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Can go from threatening Rito with his life to acting amiable towards Mikan in a heartbeat.
- Superpowered Evil Side: What her Darkness form ultimately is. Played with in that rather than being outright, pure evil, it is instead extremely perverted thanks to a glitch. She later manages to access this form voluntarily thanks to her resolve to protect Rito, making it simply her Super Mode instead.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: After the Darkness incident, with a heavy serving of what is likely blatant lies on the side.Yami: *Gets accidental pervert'd again, shoves Rito away* Why does it immediately turn out like this!? I'll just tell this straight so there are no misunderstandings!! Everything I said or did when I became Darkness!! None of that was my true nature! I...I am not that ecchi!! A...And as for you! *Blushing furiously* I d-d-don't have any feelings for you!! So...
- The Stoic: She rarely shows any emotion.
- These Hands Have Killed: She says this almost word for word to Rito in chapter 6 of Darkness, right before she and Rito were attacked by Azuna the Tyrant. She was greatly relieved when Rito accepted her anyway.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: She goes from being a cold-as-ice assassin to slowly accepting her humanity.
- Too Many Belts: Five totally pointless but sexy-as-hell belts wrapped around each leg (the lowest of which are hidden by her shoes). She also has a pair of belts on her feet, another pair of belts on each sleeve, and two more on her abdomen for good measure. Even in her school uniform she keeps one around her left leg.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Taiyaki, and she will eat a lot of it.
- Tsundere: Develops into a strong Type A for Rito. With other people, she starts as Kuudere and later starts to show a Type B tsundere side.
- Tsurime Eyes: Which add to her stoic image.
- Tyke Bomb: Created to be a killing machine, and to inflict wanton destruction on planetary level by the "Darkness" protocol when the universe is on the verge of achieving total peace.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: When she was a child she was downright cute and kindhearted. Unfortunately the scientists who created her had other plans.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She has Prehensile Hair which she can transform into anything and she is a living Shapeshifter Weapon. She is also able to change parts of her body into animal-like features that gives her extra capabilities, growing a pair of white feathered wings from her back similer to an angel, to enable her fight. She can also turn her legs into a fish tail similar to a mermaid with gills that lets her breath and swim better underwater.
- Weaponized Teleportation: In her "Darkness" form, she can form portals with her hair to send anyone near her to somewhere else, and instantly summon anyone she wants to her.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Much like Mea and perhaps Nemesis as well Yami doesn't quite get human emotions and love is one of them. Justified in that all she has ever known her whole life is killing. She eventually comes to terms with her feelings for Rito, and admits it to both Mikan and him.
- When She Smiles: Quite possibly her most lethal weapon◊.
- Why Did It Have To Be Slimy Tentacles?: Loathes ecchi things, especially tentacles. Though the latter of those seems to induce more of a panic in her than her standard response to anything else perverted happening to her. She mentions it being a result of being lost on a planet with tentacled monsters, but trails off quickly, obviously not wanting to talk about it.
- Wolverine Claws: Utilized by her Darkness form.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: A unique interpretation. In addition to her Dark and Troubled Past, her "creators" programmed the nanomachines that give Yami her powers with a "Darkness" mode that activates when she comes to accept the mere possibility of being able to live peacefully, turning her into a living weapon of mass destruction to make sure that the universe will never achieve true peace.
- Yandere: In her "Darkness" form, she tells Rito that she loves him, and by killing him herself, he can live on in her heart forever. This is no more the case after she can use Darkness on her own will.
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
Sainan High School: 1st YearAn alien girl introduced in Darkness, who claims to have been created by the same organization as Yami. She has been sent to Earth on a mission to take her "big sister" back.
- A-Cup Angst: She's beginning to understand how Nana feels after one of Oshihuru's outbursts caused her, Tearju and Mikado to be stripped simultaneously.
- Affably Evil: Unlike her master, Nemesis, she is genuinely nice to Rito and the others until her Heel–Face Turn.
- Arm Cannon: One of her transformable weapons, which can fire laser beams.
- Artificial Human: She is Yami's younger sister as she was created by the same organization and from the same project (Project Eve) as her.
- Bare Your Midriff: In her combat outfit.
- Becoming the Mask: At first she was friendly toward Nana only for the sake of her Master's plan, but then she realised she really cared for her.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Seems to be quite nice, but is a very strong and ruthless fighter.
- Bi the Way: Spends a good portion of one chapter groping and/or licking Riko.
- Braids of Action: She has red hair with a really long braid.
- Catch Phrase:"Wonderful!"
- Character Development: Mea starts off as a sadistic killer hiding behind a fake kind-and-sweet persona whose only goal was to activate the "Golden Darkness" within her sister, Yami. However, the school-setting surrounding Rito, as well as establishing a close friendship with Nana, ended up making her fake persona much more genuine as she ends up becoming more of The Tease to help move Momo's "Harem Plan" along.
- The Dragon: To her master, Nemesis.
- Foil: To Yami. Whereas Yami is cold on the outside and keeps people at arm's length emotionally while hiding a softer side underneath, Mea is openly cheery and sociable while hiding sinister motives. On another note, Mea greatly enjoys anything sexual while Yami detests it.
- Fusion Dance: When she was first created she was mentally unstable and merged with her fellow Transform bioweapon Nemesis.
- Friendly Enemy: Unlike Nemesis, she is genuinely nice to Rito, Momo, and Nana.
- Genki Girl: Is almost always smiling and energetic.
- Girly Run
- Good Bad Girl: While the rest of the cast balk at the topic of sex, Mea shows great curiosity for it, and will openly talk about her fantasy of getting Rito to lick her, to the point of outright asking him to do so. Otherwise, she's usually a very friendly and upbeat person.
- Grand Theft Me: She can, and has taken control of other people's bodies. Most notably she has done so to Rito repeatedly onscreen. This ability was also useful in rescuing Rin from a literally bloodthirsty sentient/empathic sword.
- Hair Decorations: A black pin with a white cross.
- Hair Intakes: Her hair has two intakes that look like cat ears.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Her combat outfit.
- Harem Seeker: Is in favor of the harem plan and agrees to help, but in her own way.
- Heel–Face Turn: After realizing she actually cared for Nana and the others, and after her split with Nemesis.
- Idiot Hair
- Japanese Sibling Terminology: Refers to Yami as "Onee-chan", mostly likely as they both have similar powers.
- Literal Split Personality / Enemy Without: Subverted. In Darkness chapter 39, Nemesis explains that Mea is a seperate personality that Nemesis created in order to better adapt being around other people. Because Mea has always appeared to see Nemesis face to face before, she was not aware that she and Nemesis were two minds in the same body, and Mea's personality is currently being supressed by the darkness inside Nemesis. After, Mea speaks to Nemesis inside her subconscious, insisting that Nemesis lied about Mea being her alternate personality and demands her body back. Nemesis explains that when they first met, she was in a physically unstable condition and needed a physical vessel to stabilize herself, and so she fused herself into Mea.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: She has made more than one reference to Rito having licked her body or her desire for him to do so, though she makes this out as a joke. However it has been discovered by Oshizu (during her possession of Mea) that this desire is in fact completely genuine.
- Prehensile Hair: Mea can control and move her hair/pony tail (like an actual tail) and uses it for most of her transformation abilities like many different shape guns, a clawed hand or a blade at the end of it.
- Rapunzel Hair: Pulled in long ponytail.
- Reused Character Design: Mea looks identical to Amane Yuka from Kentaro Yabuki's one shot Futugami Double.
- Secret Keeper: Knows about Momo's "Harem Plan", but despite semi-conflicting orders, has chosen to support it. However, she won't help Momo where it comes to Yami.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Mea doesn't show any kind of embarrassment or shame, not even when her clothes got ripped off. She instead prefers to get caught in awkward and/or sexual experiences, showing a sadomasochistic side.
- Shapeshifting Seducer: A chapter has Mea take Haruna form to seduce Rito.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: Similar to Yami, Mea can shapeshift any part of her body into weapons such as blades. However she is capable of creating many different shaped machines like guns that shoot laser beams powerful enough to easily destroy really strong barriers and a micro-black hole.
- Sweet Tooth: Mea likes her tea with enough sugar cubes to peak over the top of her cup.
- Vapor Wear: Flashbacks reveal that she doesn't wear anything under her fighting outfit.
- Voice Changeling: In addition to her shape-shifting abilities, she can also change her voice to sound just like anyone.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Mea can alter the shape and size of her body or parts of it, like making her breasts bigger. Mea can also alter her size to copy the form and appearance of anyone (eg: Tearju), similar to shapeshifting.
- What Is This Feeling?"For some reason, my body's getting hot... Could this be what they call an ecchi feeling!?"
- What Is This Thing You Call Friendship?: Thanks to Nana playing her Mikan, she learns the same thing that Yami did — a friend's warmth.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Part of her leather outfit.
Voiced by: Rina HidakaMea's master who is the closest thing the series has to a main antagonist. She provides her servant orders to observe Yami's current lifestyle in the hopes of one day turning her back into the heartless assassin she was originally programmed to be. Following her battle against Gid, she is now currently Sharing a Body with Rito Yuuki in order to regain her strength.
- Affably Evil / Faux Affably Evil: Can be either at a moment's notice.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Seems to have become this for Rito almost immediately after meeting him in person due to his ability to face plant into her crotch before she could react.
- Ambiguously Brown: She seems to be fairly tan, not really dark.
- Retcon: She was, ironically, lighter during her frames in the shadow.
- Big Bad: The closest one to this series as of now.
- Bi the Way: Just ask Momo.
- Bullying a Dragon: Arguably, with Momo. The moment Yami distracts her Momo nearly takes her head off with a "tail laser" attack that was aimed right at her eye.
- Character Development: Nemesis ends up going almost the same route as Mea. Throughout her attempts to revert Yami back to her original personality, she starts to enjoy taking part in the crazy lifestyle that surrounds Rito. She even grows to becoming a good friend of Rito after he offers himself as a vessel to heal herself after almost dying in a fight against Gid.
- The Corrupter: Seems to have shades of this if her talk about "mental destruction" and turning Rito into a sex slave is anything to go on. Played completely straight when she herself is solely responsible for awakening Yami's Darkness persona.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Gets destroyed by Gid while he barely took her seriously. Would have died if Rito didn't save her.
- Depraved Bisexual: Just look at what she does to Rito and Momo when she introduces herself to them.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: As a Living Weapon, she thought warfare was the only thing she's good for. Rito has shown her otherwise, and she's very grateful.
- Evil Counterpart: To Momo with regards to Rito and their goals relating to him.
- Evil Is Petty: Her primary reason for going after Rito is because Momo wants him. Nemesis admits that she just loves taking things that other people find precious.
- Friend to All Living Things: Cats seem to have a thing for her.
- Fusion Dance: When Nemesis was first created she was physically unstable and merged with her fellow Transform bioweapon Mea.
- Girlish Pigtails: After getting her kimono.
- Going Commando: Wears absolutely ''nothing'' under her dress. Yabuki was only too happy to drug the censors and show us exactly how much nothing she wears.
- Grand Theft Me: She can usurp Mea's body at any time, with little to no warning. This because Nemesis reveals that, in the past, she was in unstable physical condition and needed to temporarily fuse with Mea to continue to exist. She plans to leave Mea's body after Darkness kills Rito, and then the three of them will be together.
- She tries this again during her fight with Gid, only for it to be a no sell.
- Healing Factor: Her body is nearly immune to physical and light energy attacks since they'll phase right through her, as she can reconstruct herself from any damage taken, however her body won't be able to keep up if taken too much damage.
- Heel–Face Turn: After Rito rescues her by offering to share his body, she's changed from being outright malicious to simply being wildly mischievous. She's grown to actually support the Harem plan, wants Rito and Momo to get together, being actually disappointed when something interrupts them, and is actively doing whatever she can to make everyone, including Yami, happy with him.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Come chapter 68 of Darkness, her well-timed intervention stopped one of Run's schemes from going past the point of no return. Something that Run and Rito would spend the rest of their lives regretting. She tries to shrug off Rito's thanks as if she was being The Gadfly.
- It Amused Me: After Mea and Yami both are "led astray" by their time on Earth, she decides to also pay a visit there. She then decides to tease Rito quite a bit, finding it interesting.
- Kimono Fanservice: Type B, of the Going Commando Variety.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: She loves to force Rito to do her bidding, and keeps asserting that he's her servant. She stops calling him this and switches to First-Name Basis after she and Rito begin Sharing a Body.
- Ms. Fanservice: Well, she is a girl that: never wears panties, can change the size of her breasts or tranform her entire body and has no problem in showing her naked anything to Rito.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Her name is Nemesis.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: If she hadn't spent so much time and effort into goading Yami to unlock her Darkness form, there's no way any of the cast would have been able to handle Kuro.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Nemisis has zero sense of personal space and seems to enjoy getting uncomfortably close to others. She has also been shown to be something of a Cuddle Bug as she ends up clinging to Rito whenever she has the chance.
- No Social Skills: Her stated reason for remaining in the shadows.
- Not So Different: From Momo, who finds her very distasteful.
- Oh Crap!: When Mea, with the help of Oshizu's Psychic Powers, manages to separate herself and become free from her grasp.
- Polyamory: She wants Rito involved in sexy hijinks with the girls of his Unwanted Harem, including herself, and will do anything she can to see it happen, but she wants Rito to be fully aware of what's going on, and draws the line at the use of aphrodisiacs that take away his consciousness without his knowledge or consent.
- Power Perversion Potential: Shares this trait with Yami and Mea, but Nemisis literally hits Rito in the face with this by aging herself up and subjecting him to Marshmallow Hell. Momo also notes how "convenient" it is.
- Shapeshifting Seducer: She can change her appearance into anything she desires. Another chapter has her transform her body into Yui, Mikan and Lala in order to tease Rito.
- Rapunzel Hair: Like Yami she has long hair, but hers is black.
- Sharing a Body: After Nemesis' battle with Gid nearly killed her, Rito offered his body for her to use as a temporary vessel until she recovered her strength. Much to his chagrin, this allows her to take control of his body to say and do things he normally wouldn't such as being openly perverted and jumping Momo to fondle her.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She is undeniably an exhibitionist. Not only does she like to molest Rito and Momo in public, but after Sharing a Body with Rito, especially when she knows she's being watched, she will manifest in a way that makes it look and sound likes she's having full blown sex with Rito, as much as possible.
- Softspoken Sadist: Is very calm in describing... things she want to do to Rito.
- Split-Personality Takeover: Nemesis said that Mea was nothing but a split personality Nemesis fabricated to get close to Rito and Yami, and Nemesis pulls off a hijack once Yami's Darkness protocol activates. It's later revealed, however, that Nemesis lied just to push Yami over the edge and that Mea is an actual person. It's just that they fused when they first met as Nemesis was physically unstable and Mea was mentally unstable.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Mitarashi Dango, which she's seen with every other time she makes an appearance.
- The Vamp: Probably the most sexual character shown so far. She's far more direct than even Momo and is vastly more depraved. After her Heel–Face Turn she's become more like a Lovable Sex Maniac.
- Voice Changeling: In addition to her shape-shifting abilities, she can also change her voice to sound just like anyone.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Nemesis can alter her appearance and reshape her body to look more adult-like and even change her appearance to look exactly like other people. She can fully transform into animals, even those much smaller than herself, such as a crow or a cat. She can also grow a pair of butterfly wings that gives her the ability to fly.
- Voice Changeling: Part of her skill set, as seen first in the chapter 29 of Darkness, where she used Rito's voice to get Momo into trouble with Mikan.
Voiced by: Takehito KoyasuLala's bodyguard and the ace of the Devilukean military, Zastin was tasked to retrieve Lala until he was mistakenly swayed by Rito's words on Lala's Arranged Marriage, citing he truly understands the princess' feelings (though that wasn't what Rito meant). Choosing to stay on Earth to continue watching after Lala, Zastin in the meantime works as an assistant for Rito's father Saibai and is learning how to draw manga himself.
- Bishōnen: Saki fell in love with him because of this.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Much to Gid's chagrin, Zastin becomes quite an accomplished mangaka under Saibai's direction. Well, in the manga, at least.
- Char Clone: His role in the last episode(s) of the 1st anime gives off this vibe. The fact that his voice actor has voiced other Char clones in the past is already saying something.
- The Chew Toy: Literally — the first time Rito meets him, a stray dog starts gnawing the bone-like "armor" on Zastin's leg. The dog shows up, again chewing his armor, at least once more in the series.
- Demoted to Extra: He starts getting less and less screen time in the anime, and doesn't play much of a role by the time Darkness rolls around.
- Expy: To Creed Diskenth of Black Cat, at least in appearance and powers, except he's more of a bumbling but amiable soldier.
- Faux Action Guy: He's supposedly a very competent fighter, but he either arrives late to the party or gets knocked out one way or another at the beginning of the fights.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Military training in Deviluke sure prepared his body for a ton of harm hurled his way.
- Laser Blade: Zastin always carries a big green energy sword.
- Master Swordsman: His official occupation.
- No Sense of Direction: Justified, since Earth is an unfamiliar environment to him in the beginning. Unfortunately, he gets hammered with this in subsequent reappearances that it mostly derails him.
- Shoulders of Doom: That he wears contsantly, regardless of how much this makes him stick out like a sore thumb on Earth.
- Those Two Guys: Occasionally seen with his aides, Maul and Smutts.
Run/Ren Elsie Jewelria
Voiced by: Fukuya Oura
Sainan High School: Both 2nd YearsA childhood friend of Lala, Ren hails from the planet Memorze (a planet shown by one of Lala's flashbacks as an Arabian-styled world). When they were children, Lala absentmindedly promised him to marry him should he become manly. Taking it for face value, upon arrival on Earth, Ren arrives to prove that he's manlier than Rito. Unfortunately, his pursuit leads to an unexpected circumstance with "Run", his alter-ego — and a girl both in body and personality — triggered by a sneeze. In direct contrast to Ren, Run is infatuated with Rito, leading her to become an idol in hopes of gaining Rito's attention.
- Accidental Kiss: Ren with Rito. The surprising thing here is that this incident is what caused Run to fall for Rito.
- A Day in the Limelight:
- Darkness 9 is dedicated to Ren and Run splitting into two separate beings.
- Run gets another chapter of her own with Darkness 68 where she obtains an item that is basically a Love Potion to try to get Rito to express his feelings for her. However, her plan gets stalled by Nemesis at the last second.
- She also gets an in-universe example in the same chapter due to revealing her alient heritage publicly alongside Kyouko.
- Big Eater: Run, in the anime only.
- Butt Monkey: Both of them.
- Ren when he return in control while wear femine dress or when other characters mock his lack of appearance.
- Run when every scheme to impress Rito and defeat Lala backfire to her.
- Character Development: Both.
- In the first series, Run personality was really childish, and she would always try to pull pranks on Lala (which ultimately fail) to get back at her for all of the mischief she suffered from her. But in "Darkness", she has greatly matured, as she no longer pulls any pranks on Lala and focuses on her work as an idol.
- In "Darkness", Ren's appearances become less frequent, but he seems to have become more calm and mature. He doesn't seem to try to impress Lala or try to compete against Rito anymore, so it's possible that he has accepted him as Lala's lover, although Ren still shows his love for her.
- Demoted to Extra:
- Ren. His early role as Rito's rival is put aside in favor of Run. In Darkness, after that Ren and Run have literally split into two separate individuals, he rarely appears.
- That said, Run doesn't get to spend much time with Rito either, mostly because of her work as an idol, but also due to the sheer amount of girls around him.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Run and Ren are sons of the planet Memorze's king, so tecnically they are a prince and a princess.
- Expy: Of Ran from Urusei Yatsura (their names are almost the same even), minus the Bitch in Sheep's Clothing aspect of her character. Like Ran with Lum, Run was Lala's childhood friend who went through a lot of slapstick abuse and was forced to dress up like a girl as Ren. At least Ren/Run didn't get spanked like Ran did, though.
- Gender Bender: Memorzeans can change gender via a particular stimulus. In his/her case, it's a sneeze, though it's supposedly only that easy when on Earth.
- Genki Girl: Run.
- Half-Identical Twins: They become this after their split.
- Hopeless Suitor: Ren no matter what he does can't change Lala's mind about who she likes. Similarly, Run also has problems trying to seduce Rito, but at least she can became a member of his harem.
- Idiot Hair: Both of them have hair with two points sticking out.
- Idol Singer: Around midway through the story, Run becomes a famous idol and actress and releases several albums.
- I Want to Be a Real Man: Ren strives to be manly after Lala absentmindedly agreed to marry him if he did back when they were children.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Ren.
- Literal Split Personality: As of Darkness, Ren and Run have literally split into two separate individuals as a result of achieving a metamorphosis simply described as "reaching adulthood". Naturally, both have something to be happy about.
- Pepper Sneeze: In case (s)he needs to switch genders on the fly.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Run to Rito and Ren to Lala.
- Stalker with a Crush: Run has some tendencies in this direction, especially in episode 16, which focuses almost entirely on her stalking Rito. Ren initially for Lala; however, with the progress of the series, he seems to have given up.
- Stripperific: The Blue Metalia outfit that Run wears when starring at the Magical Kyouko show. Once it cause also a Wardrobe Malfunction.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Ren towards Lala, though with he and Ren splitting into individual bodies, he may have a chance with Lala again.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In Darkness, Ren doesn't seem to try to impress Lala or try to compete against Rito anymore, so it's possible that he has accepted him as Lala's lover, although Ren still shows his love for her by informing Rito how kind she really is.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Run has sea-green hair.
Dr. Ryouko Mikado
Voiced by: Masako Joh (2008-2010), Harumi Sakurai (2012-present)
Sainan High School: NurseSchool doctor of Sainan High, Ryouko is actually a former operative from an alien black market who wanted to overthrow Emperor Gid, then fled to Earth to hide from her former clients. Dr. Ryouko provides medical care to other extraterrestrials on Earth, but isn't above providing mysterious concoctions to her students.
- Absolute Cleavage: Mikado often wears a pink top that slightly shows the top of her breasts.
- Adaptation Expansion: She appears a lot more often in the first TV series than she does in the manga.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Darkness, chapters 65 and 66 are standouts for Mikado as she tries to help Rito correct what she dubbed as his "Cataplectic Indecency Syndrome" disease. After being subjected to Rito's "talent" as an Accidental Pervert, Mikado claim that she doesn't want to defy an act of god anymore, and that he's better off just letting his disease help women fall in love with him.
- Cool Big Sis: One of the few adult females in the series, who often gives advice and information to the younger characters.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was part of an operation to overthrow Gid Deviluke at one point in her life. These days, she keeps a low profile as a nurse on Earth.
- Harem Nanny: Is pretty much the only somewhat sane female character next to Mikan. She does have her moments though...and then Darkness 66 happened.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Rito gives it to her so good, she's convinced that his Accidental Pervert moments are his natural talent.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After using Tearju as a Butt Monkey for the entirety of chapter 66, Rito's treatment regiment has him target her for his Accidental Pervert mishap. She's overjoyed.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's got the second biggest breasts in the series, hers only being a centimeter smaller than Tearju's. Only difference is that Mikado has no problem showing them off.
- Pointed Ears: The only visible sign of her alien heritage, though normally concealed by her hair.
- School Nurse: She is the school doctor of Sainan High
- Hospital Hottie: Outside school, she provides medical care to other extraterrestrials on Earth.
- The Tease: Has no problem teasing Rito from time to time about his particular "issues" over women.
Voiced by: Chiemi ChibaA human/alien idol and star of her the TV show "Magical Kyouko", a Heroic Comedic Sociopath whose solution to any problem is to Kill It with Fire. She works alongside Run and becomes fast friends with her.
- Ascended Extra: Kyouko was born as fictonial character of her Show Within a Show. After, she appears as real character and became Run's best friend. In "Darkness" she is also promoted to new potential harem member of Rito.
- Big Bad: Her "role" during the Trouble Game arc. Well, was not the real Kyouko, but a an artificial character created by Lala sisters.
- Catch Phrase: As "Magical Kyouko"..."Whatever the problem is, I'll solve it by burning it!"
- Clark Kenting: Inverted with "Magical Kyouko". As Kyouko reveals to Run in an episode where Run costars as a MK villain, she actually DOES have pyrokinesis in real life thanks to her alien heritage. "Magical Kyouko" was created by her idol producer as a way for her to use her powers constructively without revealing them, as anyone not involved in the show would believe it to be a special effect.
- No longer the case as of Chapter 68 where it's revealed she announced her alien heritage alongside Run.
- Expy: Based on the girl with the same name from Black Cat, down to the voice actress, though with a comical personality.
- Half-Human Hybrid: States herself that she's half-human and half-Flame Seijin.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Her TV persona's Catch Phrase is no exaggeration: Magical Kyouko solves all her problems with incineration.
- Magical Girl: What her show is all about.
- Meganekko: Her look as student.
- Playing with Fire: Kyouko possesses the ability of fire manipulation, the power to create and control fire with her mind and burn whatever she may desire. She usually passes this off as magic tricks and special effects on her show during her acting role as Magical Kyōko TV series, or to defend herself from perverts like the Principal. Kyouko is also able to create constructs made of fire, such as flame lettering in the air.
- Shipper on Deck: Kyouko knows about Run's feelings towards Rito and wishes the best of luck in getting him.
- Show Within a Show: The star of "Magical Kyouko", an obvious parody of the Magical Girl genre — where else can you find a transformation that involves the girl going to the toilets to change, or troubleshooting by burning?
Voiced by: Ryoka YuzukiLala's gift to Rito for his sixteenth birthday, Celine was a giant, sentient sunflower kept in his backyard. Like the rest of his plants, Rito makes sure Celine is cared for, even referring to it as his family. After Celine contracts a disease, causing it to dry up and germinate, out pops an infant Celine from the seed. Looking like a human child (except with a noticeable flower on her head), Celine lives with in the Yuuki household and occasionally calls Rito "Mama".
- Blush Sticker
- Cheerful Child: She loves people, coke, and well anything, being a toddler who's curious about the world.
- Children Are Innocent: She might as well be the poster child for this trope. She is so well behaved that Rito can take her anywhere without fear of her causing an incident. He's taken her to his high-school without incident, numerous times. She's been in Lala's laboratory, where even Rito himself is not safe, without any issue, as long as she's kept occupied, and has at least minimal supervision. The only time(s) she's gotten in trouble are when she's drunk on soda, or somebody left her unattended in front of a tempting portal. Further, nobody takes issue with her sucking on ample exposed breasts because she's a toddler, and that's what they do.
- Drunk on Milk: Like Belldandy, Celine can't handle cola.
- Good Parents: Celine is truly blessed to have these. Rito and Mikan are at the top of the list, of course, but everybody in Rito's harem and Saki has had a turn at looking after her, and they are all willing to bend over backwards to make her happy, if they can.
- Happily Adopted: For all intents and purposes. Despite not being Rito's child, by blood, she recognizes him as "papa."(Which is well deserved.) Unfortunately, despite Lala being the one who actually filled out the paperwork, and brought her to the Yukki household, Celine recognizes Mikan as "mama." Chapter 36.5 of Darkness makes this explicit on the final page.
- Human Alien
- Is That Cute Kid Yours?: Frequently mistaken for being Rito's daughter.
- Love Potion: When she is drunk (with cola) the flower on her head can spray a pollen that temporarily causes anyone who inhales it to fall in love with Rito, man, woman or animal. It was theorized to be a side-effect from Celine's affection for her "Mama".
- In one of the extra chapters from Darkness, we get to see how Celine's pollen works from a first-person perspective: It strongly induces sexual arousal in response to highly specific set of stimuli, i.e. anything related with Rito. Things like his voice, visage, presence and particularly his touch become huge turn-ons to the person infected with the pollen. Interestingly, it turns out that if said person already has an interest in Rito (eg. Mikan, Yami), they behave distinctly from the rest and are better able to control themselves, probably because they have an easier time differentiating their own feelings from the induced ones.
- Marshmallow Hell: Inverted. One of her favorite things to do is latch on an ample bosom and start sucking. Not because she's breastfeeding, but because she's merely curious about the experience. Since she's practically a toddler, nobody bothers to correct her on this. The one who came closest, Lala, just directs her to another target, Riko. Amusingly, Lala's also the one who innocently gave her the idea by sharing a children's picture book with her that includes breast-feeding.
- Overnight Age-Up: In one chapter, 36.5 of Darkness, she grew to resemble a preteen girl and then reverted back to being an infant.
- Plant Aliens: Even as a plant, Celine behaves like a human — sweating when hot, wearing an oversized scarf when cold, and eating a giant bowl of ramen when hungry. Of course, she subverts it later and becomes a Human Alien.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ramen.
- Token Mini-Moe: Of the entire cast, discounting the preteen Mikan.
- Verbal Tic: "Mau!"
A hitman who knows Golden Darkness in the past. Kuro is the one who set her free from the Eden organization.
- Anti-Hero: Firmly in the Nominal Hero category as he isn't very selective about which contracts he'll accept. Even Yami was more discriminating, as her contract against Rito had him described as an utterly depraved individual.
- Art Evolution: Ever since Darkness Chapter 70, his hair appears shinier and spikier.
- Blood Knight: When he found himself facing off against Mea and Nemesis together, he was ecstatic.
- The Bus Came Back: Kuro returns later in "Darkness" where he's hired by Azenda to assassinate Rito while the three Deviluke princesses are attending an event on their home planet. However, Nemesis, Mea, and ultimately Yami interfere with his attempt.
- Expy: Of Train Heartnet, the main character of Black Cat. Also his name in English, Black, represents Train's nickname as an assassin known as "Black Cat". Train is also friends with Eve, the character whom Yami resembles in both appearance and abilities.
- Energy Weapon: Kuro's primary weapon is hades, a gun he carries around for the use of his skilled marksmanship. This gun can manipulate psychic energy, and fire the energy in the form of bullets.
- Guns Akimbo: He wields two guns that he fires simultaneously.
- The Gunslinger: Kuro is a master gunman, using his guns to accurately shoot and kill his opponents.
- Heel–Face Turn: After being beaten by Yami in her Darkness form, he decides to quit the assassination business and plan to change like Yami.
- Hero of Another Story: He was the one who set Yami free by destroying the Eden organization that created her.
- Nothing Personal: He flat-out tells Rito that he has no grudge before shooting at him.
- Professional Killer: He's an assassin for hire. He has quit with the assassination after his clas with Yami.
- Punch Clock Villain: As long as he's not contracted to kill you, he's perfectly content to leave you alone, as long as you don't get in his way.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: A mere glimpse of his blood-lust and power is enough to make Azenda wet her pants, and he was really holding back.
- The Stoic: He seems to be very moody, and hardly shows any emotions. However, he smiled after Yami beat him in a fight in Darkness Chapter 72.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
Prof. Tearju Lunatique
Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
Sainan High School: Substitute TeacherA motherly figure to Yami who has taken a job as a Sainan High School substitute teacher in order to continue watching over her. As a foremost genius in the field of biotechnology, Tearju was once a part of a scientific team that created Yami and also provided her biological makeup; making her technically the latter's mother. She left the group, however, due to disagreements over treating Yami as a Living Weapon against the Deviluke family, and vanishes without a trace. In reality, she was being hunted down by her former clients until she was found by her university classmate, Dr. Mikado, who convinces her to come to Earth in hopes to help her reconcile with her "daughter".
- Adoptive Peer Parent: Of a surrogate sorts towards Yami.
- Blind Without 'Em: So blind she can faceplant into Rito's crotch and be more concerned with her missing glasses.
- Butt Monkey: As Rito shares his trait of being prone to bad luck, Mikado forces her to be her guinea pig for testing Rito's skill.
- Christmas Cake: Downplayed. Mikado teases her about how she's not qualified to give romantic advice because her childhood obsession with biology single-handedly strangled every potential relationship Mikado aimed her way. Tearju tries to fire back about Mikado's similar status, but to no avail.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She can be very shy and clumsy, both physically and socially, and can sometimes end up in awkward moments. She can be every bit as klutzy as Rito, even inverting his usual face-planting paradigm.
- Expy: Of the similarly-named character in Black Cat. Darkness leans her towards being an Alternate Universe version, with the link between the two Tearjus being the character "Eve" (which happens to be Yami's true name).
- Green Eyes: Has green eyes.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She has very blonde hair and is one of the nicest characters in the entire cast.
- Hair Intakes: Her hair has a pair of what look like cat ears.
- Hot Scientist: Tearju studied Biotechnology and she was part of an organization that would create Eve (later named Yami).
- Hot Teacher: She is currently a teacher at Sainan High. In the first day she is immediately harassed by boys in the class, such as Saruyama, who asks her various questions, such as if she is single.
- Human Alien: Out of all the alien characters, she appears to be more human than all the others.
- In Universe Nickname: "Tear", even by Yami.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Subverted. It's pretty clear that in the extra chapter of volume 7 (It Feels) she reaches orgasm, but when she actually does climax she covers the mouth with her hand and doesn't make a sound.
- Meganekko: Always wears glassess.
- Missing Mom: To Yami. Tearju raised her like a little sister.
- Motherly Scientist: She was part of an organization that would create Eve (later named Yami). Tearju raised her like a daughter/little sister, and would really, really like to resume that relationship; unfortunately, she's not talented at it, and more often comes across like a Meddling Parent.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is one of the most physically curvaceous characters in the series, and while only a centimeter bigger than Mikado's, she has the biggest breasts in the series.
- Nice Girl: She is very kind to those around her.
- Oh Crap!: Has several, but the most telling is seeing (and recognizing) Yami's "Darkness" transformation.
- Rapunzel Hair: Tearju has long blond hair.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Since her first appearance where she and Rito end up naked thanks to Lala's teleporter device. Special mention when Mikado uses her to test Rito's "skill."
Voiced by: Mitsuaki MadonoOne of Lala's other suitors, and the first that Rito has to defend her from.
- Abhorrent Admirer: He is physically and morally repulsive.
- Harem Seeker: Of the "traveling salesman" variety, at least in the anime. He has a history of marrying females of various species, and then running away once he sires offspring.
- Jerkass: He blackmailed Rito into giving up Lala when taking Haruna hostage, for which Rito describes him being the worst.
- Laser-Guided Karma: In the manga, Lala flushes him down what looks like a toilet. In the anime, the wives and children he abandoned come looking for him instead. YMMV on which is worse.
- Parental Abandonment: In the anime, he abandons his wives to find new ones once he produces offspring.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Implied. He certainly is not averse to drugging/ paralyzing females, deliberately stripping their clothes off, against their will, and molesting them. Fortunately, Rito came to Lala and Haruna's aid before we found out if he would go all the way.
- This Cannot Be!: He was utterly stunned that Rito would actually attack him.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can make himself look like a roid-raging demon, but he lacks the physical strength to match. Rito did not hesitate to call his bluff. This◊ is his real form.
Voiced by: Kappei Yamaguchi
The second of Lala's other suitors. He is the one who hired Yami to go after Rito.
- Abhorrent Admirer: He is every bit as unpleasant as Ghi Bree, and then some.
- Bad Boss: Yami made explicitly clear that in order for her to succeed in her contract, the information on her target must be accurate. When she found out he outright lied about Rito's character, and confronted him on it, he tried to have her Swallowed Whole.
- Clothing Damage: He brings with him a giant frog whose very existence is dedicated to this purpose, before swallowing people whole.
- Cool Crown: He wears a rather nice looking crown.
- The Evil Prince: Lacospo is a prince from the planet Gaama. Like most of Lala's fiancé candidates, he claims to have deep love interests in her but also like the others, he only cares about being the next successor to Deviluke.
- Expy: Lacospo has a slight resemblence to a Dragon Ball character, Emperor Pilaf. Both are small evil guy, have odd colored skin, pointy ears and wear a smilar outfit.
- I Lied: He outright lies to Yami about Rito's character, and when she confronts him on it, wondering what else he's lying about (like her reward) he tries to kill her by having his pet clothes-dissolving frog swallow her whole.
- Jerkass: He hired Golden Darkness and Ranjula to assassinate Rito.
- Little Bit Beastly: He has some frog or toad features.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: He's apparently the heir apparent for becoming king of his race.
- Small Role, Big Impact: He only has one episode in the anime, and even less of a presence in the manga, only appearing in a cameo or two, but without him Yami, and later Mea and Nemesis would never have come to Earth.
- Sunk Cost Fallacy: Sends an assassin after Rito to claim Lala for himself. When the assassin in question finds out he was lying, and voids the contract, he sends another assassin after the first, to recover his reputation, and take Lala. When that fails, he sends yet another assassin, and threatens the entire Deviluke family, to take Lala... Until Nana puts him in his place with a Giant Cobra, his race's natural enemy. As of this update, he has yet to return, although at least four bounty hunters, not hired by Nemesis, show up gunning for Yami, and scared off by Mea.
RanjulaOne of the other assassins hired by Lacospo to try and assassinate Rito.
- Evil Gloating: Instead of killing Rito when he had the chance, he stopped to gloat at Yami's apparent helplessness instead. It allowed Rito to come to Yami's aid and defeat him.
- Evil Laughter: When he had Rito and Yami trapped in his webs.
- Unknown Rival: To Yami. Yami barely knew who he was, but one of the reasons Ranjula accepted the contract on Rito is that he could go after Yami in the process.
KarmanAn alien fashion model obsessed with Peke.
- Amusing Injuries: Combined with Tap on the Head. When Rito clobbers him with a baseball bat, he immediately gets an exaggerated bump on the top of his head. Though it's more cathartic than amusing, considering what he planned to do to Peke.
- Did Not Think This Through: All the aspects of his "plan" to take Peke for himself were beyond idiotic to anyone who takes even a second to consider the long term consequences. Even if he had somehow managed, by some miracle, to succeed in using a drill to "reprogram" Peke into his obedient clothing bot, there's no way Lala Deviluke was going to be happy about it. In the more likely scenario of causing irreperable harm... well, the Deviluke people are warriors with planet busting powers.
- Entitled to Have You: To Peke.
- Facial Markings: He has a star on his cheek. It is not revealed if it's makeup, a tattoo, or some other kind of skin pigmentation.
- The Fashionista: He's a (supposedly famous) fashion model.
- Fashion-Victim Villain: In universe. His outfit and posture is so attrocious, random passerby cower and loudly decry him for it, which he promptly ignores. This is somewhat justifed by the fact that he's an alien fashion model, and the magazines he poses for feature exotic designs. It still doesn't excuse the fact that he's intentionally drawing a great deal of attention to himself while preparing to perpetrate a crime, and a rather grievous one at that.
- It's All About Me: Just because he's a fashion model highlighted in alien fashion magazines, he thinks the universe revolves around him.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Because he harrassed Mikan and tried to kidnap and Mind Wipe Peke, Rito beat the living daylights out of him, and left him on the riverbank where a stray dog started to take an interest in him. He fails to realize this is him getting off easy.
- Mind Wipe: Repeatedly threatens to erase Peke's memory of Lala with a drill.
- Punny Name: His name is Karman. (Karma+Man)
- Sissy Villain: Loud, flamboyantly, and flashily dressed to the point of revulsion.
- Too Dumb to Live: He not only loudly identifies himself, by name, but hands out magazines prominently featuring his picture, and grabs a human-form Peke against her will in front of numerous witnesses, and takes off with her on foot. How he thought this was going to go well for him is anyone's guess.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Although he more or less ends his appearance promising revenge, he hasn't been seen for the rest of the original series or in any chapters of Darkness. Even Azenda The Tyrant who was arrested still managed to return, so why hasn't he?
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: He repeatedly states that he doesn't care about "the will of a robot."
KhameleonAn alien master of disguise who was trying to escape from a space mafia with highly classified information. The mafia hired the assassin Kuro to kill him.
- Expy: His appearance is similar to King Nikochan from Dr. Slump.
- Faking the Dead: He disguised as Saki's butler Arashiyama to deceive Kuro and fake his death, though this didn't work.
- Master of Disguise: Thanks to his machine that allows him to transform in another person. He disguised as Arashiyama, before disguising as Saruyama, then Nana.
- Imposter Forgot One Detail: After his machine is damaged, Khameleon turns into Nana hoping to throw Kuro and Yami off. However, his transformation backfires, as he forgot to copy Nana's chest size, which angers Nana into beating him to a pulp.
- Pragmatic Villain: Knowing that he had no chance against Kuro, he tried to fake Arashiyama's death and later, he disguised as Saruyama, to use Lala and Yami to defeat Kuro.
NemesisSee Living Weapons.
Azenda the Tyrant
Voiced by: Risa Hayamizu
A rival assassin from Yami's guild. Formerly the number one assassin in the galaxy before Yami took the title.
- And Then What?: Supposing her plans had gone through without a hitch, in exchange for a brief moment of sadistic pleasure, she would have made herself a prime target of rage for numerous people capable of wielding powers of destruction on a planetary scale.
- Bring My Brown Pants: After hiring Kuro to attack Rito in order to spite Momo and Yami, she wets herself when he makes explicitly clear how far beneath him she is, and proclaiming that he's going to do it his way. Kuro wasn't even trying.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Very dark skin, and blonde hair.
- Dirty Coward: Ambushes and then hides behind Mikan to prevent counterattacks.
- Evil Gloating: She's not just out to kill Yami, but to humiliate her as well. This would cost her the victory, twice.
- Immodest Orgasm: After being victim of her own machinations regarding Rito, she lets out a loud scream and then can clearly be seen in quiet, post-orgasmic afterglow. Mea is thrilled, Nemesis is bemused, and Yami is mortified.
- Laser-Guided Karma: She tries to kill Rito purely to spite Yami and Momo, and eventually falls victim to his "signature ability".
- Mind over Matter: She uses this ability to move objects with her mind, primarily through her whip.
- More Than Mind Control: Does this to Mikan to prevent Yami from fighting back.
- Mugging the Monster:
- Threatened Momo to try to keep her from interfering with Yami's humiliation and execution, using Mikan as a puppet. She quickly realized why that is a bad idea.
- Tried to attack Rito personally and ended up being a victim of his Accidental Pervert skills. Lampshaded by Nemesis ("Rito is invincible against a woman").
- People Puppets: Her preferred method of combat, when on Earth, since humans have little to no resistance to her abilities.
- Rape by Proxy: Uses a mind-controlled Mikan to try to rape Yami before killing her.
- The Resenter: Loathes Yami with a passion because Yami dared to be better than her in combat, and in the assassin business.
- Revenge: Wants to kill Yami both to reclaim her spot as number one assassin in the galaxy and to avenge her (non-lethal) loss in combat.
- Revenge by Proxy: Realizing that Momo and Yami are both too strong for her to take on, she hires Kuro to go after Rito purely to spite them.
- Smug Super: Thinks and acts like she's vastly superior to everyone in the cast. Momo wound up only too happy to show her how wrong she is. And during their rematch later in Darkness, Yami not only curbstomps her, but makes it very clear that if she dares go after Mikan again, for any reason, her life is forfeited.
- Stripperific: Her outfit leaves very little to the imagination.
- Villains Want Mercy: She's quick to beg forgiveness and plead for her life when Momo has her cornered, and unable to move. Momo declines, though she does not actually kill her.
- Virtue Is Weakness: She outright condemns Yami for daring to make friends on Earth, especially Mikan... Until Momo comes to Yami's rescue.
- Whip It Good: She also attacks with a whip when she's not using people puppets or psychokinesis.