TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Characters: Detective Conan Major Recurring Characters
open/close all folders
Conan and the Detective Boys' class teacher who later appoints herself as their "manager" when they're out solving cases.She later becomes Inspector Shiratori's girlfriend on account of him remembering that she was the girl he had helped in the past and not the physically similar Satou whom he had been chasing after originally.
- Adorkable: Mostly when she acts as the "manager" of the Detective Boys or when she's with her boyfriend, Shiratori.
- Beware the Nice Ones: A rare emotional example. When she thought that Shiratori was only with her because of her strong resemblance to Detective Satou, she remained cold and distance towards him.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Shiratori.
- Cool Teacher: After her first episode.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Her "after" appearance has her with matching blue hair and blue eyes.
- Fangirl: Of Ranpo Edogawa
- First Girl After All: She was the girl that Shiratori has loved ever since childhood. Not Satou.
- Friend to All Children: Even with her Sadist Teacher act, she was only doing it for the children's sake.
- Friend to All Living Things: During her Sadist Teacher act, Kobayashi took care of the plants and fish. Ayumi once caught her doing so.
- Hidden Depths: A retroactive example. In Shiratori's flashback to when he first met Kobayashi-sensei, notice how Kobayashi-sensei is acting more assertive when she catches the two grown up thieves.
- Hot Teacher: More of a cute one, though.
- Identical Stranger: Without her glasses, Kobayashi looks a LOT like Detective Satou. Which troubles her when Shiratori shows interest in her, as she believes at first he only likes her because of her physical similarity to her. (Not to mention, the reason why Shiratori mistook Sato as the girl he liked was because of her looks.
- Nice Woman: One of the friendliest people you'll meet in the series.
- Official Couple: With Shiratori.
- Otaku: Of mystery novels.
- Pet the Dog: Even when she was making herself pass as a Sadist Teacher, Kobayashi couldn't fully hide her kind nature, thus she watered the plants and fed the pet fishes in secret.
- Rescue Romance: With Shiratori, since she was the girl he rescued and admired long time ago.
- Sadist Teacher/Tough Love: Her Jerk Ass Facade. For the reason, see the Shrinking Violet section.
- Shrinking Violet: After some really bad experiences in her former workplace, Kobayashi was so terrified of doing badly in parent meetings that she used to practice in the empty school at night with dolls. The Detective Kids thought she was a witch, though. (And Conan thought she was planning to kill someone else!).
- Tsundere: Type B. See her Beware the Nice Ones section.
Dr. Tomoaki Araide
Dr. Tomoaki Araide
The handsome son of Kogoro's doctor, with the bad luck of being introduced in the case where his dad was murdered.
After that, he's been seen around more than once, acting nice to almost everyone and being a possible Romantic Runner-Up
.Later on, it's discovered that the Black Organization member, Vermouth, had been using his image as a cover during her manhunt for Ai Haibara.
- The Average-looking Doctor's Hot Son: His dad wasn't a Gonk, but it's clear that the younger Araide didn't inherit his looks.
- Gambit Pileup: In the middle of two of these. See the main page for more details.
- Hospital Hottie
- Kind Heartedcat Lover
- Nice Guy: Even veering into a male Ingenue of sorts, since he's way too gullible sometimes.
- Romantic False Lead: Was presented as one, thought he's much nicer than the standard. And Ran was more interested in his sweater.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Sorry, dude. You're nice and all, we all know it... but you're just not Shinichi. He doesn't win even in the Stranger from Ten Years Later OAV, no matter if it's canon or not.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Sympathy for the Devil: When he returns to his normal life after Vermouth tried to kill him and took over his identity for a while, most people don't notice a difference and comment on what a good person he is. This causes him to wonder whether his impostor is really evil.
A New Transfer Student
to Sonoko and Ran's class who has a somewhat weak health and comes off to be extremely clumsy. He came to Japan to find his sister's whereabouts, that sister being Hidemi Hondou of the CIA, aka, Kir of the Black Organization.
He returned home shortly after the discovery, but not before telling Conan that he knew of his true identity, and that he had developed feelings for Ran.Mandatory naming note
: "Hondou" comes from Bondo (ボンド), the Japanese pronounciation of (James) Bond
, Eisuke from mystery writer Eisuke Kaito.
- Big Sister Worship: To Hidemi. As seen in their flashback, Hidemi has saved Eisuke's life several times, includes giving a large portion of blood donation to him, which later becomes one of plot points that Rena Mizunashi is really Eisuke's sister, Hidemi.
- Butt Monkey
- Cute Clumsy Girl: A Rare Male Example
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: And how— go back above and check Kobayashi-sensei's picture, and he looks 80% like her.
- Ill Boy: He had leukemia when he was a child, and he got better due to his older sister Hidemi's bone marrow donation. This is a plot point as his blood type changed because of it: he used to be a O, but now he and Hidemi/Rena are AB.
- All story arcs related to him happened in hospitals. Even when he's not the one admitted.
- Kansai Regional Accent: He was born and raised in Osaka
- Love at First Sight: Tells Conan that he fell in love with Ran the first time he met her.
- Love Triangle: Invoked and subverted. In front of Conan, Eisuke claims to have fallen in love with Ran and that he wants to take her to America with him. When Conan/Shinichi reacts strongly, he takes it as the hint he needed to guess his secret identity, and then both promises to be one of his Secret Keepers and asks him to protect her in his stead.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: with his older sister Hidemi. Hidemi / Rena is Action Girl, The Mole, a CIA agent who infiltrate Black Organization. Eisuke is cute clumsy Dude Looks Like a Lady.
- Meganekko: Rare Male Example; he has such a high moe quotient and girlish looks that he could easily pass as a female example.
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Guy
- Secret Keeper: One of the few people who actually guessed Conan's secret identity correctly, and by himself. This probably put his intelligence on par with Heiji!
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Eisuke was able to guess that Conan is Shinichi Kudo simply by looking at him and then pretend he was going to take Ran to America with him, so he could get a response from him. It worked!
- Strong Family Resemblance: With his older sister, Hidemi Hondou aka Rena Mizunashi aka Kir. Unknowingly lampshaded by Ran, who notices it.
A rather peculiar New Transfer Student
to Ran and Sonoko's class. Like Shinichi and Heiji, she is a high-school detective. She moved from the United States to Japan to find out what happened to her brother, Shuuichi Akai, after getting word of his supposed death.
Tooru Amuro/Rei Furuya
A Private Detective
who first appeared posing as a waiter while helping a client with a case. He currently works at Café Poirot, and has become Kogoro's apprentice.He is, in fact, Bourbon of the Black Organization, and is shown to be one of the few operatives Vermouth is willing to work with.
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Homage: to Amuro. complete with white RX-7 which is Shout-Out to RX-78-2. And with the same seiyuu, to boot.
- His real name comes from both the character and seiyuu as well.
- The Reveal: When he announces his Bourbon codename in front of a normally sized Shiho Miyano (Kaito Kid in disguise) during the Mystery Train arc.
- Much later, it also turns out that he's actually a mole infiltrating the Black Organization. Although all that's known about his actual allegiance is that it's not the FBI, which he has some disdain for.
- Sherlock Scan: Here
- Shout-Out: His name, Amuro.
- Master of Disguise: As Scar Akai. Apparently he had some help from Vermouth for that.
- The Mole: He is Bourbon. And the fake Akai that was around for a while.
- Mysterious Past: Previously attended the police academy and was a friend of Takagi's deceased superior, Wataru Date. Becomes even more mysterious after one wonders how someone from the police academy became a member of the Black Organization, or if he was already a member of the Organization before applying to the academy.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In order to further infiltrate the Organization's inner circle, he planned to run over an elementary school teacher and hand over Shuuichi Akai to them. Akai calls him out on this, reminding him not to forget their true targets.
- Wham Line : During the Mystery Train arc. "Bourbon... that's my codename!"