Anime: Shattered Angels
aka: Kyoshiro To Towa No Sora
When she was very young, Shiratori Kuu met a tall, handsome prince. Her only memory of him is the words "Let's go. Together." Years later, a mysterious transfer student
- and the spitting image of her prince - shows up at her very own school.
The reserved, mysterious Kyoshiro, however, turns out to be more than Kuu bargained for. He seems very prince-like at first, but ends up coming on a little strong—rip off your shirt and stare at your chest kind of strong. To top off that inital strangeness, he is tied up in a massive battle between a race of female super-beings called Absolute Angels, who feed off of the life force of humans through kissing
. Kyoshiro's partner and bodyguard, Setsuna
, is also an Absolute Angel. Kuu isn't sure whether Kyoshiro is really her prince or not, but after the ensuing destruction of her school by the Absolute Angels, she has no choice but to follow him and Setsuna into the unknown.
The series is a Massive Multiplayer Crossover
of previous works by Kaishaku (original manga artist) and TNK (animation producer): Kannazuki no Miko
, Steel Angel Kurumi
, Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto
, and UFO Princess Valkyrie
, with those series' tendencies for elaborate character designs, Scenery Porn
, and Magitek
This show provides examples of:
- Alas, Poor Villain: Surprisingly, Mika of all people gets one of these. Right after we learn her Freudian Excuse for her Psycho Lesbian tendencies, she's killed by Kyoshiro who then kidnaps Kaon. As she dies of her stomach wound, she expresses regret for her actions to Himiko, laments over Kaon never returning her feelings, begging Himiko to save her.
- Automaton Horses
- Back from the Dead: Kazuya, at least from everyone else's perspective. Turns out he was Not Quite Dead after all.
- Big Brother Worship: Kazuya and Kyoshiro
- Big Screwed-Up Family: The Ayanokouji family seems to get progressively bigger and more screwed up with each passing episode.
- Bodyguard Crush: Setsuna to Kyoshiro
- Cat Girl: Tarlotte
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase: The original title translates to Kyoshiro and the Eternal Sky.
- Combat Tentacles: Kazuya's favorite method of attack.
- Dojikko: Kuu
- Duality Motif: Mika Ayanokoji, whose right iris is purple and the left, orange (though, the latter may be an implant). Her dual nature seems to be that she is simultaneously manipulative and scheming and dangerously passionate for Kaon.
- Expy: Pretty much every character that isn't Kyoshiro, Kuu, or Setsuna is an expy of a Kannazuki no Miko character.
- Extreme Doormat: Setsuna
- First Kiss: Kyoshiro gives Kuu hers at the end of the first episode.
- Furo Scene: Almost once every other episode, at that.
- Genki Girl: Kozue
- Girls Love
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Soujirou and Tarlotte
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: Pretty much sums up Kuu's feelings for Kyoshiro.
- Important Haircut: Setsuna at the end of the series.
- Intimate Healing: The definition of Mana.
- Instrument of Murder: The Mana Buster, which is basically a modified Cello designed to kill Absolute and Steel Angels.
- Large Ham: Kazuya, to the point where it's difficult to believe that it isn't being Played for Laughs.
- Love at First Sight
- Love Redeems: Kyoshiro
- Love Triangle: They're everywhere! The one that gets the most focus is Kuu-Kyoshiro-Setsuna, but there's also Himiko-Kaon-Mika and sort of Kyoshiro-Kuu-Kazuya. In the final episode, there's even a suggestion of a Jin-Himiko-Kaon triangle, which is not surprising considering that Jin is reminiscent of Soma from Kannazuki no Miko.
- Market-Based Title: The series is known as Shattered Angels in English-speaking countries.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Mika constantly tortures and eventually tries to kill Himiko for taking away Kaon from her.
- Na´ve Everygirl: Kuu
- Ninja Maid: Setsuna
- Once an Episode: Kuu writes a letter to her prince at the beginning of each episode.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Kuu
- Peek-a-Bangs: Jin
- Pimped-Out Dress
- Psycho Lesbian: Mika.
- Real Trailer, Fake Movie: Shin Kyoshiro To Towa No Sora.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Himiko and Kaon.
- Zettai Ryouiki: The Joutou girls' uniform.