Characters: Detective Conan Major Recurring Characters
open/close all folders
Conan and the Detective Boys' class teacherm who later appoints herself as their "manager" when they're out solving cases.She later becomes Inspector Shiratori's girlfriend on account of him remembering that she was the girl he had helped in the past and not the physically similar Sato, whom he had been chasing after originally.
Dr. Tomoaki Araide
Dr. Tomoaki Araide
The handsome son of Kogoro's doctor, with the bad luck of being introduced in the case where his dad was murdered.
After that, he's been seen around more than once, acting nice to almost everyone and being a possible Romantic Runner-Up
.Later on, it's discovered that the Black Organization member, Vermouth, had been using his image as a cover during her manhunt for Ai Haibara.
- The Average-looking Doctor's Hot Son: His dad wasn't a Gonk, but it's clear that the younger Araide didn't inherit his looks.
- Gambit Pileup: In the middle of two of these. See the main page for more details.
- Hospital Hottie: Just look at him!
- Kind Heartedcat Lover
- Megane: The glasses he wears highlight his physical beauty.
- Nice Guy: Even veering into a male Ingenue of sorts, since he's way too gullible sometimes.
- Romantic False Lead: Was presented as one, thought he's much nicer than the standard. And Ran was more interested in his sweater.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Sorry, dude. You're nice and all, we all know it... but you're just not Shinichi. He doesn't win even in the Stranger from Ten Years Later OAV, no matter if it's canon or not.
- Sympathy for the Devil: When he returns to his normal life after Vermouth tried to kill him and took over his identity for a while, most people don't notice a difference and comment on what a good person he is. This causes him to wonder whether his impostor is really evil.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Not as "dark" as others, but pretty tall and very beautiful.
Voiced by Miyuki Ichijou (JP)
Ran and Sonoko's English teacher, an American young woman who's very pretty and friendly.She was believed to be the Black Organization's Vermouth, but is actually an FBI agent named Jodie Starling looking into its whereabouts; unaware that the real Vermouth has been using her image as a disguise to hunt for Ai Haibara.After her FBI status is revealed, she resigns from her teaching job and is seen taking part in cases; most of which involve the Black Organization.Mandatory Naming Note
: Jodie Foster as Clarice Starling
A popular TV reporter. She is actually Kir of the Black Organization, but is then revealed to be Hidemi Hondou, a CIA spy having infiltrated the organization.Mandatory Naming Note
: See Meaningful Name
- Big Sister Instinct/Cool Big Sis: To Eisuke, especially seen in their flashback. She also has this shade to a boy who stalk her because she resembles his dead mother.
- Broken Bird: Her father forced her to kill him to hide her true identity, then she had to shoot down one of her friends to "prove herself"..
- Intrepid Reporter: Actually, an Action Girl and The Mole.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: with her young brother, Eisuke. Rena is an Action Girl, The Mole, a CIA agent who infiltrate Black Organization. Her little brother is cute clumsy Dude Looks Like a Lady.
- Meaningful Name: 007how? .
- The Mole: She is actually a CIA agent.
- Self-Made Orphan: Very tragic case, since it was less about hate and more about having to...
- Shoot Your Mate: She shot her father to hide the fact that they were CIA moles infiltrating the Dark Organization.
- And again, she has to do this to Akai. Per orders of That Man himself. Somehow, however, he survives.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Eisuke and Hidemi look a LOT like each other, and said similar looks tip off Conan about their familiar bond. She also looks a LOT like her mother◊ with the exception of their hair color.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She acts cold and efficient when with the Organization, but her kind nature often shines through. Hence why Gin and That Man don't always trust her.
- In the manga, she looks far less malicious than she was in the anime, though. Thus most readers don't have difficult times to guess that she's in the good side all along.
A New Transfer Student
to Sonoko and Ran's class who has a somewhat weak health and comes off to be extremely clumsy. He came to Japan to find his sister's whereabouts, that sister being Hidemi Hondou of the CIA, aka, Kir of the Black Organization.
He returned home shortly after the discovery, but not before telling Conan that he knew of his true identity, and that he had developed feelings for Ran.Mandatory naming note
: "Hondou" comes from Bondo (ボンド), the Japanese pronounciation of (James) Bond
, Eisuke from mystery writer Eisuke Kaito.
- Big Sister Worship: To Hidemi. As seen in their flashback, Hidemi has saved Eisuke's life several times, includes giving a large portion of blood donation to him, which later becomes one of plot points that Rena Mizunashi is really Eisuke's sister, Hidemi.
- Butt Monkey: Always falling on his face.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: A Rare Male Example.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: And how— go back above and check Kobayashi-sensei's picture, and he looks 80% like her.
- Hidden Depths: Eisuke figuring out Conan's real identity as Shinichi Kudo proves his intelligence is on par with Shinichi/Conan and/or Heiji Hattori.
- Ill Boy: He had leukemia when he was a child, and he got better due to his older sister Hidemi's bone marrow donation. This is a plot point as his blood type changed because of it: he used to be a O, but now he and Hidemi/Rena are AB.
- All story arcs related to him happened in hospitals. Even when he's not the one admitted.
- Kansai Regional Accent: He was born and raised in Osaka
- Love at First Sight: Tells Conan that he fell in love with Ran the first time he met her.
- Love Triangle: Invoked and subverted. In front of Conan, Eisuke claims to have fallen in love with Ran and that he wants to take her to America with him. When Conan/Shinichi reacts strongly, he takes it as the hint he needed to guess his secret identity, and then both promises to be one of his Secret Keepers and asks him to protect her in his stead.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: with his older sister Hidemi. Hidemi / Rena is Action Girl, The Mole, a CIA agent who infiltrate Black Organization. Eisuke is cute clumsy Dude Looks Like a Lady.
- Megane: Though he has such a high moe quotient and girlish looks that he could easily pass as a female example.
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Guy: He's polite, kind, and sensitive.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Though he is clumsy by nature, more than one of his blunders weren't that casual.
- Secret Keeper: One of the few people who actually guessed Conan's secret identity correctly, and by himself. This probably put his intelligence on par with Heiji!
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Eisuke was able to guess that Conan is Shinichi Kudo simply by looking at him and then pretend he was going to take Ran to America with him, so he could get a response from him. It worked!
- Strong Family Resemblance: With his older sister, Hidemi Hondou aka Rena Mizunashi aka Kir. Unknowingly lampshaded by Ran, who notices how the New Transfer Student looks a lot like Rena Mizuhashi herself...
A rather peculiar New Transfer Student
to Ran and Sonoko's class. Like Shinichi and Heiji, she is a high-school detective. She moved from the United States to Japan to find out what happened to her brother, Shuuichi Akai, after getting word of his supposed death.Mandatory Naming Note
: Her name comes from Mobile Suit Gundam
's Sayla Mass. The family connections are not coincidental.
Tooru Amuro / Rei Furuya
A Private Detective
who first appeared posing as a waiter while helping a client with a case. He currently works at Café Poirot, and has become Kogoro's apprentice.He is, in fact, Bourbon of the Black Organization, and is shown to be one of the few operatives Vermouth is willing to work with. He is THEN revealed to actually be Rei Furuya, a member of the Japanese secret police having infiltrated the Black Organization
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Homage: to Amuro. complete with white RX-7 which is Shout-Out to RX-78-2. And with the same seiyuu, to boot. His real name comes from both the character and seiyuu as well.
- The Reveal: When he announces his Bourbon codename in front of a normally sized Shiho Miyano (Kaito Kid in disguise) during the Mystery Train arc.
- Much later, it also turns out that he's actually a mole infiltrating the Black Organization. His actual allegiance is that it's not the FBI, which he has some disdain for; he seems to be working for the Japanese Secret Police instead.
- Inter Generational Friendship: He's implied to have had one with none other than Elena "Hell's Angel" Miyano.
- Sherlock Scan: Here
- Shout-Out: His name, Amuro.
- Master of Disguise: As Scar Akai. Apparently he had some help from Vermouth for that.
- The Mole: He is Bourbon. And the fake Akai that was around for a while.
- Mysterious Past: Previously attended the police academy and was a friend of Takagi's deceased superior, Wataru Date. Becomes even more mysterious after one wonders how someone from the police academy became a member of the Black Organization, or if he was already a member of the Organization before applying to the academy.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In order to further infiltrate the Organization's inner circle, he planned to run over an elementary school teacher and hand over Shuuichi Akai to them. Akai calls him out on this, reminding him not to forget their true targets.
- Wham Line : During the Mystery Train arc. "Bourbon... that's my codename!"