Page Action: Overused Copycat Character
What would be the best way to fix the page?
This issue has been resolved and voting is closed.
+13 (yeas:19 nays:6)
Allow these Sister Tropes Overused Copycat Character
into these two parts:
- A trope with the name Drizzt Syndrome, about self-designed player characters tending to be rip-offs, mostly in Tabletop Games and Video Games.
- A Super Trope in this This YKTTW, about certain influential characters tending to have many Expies in other professional works.
- Pros: The two concepts have different connotations and they get different treatments, so they should be individually tropeable.
- Cons: It was argued that the first variation wasn't distinct enough, and the second one is not sufficiently different from Trope Codifier
+2 (yeas:7 nays:5)
- Rename and rewrite Overused Copycat Character to be less overwhelmingly negative with more focus on the phenomenon in professional works. Make sure this sort of thing actually happens in professional works. If so, draw a clear line of where this differs from a Trope Codifier.
- Send the idea of self-designed player characters tending to be ripoffs to YKTTW to see how it fares. If/when it becomes a trope, note on both pages how the first trope tends to set in motion the second.
-2 (yeas:5 nays:7)
Rename and rewrite Overused Copycat Character
to be more value neutral, and be about certain influential characters tending to have many Expies
in other works.
- Pros: It was the previous page action's original intention.
- Cons: It would completely drop the potentially tropeable idea described in the first part of the "Split" suggestion.
-7 (yeas:3 nays:10)
- Cons: The page stays negative instead of value neutral, and it would keep partially covering two potential tropes.
Total number: 4. Number shown: 4.
Total number of votes: 62