open/close all folders
Check it out, this sheep looks extremely hot, huh?
Voiced by: Keiichirou Asai (JP), Tyson Rinehart (EN)
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: According to the Halloween 2013 event notes:"He's the kind of man who will be in the middle of having a conversation with someone one minute and instantly be chasing after a passing cat the next."
- Awesome Aussie: He can normally swim 10 kilometers:Australia: But I guess you can't really feel accomplished unless you swim at least the length of the Dover Straight, huh?
- Badass Baritone: In the anime.
- Battle Boomerang: One appeared in his sketch notes.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Even BIGGER than England's◊ in the first sketch. A later picture shows him with eyebrows that aren't as big as England's, but are still fairly big.
- Boisterous Bruiser and Fun Personified: His two more popular fanon characterizations. From what we've seen of him, they're not that far off.
- Carpet of Virility: There's quite a number of fanworks and fanart that depict him with Type 1. Not that anyone is complaining.
- Cool Shades: Yeah.◊
- Flipping the Bird: His koala does this in Volume 5. Maybe it took lessons from Mochimerica.
- Idiot Hair: Two, to differentiate him from Austria. Doubles as a Visual Pun when the two countries are often incorrectly identified by people.
- Land Down Under
- Non-Human Sidekick: Has a koala in the first sketch.
- Pointless Band-Aid: On his nose.
- Shirtless Scene: Justified since they were at the beach, though he was still the only one shirtless.
- Appears shirtless again in his debut in Volume 5 and the anime.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: A lot of fanon portrays him as this towards England, based on their Real Life relationship.
- We got into a huge blood feud about who was the most sheep-like so we wanted to ask you, Big bro!
Voiced by: Souma Maeda (JP), Anthony Bowling (EN)
- All There in the Manual: He didn't appear in any strip until Hetaween 2011.
- Ambiguous Gender: He was considered this for a long time, due to his design being considered cutesy and him not having made any significant appearances to denote a gender (along with his chest and body being concealed by a sheep at times). Himaruya's initial answer was bordering Shrug of God, or coming off more like a tease:Is New Zealand-san a man or a woman?New Zealand: Which do you think I am?
- There was also much debate over whether or not the usage of "seinen" in his manga profile indicated that he was unambiguously male, or whether seinen was being used in a gender-neutral context. However, the Hetaween 2013 Event notes broke the ambiguity by outright referring to him as a man, and he also has a male seiyu in the anime.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Fairly big eyebrows indeed◊.
- Cat Smile
- Idiot Hair: Two on either side of their head, like ram horns.◊
- Nice Hat
- Non-Action Person: Perhaps implied in that the uniform he wears appears to be a uniform of the New Zealand Army's marching band.
- Non-Human Sidekick: The sheep he was drawn with.
- Simple Staff: A shepherd's cane.
- Verbal Tic: Ends all sentences with a "~" in the original Japanese (like this~), but not in translations.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Australia if Hetaween 2011 and the Hetalia Bloodbath 2011 are anything to go by:New Zealand: My indirect wrinkles seem to increase if I'm in Australia too long.
- Confirmed beyond a doubt in Hetalia Hetaween 2013