The Sea Prince and the Fire Child
is an obscure
Japanese animated movie released in 1981 by Sanrio (of Hello Kitty
fame). It tells the story of Starcrossed Lovers
Syrius, son of the sea god Glaucus, and Malta, daughter of the fire goddess Themis and guardian of the Holy Flame that keeps the fire fairies alive. The two are kept apart due to a conflict caused by Argon, Lord of the Winds, many years ago, which led to a long-lasting war between water and fire.
This film provides examples of:
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Very much present, especially with the fire fairies. There is a hint of areola on Malta once she becomes fire queen, though.
- Bittersweet Ending: Syrius and Malta both die, but Glaucus sends them to heaven to let them recreate the harmony between water and fire with their love.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Piale is incredibly attached to Malta.
- Dub Name Change: Various.
- Expy: Syrius could be considered the second coming of Peter Pan.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Quite a few:
- After Malta accidentally allows the Holy Flame to go out, Piale urges her to run away with Syrius. She then summons a new Holy Flame, sacrificing her body to it in the process.
- Teak is mortally wounded in his attempt to recover the eye of Argon.
- And finally, At the end of the film, Syrius goes into the sunlight, even though he knows it will kill him, to approach Malta, who has become the new fire queen. After mourning his death, Malta decides to carry him back into the water, which kills her.
- Rapunzel Hair: Malta. Especially in her new form as the Fire Queen.
- Starcrossed Lovers: Duh.