Tracy Samantha Lord
"You have a good mind, a pretty face, a disciplined body that does what you tell it to. You have everything it takes to make a lovely woman except the one essential: an understanding heart. And without that you might just as well be made of bronze."
- Affectionate Nickname: Dexter generally addresses her as "Red".
- Fiery Redhead: While you technically can't tell (film is in black and white), she is refered to as a redhead by her mother and Dexter, who calls her Red for said reason.
- Gaussian Girl: She is usually depicted through a much hazier lens than the male characters, as was typical to the era.
- Informed Flaw: Her intolerance.
- Rich Bitch: Though it's somewhat toned and she does improve over time.
- Well Done Daughter Girl: Turns out to be one, wishing to win the approval of her father. It's part of her Break the Haughty process.
C. K. Dexter Haven
"I thought all writers drank to excess and beat their wives. You know at one time I think I secretly wanted to be a writer."
- The Alcoholic: Used to have a drinking problem. Is not firmly on the wagon.
- Composite Character: Of himself and Tracy's brother Sandy.
- Informed Flaw: His drunkenness.
- Jerkass Fašade: Can seem pretty mean in his behaviour towards Tracy, but really does care about her.
- Power Trio: Dexter is the ego.
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: One of the rich ones.
- The Teetotaler: Of the recovering alcoholic variety.
Macaulay ("Mike") Connor
Mike: Say, what do you mean, 'snob'?
Tracy: You're the worst kind there is, an intellectual snob. You made up your mind awfully young, it seems to me.
Mike: Well thirty's about time to make up your mind. And I'm nothing of the sort, not Mr. Connor.
- Informed Flaw: His cynicism.
- Jerkass Fašade: As Tracy says, he talks "big and tough" to protect his sensitive, poetic side.
- Power Trio: Mike is the id.
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: The poor one.
- Third-Option Love Interest: In contrast to Tracy's ex-husband and fiancÚ.
Elizabeth ("Liz") Imbrie
"I can't afford to hate anyone; I'm only a photographer."
- Hot Scoop: She's a photographer for a magazine.
- Nice Hat: All female characters get one, but she gets several.
"George. Splendid chap, George. Very high morals. Very broad shoulders."
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Reveals a mean side when he catches Tracy in another man's arms.
- Disposable FiancÚ: It's pretty obvious from the beginning of the movie that Tracy won't end up with him.
- Power Trio: George is the superego.
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: He is one of the wealthier suitors.
- Self-Made Man: Started out as a coal miner and worked his way up to general manager.
Diana (Dinah) Lord
"I can tell there is something in the air because I'm being taken away."