Commander Miran Trescu
"I don't ask you to forgive, and I don't ask you to forget. But I demand you focus on what will save our lives. We have a new war coming. You don't need to resurrect another old one."Leader of the remaining population of the Republic of Gorasnaya, Trescu led his people in joining the COG on the island of Vectes after the sinking of Jacinto, and quickly rose to a position of power alongside Hoffman and Michaelson, working with them to try and deal with Prescott's obstructiveness.
- A Father to His Men
- Anti-Hero: A mix of Type IV and V.
- Asskicking Equals Authority
- Badass Beard: Refer to your right.
- Berserk Button: When he's talking down a disobedient Gorasni, the man makes the mistake of bringing up Trescu's father. Trescu rebukes him, and tells him that his father would have killed him for sheer entertainment.
- Canon Immigrant: Has a vocal cameo in the finale of Gears of War 3.
- The Cavalry: Arrives with a Gorasni ship and reinforcements at Azura to assist the COG for the assault on the island in Gears of War 3.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Is very willing to do this to get the information he needs, though his methods tend to be more of a psychological nature than a physical one, at least until he shoots one of the subjects to get the others to talk.
- Commanding Coolness
- Exalted Torturer: Played with. He and his men (along with half the COG) have no problem with torturing Stranded Insurgents, while the other half views it as crossing the line.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Hope Bringer: His mere presence is enough to inspire the Gorasni to fight to the death.
- Knight Templar
- My People Doth Protest Too Much: He spends a majority of his time maintaining what's left of the Gorasni. A lot of them hate his decision to side with the COG and others want to go back to Gorasnaya so they can at least die on familiar soil. He doesn't care; he's just trying to keep them alive.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: He's pretty brutal when it comes to dealing with Stranded.
- "I did you a favor. I knew you would be torn. The COG took away your natural sense of justice and replaced it with a rule book to deal with people who respect no rules. What are two more executions to the Gorasnaya? Retribution. What are two more to you? A dilemma you cannot handle."
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Shoot the Dog: Executes two captured Stranded Insurgents, a father and his 14 year-old son, after the Stranded Insurgency ends, reasoning that Hoffman couldn't kill them himself, but he couldn't let them live because they killed several Gears.
- The Spock: Conveniently looks like Evil Spock to boot.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Eventually reaches this position with Hoffman.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Promised his father on his deathbed that Gorasnaya would outlast the COG. When the Gorasni are down to a few thousand people, he decides that keeping them alive is more important than familial honor and joins forces with his former enemies. Lampshaded by Hoffman in Coalition's End, when the COG officially disbands; he gives Trescu a newly-made Gorasnayan flag and says that Trescu kept his promise to his father.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Before Emergence Day, Gorasnaya had ten million citizens. When they join up with the COG, 15 years later, there's only 4000 of them left. Trescu stopped being nice a long time ago.
Senior Warrant Officer Teodor "Teo" MariscTrescu's second-in-command and chief advisor.
Helmsman Yanik Laas
"You look at me like I am a grub. Like I kill for no reason. One day, Blondie-Baird, I will tell you what the garayaz did to us at Chalitz, and you will see things another way. We are the last Gorasni. The last."A Gorasni sailor who befriended Baird and Donneld Mathieson and developed an intimate attraction to Sam. Also one of Trescu's top lieutenants.
- Badass Mustache: Again, look to your right.
- Blood Knight: When he and Baird were fighting the aforementioned Polyps, he claims that the Polyps would have made good sport in Gorasnaya. This also doubles as a Badass Boast since he's fighting them in nothing but his sweater.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Inverted. He repeatably boasts that several Gorasni could outmatch a greater force of Gears, and in-turn more Stranded.
- "Bah, you are all girls! Whole army of you equals two poor Gorani peasants!"
- Deadpan Snarker: Becomes one whenever Sam threatens him for looking at her.
- Good Is Not Nice: "Enemies do not respect you for doing right. They think you a weak fool, and then they kill you."
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: His In-Series Nickname is "The Disemboweler".
- "They call you Blondie, yes? Because you're blond. Well, they call me Yanik. Because if you mess with my ship, I'll yanik your intestines out."