"This has been Never Mind The Buzzcocks, and they said I couldn't polish it."
- Author Appeal: He is a big fan of reggae. When Jimmy Cliff was on the show, Mark kept awarding Phil's team points for "just having Jimmy Cliff in".
- Deadpan Snarker
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Invoked by his "I say I liked it, I tolerated it - I say I tolerated it..." routine.
- Farm Boy: Often portrayed as this in earlier series and tie-in books due to being from Swindon, occasionally putting on an exaggerated "oo ar me deario" voice and claiming it's his "natural" accent.
- Important Haircut: His original 'Fifties Throwback' quiff was cut off as a charity stunt in between series.
- Jerkass: Deadpan Snarker extraordinaire to the point of obnoxiousness. In all fairness, some of this is somewhat justified due to the arrogant and/or irritating nature of some of the guests.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Notable when a guest he particularly liked appeared on the show, such as Jimmy Cliff and Faye Tozer.
"Need room to work? Shouldn't be on TV with me then, sweetheart."
"Well, I'm getting it from all sides now!"
- Deadpan Snarker: Helped by his monotone southern Irish accent.
- The Quiet One: When he left the show, Mark commemorated him with a montage of 'his contributions to the show', which consisted of clips of Sean's other team members answering questions while Sean sat quietly in the background.
"The last time I was on, you called me a Klingon nonce!"
"I'm Simon Amstell — and if you think I'm a poor booking, let's meet tonight's guests!"
"I'm loving this show this week, 'cause I'm usually the weird one."