open/close all folders
She later becomes Inspector Shiratori's girlfriend on account of him remembering that she was the girl he had helped in the past and not the physically similar Sato, whom he had been chasing after originally.
- Adorkable: Mostly when she acts as the "manager" of the Detective Boys or when she's with her boyfriend, Shiratori, who slips into borderline adorkable status around her.
- Beware the Nice Ones: A rare emotional example. When she thought that Shiratori was only with her because of her strong resemblance to Detective Satou, she remained cold and took quite the distance towards him until she remembered him as the boy who helped her.
- Even before that there's her whole Sadist Teacher act, which worked so well that only the kids stepping into her rehearsals could undo it.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Shiratori. It's also rather curiously played with: They met as children, yes, but unlike the other "childhood couples" they didn't know each other's names and lost sight of each other for decades after their chance encounter. When they met again, adulthood and time had changed them throughly (Shiratori was quite more prideful, Kobayashi was more shy and quiet), he had chased after another woman for a long time believing that she was Kobayashi, and she couldn't remember him. He still recognized her as the "destiny girl" upon laying his sight on her, she later recalled him, and then they got together.
- Cool Teacher: After her first episode.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Her "after" appearance has her with matching black-blue hair and blue eyes, rather than her original light brown hair/black eyes looks.
- Fangirl: Of Ranpo Edogawa.
- Flower Motifs: Sakura. Which turn out to be a huge hint that she was Shiratori's true love from childhood.Kobayashi: "Because the sakura is the symbol of police officers! Determined, kind, and dignified. It's a flower of justice!"
- Friend to All Children: Even with her Sadist Teacher act, she was only doing it for the children's sake. After she drops it, she plays the trope completely straight and all the kids adore her.
- Friend to All Living Things: During her Sadist Teacher act, Kobayashi took care of the plants and fish in secret. Ayumi once caught her doing so.
- Girly Girl: Towards Sato's tomboy. Rather eagerly lampshaded by Yumi when they meet and she mistakes her for Sato, then is surprised by "Miwako"'s meekness.
- Hidden Depths: A retroactive example. In Shiratori's flashback to when he first met Kobayashi-sensei, notice how she is acting more assertive when she catches the two grown up thieves.
- Hot Teacher: More of a cute one, though.
- Identical Stranger: Without her glasses, Kobayashi looks a LOT like Detective Sato. Which troubles her when Shiratori shows interest in her, as she believes at first he only likes her because of her physical similarity to Sato. (Not to mention, the reason why Shiratori mistook Sato as the girl he liked was because of her looks.)
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Subverted: She was this to Shiratori, but only when they were children. When they meet again as adults and properly get together, she has grown into a more shy and thoughtful person. Nevertheless, Shiratori loves her just the way she is.
- Meganekko: A rare adult version.
- Morality Pet: Downplayed. While Shiratori is far from evil or a being a straight up jerk, it's all but stated that she brings out the best in him.
- Nice Girl: One of the friendliest people you'll meet in the series.
- Official Couple: With Shiratori.
- Otaku: Of mystery novels.
- Pet the Dog: Even when she was making herself pass as a Sadist Teacher, Kobayashi couldn't fully hide her kind nature, thus she watered the plants and fed the pet fishes in secret.
- Rescue Romance: With Shiratori, since she was the girl he rescued and admired long time ago.
- Sadist Teacher: Her Jerk Ass Facade. For the reason, see the Shrinking Violet section.
- Sensei chan: Downplayed. She only shows traits of the trope when she tries to be the manager of the Detective Kids, but otherwise she's pretty competent and serious in her job and her students love her to boot. And since she has a boyfriend, there's nothing to worry in regards to the Christmas Cake part.
- Shrinking Violet: After some really bad experiences in her former workplace, poor Kobayashi was so terrified of doing badly in parent meetings that she used to practice in the empty school at night with dolls. The Detective Kids thought she was a witch, though. (And Conan thought she was planning to kill someone else!).
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She was at first attracted to Shiratori for his gentlemanly and protective behavior, but what made her actually fall in love with the guy was seeing him deal a "The Reason You Suck" Speech to the guy who tried to silence her, which lets her remember how he protected her as children in a very similar way and dispelled the belief that he was using her to forget about Sato.
- Through His Stomach: Once she and Shiratori get together, she begins making bento lunch boxes for him.
- Tsundere: Type B. See her Beware the Nice Ones section.
Dr. Tomoaki Araide
Voiced by Hideyuki Hori (JP)The handsome son of Kogoro's doctor, with the bad luck of being introduced in the case where his dad was murdered. After that, he's been seen around more than once, acting nice to almost everyone and being a possible Romantic Runner-Up.Later on, it's discovered that the Black Organization member, Vermouth, had been using his image as a cover during her manhunt for Ai Haibara.
- Gambit Pileup: In the middle of two of these. See the main page for more details.
- Hospital Hottie: Just look at him!
- Kind Heartedcat Lover
- Megane: The glasses he wears highlight his physical beauty.
- Nice Guy: Even veering into a male Ingenue of sorts, since he's way too gullible sometimes.
- Romantic False Lead: Was presented as one, thought he's much nicer than the standard. And Ran was more interested in his sweater.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Sorry, dude. You're nice and all, we all know it... but you're just not Shinichi. He doesn't win even in the Stranger from Ten Years Later OAV, no matter if it's canon or not.
- Sympathy for the Devil: When he returns to his normal life after Vermouth tried to kill him and took over his identity for a while, most people don't notice a difference and comment on what a good person he is. This causes him to wonder whether his impostor is really evil.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Not as "dark" as others, but pretty tall and very beautiful.
Voiced by Miyuki Ichijou (JP)Ran and Sonoko's English teacher, an American young woman who's very pretty and friendly.She was believed to be the Black Organization's Vermouth, but is actually an FBI agent named Jodie Starling looking into its whereabouts; unaware that the real Vermouth has been using her image as a disguise to hunt for Ai Haibara.After her FBI status is revealed, she resigns from her teaching job and is seen taking part in cases; most of which involve the Black Organization.Mandatory Naming Note: Jodie Foster as Clarice Starling.
- Absolute Cleavage: In the episode that Heiji met Jodie for the first time.
- Anime Accent Absence
- Badass Driver: Despite her recklessness, Jodie has pulled amazing feats when driving.
- Berserk Button: Whatever you do, DON'T mention Vermouth in front of her.
- Broken Bird: Her parents are killed when she was still very little, and that completely marked her life.
- Catch Phrase: "A secret makes a woman woman."
- Demoted to Extra: She appeared A LOT more as Ran and Sonoko's teacher compared to her later appearances as an FBI agent. And that doesn't even count the times Vermouth was impersonating her.
- Drives Like Crazy: According to Akai, Jodie has no driving skills.
- Edible Theme Naming: To give the Red Herring that she is related to the Dark Organization, her last name came from the famous wine-producing region Saint-Émilion.
- Foreign Fanservice: Aside from suggestive outfit, she's quite flirty.
- Funny Foreigner: Invoked by Jodie during her initial appearances to make people put their guards down when facing her.
- Hot Teacher: She is an English teacher.
- Like a Daughter to Me: Seems to have this relationship with James Black, because her father is his fellow FBI partner.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: She was named after both Clarice Starling, one of the main protagonists in Silence of the Lambs, and actress Jodie Foster who performed Starling's role in the movie adaptation of the same name.
- Red Herring: Was a very obvious suspect for being Vermouth for a long time. A blonde American woman with suspicious skills investigating at Conan's school, she even used Vermouth's famous Catch Phrase, "A secret makes a woman woman". Turns out she's an FBI agent looking for Vermouth who has picked the phrase up from her enemy.
- Secret Keeper: Quoting Vermouth: "Secret makes a woman woman."
- Walking Spoiler: The Reveal that Jodie is an FBI Agent is almost impossible to cover up without giving away too much.
- Witness Protection: She was in one after seeing her parents killed by Sharon.
- You Killed My Father: Vermouth killed her parents.
Voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi (JP)A popular TV reporter. She is actually Kir of the Black Organization, but is then revealed to be Hidemi Hondou, a CIA spy having infiltrated the organization.Mandatory Naming Note: See Meaningful Name, below.
- Big Sister Instinct: To Eisuke, especially seen in their flashback. She also has this shade to a boy who stalk her because she resembles his dead mother.
- Broken Bird: Her father forced her to kill him to hide her true identity, then she had to shoot down one of her friends to "prove herself"..
- Foreshadowing: One of the openings shows her among a group of characters that are allies to Conan, hinting at her true allegiance.
- Intrepid Reporter: Actually, an Action Girl and The Mole.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: with her young brother, Eisuke. Rena is an Action Girl, The Mole, a CIA agent who infiltrate Black Organization. Her little brother is cute clumsy Dude Looks Like a Lady.
- Meaningful Name: 007how? .
- Reverse Mole: She is actually a CIA agent.
- Self-Made Orphan: Very tragic case, since it was less about hate and more about having to...
- Shoot Your Mate: She shot her father to hide the fact that they were CIA moles infiltrating the Dark Organization.
- And again, she has to do this to Akai. Per orders of That Man himself. Somehow, however, he survives.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Eisuke and Hidemi look a LOT like each other, and said similar looks tip off Conan about their familiar bond. She also looks a LOT like her mother◊ with the exception of their hair color.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She acts cold and efficient when with the Organization, but her kind nature often shines through. Hence why Gin and That Man don't always trust her.
- In the manga, she looks far less malicious than she was in the anime, though. Thus most readers don't have difficult times to guess that she's in the good side all along.
Voiced by Junko Noda (JP)A New Transfer Student to Sonoko and Ran's class who has a somewhat weak health and comes off to be extremely clumsy. He came to Japan to find his sister's whereabouts, that sister being Hidemi Hondou of the CIA, aka, Kir of the Black Organization. He returned home shortly after the discovery, but not before telling Conan that he knew of his true identity, and that he had developed feelings for Ran.Mandatory naming note: "Hondou" comes from Bondo (ボンド), the Japanese pronounciation of (James) Bond, Eisuke from mystery writer Eisuke Kaito.
- Big Sister Worship: To Hidemi. As seen in their flashback, Hidemi has saved Eisuke's life several times, includes giving a large portion of blood donation to him, which later becomes one of plot points that Rena Mizunashi is really Eisuke's sister, Hidemi.
- Butt Monkey: Always falling on his face.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: A Rare Male Example.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: And how— go back above and check Kobayashi-sensei's picture, and he looks 80% like her.
- Hidden Depths: Eisuke figuring out Conan's real identity as Shinichi Kudo proves his intelligence is on par with Shinichi/Conan and/or Heiji Hattori.
- Hopeless Suitor: His talk of bringing Ran to America with him may have been a bluff but he seems to recognize that it wouldn't have worked even if he had been serious about it.
- Ill Boy: He had leukemia when he was a child, and he got better due to his older sister Hidemi's bone marrow donation. This is a plot point as his blood type changed because of it: he used to be a O, but now he and Hidemi/Rena are AB. All story arcs related to him happened in hospitals. Even when he's not the one admitted.
- Kansai Regional Accent: He was born and raised in Osaka
- Love at First Sight: Tells Conan that he fell in love with Ran the first time he met her.
- Love Triangle: Invoked and subverted. In front of Conan, Eisuke claims to have fallen in love with Ran and that he wants to take her to America with him. When Conan/Shinichi reacts strongly, he takes it as the hint he needed to guess his secret identity, and then both promises to be one of his Secret Keepers and asks him to protect her in his stead.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: with his older sister Hidemi. Hidemi / Rena is Action Girl, The Mole, a CIA agent who infiltrate Black Organization. Eisuke is cute clumsy Dude Looks Like a Lady.
- Megane: Though he has such a high moe quotient and girlish looks that he could easily pass as a female example.
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Guy: He's polite, kind, and sensitive.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Though he is clumsy by nature, more than one of his blunders weren't that casual.
- Secret Keeper: One of the few people who actually guessed Conan's secret identity correctly, and by himself. This probably put his intelligence on par with Heiji!
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Eisuke was able to guess that Conan is Shinichi Kudo simply by looking at him and then pretend he was going to take Ran to America with him, so he could get a response from him. It worked!
- Strong Family Resemblance: With his older sister, Hidemi Hondou aka Rena Mizunashi aka Kir. Unknowingly lampshaded by Ran, who notices how the New Transfer Student looks a lot like Rena Mizuhashi herself...
Voiced by Noriko Hidaka (JP)A rather peculiar New Transfer Student to Ran and Sonoko's class. Like Shinichi and Heiji, she is a high-school detective. She moved from the United States to Japan to find out what happened to her brother, Shuuichi Akai, after getting word of his supposed death.Mandatory Naming Note: Her name comes from Mobile Suit Gundam's Sayla Mass. The family connections are not coincidental.
- A-Cup Angst: "They're due to pop out every day now!", and then she mentions that her mother seems to have quite large breasts so hers will become this too.
- Action Girl: Jeet Kune Do practitioner.
- Amateur Sleuth: Another high-school age detective.
- Ambiguously Bi: Maybe, she did tease Ran and Sonoko by saying Ran's just her type and has had qute a bit of Les Yay with her.
- Badass Biker: Uses a motorcycle most of time, and once used it to smack a criminal about to kill Conan.
- Bifauxnen: She's an Amateur Sleuth who at first is mistaken as a Troubled, but Cute guy until she shows up in Ran and Sonoko's class wearing the school's female uniform. In-story she's mostly seen as a tomboyish Biker Babe, and at least one of her friends (Sonoko) has found her pretty in a boyish way. Though in one case, Kaitou Kid mugs her for her clothes after mistaking her for a teenage boy.
- Catch Phrase: Sera's catchphrase upon the conclusion of a case is "case closed".
- Expy: Of another Conan character, Natsuki Koshimizu.
- Fangirl: When she was young she liked to read the "Night Baron" series, so she is fan of Yusaku Kudo.
- Fedora of Asskicking: Almost always seen wearing a fedora and utilizes her motorcycle to capture criminals. Plus, she's a Jeet Kune Do expert.
- Green Eyes
- Messy Hair: Part of her Bifauxnen appearance.
- Nice Girl: Sera has a cheery, sociable, boyish personality and is well liked by her classmates at Teitan High.
- Nice Hat: Has a number of Fedoras.
- Panty Shot: While bringing down someone◊.
- Plucky Girl: Masumi is a biker babe bifauxnen who does her best to help her friends and look for her missing older brother.
- Running Gag: About the above, people being unsure if she's a girl or a boy.
- Samus Is a Girl: On Ran, Conan and Sonoko.
- She's Got Legs: See Panty Shot.
- Shipper on Deck: She teases Ran about her and Shinichi's relationship and even calls her Shinichi's girlfriend.
- Shotacon: Sonoko thinks that this is why she's so fond of Conan.
- Spirited Competitor: In some degree, she seems to like rivalry or contests to see who is the winner.
- Strong Family Resemblance: As of Chapter 822, she's been revealed to be Shuuichi Akai's younger sister. Lampshaded by the fact that Conan mentions that she looks like someone he knows when they first met.
- Tomboy: When she said she was going to dress more girlishly for an Iron Chef-style show's taping she meant she'd be wearing girly panties.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Masumi is quite quick-minded, coming up with clever plans and adapting them to sudden changes rapidly.
Voiced by Toru Furuya (JP)A Private Detective who first appeared posing as a waiter while helping a client with a case. He currently works at Café Poirot, and has become Kogoro's apprentice.He is, in fact, Bourbon of the Black Organization, and is shown to be one of the few operatives Vermouth is willing to work with. He is THEN revealed to actually be Rei Furuya, a member of the Japanese secret police having infiltrated the Black Organization.
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Homage: to Amuro. complete with white RX-7 which is Shout-Out to RX-78-2. And with the same seiyuu, to boot. His real name comes from both the character and seiyuu as well.
- Inter Generational Friendship: He's implied to have had one with none other than Elena "Hell's Angel" Miyano.
- Sherlock Scan: Here is a perfect example.
- Shout-Out: His name, Amuro.
- Master of Disguise: As Scar Akai. Apparently he had some help from Vermouth for that.
- The Mole: He is Bourbon. And the fake Akai that was around for a while.
- Mysterious Past: Previously attended the police academy and was a friend of Takagi's deceased superior, Wataru Date. Becomes even more mysterious after one wonders how someone from the police academy became a member of the Black Organization, or if he was already a member of the Organization before applying to the academy.
- The Reveal: When he announces his Bourbon codename in front of a normally sized Shiho Miyano (Kaito Kid in disguise) during the Mystery Train arc.
- Much later, it also turns out that he's actually a mole infiltrating the Black Organization. His actual allegiance is that it's not the FBI, which he has some disdain for; he seems to be working for the Japanese Secret Police instead.
- Reverse Mole: Yet another spy in the Black Organization.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In order to further infiltrate the Organization's inner circle, he planned to run over an elementary school teacher and hand over Shuuichi Akai to them. Akai calls him out on this, reminding him not to forget their true targets.
- Wham Line: During the Mystery Train arc. "Bourbon... that's my codename!"