A list of characters for To Love-Ru
and To Love Ru Darkness
open/close all folders
The protagonist and resident Chick Magnet
. An ordinary, shy teenage boy who's deeply in love with his long term crush Haruna Sairenji, but has the
worst luck when it comes to love much less telling her how he feels about her. After sulking in his bathtub one night, a sexy naked pink-haired girl emerges from his tub. Turns out that said girl — Lala — is an extraterrestrial royal princess from the faraway planet of Deviluke looking for an excuse not to go home, setting off Rito's daily routine of trouble and unintentional perversions which get more and more ridiculous as the series progresses.
The original subject of Rito's affections (and sometimes perverted fantasies), Haruna is the sweet, kind Girl Next Door
of their class. As it turns out, she, too, has unspoken feelings for the boy. When Lala came into their lives, instead of a simmering love triangle she quickly became friends with Lala, and even admits to her that she also loves Rito, a feeling Lala encourages
Head of Sainan High School's Public Morals Committee, Yui is seemingly obsessed with everything being proper and decent. Much to her displeasure, most of Rito's troubles has dragged her along with him. Thanks to spending time with him, Yui admits she can't deny she has some affection for Rito, but develops an exceptional case of "Cannot Spit It Out
- Accidental Misnaming: Her name is Kotegawa, not Kokegawa.
- Ascended Extra: Following a certain point in the first manga, Yui was given increasingly greater exposure even as Haruna appeared less and less.
- Butt Monkey/The Chew Toy: Initially, the harder she tries to keep order, the more screwy fate treats her. Seriously, just how many times has she been involved in Rito's... accidents?
- Buxom Is Better: As Risa thinks of her.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Much like Rito, Yui cannot be honest with her feelings.
- Catch Phrase
- Control Freak: An extreme example. One chapter shows her giving demerits for every wrongdoing of her classmates. This even extends to her household, where she hounds her older brother for going around shirtless.
- Covert Pervert: Proving that she's not so above the perverted hijinks of the series, she occasionally has some... interesting thoughts.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She initially acts bitchy to both Rito and Lala. Over time, she loosens up a bit and even picks on Rito when he has one of his classic "accidents". This ultimately culminates in Chapter 4 of Darkness where she finds herself in Rito's room laying on his bed wearing nothing but a button up shirt confiding to Rito that she finally understands that basically boys will be boys even if they do perverted things. She even implies she wouldn't mind if Rito would like to do "shameless things" with her as long as it's only her. Yui then tries to pass off what she said as a joke and even claims it was all a test afterwards when Rito fumbles for the right response.
- Forgotten First Meeting: Recently remembered that she already met Rito a long time ago.
- Girlish Pigtails: As a child.
- He is Not My Boyfriend: Almost completely in denial about her feelings for Rito, even unto herself — more so when she makes him chocolate for Valentine's, all the while insisting that it's just "obligatory chocolate", and after imagining herself becoming married to Rito and eventually pregnant. Right, Yui, you just keep saying that to yourself...
- Hypocritical Humor: Risa notes how hilarious it is that a Sour Prude like her has so curvy a body.
- If It's You, It's Okay: What she says to Rito in Chapter 4 of Darkness. In typical Tsundere fashion, Yui tries to deny being serious about what she said...
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Only short of owning one. She even goes to window-shop to pet stores and a lot of her belongings are cat-themed, including a meowing ringtone set to (you guessed it) Rito's number.
- Not So Different: With Rito of all people when it comes to relationship woes minus the over the top ecchi scenarios.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Fits in perfectly with her Tsundere qualities.
- Sour Prude: Frequently chides other students for their "inappropriate" behavior and asserts herself to be uninterested in anything related to sex.
- Tsundere: A classic Type A.
Sainan High's queen bee who considers Lala her rival. Of course, her numerous attempts at showing Lala up just made her embarrass herself in the end. She has a crush on Zastin, and is dismayed to learn that he's Lala's servant.
- Alpha Bitch: How she initially comes across...
- Attention Whore: She loves to be in the spotlight. The reason for her initial resentment towards Lala is that Lala receives much more attention from the boys at school.
- Demoted to Extra: While in TLR was more or less a regular character, in Darkness she rarely appears. Probably because she is one of the few girls who are not in love with Rito.
- Evil Noblewoman's Laugh
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While having an arrogant attitude most of the time, Saki has been shown to deeply care about those who are close to her, and throw parties or get togethers which she invites the rest of the cast to on numerous occasions.
- Large Ham: As expected of a pretentious rich person.
- Lethal Chef: After feeding her servants a meal she made herself they all got sick.
- Ms. Fanservice: Only in the first series.
- Odango Hair
- Ojou: She is a type two: stuck up and prideful, but shows a kind side towards people in need.
- Ojou Ringlets
- Rich Bitch: A textbook example, with her wealth and over-the-top haughty attitude.
- Running Gag: Things never go her way when she tries to tell Zastin how she feels about him.
Rin Kujou and Ayako "Aya" Fujisaki
Voiced by: Creator/Mai Hashimoto
Voiced by: Creator/Kaori Mizuhashi
The two bodyguards and friends of Saki.
Rito's younger, more level-headed sister, Mikan's way
too mature for an eleven-year-old (later twelve), having learned to take care of herself at a young age and reportedly has hordes of admirers. That being said, accusations are leveled against Mikan by her own friends and peers as to where her true affections lie.
Mio Sawada and Risa Momioka
Haruna and Lala's classmates and good friends, Mio and Risa are a pair of inseparable friends
. Both are more than willing to help their classmates with their personal problems ranging from beauty to smarts, but aren't above doing perverted things to them.
- Bi the Way: Risa is all but confirmed to be either full blown bisexual, situationally bi, or merely bi-curious. Mio might be in the same boat as well since she too has no problem squeezing other girls boobs just for the heck of it!
- Supporting the theory that Risa in particular might go both ways is that she's not only attracted to Rito in general, (though she could just be teasing him) but also his "Riko" persona has definitely not gone unnoticed (nor untouched for that matter) by Risa.
- In an extra chapter of Darkness, Momo hangs out with Risa during the weekend and ends up showering at her place after getting covered in both drink and food curtousy of Run and Kyuoko running away from the perverted principal of Sainan High. While in the middle of her shower, a naked Risa barges in and offers to help clean Momo's back which quickly devolves into the former appearing to have her way with the latter. Geez, it sure looks like Risa knew what she was doing huh?
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Mio.
- Girlish Pigtails: Mio.
- Good Bad Girl: Risa is somewhat implied not to be a virgin, and seems to really know what she is doing when trying to get Rito to have sex with her... All said and done, that fact doesn't stop her from being a bright and good-natured girl who cares about and looks out for her friends.
- Meganekko: Mio; may overlap sometimes with Scary Shiny Glasses.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Both Risa and Mio have no problem with touching other girls' breasts.
- Skinship Grope: Both are just too happy to "feel up" other girls, but Risa does it the most out of the two.
- The Tease: Until Momo appears, Risa was the official user of this trope for the series. One particularly memorable scene has the girls discussing beauty tips. When Risa asks Rito for his opinion, he states that True Beauty Is on the Inside. Risa responds with this. In another instance, she teases Momo while in the shower, causing her to freak out and bail. She regrets overdoing it, but cheekily notes how similar Momo's reaction was to Rito's.
- Those Two Girls
A 400-year-old ghost wandering an abandoned school building, Oshizu was mistaken to have been haunting the place (in reality, it was extraterrestrials trying to find a place to live). From then on, she moves freely around the school campus; in addition, Mikado-sensei creates her an artificial body (with the same face and hairstyle as her original form) for her to inhabit. Oshizu begins working as an assistant nurse to pay off the expenses for her new body.
Rito's "best" (for want of better description) friend since junior high, Kenichi is envious of Rito for all of his Accidental Pervert
situations. He does, however, especially in the earlier chapters, support Rito/Haruna and sometimes goes out of his way to arrange time for the two to be together.
The extremely perverted, morbidly obese principal of Sainan High School.
Lala Satalin Deviluke
The runaway crown princess of Deviluke, having had enough of her father, Emperor Gid Lucion, forcing her into several Arranged Marriages
, Lala first appeared on the scene by accidentally (or rather, conveniently
) landing in Rito's bathtub... while he was in it. She winds up getting engaged to Rito, deeming him suitable enough to be her fiancÚ, though this was only to escape her father and her bodyguard Zastin. Eventually, Lala does genuinely come to love him and even encourages Haruna's love, despite the fact it interferes with her own.
- Badass Adorable: Partly due to being of Deviluke origin.
- Badass Princess: Can put up a hell of a fight against the likes of Golden Darkness when push comes to shove.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Haruna's Betty.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sweet, good-natured and sunny she certainly is, so it's very easy to forget that she also belongs to a race of world-destroying warriors... who can fight the galaxy's best assassin to a standstill in unarmed combat, and taking on an Amazon Brigade empty-handed until they figure out her "weak point".
- Cool Big Sis: Especially in Darkness.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Played with in some chapters. Lala's still her sweet bubbly self no matter what her female friends and peers try to get her to do regarding her relationship with Rito.
- Surprisingly played straight in Darkness when Peke reminds Lala about her own personal happiness with Rito. She spends the entire afternoon clinging onto him like she usually does, but Rito naturally doesn't look too much into it. Cue Momo introducing her older sister to an 18+ dating sim and Lala later surprising Rito by teleporting into his bath tub much like she did at the start of the series. Only this time she has a reason for being in Rito's bathroom. That reason being she wants to experiment with kissing. But of course, in typical TLR fashion, things don't go as planned when Rito another one of his classic "accidents". In the end, Lala settles for giving Rito a kiss on the cheek.
- Ditzy Genius/Bungling Inventor: Has a wide range of quirky gadgets she invented herself and gets straight As in school as soon as she masters Japanese, yet has an emotional maturity level of a ten-year-old.
- Fantastic Arousal: Her tail.
- Flying Brick: She's much stronger, faster, and tougher than Earthlings. Her costume allows her to fly. She can invent gadgets like Tony Stark. She always wants to help people. If she wasn't in a Harem Anime show, she would make a good Super Hero.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Though just how useful or necessary they can be is another matter.
- Genki Girl: Especially in the early chapters where shes the Fish out of Water.
- Girlish Pigtails: Usually wears this style after she used her full power and regressed to a pre-teen, fitting her new figure.
- Green Eyes
- Hair Decorations: Peke, her companion.
- Idiot Hair: fittingly enough.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Lala doesn't really seem to care all that much about anything like modesty or not being naked all the time, due to being used to having servants around to dress and undress her.
- Ki Attacks: Or something like that. Since the series isn't really Shounen so to speak, we don't see a whole lot of use.
- Lethal Chef: Likes to use alien recipes whenever she decides to cook for her fiancÚ, which he doesn't appreciate.
- MacGyvering: The primary source of most of the "trouble" in the story.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: She pushed a typhoon off course by yelling at it... because she didn't want it to ruin her trip to the beach.
- Magical Girlfriend: Who also happens to be a...
- Ms. Fanservice: Stated by Peke to have gotten her good looks from her mother; the most beautiful woman in the galaxy period!
- Also has no problem showing off the goods (albeit unintentionally!)
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Lala Satalin Deviluke.
- Nice Girl: A sweet, bubbly girl who always tries to help whenever she can. She's even willing to share Rito with Haruna, so that everyone can be happy. Peke calls her out on this, reminding her that she should also care about her own happiness.
- Nice Hat: Doubles as a magical wardrobe.
- One-Girl Army: Though she rarely gets the chance to show it.
- Older Than They Look: Her body regressed to a pre-teen girl's due to using too much power protecting Rito from Darkness!Yami. However, she states that this condition is temporary and only lasts for a short while, as she did not exhaust as much power as her father did.
- The Power of Love: Rito's confession is enough to change her back to normal after her personality was changed by an alien cold.
- Prehensile Tail: And it shoots Frickin' Laser Beams.
- Pretty Freeloader: Possibly averted. Presumably Rito's parents are source of Rito and Mikan's money. They probably save enough on hired help by using Zastin et al that sending a bit more to their kids isn't a problem.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Razor Wind: A properly-motivated Lala can throw punches of compressed air strong enough to smash concrete. Since she rarely has interest in fighting, this is just as seldom-seen as the tail lasers.
- Rebellious Princess: What kicks off the story initially.
- Second Episode Morning: Second chapter has Rito waking to find her in his bed. Becomes a Running Gag.
- Vapor Wear: Supposedly, she dislikes wearing a bra.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Her sensitive tail. If an opponent grabs it, she becomes unable to fight.
Lala's bodyguard and the ace of the Devilukean military, Zastin was tasked to retrieve Lala until he was mistakenly swayed by Rito's words on Lala's Arranged Marriage
, citing he truly understands the princess' feelings (though that wasn't what Rito meant). Choosing to stay on Earth to continue watching after Lala, Zastin in the meantime works as an assistant for Rito's father Saibai and is learning how to draw manga himself.
- The Ace
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Much to Gid's chagrin, Zastin becomes quite an accomplished mangaka under Saibai's direction. Well, in the manga, at least.
- The Chew Toy: Literally — the first time Rito meets him, a stray dog starts gnawing the bone-like "armor" on Zastin's leg. The dog shows up, again chewing his armor, at least once more in the series.
- Expy: To Creed Diskenth of Black Cat, at least in appearance and powers, except he's more of a bumbling but amiable soldier.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Military training in Deviluke sure prepared his body for a ton of harm hurled his way.
- Laser Blade
- Master Swordsman: His official occupation.
- No Sense of Direction: Justified, since Earth is an unfamiliar environment to him in the beginning. Unfortunately, he gets hammered with this in subsequent reappearances that it mostly derails him.
- Shoulders of Doom
- Those Two Guys: Occasionally seen with his aides, Maul and Smutts.
Konjiki no Yami (Golden Darkness)/Eve
One of the deadliest assassins in the galaxy, Konjiki no Yami ("Yami", in shorthand) was originally hired by one of Lala's suitors to kill Rito, until a slip from his mouth reveals that Rito is not what he seems to be. Nullifying her client's contract, she turns against him and stays on Earth for the time being... all the while starting to have a crush on her erstwhile target herself, even as she continually threatens to kill him one day.
- Accidental Pervert: She accidentally grabs Riko's naked boob, and gets screamed at. Yami is so conflicted over this brief moment of role reversal that she can only react with incredulity.
- Artificial Human: Was created to be a powerful bioweapon.
- Badass Adorable/Cute Bruiser: She may be a cutie, but don't go getting any ideas. She is a lethal Living Weapon.
- Badass Bookworm: Spends most of her time reading any book she can get her hands on.
- Berserk Button:
- Anyone/anything she considers perverted. Poor Rito, being the Accidental Pervert he is, is her most frequent punching bag whenever he's in close proximity, even if she knows his latest mishap was an accident, only stopping short of killing him because she admits that she does know. Her Darkness persona expresses the opposite opinion and openly embraces her sexual side.
- It's also not a very good idea to do anything to Tearju around her. Though that may be because she always catches Rito with her while she's naked...or in post-orgasmic afterglow.
- If you value your life, don't ever threaten Mikan.
- Breast Expansion/Overnight Age-Up: Shapeshifting has its many uses.
- Breakout Character: Originally a secondary character (not that you'd know from her prominence in promotional materials), she gets promoted to a protagonist along with Momo for the Darkness sequel.
- The Comically Serious: She is usually The Stoic, even when attempting to maim Rito for accidentally molesting her.
- Catch Phrase:
"I hate ecchi people!"
- Continuity Cameo: Yami's appearance in this scene is a call-back to Eve, who was forced into a form like this while she was Brainwashed and Crazy early in the anime adaptation.
- Cute and Psycho: Her "Darkness" persona, who openly admits to being in love with Rito and wanting to be together with him forever.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She goes from being a cold-as-ice assassin to slowly accepting her humanity.
- Detached Sleeves: Her trademark black outfit have these.
- Expy: Of Eve from Black Cat, The T-1000 and possibly Fate Testarossa. As of Darkness, however, Yami is implied to be not just an expy, but an Alternate Universe version of Eve, which turns out to be also Yami's true name. And like her original, she's an enhanced clone of her creator, Tearju Lunatique.
- Evil Costume Switch: Her "Darkness" form comes with a much skimpier outfit than her trademark one.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Hair Intakes: The two "cat ears" on her hairdo.
- Heel Face Door Slam: Invoked Trope. Her "Darkness" protocol was designed to activate whenever she gains enough peace of mind to consider a Heel-Face Turn.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Her standard outfit.
- In Love with the Mark: How her relationship with Rito ultimately developed. The way the relationship started is the real reason why she loves taiyaki so much.
- Lethal Chef -> Cordon Bleugh Chef: Her first attempts at cooking were rather horrid, though justifiable by her initial limitation of knowledge of Earth's cuisine to taiyaki, so she just put that in everything. Under Mikan's instruction she does quite well at cooking, but still has a fondness for taiyaki, which she expresses by creating taiyaki miso soup, something Rito had to force down.
- Little Miss Badass: She looks only a bit older than Mikan but is one of the strongest fighters in the series.
- Living Weapon: What she initially considers herself to be, having been indoctrinated as such.
- Ms. Fanservice: Especially in Darkness.
- One-Girl Army: What she was intended to be, and for the most part she lives up to her reputation.
- The Only One Allowed to Kill You: The reason she saves Rito's ass so many times... or so she says.
- Person of Mass Destruction: The "Darkness" protocol's purpose.
- Power Perversion Potential: Milked for all it's worth in her "Darkness" form.
- Prehensile Hair: Her main weapon, combined with her shapeshifting abilities.
- Professional Killer: Softened up quite a bit since she came to Earth.
- Rapunzel Hair: She has long hair that she can freely extend at will.
- Reality Warper: In her Darkness form she can open up wormholes, among other things.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: A red-eyed young girl who was created to be a powerful bioweapon and has an eerily stoic behavior as a result, but eventually accepts her humanity and starts showing emotions more.
- She's Got Legs: A one-off character remarks how sexy her thighs are.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Can go from threatening Rito with his life to acting amiable towards Mikan in a heartbeat.
- The Stoic: She rarely shows any emotion.
- Too Many Belts: Five totally pointless but sexy-as-hell belts wrapped around each leg (the lowest of which are hidden by her shoes). She also has a pair of belts on her feet, another pair of belts on each sleeve, and two more on her abdomen for good measure. Even in her school uniform she keeps one around her left leg.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Taiyaki, and she will eat a lot of it.
- Tsundere: Develops into a strong Type A for Rito.
- Tyke Bomb: Created to be a killing machine, and to inflict wanton destruction on planetary level by the "Darkness" protocol when the universe is on the verge of achieving total peace.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: When she was a child she was downright cute and kindhearted. Unfortunately the scientists who created her had other plans.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She has Prehensile Hair which she can transform into anything, and she is also a living Shapeshifter Weapon.
- Weaponized Teleportation: In her "Darkness" form, she can form portals with her hair to send anyone near her to somewhere else, and instantly summon anyone she wants to her.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Much like Mea and perhaps Nemesis as well Yami doesn't quite get human emotions and love is one of them. Justified in that all she has ever known her whole life is killing.
- When She Smiles: Quite possibly her most lethal weapon◊.
- Why Did It Have To Be Slimy Tentacles?:: Loathes ecchi things, especially tentacles. Though the latter of those seems to induce more of a panic in her than her standard response to anything else perverted happening to her. She mentions it being a result of being lost on a planet with tentacled monsters, but trails off quickly, obviously not wanting to talk about it.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: A unique interpretation. In addition to her Dark and Troubled Past, her "creators" programmed the nanomachines that give Yami her powers with a "Darkness" mode that activates when she comes to accept the mere possibility of being able to live peacefully, turning her into a living weapon of mass destruction to make sure that the universe will never achieve true peace.
- Yandere: In her "Darkness" form, she tells Rito that she loves him, and by killing him herself, he can live on in her heart forever.
Momo Belia Deviluke
Lala's younger sister and the younger twin to Nana, Momo is rather well-endowed for her age (much to Nana's angst) and the more mischievous of the twins. Both twins fled to Earth to escape their studies back on Deviluke. She has a unique ability to talk to plants. In Darkness
she decides to come up with a plan to "make all the women in Rito's life happy" and calls it the Harem Plan
- Ax-Crazy: Has a violent side she keeps hidden, and can be a little sadistic when dealing with people who threaten her loved ones.
- Battle Aura: Rarely seen, but she's got it.
- Beneath the Mask: Always puts up a smile in front of everyone, when behind the scenes she can be quite manipulative and violent. And also very horny. So far, only Nana, and to a lesser extent, Rito, knows of what goes on inside her head. Momo once even expressed regret over being forced to show her violent side to Rito, but not so much with her perverted side. It should also be noted that she mostly shows her violent side when someone threatens the people she cares about. Under her facade, she's actually a pretty decent person.
- Berserk Button: Violent retribution awaits (s)he who dares hurt Rito or her friends!
- Breakout Character: Like Yami, Momo was a recurring secondary character, until Darkness promotes her as a protagonist.
- Even Perverts Have Standards: As much as she enjoys molesting Rito, Momo's reaction to hearing Nemesis describe how she wants to break him is equal parts disgust and fury.
- Evil Laugh: Which freaks Rito out.
- The Fake Cutie: Puts on an innocent front to hide her true personality. Only a few characters, such as her twin sister Nana and the mentally mature Mikan, can see through her fašade. This is not exactly a bad thing, mind you.
- Fantastic Arousal: Her tail. She may take full advantage of this by fondling it while fantasizing about Rito.
- For Happiness: The basis of her "Harem Plan" is to make sure everyone who loves Rito gets a happy ending, herself included.
- Gamer Chick: Playing games has apparently become one of Momo's hobbies. She has a particular interest in gal games, and thinks that they'll help her get Rito girls for the "Harem Plan".
- Genre Savvy: Granted her knowledge comes from dating sims, but her methods concerning the Harem Plan actually work for the most part. The only problem being Nemesis trying to have Rito all to herself.
- Guile Heroine/Manipulative Bitch: Depending on character viewpoint. Objectively speaking, she's more of the former, as her "Harem Plan" is not actively malicious. Quite the opposite, in fact.
- Harem Seeker: A rare inverse version in Darkness, where Momo, herself a harem girl, is doing this not for herself, but for Rito. And oddly, she even wants to add girls who have shown no interest at all in Rito to the harem (even including Saki, the only girl with a clearly-stated romantic interest in a guy other than Rito).
- Hidden Depths: At first glance, she's a sweet, kindhearted princess. Beneath that facade she's horny, manipulative, and has a serious violent streak. As Darkness progresses, however, we get to see more and more of her personality, and she's a surprisingly complex character. Her love for Rito is very genuine, and she's actually shown some hesitation when it looks like he's starting to respond to her advances. In addition to this, her violent side tends to come out only when someone threatens her friends and family. Even her "Harem Plan" is intended to give the various girls crushing on Rito a happy ending with him. She may just be acting like The Cutie, but don't doubt that she's a good person.
- Horny Devils: Not a devil per se, but a very naughty alien princess. Plus, she has a devil-like tail.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Even Rito's "Riko" persona is not safe from her perverted antics.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: No matter how manipulative and naughty she can be, she genuinely cares for her family and friends.
- Little Miss Badass: At the very least, she can dodge punches like Neo, then summon plants to take down her attackers.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Even moreso than Risa. Her current goal in life is to win Rito's love and affection not just because she loves him, but also so she can have sex with him.
- Matchmaker Crush: While she actively pursues Rito to hook up with all his girls, his harem, nevertheless, includes herself, as she wants just as much affection from him, finding his "flushed face" cute.
- Ms. Fanservice: Moreso in Darkness, but much like her big sister, Momo's got very nice assets and isn't afraid to tease Rito with what she's got either.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: "Belia" is supposed to refer to "Belial".
- Not So Different: Though she would never admit it, Momo isn't that much different from Nemesis in terms of making Rito feel uncomfortable sexually speaking. The only thing that separates them is Momo genuinely likes Rito whereas Nemesis more or less sees the young man as a "servant". Momo also cares about other people besides herself that she considers friends while Nemesis is only concerned with trying to make Rito hers (thus undoing all the work Momo has put into the Harem Plan) and activating Yami's true potential as a living weapon via the "Darkness" protocol.
- Even more surprisingly, she's very similar to Rito. Later in the series, Rito's fantasies are just as explicit as hers, and when Momo has someone seriously come on to her, she freaks out and runs away, just like him.
- Oh, Crap: Has a really big one when she sees Mea transform into Nemesis.
- Perverted Drooling: Occasionally happens to her when she thinks of Rito.
- Polyamory: What she's aiming for. Momo doesn't care if she shares Rito with other girls, so long as he loves her too.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Momo is more than willing to step into the bathtub with Rito, wake him up straddling him half-dressed, etc.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Ignores all the guys who hit on her at school in favor of Rito, even in his "Riko" form.
- Taken Up to Eleven when he gets transformed into a mouse by one of Lala's devices and she's STILL attracted to him. And she didn't even know it was Rito.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She started falling for Rito when she how determined he was to rescue Celine from her apparent illness.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Belia" or "Velia"?
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Nana's tomboy.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: The most protective among Rito's love interests. When she thought Yami was trying to kill Rito and decided to interfere with their conversation, Yami commented that she could sense Momo's bloodlust. On another occasion, when her fan club tried to "save" her from Rito (by shooting him with Nerf Guns)... she was not amused◊.
Nana Asta Deviluke
Lala's younger sister and older twin to Momo. Having had enough of their studies back on Deviluke, she flees to Earth to pay Lala a visit (with Momo tagging along). Like Momo's ability to talk to plants, Nana can communicate with animals; unlike Momo, however, Nana finds it hard to believe why everyone around Rito likes him, having witnessed a few "incidents" that proves otherwise.
Gid Lucion Deviluke
Voiced by: Hidetoshi Nakamura
Father of Lala, Nana, and Momo, ruler of Deviluke and by extension the entire universe as we know it. He tasks Rito with fending off potential suitors who wish to have Lala's hand in marriage. Should he fail, the mysterious ruler of the cosmos threatens to kill not only Rito, but also blow up
the entirety of Earth. Gid is rather antsy about when Rito will succeed him as king.
- Above the Influence: The first creature to look directly at his wife's face without being affected by her inherent charm power.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With his queen.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Aside from him asking Zastin around chapter 100 or so how much longer Rito is gonna take before he gets serious with Lala and marries her so he can succeed the throne, and Zastin contacting him about Nana and Momo, he hasn't been seen ever since.
- Dirty Old Man: The only reason (in the manga) why he wants his eldest daughter to hurry up and tie the knot with Rito is so he can look up girls skirts all day long.
- Evil Is Petty: While not evil per se, should Rito fail in keeping Lala off potential suitors hands who also want to marry her, he will first kill Rito and then blow up the Earth.
- Galactic Conqueror: How he became Ruler of the Galaxy. Notably though he is trying to hand the position of The Emperor off to Rito so he can relax.
- Hero of Another Story: He conquered the galaxy in an effort to bring an end to galactic warfare and what we see of him in flashbacks he appears to be very similar to your average Shōnen protagonist. His story could probably be its own spin off.
- The Reveal: Around chapter 46 or so, Gid personally visits Earth in an attempt to hurry along Rito's "courting" of Lala. Earlier chapters built him up to be a legitimate foreboding threat since Gid only bothered communicating via his voice leaving his identity to be a mystery. While Gid is not someone you want to fuck with, you may be easily forgiven for assuming that a seemingly perverted little kid couldn't possibly be the ruler of the universe.
- Sleep Mode Size: Why he looks the way he does. He burned so much of his power in the battles to conquer the universe he ended up in his current form. This happens to Lala later in the manga as well.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Even in his current powered down form he is still a Lightning Bruiser capable of moving at high speeds and strong enough to blow up planets.
Ren/Run Elsie Jewelria
A childhood friend of Lala, Ren hails from the planet Memorze (a planet shown by one of Lala's flashbacks as an Arabian-styled world
). When they were children, Lala absentmindedly promised him to marry him should he become manly. Taking it for face value, upon arrival on Earth, Ren arrives to prove that he's manlier than Rito. Unfortunately, his pursuit leads to an unexpected circumstance with "Run", his alter-ego — and a girl both in body and personality — triggered by a sneeze. In direct contrast to Ren, Run is infatuated with Rito, leading her to become an idol in hopes of gaining Rito's attention.
Dr. Ryouko Mikado
Voiced by: Masako Joh
School doctor of Sainan High, Ryouko is actually a former operative from an alien black market who wanted to overthrow Emperor Gid, then fled to Earth to hide from her former clients. Dr. Ryouko provides medical care to other extraterrestrials on Earth, but isn't above providing mysterious concoctions to her students.
- Cool Big Sis: One of the few adult females in the series, who often gives advice and information to the younger characters.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was part of an operation to overthrow Gid Deviluke at one point in her life. These days, she keeps a low profile as a nurse on Earth.
- Harem Nanny: Is pretty much the only somewhat sane female character next to Mikan. She does have her moments though.
- Hello, Nurse!: Thanks to her voluptuous figure.
- Pointed Ears: The only visible sign of her alien heritage, though normally concealed by her hair.
- School Nurse
- The Tease: Has no problem teasing Rito from time to time about his particular "issues" over women.
idol and star of her the TV show "Magical Kyouko
", a Heroic Comedic Sociopath
whose solution to any problem is to Kill It with Fire
. She works alongside Run and becomes fast friends with her.
- Big Bad: Her "role" during the Trouble Game arc.
- Catch Phrase: As "Magical Kyouko"...
"Whatever the problem is, I'll solve it by burning it
- Clark Kenting: Inverted with "Magical Kyouko". As Kyouko reveals to Run in an episode where Run costars as a MK villain, she actually DOES have pyrokinesis in real life thanks to her alien heritage. "Magical Kyouko" was created by her idol producer as a way for her to use her powers constructively without revealing them, as anyone not involved in the show would believe it to be a special effect.
- Expy: Based on the girl with the same name from Black Cat, down to the voice actress, though with a comical personality.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Her TV persona's Catch Phrase is no exaggeration: Magical Kyouko solves all her problems with incineration.
- Magical Girl: What her show is all about.
- Playing with Fire: Her weapon of choice.
- Shipper on Deck: Supports Run/Rito.
- Although with Chapter 27, she may be falling for Rito herself.
- Show Within a Show: The star of "Magical Kyouko", an obvious parody of the Magical Girl genre — where else can you find a transformation that involves the girl going to the toilets to change, or troubleshooting by burning?
Lala's gift to Rito for his sixteenth birthday, Celine was a giant, sentient sunflower kept in his backyard. Like the rest of his plants, Rito makes sure Celine is cared for, even referring to it as his family. After Celine contracts a disease, causing it to dry up and germinate, out pops an infant Celine from the seed. Looking like a human child (except with a noticeable flower on her head), Celine lives with in the Yuuki household and occasionally calls Rito "Mama".
- Blush Sticker
- Cheerful Child: She loves people, coke, and well anything being a todder who's curious about the world.
- Drunk on Milk: Like Belldandy, Celine can't handle cola.
- Human Alien
- Is That Cute Kid Yours?: Frequently mistaken for being Rito's daughter.
- Love Potion: When she is drunk (with cola) the flower on her head can spray a pollen that temporarily causes anyone who inhales it to fall in love with Rito, man, woman or animal. It was theorized to be a side-effect from Celine's affection for her "Mama".
- In one of the extra chapters from Darkness, we get to see how Celine's pollen works from a first-person perspective: It strongly induces sexual arousal in response to highly specific set of stimuli, i.e. anything related with Rito. Things like his voice, visage, presence and particularly his touch become huge turn-ons to the person infected with the pollen. Interestingly, it turns out that if said person already has an interest in Rito (eg. Mikan, Yami), they behave distinctly from the rest and are better able to control themselves, probably because they have an easier time differentiating their own feelings from the induced ones.
- Overnight Age-Up: In one chapter she grew to resemble a preteen girl and then reverted back to being an infant.
- Plant Aliens: Even as a plant, Celine behaves like a human — sweating when hot, wearing an oversized scarf when cold, and eating a giant bowl of ramen when hungry. Of course, she subverts it later and becomes a Human Alien.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ramen.
- Token Mini-Moe: Of the entire cast, discounting the preteen Mikan.
- Verbal Tic: "Mau!"
An alien girl introduced in Darkness
, who claims to have been created by the same organization as Yami. She has been sent to Earth on a mission to take her "big sister" back.
- Arm Cannon: One of her transformable weapons, which can fire laser beams.
- Artificial Human
- Bare Your Midriff: In her combat outfit.
- Becoming the Mask: At first she was friendly toward Nana only for the sake of her Master's plan, but then she realised she really cared for her.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Seems to be quite nice, but is a very strong and ruthless fighter.
- Bi the Way: Spends a good portion of one chapter groping and/or licking Riko.
- Braids of Action
- Catch Phrase:
- The Dragon: To her master, Nemesis... who happens to be her split personality.
- Expy: Looks a lot like Suou Pavlichenko.
- Fusion Dance: When she was first created she was mentally unstable and merged with her fellow Transform bioweapon Nemesis.
- Friendly Enemy: Unlike Nemesis, she is genuinely nice to Rito, Momo, and Nana.
- Genki Girl: Is almost always smiling and energetic.
- Girly Run
- Good Bad Girl: While the rest of the cast balk at the topic of sex, Mea shows great curiosity for it, and will openly talk about her fantasy of getting Rito to lick her, to the point of outright asking him to do so. Otherwise, she's usually a very friendly and upbeat person.
- Grand Theft Me: She can, and has taken control of other people's bodies. Most notably she has done so to Rito repeatedly onscreen. This ability was also useful in rescuing Rin from a literally bloodthirsty sentient/empathic sword.
- Hair Decorations: A black pin with a white cross.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Her alternate outfit is a copy of Yami's.
- Idiot Hair
- Japanese Sibling Terminology: Refers to Yami as "Onee-chan", mostly likely as they both have similar powers.
- Jekyll & Hyde:The Jekyll to Nemesis's Hyde.
- Prehensile Hair
- Secret Keeper: Knows about Momo's "Harem Plan", but despite semi-conflicting orders, has chosen to support it. However, she won't help Momo where it comes to Yami.
- Shapeshifter Weapon
- Split Personality Takeover: As of Chapter 39. It's revealed that she and Nemesis share one body, and Nemesis declares the Mea persona is no longer needed.
- Sweet Tooth: Mea likes her tea with enough sugar cubes to peak over the top of her cup.
- Vapor Wear: Flashbacks reveal that she doesn't wear anything under her fighting outfit.
- What Is This Feeling?
"For some reason, my body's getting hot... Could this be what they call an ecchi
- What Is This Thing You Call Friendship?: Thanks to Nana playing her Mikan, she learns the same thing that Yami did — a friend's warmth.
Prof. Tearju Lunatique
The foremost genius in the field of biotechnology, Tearju was part of a scientific team that created Yami and also provided her biological makeup, making her technically the latter's mother
. She left the group, however, due to disagreements over treating Yami as a Living Weapon against Deviluke
, and vanishes without a trace. In reality, she was being hunted down by her former clients, until she was found by her university classmate, Dr. Mikado, who convinces her to come to Earth in hopes to help her reconcile with her "daughter". She's currently a substitute teacher at Sainan High.
CLICK HERE FOR HER TRUE FACE
Mea's master and another Living Weapon just like Yami and Mea
- Abhorrent Admirer: Seems to have become this for Rito almost immediately after meeting him in person due to his ability to face plant into her crotch before she could react.
- Ambiguously Brown: She seems to be fairly tan, not really dark.
- Retcon: She was, ironically, lighter during her frames in the shadow.
- Big Bad: The closest one to this series as of now.
- Bi the Way: Just ask Momo.
- Bullying a Dragon: Arguably, with Momo. The moment Yami distracts her Momo nearly takes her head off with a "tail laser" attack that was aimed right at her eye.
- The Corrupter: Seems to have shades of this if her talk about "mental destruction" and turning Rito into a sex slave is anything to go on.
- Evil Is Petty: Her primary reason for going after Rito is because Momo wants him. Nemesis admits that she just loves taking things that other people find precious.
- Fusion Dance: When Nemesis was first created she was physically unstable and merged with her fellow Transform bioweapon Mae.
- Girlish Pigtails: After getting her kimono.
- Going Commando: Wears absolutely ''nothing'' under her dress. Yabuki was only too happy to drug the censors and show us exactly how much nothing she wears.
- Grand Theft Me: Chapter 39 shows that she can usurp Mea's body at any time, with little to no warning. There is also the fact that she can use Mea's ability (hair) to take control of other people's bodies.
- Jekyll & Hyde: The Hyde to Mea's Jekyll.
- Kimono Fanservice: Type B, of the Going Commando Variety.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: She loves to force Rito to do her bidding, and keeps asserting that he's her servant.
- In one of the comedy Yonkoma strips, she walk into a Maid Cafe, is confronted with a bunch of maids calling her "Mistress" and concludes that it's the Best Place Ever.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Her name is Nemesis.
- No Social Skills: Her stated reason for remaining in the shadows.
- Not So Different: From Momo, who finds her very distasteful.
- Power Perversion Potential: Shares this trait with Yami and Mea, but Nemisis literally hits Rito in the face with this by aging herself up and subjecting him to Marshmallow Hell. Momo also notes how "convenient" it is.
- Rapunzel Hair: Like Yami she has long hair, but hers is black.
- Sex Slave: Her plans for Rito.
- Softspoken Sadist: Is very calm in describing... things she want to do to Rito.
- Split Personality Takeover: Nemesis said that Mea was nothing but a split personality Nemesis fabricated to get close to Rito and Yami, and Nemesis pulls off a hijack once Yami's Darkness protocol activates. It's later revealed, however, that Nemesis lied just to push Yami over the edge and that Mea is an actual person. It's just that they fused when they first met as Nemesis was physically unstable and Mea was mentally unstable.
- The Vamp: Probably the most sexual character shown so far. She's far more direct than even Momo and is vastly more depraved.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She manages to impress Momo with her power. Not for long though.
- Unsexy Sadist: So much that even Momo, of all people, almost instantly hated (and tried to kill) her.
- Voice Changeling: Part of her skill set, as seen first in the chapter 29 of Darkness, where she used Rito's voice to get Momo into trouble with Mikan.
Sephie Michaela Deviluke
The queen of Deviluke, mother of Lala, Nana, Momo, and the last member of Charmian race.
- Charm Person: It's in her species' name, after all. Not only does she have the power to bend people to her will with words alone, but any male who looks at her uncovered face will immediately lust after her. Sephie hates the latter ability.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With her husband.
- Cursed with Awesome: Her beautiful appearance and voice allows her to affect the behaviour of other people but apparently if someone would see her uncovered face they would turn into a Beast.
- Compelling Voice: Seems to be capable of this. She manages to persuade the principal to give up on pursuing her without a fight.
- Good Parents: She cares deeply for her daughters, the reason she came to Earth was because she was worried about Lala who turned into a small girl after overusing her power in a fight against Yami.
- Informed Attractiveness: She is described as one of the most beautiful women in the universe. While she is certainly very pretty she doesn't particularly stand out in a cast full of attractive girls and women.
- Interspecies Romance: She is from Charmian race while her husband is a Devilukian.
- Last of Her Kind: She is apparently the last living member of the Charmian race.
- Meaningful Name: The Charmian race is known for it's ability to charm males of any other race.
- Odd Name Out: Unlike her husband or daughters, she is named after an archangel, and not a demon.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She has this effect on males of other species. Any male from any species will fall for her if he sees her face.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Of a sort. She fell in love with Gid because he was the only male to not be affected by her Charmian powers. When Rito also proves to be immune, Sephie surmises that his unshakable will and convictions put him in the same league as her husband. She then tells Rito that she understands why her daughters fell in love with him.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Even says this herself. Not that her power helps.