She and Her Cat: Their Standing Points is Makoto Shinkai's first work, a five minute short that was released in 1999. The focus of the story is the relationship between a woman and her cat; the latter provides the narration, recounting events in the girl's life about heartbreak and loneliness.It is animated entirely in black and white, reflecting on the minimalist nature of the cat's perspective. Through the use of detailed still images and careful incorporation of sound, the end result is a highly concise and sweet tale of love and innocence, elements that Shinkai will integrate into all of his subsequent works.A four-episode OVA, titled She And Her Cat: Everything Flows (Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko ~Everything Flows~) was released during the Winter 2016 Anime; with Makoto Shinkai's approval, the OVA was produced by Liden Films.
She And Her Cat provides examples of:
- A Boy and His X: A Woman and Her Cat.
- Anachronism Stew: The 1999 short is the sequel to the 2016 OVA, but in spite of this, the mobile phones in the short are boxier compared to the more modern designs seen in the OVA.
- Inner Monologue: The cat provides a charismatic, direct narration of his thoughts on the world.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The monochromatic art draws the focus of the story towards the beauty and simplicity of simple, everyday things.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Prequel: The 2016 OVA is implied to be a prequel to the 1999 short film.
- Scenery Porn: Whether it be the raindrops impacting on a wet surface or the woman's clothes strewn aimlessly into a laundry basket, attention to subtle details breathe further insight into the story about the woman's life.
- Simple Score of Sadness: A few simple piano pieces quietly accompanies the calm, melancholic events.
- Shout-Out: Chobi and Mimi, the two cats in the short, appear briefly in 5 Centimeters per Second.