Played by: Zach GalliganThe Hero
of the films, a young cartoonist who works in Kinston Falls' bank. Receiving Gizmo as a pet from his dad, Billy quickly learns to appreciate the Schmuck Bait
for caring for him. Things quickly go topsy turvy as the Gremlins rampage through the town with Billy being the only person dealing with the chaos. In the sequel, he works at Daniel Clamp's business tower in New York as a concept artist.
Played by: Phoebe Cates
Billy's love interest. She works at the bank with Billy, but also part-time at a bar which is invaded by the Gremlins for a wild night out. In the sequel, she has married Billy and works as a tour guide in Daniel Clamp's business tower.
Randall "Rand" Peltzer
Played by: Hoyt Haxton
Billy's father. An intelligent, yet Bungling Inventor
. He makes good gadgets but they usually break down a week or two after he finishes them. He buys Gizmo as a pet for Billy.
Played by: Frances Lee McCain
Billy's mother and Randall's wife. While usually a kind housewife, Lynn goes badass when she realises the Gremlins are loose in house and manages to kill three of them when they invade her kitchen.
A Ridiculously Cute Critter
, Gizmo is a friendly Mogwai who Rand buys from Mr. Wing (or his nephew) to give to Billy as a pet. Completely good and friendly, Gizmo is accidentally made wet and spawns a batch of Gremlins leading to the chaos around Kingston Falls.
Stripe / Mohawk
Defacto leader of the Gremlins, Stripe is a sadistic, maniacal monster who enjoys carnage and torturing Gizmo. He is killed thanks to Gizmo, but comes Back from the Dead
in Gremlins 2
as Mohawk, and downs a chemical that turns him into a half Gremlin, half spider monster, but is killed by Gizmo for the last time.
- Always Chaotic Evil
- Back from the Dead
- Big Bad: Stripe was this. Mohawk is more a lone wolf, though still the most sadistic and evil of the Gremlins and one of the most prominent and dangerous.
- Catch Phrase: Gizmo, ca-ca!
- '80s Hair: A tuft of white hair in the first film, and a mohawk in the second, hence his names.
- Evil Counterpart: To Gizmo.
- Evil Laugh
- Explosive Breeder
- Family-Unfriendly Death: In both films.
- Faux Affably Evil
- For the Evulz
- Frank Welker
- Genetic Memory: Clearly remembers Gizmo when he comes back from the grave.
- Giant Spider
- I'm Melting
- Hybrid Monster
- Kick the Dog: Oh, and he enjoys doing this to Gizmo and Billy.
- Knight of Cerebus
- Kill It with Fire / You Have to Burn the Web
- Laughing Mad
- Metamorphosis Monster: Him and the rest of the Gremlins.
- Non-Standard Character Design: His white tuft of hair in the first fim distinguishes him from the other gremlins.In the sequel,as a mogwai,he has his tuft of hair,black spots on his fur and sharp teeth.As a gremlin,he has a lionfish-like fin across his back,a wattle and his skin and overall appereance are much more scaly and reptilian.
- Out of Focus: Becomes this in the second film, which shows brief intercuts of him torturing Gizmo and then randomly runs off to shoot at Billy.
- One-Winged Angel: Twice:First,his transformation from Mogwai to Gremlin in both films and his mutant spider-hybrid form
- Spikesof Villainy: As Mohawk.
- The Sociopath
- Transformation Trauma: Stripe spawning more Gremlins whilst dying in the first film is pretty grose.
- Vile Villain, Saccharine Show
- Villain Decay: Stripe was truly evil and fiendish,and wanted to take over the whole town of Kingston Falls with his gremlin army.He was also much more intelligent.Mohawk,on the other hand,while much more fiendish and wicked when it comes to torture Gizmo,is not as intelligent as his original self and is more focused on creating chaos and havoc on his own,acting as a lone wolf.He also doesn't seem interested in leading the other Gremlins too.
- Weakened by the Light
A mysterious Asian Store Owner
who is the owner of Gizmo. Likely from experience, he believes Mogwai must be carefully looked after and that the western world is not ready for such a responsibility.
Billy's neighbour, Murray Futterman often is seen Griping About Gremlins
and is very proud of his snowplough. He and his wife are attacked by Gremlins when they steal his snowplough. they reappear in Gremlins 2
as New York tourists.
Mrs. Ruby Deagle
Played by: Polly Holliday
Before the Gremlins rip apart Kingston Falls, Mrs. Deagle ruled the roost. A wicked old devil woman, Mrs. Deagle is a Rich Bitch
willing to bring misery to everyone in town as long as she gets her money.
She particularly has a grudge against the Peltzers.
Kingston Falls Citizens
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
An eccentric corporate manager who works in New York. He runs a completely automatically-powered skyscraper, hates black and white films, and wants to make the world a better place through good-intentioned projects.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Subverted. Early on, Clamp is portrayed as being this from the views of other characters but when he shows up he turns out to be a nice, easygoing guy who is easily inspired and quickly befriends most of the people he meets.
- Crazy-Prepared: Clamp has a video ready to play on his cable network in case the end of the world comes, inspired by a video Joe Dante found whilst visiting CNN.
- Eccentric Millionaire
- Nice Guy: A rich nutcase, yes; but a rich nutcase who wants to make the world a kinder and gentler place.
- Nice to the Waiter: He's polite and respectful to everyone he meets.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: A mixture of Donald Trump and Ted Turner.
- Playing Against Type: John Glover is best known for playing villains and changed Clamp to more friendly because he disliked being exclusively cast as bad guys.
- Spoiled Sweet: Rare adult example.
- Took a Level in Badass: He is the first to charge in the building guns blazing prepared to fight the Gremlins. Unfortunately, he and the rest of The Cavalry Arrives Late. The thought counts though.
Daniel Clamp's assitant.
Dr. Cushing Catheter
- All There in the Manual: His first name is given in the novelization by David Bischoff. That said, his name tag in the film reads "K. Catheter."
- Mad Scientist
- Shout-Out: His first name is definitely Bischoff's shout out to Christopher Lee's old acting buddy Peter Cushing.
A brown Gremlin who was merely part of the horde,he drank a brain hormones serum which greatly increased his intelligence and made him able to talk,thus making him the new leader,and the new Big Bad
and True Final Boss
of the second movie
- Big Bad: Of the second movie.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Seriously believes the only difference between Broadway musicals and street crime is that the latter can be watched for free.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He answers that civilization is the answer, explaining that the gremlins are vicious monsters that are primitive and violent because they're not civilized, and shows an example of a gremlin who is annoying and acts crazy next to him, which he later kills with a gun.
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- It Amused Me: Like most Gremlins who are not Stripe / Mohawk, he is more amoral and michevious than sadistic and while he thinks shooting another Gremlin is "darn good fun", he doesn't think there is anything wrong with it (other than it being "uncivilised").
- Lawful Evil
- Mook Promotion
- Smart Gremlins Wear Glasses: After he drinks the brain hormone and goes through his convulsions, a pair of glasses inexplicably appear on his face.
- Wicked Cultured
- True Final Boss
A light green Gremlin that is extremely hyperactive in the manner of the older versions of Daffy Duck
A extremely grouchy-looking Gremlin that is often accompanied with his fellow Gremlin Lenny.
- All There in the Script: His name is revealed in official merchandise.
- Cigar Chomper: When he becomes a Gremlin, he is often seen smoking a cigar.
- Explosive Breeder: When he gets wet in the cooking show set, he provides the template for the darker green colored Gremlins in the second movie.
- Non-Standard Character Design: He,Daffy and Lenny are much more cartoony than the other gremlins.
- The Stoic: He is not as crazy as the other Gremlins.
- Only Sane Gremlin: When grouped together with Daffy and Lenny, he is the only sane one among the three.
- Shout-Out: His face is modeled after Edward G. Robinson. His name and behavior are a reference to George from Of Mice and Men.
- Those Two Gremlins: With Lenny.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Apart from some Freeze-Frame Bonus scenes with him in the background with the other Gremlins in the latter part of the movie, it isn't shown if he died via electrocution along with the other Gremlins. A deleted scene however shows that he indeed died along with the rest.
A buck-toothed Gremlin that is often accompanied with his fellow Gremlin George.
A Gremlin who drank a serum that changed her gender and turned her female.She is the only surviving gremlin after all of them were killed in the climax.