open/close all folders
Canada - Matthew Williams
Excuse me! I'm sorry for my lateness! A terrible accident happened... When I woke up this morning, it was already past noon!
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Has lighter blond hair with darker tips in manga artwork, but the anime gives him a uniform dark blond shade. His eyes also changed from being violet (or light blue) to a deep blue. Both changes make him look even more like America. Season 5 gives him back his violet eyes, and changes his hair color to a strawberry blond shade.
- Adorkable: In a much different way than his brother.
- Apologises a Lot: ...see quote.
- Badass Longcoat: His parka in his military uniform seems to be one.
- Bears Are Bad News: Averted, since his pet polar bear Kumajirou might forget who Canada really is, but isn't exactly a bad or evil animal.
- Accidental Misnaming: And in turn Canada doesn't seem to be able to get his name right. This situation might be ranging from type C to type F.
- Beware the Nice Ones / Beware the Quiet Ones: The guy goes from very quiet to practically invisible! Get him angry, though, and he might give you a mind-blowing three-hour rant!
- Butt Monkey: Uh oh, poor kid.
- Canada, Eh?: Oddly enough the English dub, which is infamous for giving almost every character a stereotypical accent, was the one to avert this for the most part.
- Distressed Dude: In Hetalia Fantasia 3, though it can be debated just how distressed he was since it was just a computer game.
- The Dutiful Son: Often portrayed this way in fanworks.
- Forgettable Character: His interactions with other characters often involve them forgetting who he is or that he exists and/or mistaking him for his more outgoing brother America.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Possibly justified? Canada was the aircraft manufacturing and flight training center for most of the British Empire in WW2 and his uniform is aviator-appropriate and seems to include a parachute. While America is clearly dressed as a fighter pilot, Canada is likely to be a bombardier or navigator.
- Heavy Sleeper: Seems to be narcoleptic, as one of the webcomic strips has him speaking to someone else and then both fall asleep randomly. See his quote as well.
- Idiot Hair: A long, curled one.
- Manipulative Bastard: Surprisingly, but one of his tactics to get America to surrender during The American Revolution was to trick him into signing a surrender treaty that was hidden in a package disguised to make it look like it had food inside. It nearly worked, too.
- Megane: Fits the shy, gentle variation.
- Mistaken Identity: Canada is always confused for America (but not the other way around), much to his misery.
- Nice Guy: To a ridiculous level.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Kumajirou, his talking polar bear.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Like America, he has glasses though he apparently doesn't need them to see.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: America and Canada argue. Canada has a 'not so quiet' moment and wins. After three hours, England cuts him off out of mercy for a collapsing America.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: America and Canada's sibling relationship is often portrayed as this, with America as the Manly Man and Canada as the Sensitive Guy.
- When interacting with Cuba they have this dynamic as well.
- Shrinking Violet: Compared to his extremely nosy, extroverted brother.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With his brother America. Canada is meek and sensitive while America is outgoing and has occasional bouts of arrogance.
- The Stoner: In Fanon, due to the country's rather laid back stance on cannabis in Real Life and to the extremely good diplomatic relationships with the other fanon stoner, Netherlands.
- With Hetalia Bloodbath 2010, apparantly confirmed.
- The Strategist: Himaruya remarked that he was a good tactician.
- The Unfavorite: Canada has always been overshadowed by America ever since they were little. As soon as England seemed to be paying more attention to Canada, America came along and took his attention back.
- In fact, poor Canada is usually treated as a non-entity - people either forget who he is or don't even notice him. (In one strip Russia spends a whole meeting sitting in his lap because he didn't notice that Canada was already sitting in the chair. Later Russia comments to Belarus on how comfortable his chair was.)
- Averted in 2011: Canada was the host in Hetaween 2011 and not only people recalled who he was, but they congratulated him on his job. Some of the fandom seems to block that out of their collective minds though others declared it was because of the 2010 Olympics drawing attention to him.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Any food covered with maple syrup.
- Verbal Tic: "Maple!", when in pain.
HEY YOU, AMERICA! WHY ARE YOU HERE?!
Voiced by: Hiroki Takahashi (JP), Bob Carter (EN)
- Animal-Eared Headband: He wears Bunny Ears in Hetaween 2011 while insisting they look cute on him.
- Batter Up: He loves sports (specially baseball) and when he holds a bat he becomes more Hot-Blooded than usual.
- Big Beautiful Man: Has some rather dedicated fangirls who love him because he's big and chubby.
- Big Fun: In the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010, via his hilarious and very weird interactions with Canada.
- The Big Guy: Big, strong, tough and friendly.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Not as big as England's, but they're thicker than most of the other nations'. This is curious in that he's the only nation with them so far who hasn't been an English colony.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Loud, hot-blooded and a fun guy to be with.
- Carpet of Virility: A Type 2 Boisterous Bruiser.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: In the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010 to a ridiculous degree: Tostones? Teleportation? Dynamic yoga? Really?
- Genre Savvy: Surprisingly so in the 2010 Christmas Event, at least when it came down to Never Split The Party... not so much with other suggestions of his.
- Hair Decorations: A hair band.
- Hot-Blooded: Especially if (he thinks) you're America.
- Kansai Regional Accent: Speaks with a Kawachi accent, a rougher variation of the Osaka accent.
- Curiously enough, Cuban Spanish in Real Life is the Spanish-language version of this stereotype.
- Keet: Not the traditional Keet, but he is incredibly energetic and friendly, even in the Hetaween 2011 event, greeting and hugging Switzerland.
- Large Ham: 90% of his dialogue is done by yelling.
- Nice Guy: Other than his Sitcom Archnemesis with America, he's actually a pretty sweet guy; he's good friends with Canada, he approaches Switzerland and Liechtenstein during the Hetaween 2011 event, and takes care of Seychelles when she nearly passes out from the cold during the 2011 Bloodbath.
- No Indoor Voice: Very little of his dialog isn't in all caps.
- The One Guy: In the 2011 Bloodbath, since Seychelles took him with her to the girls's reunion.
- Perma Stubble: Oddly absent during the Hetaween event.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Wears a pink flowered shirt, loves sweets, and goes to the Halloween party with a rabbit-eared headband, calling himself cute. And yet he's one of the manliest characters in the series.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: He is the manly man to the more soft-spoken sensitive Canada.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: To America. Too bad he can't tell him from Canada, much to Cuba's embarrassment when he finds out the truth.
- Smoking Is Cool: Always shows up with a cigar in his mouth. Obviously, a reference to the famous Cuban cigars.
- Sweet Tooth: He loves his ice cream.