Captain Obvious: Fan Works
- All examples found in fan fiction and other amateur tributes are here!
- A Crown Of Stars: In chapter 48 a thug pistol-whipped one of his drunk goons across the face with his gun. The goon's answer? "You hit me,"
- A Running Gag throughout one episode of Script Fic Calvin and Hobbes: The Series: Calvin keeps having to be this to Hobbes.
- Chris Dee's Cat Tales, one of the better-known Batman fanfiction stories, features this moment when Catwoman is regaling a theater audience with the tale of how she first met Batman:
So I've got the trinkets. Brunhilda is still snoring away. Cujo, the killer schnauzer, is still locked in the bathroom. I close the safe, restore the power, slide the window back exactly the way it was—8 minutes flat. Personal best for a private residence where I didn't have the floorplan going in. I drop down to the alley—and there… he… is…The Batman. Caped Crusader. Dark Knight. Guardian of Gotham. Crime Fighter extraordinaire. I am Vengeance, I am Justice, I am in desperate need of a personality transplant… Batman.
In full regalia—looking like Sir Lancelot dipped in tar but not yet feathered.
And he speaks: "I don't think those jewels belong to you."
...I salute you, World's Greatest Detective!
- In Dave Stdider Pokemon Traner, Will Turner is probably the biggest offender, but Dave himself can get pretty bad too.
- In one chapter of the Harry Potter/The Princess Bride crossover "Harry Potter and the Florinese Dream", Count Rugen calls Prince Humperdinck "Prince Obvious".
- In the Psych fic Hero, there is the following exchange when a man who's taken a high school class hostage reveals he's got a bomb strapped to his chest:
Billy: Hey, that's a bomb!Shawn: Thank you, Captain Obvious.
- In Knives in the Dark the following exchange took place.
Kingsley Shacklebolt: We seem to be running out of firewhiskey.
Mad-Eye Moody: Thank you, Shacklebolt. Your statement of the obvious is so valuable.
- In The Lion King Adventures, Nala has a pretty funny moment in The Curse of Death:
Nala: I hate sandstorms. They're really... sandy.Haiba: Well, duh! They're not gonna be banana-y, are they?
- Krysta from My Little Unicorn. Upon meeting Rhymey, a character who speaks entirely in rhyme, she remarks "Wow, he sure does love rhyming." Not long after, she wanders into a restaurant and remarks upon how hungry everybody is.
- In Teenage Mutant Ninja Kneazles after Neville helpfully mentioned that the "cannot sing above the ground" part of the clue for the Second Task meant it would take place underwater and Harry and Hermione gave him scornful looks he commented "Fine, see if I point out the obvious next time."
- Characters' reactions to developments in Twillight Sparkle's awesome adventure are frequently this, sometimes mixed with Department of Redundancy Department.
- Becomes a Ninja Prop when Admiral Awesome pretends to be dying in a fashion so similar to previous meaningless appearances of Captain Obvious that it can easily fool the readers too.
- Enemy Boss Leader reveals that the way to kill Admiral Awesome is to shoot him in the head. Subverted when it turn out not to actually work though.
- This exchange between Sergeant Kanril Eleya and Colonel Karryn Retta in From Bajor to the Black, regarding Eleya's career options.
Karryn: Door number three? An inter-service transfer order.
Eleya: (beat) Starfleet?
Karryn: No, the Dominion. Of course, Starfleet.