Anime: Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
A 1984 anime produced by Tatsunoko Production
, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
is perhaps best recognized these days as
the second of the Robotech
In the year 2120, humans have colonized other planets after Earth has been left ruined after too many wars. On one such colony planet, Glorie, the Southern Cross army has been established to keep the peace with its Transforming Mecha
. Their vigilance is put to use when the planet's former inhabitants, The Zor, come to reclaim their former world by force. It falls to the Alpha Tactics Armored Corps, led by brash newcomer Jeanne Francaix
, to lead the charge against the invaders.
This show features examples of:
- Absent Aliens (Liner notes for the DVDs reveal that the Zor are descended from temporally-displaced human colonists. Though the Protozor flower may qualify as an alien species.)
- Adjective Noun Fred
- Cancellation: Was cut down to twenty-three episodes due to less than satisfactory ratings.
- Amazon Chaser: Charles de Etouard
- The Big Guy: Andrzej Sławski
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Seifreit, though he fights against it.
- Ensign Newbie: Jeanne Francaix
- Gainax Ending: This series ending sequence is in the league of The Prisoner in terms of being incomprehensible and explaining little, though it appears that Jeanne and the rest of the denizens of Gloire may become Zor themselves due to the Flower of Life. The Mind Screw properties of the ending are probably due to the production staff having to wrap up the series at warp speed to beat the clock on the show's cancellation.
- General Ripper: Supreme Commander Claude Leon
- Heel Face Mole: Seifreit.
- Hypocrite: After finding out about Musica, Charles gives Bowe a lecture about how pointless it is to fall in love, because it will only lead to heart break. In the very next scene, Charles visits the hospital to check on an injured Mary Angel, whom he's fallen madly in love with.
- Jeanne d'Archétype: Jeanne.
- No Ending: Because of the sudden cancellation, viewers never found out what really happened in the end. In Robotech, The New Generation starts the next episode with all new protagonists, villains, etc.
- Pink Means Feminine: Jeanne's suit is pink.
- Red Baron: Mary Angel, AKA "Cosmo Amazon."
- The Stoic: Lana Isavia.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Seifreit Weisse.
- Shower Scene: Early on, almost Once an Episode for Jeanne.
- Stupid Sacrifice: Seifreit could've easily survived the series if he hadn't killed the ONE MAN who could land the ship while he was ESCAPING.
- Transforming Mecha
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Mostly one way from Jeanne Fránçaix to Seifriet Weiße.
- Women Prefer Strong Men: Jeanne Fránçaix seemed to have fallen for Seifriet Weiße after he proves to be a better pilot than her, Mary Angel, and the rest of the earth forces.