open/close all folders
- Turnabout Of Courage: Hazama loves to give these (even almost saying these exact words at one point), but the biggest one comes if you go down the path of the Bad Ending. The speech there is almost like a self-insert for Blackrune, really. He stomps in your face for thinking that he'd ever have so many useless pieces of evidence and unexplained plot threads.
- In Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Case 5: Turnabout Substitution, Apollo delivers one to Rhea Wits, the real Mysterious Bust Killer, after besting her in their final confrontation. She had just previously taunted him before they were due to reconvene in court, admiting that they killed "dozens" of people because their victims simply did not "live life to its fullest" (according to their warped view on life and death), as well as going on about the ecstasy that killing and evading justice provided them with. They considered the only people who really "lived" were thrill-seekers, terrorists, etc., as they lived without fear of dying:Rhea Wits: Not bad, for a lower life form. Or perhaps figments of my imagination, telling me my life is over. Oh well. At least I'll die knowing I did something with my life! I'll die knowing my life had meaning, unlike everyone else in this courtroom! You were all so concerned with what I did, with the past. With something that was dead and gone. With mundane details... who did it, where, when, how... You spent so much time on these questions, you were so concerned with them, you stopped thinking about yourselves! Wanna know what was the most amusing part to me?
Apollo Justice: ...
Rhea Wits: When everyone kept trying to make sense of the crime! The photographs, the music sheet, the bust... it was all meaningless! I picked out some random words in the dictionary, and voila! My crime scenes. So, how does it feel to know the truth?
Apollo Justice: ...I've been thinking about what you told me in the defense lobby. And I finally have an answer for you.
Rhea Wits: Oh, really? I'd love to hear what sort of inane response you've devised.
Apollo Justice: You are completely wrong. What gives meaning to our lives... is other lives. Those people you talked about, who were truly living, who weren't afraid of death... They aren't afraid of death... because they aren't truly living. They concern themselves with their own lives, and try to find meaning in cheap, short-lived thrills. Do you know why a regular "Joe Schmoe", as you put it, will beg for his life when threatened? Because he has friends and family he doesn't want to leave. Friends and family that he does not want to suffer grief and hardship.
Rhea Wits: ...
Apollo Justice: Everything you said has been completely wrong. The only person in this room whose life doesn't have meaning... is you. Poole has been prosecuting solely for Judge and Arthur. Strings is a judge only because of his father. And my reason for staying in this world is right here. *Shows them his mobile phone, as a symbol of his connection between his overseas companions* But you, Rhea. You. I can't think of a better metaphor than this photographnote . At first glance, it seems fine and normal. But on closer inspection... it's fake. You don't live for anyone... not even yourself.
This is what your life is truly like! *Rips photograph to shreds* Face it: you're shallow, empty... Imaginary. You think you've lived life to the fullest? You think you are the greatest human being, with the most meaningful life out of all of us? You're not. People won't care that you're gone. And I don't mean they won't mourn your death. I mean they'll care so little, they won't even celebrate your death. You think you'll live on in history as an exceptionally feared criminal? Heh. Even that won't happen.
You are one of the most pathetic criminals I've seen! The only reason you got caught was your own fault. You cross-examined yourself to confession. I gave you the shovel... and you kept on digging.
Rhea Wits: ...I see. *Has a Villainous Breakdown*
Avatar The Last Airbender
- In How I Became Yours, Zuko and Mai exchange these speeches after Zuko finds out that Mai concealed the letters about Katara's pregnancy from him. Each accuses the other of being selfish and endangering the Fire Nation.Zuko: Now I see why I couldn't love you even when I tried to! My gut knew that you would do something like this to me! A Child mai! You didn't do this for our country! You didn't do this for me! You did this for you! You hate her more than anything since the second you saw her!! And I will not have you talk about her that way! For your selfish reasons, you might have put our country in dander and all that I have built for this nation!! Your a traitor!
Mai: Stop talking like you care about this country and the people in it! I am your queen and you betrayed us all! It's because you love that tramp!!! You never cared about anyone but yourself you chard monster! I seen it the day you left their little group and became Fire Lord! The way you looked at her said it all! Your the liar!!!!
Zuko: i'm going to pretend you didn't say chard... monster... Regardless of what you think you saw, at that point in my life, I wasn't with you... your sins are way darker, and your demons more desirable than mine could ever be. I can't trust you anymore. You have made loving you impossible now. You will not talk to me like you now me. You will be stripped of your title. Tonight you will leave the palace... I am not Zuko to you anymore... and you are not my Queen...
- In Morality Chain, Azula interrogates Iroh over his betrayal at Ba Sing Se. Iroh scolds her that the whole war was brought about because of Sozin's legacy having a feud with Avatar Roku and in turn his descendant that it was endangering the overall peace of the world. However, considering, in this story, Zuko's her Morality Chain, she was nothing but supportive to both of them in their exile (Iroh she was barely civil and only for Zuko's sake), and this action comes across as him betraying the Fire Nation. Zuko takes it especially hard, and the princess is not happy about this.Azula: I guess continuing this conversation is pointless. It's not like you actually care about how Zuko feels anyway.
Iroh: You have no right to say something like that.
Azula: Don't I? You've been nothing but cruel to Zuko, Uncle. How am I supposed to interpret that?
Azula: Oh? What else am I supposed to call it when you've been stringing him along for three years, Uncle! You never had any intention of letting him capture the Avatar! He trusted you, Uncle! He trusted you, and relied on you, and now you've taken all that trust and thrown it back in his face!
Iroh: Those three years were meant to guide him-
Azula: And even assuming your nonsense holds any water, you 'guided' him so well that no one was more surprised than Zuko when you turned on us! Excellent work, Uncle. You were so incompetent you couldn't even corrupt him properly. You know what, Uncle? As far as I'm concerned, you're no better towards Zuko than Father ever was. At least he was straightforward about things.
- After joining up with Zuko in his canonical HeelFace Turn, she then gives one to Katara in this version of "The Southern Raiders" when Katara fails Azula's Secret Test of Character by bloodbending the current captain of the Southern Raiders to death, resulting in Azula refusing to give the waterbender Yon Rha's current location:Katara: Aang. It's Aang. He set you up for this.
Azula: What a surprise. The twelve-year old boy who happens to be the Spirit of Balance thinks revenge is bad. Now don't get me wrong, we both know I don't give an owl-rat's feather for what you want to do to the man. But the Avatar asked this of me, and right now I care a lot more about staying in his favor than yours. (pauses, then smiles) And if it's any consolation, you've actually made me very glad tonight.
Azula: Well, for one thing, it allowed me to confirm what I always suspected: that deep down inside, you're just as ugly as I am.
Katara: (launches a water whip at Azula, who dodges) Don't you dare. Claim that I'm anything like you!
Azula: Oh, really? Then what do you call what you did back there?
Katara: What I did?
Azula: You didn't do it cleanly or quickly. Oh no, you taunted him. You tormented him. You wanted him to suffer. You wanted him to be afraid. To know that his life was in your hands. That's why you bloodbent him instead of just freezing him to the wall. Quite the rush, isn't it? To feel so big, looking down on one so powerless, so...small.
Katara: No! No, that's nothing like what you do! He deserved it!
Azula: Did he? Did you even bother to confirm who he was before you attacked? Did you know what this man has done to warrant such treatment? Because he's not the one who killed your mother, in case you forgot.
Katara: Shut up.
Azula: But maybe it's because he's Fire Nation military. So obviously, he's an evil, evil man who probably kicks puppy-doves and steals sweets from children. I mean, that's what we all do, isn't it? The big, bad Fire Nation?
Katara: Shut up!
Azula: And really, don't think I don't see it. What you were doing to that man, you don't wish it was him lying crumpled and helpless under you. You wish it was me-
Katara: SHUT UP! (bloodbends Azula into a submissive position, then summons a globe of water near her head) Tell me where Yon Rha is. Right. Now.
Azula: (softly) Or else? (Katara hesitates, then releases Azula and sends the water back to the ground) Well, look at that. You're not nearly as bad as me, after all.
- After joining up with Zuko in his canonical HeelFace Turn, she then gives one to Katara in this version of "The Southern Raiders" when Katara fails Azula's Secret Test of Character by bloodbending the current captain of the Southern Raiders to death, resulting in Azula refusing to give the waterbender Yon Rha's current location:
- In What SHOULD have Happened in Avatar the Last Airbender there are plenty of speeches to go around. However, the most memorable and astounding one is the one Yon Rha gives Zuko.Yon Rha: You deserve that scar, you pathetic excuse for a prince!
Zuko: Do you want to die today?
Yon Rha: No! But I do want you to realize something! Do you know how many years I gave of my life to the Fire Nation military? How many times I pushed myself and risked life and limb for the glory and honor of my nation? Do you think you get to be the head of a specialized division thats responsible for neutralizing threats from an entire part of the world by not doing that?
Now youre willing to kill me, a dedicated, sacrificing soldier, just to gain some kind of victory with her! Any of that sounding familiar? And dont think I dont know how you got that mark on your face! Old-nobodies in the middle of the Earth Kingdom know it!
Now, I dont know what she told you about what I did or what happened between me, her, and her mother, so Ill forgive you for hunting me down. But the second! The literal second that you heard my side of the story! My side that told you that I was following orders to take out a credible threat! My side that told you that I was deep in enemy territory and that taking the bender out alive wouldve been near impossible and the time it would have taken wouldve endangered my troops! The second you heard that, you should have stopped this girl and tried to make sure you knew what really happened that day so that you could make the right decision!
But you didnt. You did exactly what that general in that war room did on that day. I can see it in your eyes: Winning a measure of respect from this girl was a near-impossible obstacle in your path so you decided to sacrifice a man who loved and defended the Fire Nation to overcome it! So, yes, you deserve that scar. But theres something else you deserve. You deserve a message, one single message from the hearts, minds, and memories of the entire 41st division:
Fuck you, Zuko.
- In Opheliac, after Ozai escapes prison and is planning to start a civil war to reclaim the throne, Azula gives one to Aang, calling him out for being too naive and not killing Ozai when he had the chance.Azula: No, it will not be okay. Thanks to you, my country is about to be devastated by civil war, and instead of standing up like a man and facing the consequences of your actions, you choose to run like a scared rabbit and hide from the truth. Do you have any idea how childish you are?
Aang: No, why don't you tell me?
Azula: Oh, I will. You are a spoiled, idiotic, pathetic little boy who keeps prancing around like the world is a bright, happy place where everything is rainbows and butterflies and happy little turtle-duck families. You refuse to face the world as it is, and because of that, my people and my country are in mortal danger. What do you have to say for yourself?
Katara: Stop it.
Azula: No. Let the boy speak for himself. What do you have to say for yourself? [Aang looks at Katara for help and Azula pokes him hard in the chest] Answer me!
Aang: I needed to get away! I just...I had to clear my head.
Azula: That isn't good enough.
Katara: Stop treating him this way! You have no idea what he's been through!
Azula: Oh? What have you been through, Avatar? You grew up in a temple where everyone loved you and helped you and taught you. Then you ran away and got locked up in ice for a hundred years, while your people were slaughtered. How sad. And then you get out and you spend a year running around the world, having an absolutely fabulous time learning about the elements, with only a couple of hiccups, and you depose my father with a stroke of blind luck. Tell me, have you ever been told that you're wrong? Have you ever felt worthless, or powerless, or small? Have you ever had your heart broken or had anyone ever not love you? No. No, you haven't. Imagine growing up the way I did. Imagine that your worth is measured by how good a firebender you are, or by how badly your brother fails. Imagine that nothing you do is ever quite good enough for your father, and your mother thinks you're a monster. Imagine that no one likes you, that everyone you know is just waiting for the chance to turn on you. Imagine that you have no one to turn to, nowhere to go, and nothing to believe in but yourself. Imagine that running away is not and has never been an option. Can you survive in this world? Could you, for even one day, live that way? [Aang is silent] Answer me!
Aang: [softly] No.
Azula: I can't hear you.
Aang: I said no! Are you happy now?
Azula: No. Not until you've learned how to.
- In Snow, Ozai gives one to thirteen-year-old Zuko after watching his son's less-than-stellar firebending.Ozai: [after Zuko points out that he could improve if they spent more time training together] I would desire to spend more time with you if you showed the slightest competency at any of the tasks I've set you. Your firebending lags far behind your sister, despite her age. Your marks in school are average at best. Do you think you deserve to spend time with me? Do you think you deserve to inherit the throne?
Zuko: Father, that's not what I -
Ozai: Look at you. You think it's a matter of luck that sets you apart from Azula? No. There are a thousand other barriers between you. You are complacent, naive, foolish - not unlucky. You inherited all your mother's softness. But if it's luck you wish to speak about, my son, very well. Azula was born lucky. You, wretched offspring of mine, were lucky to be born.
- A few chapters later, Azula lets loose on Iroh with one:Iroh: Please, Princess Azula. You must not leave bad blood between you. Reconcile with your brother. It is best for both of you.
Azula: Reconcile? Are you serious, Uncle? He does nothing but blame me and look down on me, and still you think it's my fault? Don't pretend for an instant you care about my side of this. All you've ever bothered with is Zuko. He's your precious little replacement, isn't he? I know why you're out here. I know why you haven't gone to visit him. You can't stand to see him, can you? First your son gets killed, and then your surrogate son gets half his face burnt off. And you probably think that both times were your fault, and you're right! You brought Lu Ten to war, and you brought Zuko to that war meeting. Even your wife ended up dead. You can't love anything without it breaking, can you? Too bad Zuko's going to have a scar. He won't look like Lu Ten anymore.
- A few chapters later, Azula lets loose on Iroh with one:
- In the infamous Stormbenders, Sokka throws one at Aang for his failure with the Avatar state at the end of season 2, blaming him for things that weren't even his fault:"You're sorry?" Sokka rolled to his feet. "Aang, they broke our dad's ribs. They kicked him until he spat blood. Teo's dad is still in prison. People died." [...]"And I love her!" Sokka grabbed Aang and forced him to face Suki. "I love her and they had her in chains and I couldn't get to her and I'm going to spend the rest of my life making up for that because you couldn't get your act together-"
- In the fanfic Three Families, in Chapter 40, we get a great one from Young!Azula to Old!Azula after the Dai Li obey Long Feng and arrest Azula during the Coup, with Long Feng unintentionally informing her that she was "never even a player."Young!Azula: This is what all of your scheming and preparation has been leading to, you old hag. All of that time and effort, wasted. I could have told you you'd find some way to muck it up. Your entire life is one big failure after another.
Old!Azula: You don't know anything about me!
Young!Azula: I know more than you think. I know that you turned me into your personal ball of hate against people who you see as your enemies. And you know what? I don't think they are.
Old!Azula: Then you're a traitor as well as a coward!
Young!Azula: Oh, will you listen to yourself? You called yourself a traitor. If only you could hear yourself.
Old!Azula: This is... a minor setback! I will find a way to rule this city!
Young!Azula: No you won't. You've managed to fail in every way possible. I'm not the traitor to my homeland; you are! I'm not the screw up my father cast out; YOU ARE! This is all your fault! If you hadn't come along, none of this would have happened!
- Earlier in the story, Azula (who Zhao believes to be a seer due to the Old!Azula possessing knowledge of the future due to her being a Peggy Sue) also delivers one to Admiral Zhao, informing him of how he wound up in canon.Azula: Would you like to know your future, Zhao? How you die? You die from stupidity, and arrogance, and avarice. You die because you take a victory and turn it into a defeat. You break the Tribesmen, beat down their defenses, and hold their god hostage in your hand. And then you screw it all up, killing it, and invoking the Avatar's understandable wrath. You die because you can't accept anything less then... Zhao the Invincible. There's irony in that title.
- Earlier in the story, Azula (who Zhao believes to be a seer due to the Old!Azula possessing knowledge of the future due to her being a Peggy Sue) also delivers one to Admiral Zhao, informing him of how he wound up in canon.
- Quite a few of the in-story reviews in Bleach: Fan Works involve this. One standout example is the reviews to Chapter 3 of Jolene Meyer's story.Dark Kuroda: I'm a flamer because I said something negative about your fanfic? You really need to grow up and understand that not everyone is going to praise what you do. This chapter is better then your first too, she is slightly more likeable. However, she is making the characters run circles around her. That is what we call a Blackhole Sue. Particularly since you do make the characters Oo C here.
Jolene Meyers: I am just going to ignore you. You don't know what you're talking about. None of what you say makes any sense at all.
Oshikko: Yes... I am a flamer. I enjoy telling you how much your story actually sucks. Seriously... don't you get that this would never actually happen in the world of Bleach? I enjoy reading your fanfic because I enjoy laughing at your stupidity. Do you actually act like this girl. No... wait, I read Cutie Pie 3's review from last chapter. You're trying to mimic that shit Twilight. You are successful in that but then... that isn't hard to do.
Jolene Meyers: Don't you dare diss Twilight! You are a moron not to see how great of a writer Meyer happens to be! I laugh at your stupidity, you moron. If my fanfic is so bad, why don't you write your own version, huh?
Oshikko: Sure I will. Keep in mind, you suggested I do so.
- Ichigo's Inner Hollow gives one to Orihime in A Black Heart during the Hollow invasion.Inner Hollow: You know... this is all your fault, you know that right? Your friends are getting the shit beat out of them and all you can do is stand here whimpering. Isn't that what you've always done?! What's so hard about helping them out to defend you?!
Orihime: But... I'm not as strong as they are.
Inner Hollow: Bullshit! Tatsuki pummeled those basic defense lessons into you, till she was confident that you could hold your own in the future. Yet at no time have you ever, EVER used them! You get groped on a daily basis and still unconsciously expect Tatsuki to save you! So again, why won't you defend yourself?!
Orihime: I... I... I don't want to add any more hurt to this world. W-what if the last thing a person remembered before they died, was how I hurt them?
Inner Hollow: Are you fucking kidding me?! That's even more fucked up than your last reason! What makes you so special that you won't take responsibility for your actions to defend yourself?! What gives you the right to force that burden on Tatsuki?! And if you haven't already noticed Princess, the world's a shithole where bad things happen to good people. ARGH do you have any idea how badly I want to beat your head in right now!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Bring Me to Life:
- Buffy and Angel give one to Jasmine in chapter 24:Buffy: Thousands of people are dead because of what you've done, Jasmine.
Jasmine: And how many more will die now because of you and your friends? I could've stopped it. All of it. War, disease, poverty... every last wretched drop of suffering. Children would have grown up healthy and strong, with families full of love and harmony. Peace spreading around the world like a wondrous, precious sea wave. How many precious, beautiful lives would've been saved in only a handful of years? Yes, I murdered thousands... to save billions.
Angel: What about all the lives that you destroyed along the way to getting what you wanted? Are you saying their lives were less precious than the people you claimed you wanted to save? Who the hell gave you the right to decide who lives and dies?
Jasmine: I did! I'm not human, vampire- so don't try to treat me as one! I did what I did because someone had to! I was trying to save this world!
Buffy: No. You were trying to rule it. And you weren't going to let anything stop you. You think we don't get it? It didn't matter to you whose lives you wrecked, or who you killed. There's nothing selfless about that... it's just ruthless. And sick. And evil. You so-called gods and higher powers are all the same; you're a bunch of selfish dirt-bags who don't care about anything but yourselves!
Jasmine: I am nothing like Glorificus!
Buffy: No. You're worse. Glory was an insane maniac and an evil bitch, but you know what? At least she never pretended to be anything else. She was a hellgod, it woulda been crazy of us to expect her to act any other way. But you, Jasmine? A higher power? One of the Powers that freakin' Be? For you to fall so far and act so low, to betray everything you're supposed to stand for... that's what makes you a monster!
- Buffy gets one from Robin, who's anything but pleased that she lied to him about Angel:Robin: "The mission is what matters." Nice speech, but you withheld information that I had a right to know-that we all had a right to know-before you dragged us here to this damned hotel. You lied to us. To me. You used your own agenda as an excuse to pull the wool over my eyes. And you want to protect your vampire lovers so much, that you're actually willing to murder me now? You're a disgrace to every Slayer that's come before you, and the two who came after you. All of your predecessors would spit on you, Buffy, if they were here right now. Including and especially my mother.
- Amy later gives one to Willow in chapter 37, in response to Willow declaring her insane for working with the First:Amy: No! No, no, no, you want to know what's insane? Insane is letting other people tell you your place in the world when you could be running it. I spent my whole life letting my bitch of a mother run my life, and most of high school being everyone's punching bag, and now that I have the power, I'm going to make damn sure that nobody is going to step on me ever again! Warren was right. I have been watching you. I saw that fight you had with your friends in the Magic Box last year. You took the Slayer, the baddest chick in the underworld, and you beat her ass. You wiped the floor with her. It wasn't even close. And then you nearly blew up the planet? For a second, I thought you were finally going to step up to the big time. To stop denying your real power, the real you.
Willow: That's not who I am. That's not the real-
Amy: Yes it is! You have all this power, more than you deserve. And now that you have it, you-you don't even want it. You're running from it. Hiding! Holding back, playing by other people's rules, letting others tell you what you should be. People like you and I, we aren't meant to be controlled, Willow. People like us, we're above everyone else! Rules don't apply to us, we should be making the rules.
Willow: You're wrong. We're not above the law, Am. We-we can't just go around killing people whenever we want!
Amy: Oh? And how'd that work out for you. You tried it Buffy's way. You went to college like a good girl, did the Dudley Do-Right shtick, played by their rules, and what happened? You knew Warren was dangerous. You had the power to get rid of him when he was going after Buffy, hell, maybe part of you knew you should have gotten rid of him. But you didn't. All that power at your fingertips, and you did nothing. You just stood by, and your best friend ended up with a bullet in her chest. And what happened to Tara? The woman you loved died bleeding in your arms, drowning in her own blood. You could have saved her if you had acted sooner, but instead, your insistence on playing by these rules... cost Tara her life. Hell, you might as well have pulled the damn trigger yoursel-
Willow: SHUT UP!
Amy: [chuckles]: Same old Willow. Trying to pretend that you can be a normal girl, but you're not. You haven't changed. All this power, and you're still just the sidekick to the Slayer. Still hiding behind Buffy's skirt, just like in high school.
- Buffy and Angel give one to Jasmine in chapter 24:
- The Devil's Truth Series:
- Buffy dishes out one to both Xander and Joyce after defeating Belial, chewing them out for their treatment of her:Buffy: Now listen to me carefully. 'Cause I'm only going to say this once. I know I'm not perfect. I've screwed up majorly, and it has always come out, and I've apologized, and we've dealt. I have some major apologies to make for tonight. The way I see it, that's how it always works with this group. We must be the biggest bunch of screw-ups on this planet, 'cause we just do it over and over again: we hurt each other, it comes out, we apologize, and we deal. But you two? It never came out for you, did it? You just keep acting righteous and grinding my face into my mistakes until it bled! [to Xander] Get me turned into a rat? I never say one angry word to you. [to Joyce] Try to burn me at the stake? I let go 'cause I don't want you to feel bad. But you both keep acting like the Justified, telling me what an untrustworthy screwup I was at every turn. Well, guess what? As far as I'm concerned, neither of you is going to be the Justified again. No matter what I do, you have no right to act like you have any kind of moral authority at all. Ever.
- Angel gets in on it was well, calling out the Scoobies, especially Xander, for their behavior:Angel: I should kill you. Not for me. If you'd told Buffy, maybe she could have kept me away from Acathla long enough so that I wouldn't have had to go to Hell. Maybe I wouldn't have been tortured for more than six thousand years. We'll never know, will we? But that's a maybe. And maybe she would have let her guard down just far enough for Angelus to kill her. He was ready to, you know. So who knows? Maybe you even did the right thing, wrong reasons and all. And I don't care if you hate me, either. You're a petty, spiteful little boy who can't deal with someone intruding on what you perceive to be your territory. I think Oz will agree with me on that. No, the reason I want pry your ribcage open and eat your heart right now is how you treated Buffy. Angelus returns, and what do you do? Gloat and browbeat her to kill mehim. You'd always wanted me dead, and you finally had an excuse. No sympathy for what she's feeling. Your hatred for me crowded that out. When she finally does kill me, she runs away. Weaker souls have been driven to suicide by what she went through, but do you care? No. All you cared about was how she "ruined your life" by leaving for a summer that she would have spent with her father anyway. Who would she have talked with about her grief if she'd stayed, huh? Giles or Willow, who IAngelushurt? Or you, who would have been gloating? Maybe you- [points to Joyce] after you let her back in the house? Or maybe the nice police who interrogated her for murder? She gets back, and you know she had to kill the man she loves, you don't care, because that man was me. You never stopped berating her and rubbing her face in all the harm that Ihedid, until you found out what it was like to not be forgiven. Congratulations, Xander. Angelus would have admired your cruelty.
- Buffy dishes out one to both Xander and Joyce after defeating Belial, chewing them out for their treatment of her:
Calvin and Hobbes
- Calvin and Hobbes: The Series:
- "The Case of the Rogue Water Balloon" has this gem, delivered from Calvin to Hobbes:Calvin: IT WAS... YOU! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU! MY OWN BEST FRIEND WENT AND GOT ME FRAMED! YOU TRAITOR! BENEDICT HOBBES! I'LL NEVER SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN!
Hobbes: Uh Calvin?
Calvin: HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME! I WELCOME YOU INTO MY HOME! I LET YOU EAT MY TUNA! I LET YOU POUNCE ME AND ATTACK ME! I LET YOU BE FRIENDS WITH SOCRATES! I EVEN LET YOU BE PRESIDENT OF G.R.O.S.S! AND YET YOU DO THIS! YOU'RE LUCKY I DON'T THROW YOU OUT ON YOUR FURRY BUTT ON THE SIDEWALK FOR THIS!
Hobbes: Okay, calm down.
Calvin: YOU KNOW WHAT? EVER SINCE I LET YOU INTO MY HOUSE, YOU'VE GIVEN ME NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! I USED TO HAVE A NORMAL LIFE! BUT NOW MY LIFE IS COMPLETELY TOPSY-TURVY, FILLED WITH POUNCES, FIGHTS, CUTS AND BETRAYALS!
Hobbes: Take it easy.
Calvin: BUT THIS ONE TAKES THE CAKE! YOU DELIBERATLY TRIED TO GET ME INTO TROUBLE! I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND! BUT I WAS WRONG! YOU'VE CROSSED THE LINE, STRIPES! YOU LEAVE ME NO CHOICE, HOBBES! I AM GOING TO TEACH YOU A LESSON YOU'LL NEVER REMEMBER: NEVER BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!
- Near the end of "Thunderstorm", the Season 3 finale, Hobbes mocks the recently deceased MTM as being useless, and Calvin replies as follows:"All MTM ever did was try to help us. He always fired his lasers on time, and he always tried to lighten the mood. And what did you do during all those adventures? You were always running off. You were always hiding. You never helped us. What happened when we were attacked by a monster under my bed? You ran off. What happened when Socrates and I were attacked by a mountain lion? You ignored us. What happened when we were all trapped by that ghost? You deserted us. What happened when Socrates was lost and cornered by two bears? You feigned injury and made me do all the work, AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE SOCRATES! YOU STAND HERE COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW USELESS MY INVENTIONS ARE, WHEN IN REALITY, YOU'RE THE USELESS ONE! I DON'T KNOW WHY I BOTHER WITH YOU! I SHOULD'VE KICKED YOU OUT ON YOUR SORRY FURRY BUTT YEARS AGO!"
- Brainstorm also delivers a smaller one to Thunderstorm later on:"You deceived me right from the start. You showed me dreams of ruling the world together, but no! You had to break the promise. It made me realize it was all just a lie!
And now you get no mercy. SERVANT RAY! DO NOT ATTACK AND DESTROY THUNDERSTORM!"
- "The Case of the Rogue Water Balloon" has this gem, delivered from Calvin to Hobbes:
- Can You Imagine That? has Hobbes giving one to Calvin (who retorts with a Dare to Be Badass speech):"Well, this is just great, Calvin. Just great. Thanks to you, we are now hopelessly lost in an area of the woods we're not familiar with! We could've stayed home for at least a week before the camping trip and have all the fun we wanted. No, you had to make sure your summer vacation was perfect. Well, let me tell you something, buster! Right now, sleeping in a tent on hard rocks and eating dead sea animals and dry spam is starting to sound pretty good right now! You wanna go and get lost in this place? Fine. I'm going home!"
- In The Final Grade Calvin gives an excellent one to Miss Wormwood that might have only been in his head.Calvin: Miss Wormwood, I can assure you that I have learned that learning can be fun, and education is a vital part of life.
Miss Wormwood: [smiling in satisfaction] Good.
Calvin: However, I have learned that learning is only fun if it is made fun, or at least interesting, and regrettably, you are not an interesting teacher. You reduce everything to trivia and sound bites. [...] You don't even treat me like an individual! Every time I try to make learning interesting for myself, you grind me down until I'm just like everyone else and repeating all the facts you pour into my head like I'm a parrot! If I have any hopes for the second grade, it's that my teacher treats me like I'm a human being and not like I'm some sort of automated little wind-up toy! I only hope you're capable of learning to treat kids like they're people and not a bunch of little automations to be programmed to spout trivialities! Have a nice summer!
- In the Facing the Future Series, the heroes have given out these to the villains of said stories:
- In Trial By Fire, Sam gave one to Undergrowth, saying he's no better than humanity as he doesn't care about any living thing on earth besides himselfUndergrowth: "YOU (Sam)?! OF ALL THE CREATURES IN THIS WORLD?! YOU WOULD SIDE WITH THIS VILE SPECIES OVER THE WILL OF NATURE?!"
Sam: "Oh don't get me wrong. I'm ALWAYS about nature. But you know, FIRE has a natural purpose too. It's nature's way of telling plants that every once in a while, they need to BACK OFF!! You know, I could go through a whole laundry list of things people do to this planet that I can't stand. And I could yell and scream and rant and rave until my lungs collapsed," she added, flitting around his head like a buzzing insect, "But for all the legitimate complaining we could do, did you ever stop to think that you're no bargain, either? All you want to do is take, take, take without caring about anything else that lives here. So you'll forgive me if I don't see any REAL difference between you and them. Besides, I can honestly say I'm a LOT closer to some of the people here than I could EVER be to YOU.Sorry pal... but if I have to honestly choose between you and them... then that's REALLY no choice at all."
- In A Family Thing, Maddie finds out that Vlad tried to clone Danny, and blows up at him, and then delivers one of these to Vlad on how he doesn't love, just wants, and that's why he became a pariah, why he can never be happy, nor could she ever fall in love with him.Maddie:: WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU!?
Vlad: Oh, Maddie, please don't say that. After all, you and Danny... the perfect family I could never have... Would you really condemn a man the foolish things he does... for love?
Maddie: Oh, why don't you just stop already?! You don't 'love', Vlad! You've NEVER 'loved'! All you've ever done your entire life is WANT things! You know something Vlad, you can't look me in the eye and honestly tell me that your life has been all that terrible! It just wasn't ENOUGH for you! You could take away everything that ever meant anything to anyone, and the rest of the world besides, and it STILL wouldn't be enough for you! Never enough MONEY! Never enough ATTENTION! Never enough... EVERYTHING! I fell in love with a man who has always been able to think about MORE than just himself. And I don't care how powerful or how smart or how perfect you THINK you are... That man is never... ever... EVER... going to be you.
- Vlad actually admits she's right, but brushes it off to carry out his Evil Plan.
- In Laws of Attraction, after Danny delivered one to Walker about how he's the biggest hypocrite he ever met because he likes to make rules then breaks them, after Walker attacks Maddie .Walker: "Destruction of prison property is AGAINST THE RULES!"
Danny:"Rules? RULES? What do YOU care about rules? You break your precious 'rules' whenever it's convenient. Why don't you just admit it? All rules are to you is an excuse to try and control everyone! YOU'RE THE BIGGEST HYPOCRITE I'VE EVER MET IN MY LIFE!"
- Clockwork himself delivers one to Vlad when he comes to try and steal the power over time, insulting him about how he has sought power beyond his comprehension only for it to backfire on him. Vlad tries to attack him anyways, so Clockwork beats him down.Clockwork: "Do you really have any idea what you would even DO with my power?"
Vlad: "Oh, I'm pretty sure I could think of something. Being the undisputed ruler of all time has a nice ring to it. Along with the added bonus of being able to rewrite history any way I wish to make me ruler of both the Earth AND the Ghost Zone? I like the sound of THAT even more."
Clockwork: "Still refusing to look at the big picture. Of course, how CAN you when you can't even see past your own nose?" Vortex... the Infi-Map... Pariah Dark. Time and again, you've tried to seize control of powers beyond your meager understanding and time and again, you've met with failure. And now you come into my domain with all the forethought of a teenager looking to steal a car for a joyride and brazenly declare that you will take MY power from ME? It would seem that Danny Fenton is quite correct when he calls you what is that term again? A 'fruit loop'?"
- In Trial By Fire, Sam gave one to Undergrowth, saying he's no better than humanity as he doesn't care about any living thing on earth besides himself
- For a non-Facing the Future example, Danny Phantom: Fresh Start has Spectra mock Danny over how exposed he's made himself as a result of revealing his identity during the finale:Danny: Where's my family? [throws Spectra to the floor and kicks her] I said where are they?! Don't toy with me, Penelope!
Spectra: Oh, but it's too much fun seeing you squirm! The great Danny Phantom, all strong and unbeatable, but threaten the ones he loves and he crumbles under a mountain of emotion. You humans are all alike, all mopey and...what do the kids like calling it?...Emo! It only makes you and your species more and more pathetic.
Danny: I don't have to take this from you.
Spectra: Well, what about them? What about the rest of the world? You've got half that know you all too well, and thus make prime blackmail fodder. The other half, meanwhile, seeks payback for how you put them in jail or the Ghost Zone, and would love hurting you where it counts. [grins evilly] You can't win, Danny! Sooner or later, someone's gonna die over you, and all because everyone knows your name...both of them!
- Danny turns the tables on Spectra minutes later, guessing at her origins and subsequently mocking them in a scene that feels very much a Shout-Out to Terry's RYSS to the Joker in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, even having Danny be intangible in the shadows while doing it much like Terry was:Spectra: Where're you going, Fenton? Don't tell me you're cowering out already, and only thirty seconds into the fight.
Danny: Who said anything about running? I'm not afraid of you.
Spectra: You should be, you little twerp. Everybody in the Ghost Zone knows not to mess with me. I've known ghosts as powerful as Vortex to cower when I come walking through.
Danny: For what, being an incessant nag? I mean, your motives aren't exactly Grade-A villain material, and this is coming from a guy who's fought Vortex. Inflicting misery on people just to maintain your youth? How superficial can you get?
Spectra: [fires an ecto-beam into the rafters, destroying a light fixture] Where are you, you little brat!
Danny: I wonder what you were like when you were alive, assuming you were ever human to begin with? I'll bet you grew up in an abusive household. Dad probably beat on you a lot, maybe over something like you ruining his dreams for the future. Maybe you weren't much to look at either. I can imagine all those cute boys who wouldn't even look at you 'cause you were so ugly.
Spectra: Hey, I'm the psychiatrist here, not you! If you're tryin to turn the tables on me, it's not working!
Danny: So, then you died, and the first thing you go and do is play supervillain. Lovely career choice, though that still doesn't explain the psychology angle. [rubs chin in thought] Oh, I know! You wanted to be one of those annoying pop psychologists, right? The kind that get fat off of self-help book royalties and talk shows? Surely no one would ignore you if you were famous, though I can see that it didn't pan out.
Spectra: Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!
Danny: So, the mighty Penelope Spectra is really just an attention-craving little girl whining about how her life was so miserable, and you figured you'd drag everyone down into the same despair you had to put up with in life. Yeah, like I'm verrrrry frightened. You want me to get you some tissues for your sob story? Maybe give you the number for the Self-Help Club for Whiny, Naggy Ghost Hags?
- Danny turns the tables on Spectra minutes later, guessing at her origins and subsequently mocking them in a scene that feels very much a Shout-Out to Terry's RYSS to the Joker in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, even having Danny be intangible in the shadows while doing it much like Terry was:
- Why I Hate Sam Manson has the author give one to Sam based off of Quagmire's RYSS to Brian in Family Guy, bringing up legitimate gripes fans of the show have with her character:Sam: Okay, what is with you?
Author: Excuse me?
Sam: I've never done anything wrong in the show, I'm like Danny's favorite love interest...next to Ember, though why I'm not sure...you like the show, how can you not like ME? I'm one of the most important characters on the show! How can you not like ME?
Author: Okay... I'll tell you. You are the worst person I know. You constantly ignore and disrespect your parents, always shouting Parents dont listen or understand. No, YOU dont understand. The people gave you life, put a roof over your head, bring you food and how do you repay them? Ignore them, avoid them and sneak out to join a circus! You know how many kids dont have parents or both parents in their lives? You know how many kids want to spend time with their parents? And thats another thing; you have NO reason to be morbid and unhappy You have two parents who love you, youre nowhere near poverty and you have a wonderful home and what do you do? Sit in your room in the dark listening to some idiotic emo people with loud music about how life is terrible. Yeah, Im not exactly Mr. Sunshine, but I have reasons, my folks are divorced, my best friend is on the other side of the country, Ive never had a girlfriend and I work in a flower shop after spending 4 years learning how to work in videogames. Youre just so hypocritical, you always go on and on and on about the importance of individuality even though youre fitting in with Goth kids. You say you oppose violence and yet you threaten your friends, be mean to them at times and even damage everything around. You talk about how the Government is pushing people to do things and how people sell out to the man. And yet you have the district change an ENTIRE school cafeteria menu to food only YOU would like! No separate menu for people who want to try, just all for yourself and let other people starve. Thats another thing, youre bossy and you want things your way! You let loose a gorilla that couldve killed you, but you keep your friends quiet with an embarrassing photo because it was an endangered species. Against Dannys wishes, you use the Op Center to make a stupid radio station, 100% free of corporate influence, or money, or assistance or amusing tracks for all I know. You tried to let loose frogs from the school without thinking about the importance of animal biology and of course you never look at the negative parts to your plans. Lets let loose two male gorillas that are the last of their species so that predators and poachers can come after them or their race can die out quicker! Lets save the frogs from dissection so that they can return to where trucks run over them or birds and snakes eat them you dont see zoos as anything other than a prison. Does that mean a hospital is a prison for not letting sick people out?! Youre okay with the destruction of trucks because theyre environmental nightmares and even tried to make Danny do it... you know how much money and hardwork put into making those trucks were? You know how many kids probably didnt get Christmas presents because of that? But no, you dont believe in selling out... you dont believe in what most people call GETTING A PAY CHECK! Speaking of which, you're obviously using your ideals to hide your obvious laziness. You hate manual labor, you won't "sell out to the man", why? Because you have money!!! You go on about how Government buys us and all that, but what do you know about earning money?! I pull leaves off flower stems every morning!!! Hate to break it to you, well, I don't, but there are people who'd trade those idiotic ideals to have food in their bellies or clean underwear! Before you open your mouth, try earning a paycheck! And I think what I really hate the most about you is that you pretend youre this deep girl who really loves Danny for who he is and hates shallow girls. What makes YOU not shallow? As I said, you always want things your way, youre also always pleased whenever Dannys heart is broken. When Valerie broke his heart, instead of comforting him, what do you do? You smile, sigh and say clueless. When he gave up his powers to keep his loved ones from being harmed, what did you do? Scold him for wanting a normal life. Oh yes, normal is so boring, being a freak whose life and loved ones are always endangered by monsters, demons and such is so much more exciting. You werent happy for him, you were upset you didnt get kicks out of seeing him beat someone up anymore! But you know what, I can forgive all of it ALL OF IT if you werent so unlikeable. Thats the worst part, youre not fun, not pretty, not cool... just absolutely unlikeable...
- You Can't Do Any Better Than That is basically one big RYSS Danny gives to Vlad, culminating in this:Danny: Youre a lonely, pathetic, miserable old man whos slowly dying inside because no one loves you, and you make yourself feel better about that by beating up little kids. Youll never earn Moms love. Youll never kill Dad. Youll never win over my family, so you can rot through life. You just get older and older each day, breathing and eating and sleeping and dying more and more inside. And one day your age is gonna catch up to you, and youll die for real, and Ill still be around, happy. [laughs] I go to bed smiling over how petty and sad you really are. Gnight Vlad! Sleep well in your big empty house. I hope your big cold vaults of money are comforting, because nothing else in this world will ever comfort you. Not a wife, not family, not love! Youre rich, youre powerful, youre strong, but youre an empty shell of a man, and you cant do any better than that.
- In Danny Phantom fanfic Resurrected Memories: Ember as Amberline delivers an epic one to Paulina based off of Brian's RYSS to Connie in Family Guy after the latter tries one of her put downs.Ember/Amberline: You know what Paulina, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I think I know now why you're such a bitch.
Paulina: What did you just call me?!
Ember/Amberline: Listen here Paulina, you're only popular because your daddy spoils you rotten and always hands everything to you on a silver platter and that you've developed pretty early and started putting out soon after to the first remotely acceptable guy that made a pass at you and now you can't stand to look at yourself in the mirror... because all you see is a spoiled, weak-minded little child who can't do anything on her own who gradually grew up into becoming a whore who's nothing without her pretty face and daddy's money to protect her. That's the reason why you go out of your way to find victims to pick on in order to both gratify your swollen ego and to avoid the inevitable realization that once high school is over, there'll be nothing left for you but memories and several possible STD's and all you'll end up becoming is little more than some scumbag's concubine whose sole survival skills will consist of nothing but these 5 words: "Daddy, I need another loan"... Am I in the ballpark?
- In the Super Danganronpa 2 fanfic System Restore, Togami, who avoided being murdered at the party, gives this speech to the second murderer, in response to her trying to compare her actions with Togami's attempt to sacrifice his life to stop the first murder.Togami: You that Komaeda manipulated Hanamura into killing him! Did you think I wanted Hanamura to do that? Did you think I ever wanted that to happen again? You werent manipulated. You killed Pekoyama by your own volition for fully selfish reasons. How dare you compare yourself to him! I trusted you. I thought you, of all people, could be reasonable. I cant even comprehend you trying to justify your actions like this. You cant. You wont. Youve done nothing but play into Monobears hands!
- In the New Danganronpa V 3 fic, Three-Point Shot, Kokichi Ouma gives one to Maki Harukawa after exposing her identity as the Ultimate Assassin.Ouma: Your precious Harukawa-chan is nothing more than a coldhearted killer. Shinguuji-chan was psycho, but even he's got nothing on her! Killing people for money, destroying lives without a care in the world. And she was so desperate for me to keep it a secret, that she agreed to help me. What an idiot! You actually believed my sob story about wanting to save everyone?! What part of 'I'm a liar' do none of you get?! Not that you have any room to judge, Miss 'Caretaker'...
- Where Talent Goes To Die
- After the group gets murder weapons from Monokuma, Mitamura tells everyone to not open the boxes they came in. At this point, Hoshino, who'd never trusted Mitamura, takes the opportunity to criticize what he believes to be naivete on her part.Mitamura: Assuming none of you plan on committing a murder, you should have no reason to use these weapons.
Hoshino: That might be true, but what do you think we should do? Sit on our asses until Monokuma realizes we won't kill each other and lets us go?
Mitamura: I am not expecting something so unrealistic to happen, but all 'games' require the players to actually play. The choice of whether to participate in this one is up to us, and if all of us choose not to participate, no one will have to die.
Hoshino: Like that'll happen. Do you really think that no one opened their boxes? Or that there aren't other places to get murder weapons? Hell, you were the one who told us there was a crapload of dangerous stuff lying around when we met up last night. [...] So you can't answer that, huh? Or maybe you don't want to. Not that it matters- I'm not expecting an honest answer. Unlike everyone else, I don't just put you on a pedestal or listen to everything you say. I didn't even vote for you, anyway.
Sugiura: Neither did I, Hoshino-san, but that level of hostility is uncalled for.
Hoshino: Is that all you have to say in Mitamura's defense, Sugiura? Do you really think our fearless leader is the only one who can find a way out of here? Or that she's better than any of us? I sure as hell don't.
Iwasawa: I do, Mr. Hoshino. Why else would Miss Mitamura take on the responsibility of leading us?
Hoshino: I can think of a few reasons why someone like her would go to all that trouble. Maybe she's used to doing so to pad her resume for her college applications. Maybe she wants her mommy and daddy to be proud of her. Or maybe she wants to pull the wool over our eyes so that no one'll suspect her when she commits murder. In my experience, goody-two-shoes like her are almost always selfish at heart- they just try harder than most to convince people otherwise.
- Kurogane gives a vicious one to Miura during her final attempt to apologize to him.Miura: I realize that you're still angry about my defeating you, but I'd like to do what I can to earn your forgiveness. We don't have to be friends, but given the nature of our situation, we should at least be able to get along and work together.
Kurogane: So you're making nice with me to keep me from murdering you? Believe it or not, I don't plan on killing anyone, so keep your platitudes to yourself- they aren't necessary or appreciated.
Miura: I didn't think you were trying to graduate. I'm just saying that even if neither of us plan on murdering each other, we should be able to trust and cooperate with each other. That's why I'd like you to know how sorry I am for what happened in our game of s-
Kurogane: A GAME?! Spoken like a true amateur! I competed against siblings and relatives just so the rest of the family would approve of me. I defeated pros who, like me, had played for all their lives. And then some newbie shows up, making me the laughingstock of the professional shogi circuit and an embarrassment to my family, merely as a demonstration of her talent! I can't think of what's worse- that you'd surpass me so quickly, or your 'beginner's luck' only lasts long enough to make a fool out of me.
Miura: I-I didn't think of it as...
Kurogane: Of course you didn't think! Dilettantes like you just play around until they're bored, then move on to the next thing. Your so-called 'talent' gives you a few wins, and might just fool most people into thinking that you're good at it, but you're still just playing around, not knowing what it takes to gradually build a reputation- or have all your hard work undone in a single loss.
Miura: I didn't know...
Kurogane: I'll tell you this much. True Ultimates hone their talents over time, and must continue to do so in order to be worthy of the honor- and burden- of being known as the best. You might not be able to leave this school, but you don't belong here, so don't talk to me unless it's actually important.
- Mitamura gives a short one to the first killer after their Motive Rant.Mitamura: I suppose I understand your feelings. At the same time, though, your actions were unacceptably selfish. For your own life and own desires, you murdered Kurogane-san, and were willing to let the rest of us die rather than own up to your actions and accept the consequences. I do not condone Monokuma-san's decision to sentence you to death, but someone like you has no place in our group.
- After the group gets murder weapons from Monokuma, Mitamura tells everyone to not open the boxes they came in. At this point, Hoshino, who'd never trusted Mitamura, takes the opportunity to criticize what he believes to be naivete on her part.
- In Despair's Last Resort, during Chapter 5, the group is on edge after hearing that one of them is Monokuma's spy. After Ryouta's paranoia and hostility gets out of hand, resulting in him claiming that Kazumi doesn't care about her best friend's death, Kumiko punches him and gives him the following speech, both of which are highly unlike her.Kumiko: Ryose, shut the FUCK up! This entire time you've done NOTHING but complain and blame people without any proof! No one here knows who's working for Teddie, except for them! It's one thing to be suspicious, but you're just being an ASS! You don't have to like us, but this whole 'everyone's out to get me' crap needs to STOP! That's what he wants! You keep acting like that and someone really WILL try to kill you! I've had enough of this, and I bet everyone else has too, so get your DAMN act together!
- New Hope University: Major In Murder,
- At the end of the first trial, Lucina, writing notes, gives Saya, the protagonist, one over Saya concealing important evidence in the trial and manipulating her classmates.Lucina: You knew from the beginning Therion had changed the sheets. Why didn't you mention it earlier?
Saya: Uh. I was trying to build a case. I wanted everyone to understand the way the crime went first. We all had to talk it out.
Lucina: You also pretended to get things wrong so people could correct you. You let people think they came up with the ideas you were trying to lead them to.
Saya: What is your problem? I'm the reason we're still alive right now. I did what I had to do.
Lucina: I appreciate and respect how you were able to figure it all out. But you enjoyed it, didn't you?
Saya: Enjoyed what? Look...
Lucina: You enjoyed knowing that you could manipulate everyone however you wanted. You enjoyed watching Therion twisting in your net. Right?
Saya: This is ridiculous; I don't deserve to be criticized like this!
Lucina: I want to trust you. More than anyone else here, I want to trust YOU. But you terrified me today.
- In a flashback, Saya gets one from her father. It's unclear what exactly caused him to give this speech."Goddamn it, Saya. You just make things as hard as fucking possible for everyone. You think it means you're smart. If you're so smart, how come no one can stand to be around you? (Saya tries to say something) No. No. It's you. I used to think it was me, and your mother trained you to do this as some kind of petty revenge. But no, it's all you. It's all just... thinking you're impressing anyone, like some smug genius. Jesus fucking christ, I can't deal with it anymore. No one can deal with you."
- At the end of the first trial, Lucina, writing notes, gives Saya, the protagonist, one over Saya concealing important evidence in the trial and manipulating her classmates.
- In Danganronpa: Last Hurrah, Nao gives one to the second killer after learning the person's Freudian Excuse- Jirou wanted to be recognized as the Ultimate Scholar, in order to outshine his brother and be recognized by their parents. Nao asks Jirou if his parents were abusive, and after hearing the answer is no, gives the following speech."It was only you who was thinking you weren't enough. You were the problem, not your brother or your parents]]! Did it ever occur to you that they have not given much guidance because they have enough trust in you to leave you alone with your decisions? Did it ever occur to you that they might be worried about your brother getting into trouble which causes them to be around him all the time? No! Because you were too busy feeling like a poor orphan when in fact your parents trust you so much that you have so much freedom!"
"You are lucky to have such loving parents. Not everyone still has both of their parents. Not everyone is born into a loving family. Not everyone is trusted by their parents. If your parents found out you killed an innocent little girl, do you think they will be proud of you?"
- In Chapter Three of the novel-length Daria Fan Fic Its All About Respect, Sandi Griffin delivers a blistering Colony Drop version of one of these to Daria, in front of a lunch-room crowd:Sandi: "I don't even know why I'm even wasting my time or theirs talking about or to you. You don't care about anything or anyone here — you wouldn't lose a moment's sleep if anyone or everyone else were wiped out, would you? To you, it really wouldn't matter if this were a class project, a video game or real life - even if all these people that you know were to get wiped out, would it? You don't care about people getting hurt or dying — I'm certain you didn't lose sleep over Tommy Sherman —"
Daria: "You have no right to say that about me."
Sandi: "I have every right to say it. You make fun of all of us. You think we're idiots, running around doing nothing of any real worth, just acting stupid and wasting time until we're dead while YOU cage yourself up in the dark in libraries and such, doing your living by reading constantly about the people who had the guts to do what you won't — which is go out and LIVE! You make fun of people like Kevin, and Brittany, and Charles. You make fun of things like the 'Lowdown', the Fashion Club and the football team, and people like Andrea — hell people like Mack and ME are afraid that someday, you'll notice them and start chopping away at them, hurting their feelings because you don't want to feel good yourself and don't want to know why! You treat us like idiots! Yes, we're not all as smart as you — and by the way, even though we ARE the idiots, we still outnumber you - and if we wanted, we could stampede over you. But do you know why we don't? Because we don't NOTICE you. You see — we're having fun. We're out doing things. We fight among ourselves, we do stupid things, we make others notice us, but above everything else we're living. We're alive - and whether we're in pain, or happy or getting screwed by the system, we're gonna keep going — but YOU! You're a black hole for happiness — you're world-class buzzkill! It's kind of like what Billy Thomas said on 'Ally McBeal' — 'Life is wasted on you, Daria! Life is wasted on you because you'll never enjoy it!' You're worse than a 'misery chick' — you're Sally Field in 'Soapdish!' No matter how many chances you get for happiness, you'll just screw them up because you are the Queen — of — MISERY!"
- Jane gives Daria the OTHER barrel of the coach gun moments later with an equally harsh speech — and then, in Chapter Five, Daria herself gives one of these to Trent Lane:Trent: "Daria, I'm not trying to —"
Daria: "You're not doing ANYTHING with, to or for me — there are better-looking ways to get an STD, and you've probably never heard of antibiotics. What, piss-poor lyrics make you dumb AND deaf? Let me make it simple, so even a non-guitar playing bag of skin, bones and smell like you can understand without you needing your wannabe psychic earth-mother floating around on bong smoke to translate: GET — AWAY — FROM — ME. GO — THE — HELL — AWAY. FUCK — OFF!" [pauses] "So you are capable of learning. I guess that empty look in your eyes is just for decoration — well, something about you should be physically appealing to someone someday. Study up on '2+ 2' — maybe you'll SOMEDAY be able to swing that job collecting tolls on the Jersey Turnpike. It's your kind of career, Trent: money, respect AND intellectual development. Maybe you'll pull down a Nobel Prize for your fundamental breakthroughs in counting loose change." (Trent steps away.) "Smart call, two-ply. Now practice playing the scales — it'll help you pass the time in the Public Aid Office while you wait for your appointment to get food stamps. Better yet, close your eyes while you're there and count all the fans you'll have when you make it — my God, are you done already?"
Jesse: "Daria, c'mon —"
Daria: "Are YOU trying to develop the concept of speech and evolve?" [shoves something down Jesse's pants] "Here's a twenty; go buy a haircut, a shirt and a vasectomy. That way — you'll be the perfect man."
- Jane gives Daria the OTHER barrel of the coach gun moments later with an equally harsh speech — and then, in Chapter Five, Daria herself gives one of these to Trent Lane:
- In Chapter 16 of God Save the Esteem, appropriately titled Wedding Hell, Erin (Daria's cousin) unloads on all and sundry with a screamer at her own wedding:Erin: "Don't you even think about telling me off for making a scene, maybe if I did it more often I wouldn't be standing in the shit like this! As pathetic as Aunt Helen and her fucking coven are, at least they don't let someone box them into a fucking box for their own image! This wedding, this fucking wedding... this is all, all mirrors and smoke, you just want it to look good so you can pretend you wanted me to get married! And oh yes, Brian is fucking worthless but that never bothered you about Paul or Bruno or any other of the other troglodytes you keep dragging round the house every four months and forcing me to play stepdaughter to! And you wonder why I left home the damn instant I was laid off from work and had an excuse to move? Any wonder I stick with my troglodyte after watching you piss it up every third of the year? Don't you ever think it, Daddy! I haven't seen you in years and so what if you can't stand Mother you could work something out, but you don't! And Aunt Amy! Brilliant damn advice, brilliant, you sure know about horrible shitty relationships only you forgot to give me anything more practical, like what happens if my boss is such a creepy pushy bastard he follows me? YEAH THAT'S RIGHT I'VE BEEN HAVING SEX WITH MY BOSS ANDREW LANDON WE DID IT TWO MINUTES AGO! Well, that's me fired, I guess, and the wedding off too! Are we having FUN yet? Are we, Hellion Wheels? Is this punk enough for you? Maybe if I was doing this at 3 fucking AM and shoving it down your throat every damn time we met, that'd be punk, right? Christ, and your hellspawn is worse than you, you must have really worked at that! And don't think you're out of it, Daria, you made it clear you knew the marriage was failing and you snarked about it! Snarked about it? What use could you be to anyone? And a big thank you, I MEAN FUCK YOU, to all my friends who had to walk in and decided to snitch about me behind my back, well I'm sure glad I wasted years of my life with you and tried to act all sympathetic with your problems! A total waste! I hate every damn one of you."
- Original villain The Lord gets a pretty good one on Alexander Luthor in the Infinite Crisis fanfic Crisis Point during the Battle Of Metropolis, where the Lord has shown up to try and seize control of Alexander's plan (It Makes Sense in Context). While the scene actually has them going back and forth doing a "You Suck" speech to each other (and Alexander technically wins), the Lord's final response is considerably more epic.The Lord: [upon being told his power is nothing, especially considering Luthor's insane ally, Superboy-Prime, is both a Physical God and powered by the Lord's weakness, sunlight] And what YOU have is a mad child throwing a temper tantrum, the last vestiges of your control soon to be shaken off. He bleats about how hes going to be Superman... shuh, what a joke. Superman is at least something to be noticed. Despite all his power, all I can do is laugh at him and his little crybaby antics. Hes pathetic. Just like you... No matter what the world, neither you nor your father can win. At least this worlds Lex Luthor has the common sense to apply his genius to self-gratification. When the wave of white consumed him, what did your father have to show for his efforts? A WEAK LITTLE NOTHING LIKE YOU. Fighting the good fight leads to a false heaven, switching sides the same psychasthenia that so many have found before. He would have been better off putting a toy poodle in that rocket for all the good youve done.
- In the fan-made DCU Shared Universe of JLA Watchtower, Gar Logan gets in a zinger of one against a resurrected Terra. The Gar player at the time had just finished reading The Judas Contract and was mad as hell about what Tara put him through.Tara: Thought you mighta been one of the smart ones. Dick had something to prove. Kory was an airhead. Donna was all 'whatever ya say, Dick.' Tincan was stuck in moping mode. An' let's not go there with Raven. But you mighta been something.
Gar: I am! I ditched my lying, deceptive user of a power hungry lunatic, and found someone the complete opposite to share my life with! [laughs] And you were so pathetic, after getting out of your slavery in Hell with a sliver of honor, to fall right back to where you DIED. A worthless shell, used to bribe assassins with, among others no doubt, to con with, and scheme with. And now you tried to con yourself a life. With your ex no less. As a martyr to the Titans yourself, back from the dead honorably, when you really died crushing yourself by accident in the murderous rage you created from your insanity. You're pathetic Markov....See, that's your main trouble. You hate the truth Tara. You love lies. Lies are your best friend. You can shape lies. You can't shape truth. You can adjust lies by adding more lies. Adding a lie to a truth just makes it look worse. And you know what you'll end up dying with Tara? You and your lies. What a life that was. From nothing to something to nothing again. Hope you like this path, because on this planet, on the road you're on, you're screwed. Here lies Lying Manipulator. Died alone.
- Chris Dee's Cat Tales is full of them, most notably one from Clayface impersonating Riddler to Bane in Gotham Rogues:Riddler: Am I supposed to be impressed?
Bane: You should be afraid.
Riddler: Of... whom? The coward who had to wear Batman down before taking him on? The soured underpowered coward thateven packing the old venom advantageneeded to break us all out of Arkham to tire Batman out before he could take on a witty-bitty crimefighter half his size? I taunt Batman, you pusillanimous poseur. I say "Come and get me, Big Man." And when he does, I want his best game. Thats how men measure swords, you posing poltroon. Why on earth do you imagine Id be afraid of a... fraction of a man who had to hide behind my coat once already?
Mr. Kittlemeier and I will be leaving now. Word has it youre not a muscle-bound imbecile. If thats true, you should be leaving too. Get out of Gotham and never come back. If you dont... I will break you.
- The Final Straw is essentially just Superman giving Batman one after the latter uses his Freudian Excuse one too many times.Superman: Krypton.
Superman: Krypton. Mars. Argo. Do you know what they mean?
Batman: Your home world, J'onn's home world, Kara's home world. I just don't know why you're bringing it up.
Superman: I never knew what my home planet was like. My parents sent me away when I was a baby. But Jonn married. He had a family, two kids before the White Martians invaded. Kara had her parents and a little brother. Maybe more relatives, but she doesnt like to talk about it that much. Not with me or Ma or Pa. And they both lost it all in an instant, either war or planetary destruction.
Superman: And you know something? Theyve drawn people in instead of pushing them away. Jonn spends time talking with the others in the League. Kara is balancing her time between the Titans and her friends at school. Theyre still hurting, but they reach out instead of withdrawing. They dont let their fears get in the way of their happiness. Meanwhile, youre not even fit to be near children.
Batman: I know how to talk to children -
Superman: No, you know how to interrogate them. You know how to get them to talk, even when youre wearing that outfit. Its easier to do when they arent your children.You make it sound like you have a heavy burden on your shoulders looking after an entire city, even though you have people who love you and give a damn. People ready to die for you and let you know that you arent alone. And how do you thank them? Youre fired, now get out of my cave, You disobeyed a direct order, Stephanie. Its over. I dont need anyone. Youre only getting in the way. And do I have to mention how you thanked Miss Row? Does she still have that broken nose? You had Alfred, you had Leslie, you had people who loved you and youre still griping over your parents death. Why are you still making a big deal over it?
Batman: Take. That. Back!
Superman: No. I wont. And its going to take more than Kryptonite to stop me, Batman. You could pull it out now and Id still be right. It wouldnt change anything Ive said.
Batman: [Growling] What point are you trying to make here?
Superman: My point, Batman, is that they suffered more than you have, and they arent taking it out on everyone around them. Jonn doesnt punch children for reminding him of his dead ones or of a future he might never have again. He doesnt break up with a woman hes attracted to because hes afraid of her dying. Kara doesnt break off her friendship with Barbara every time she saves her life. She doesnt conveniently forget about Ma or Pa, the closest things she has to parents right now, when she feels overwhelmed. I dont push Lois or Jimmy or my parents away just because my planet blew up. I dont ignore my friends or co-workers, either. And your backstory? A mugging that took your parents lives. That is sad. And no kid should have to deal with that. But you know what? Youve had time to mourn. Youve had time to heal. Youve have people to lean on. But you dont seem to want that, do you? Its been twenty-five years since its happened. I dont care how old you think you are, he glares at him coldly] Grow the hell up.
- In Laughable Bats, Batman gives one so scathing that it gives The Batman Who Laughs (one of the most, if not the most, dangerous psychopaths in the DC Multiverse) a Villainous Breakdown that manages to restore a bit of his sanity.
- In All You Need Is Love Light Yagami writes Naomi Misora a letter telling her just how much Raye Penber sucks at being an undercover F.B.I. agent:Light: Mr. Raye Penber is very annoying and doesn't know when to LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE. I realize it is his job to follow me around like a lost puppy but could he at least put a small amount of effort into not being so bloody noticeable? It's almost embarrassing having to look behind me every day and see him there standing oh so inconspicuously behind me with that newspaper shielding his pasty face. Yes, I can see him behind that newspaper the eyes in my face indicate that I am not blind. Your fiancé; should note this fact next time he comes tapping along behind me, which should be any moment now I might add. Here are a few tips I wish to convey to your lover boy, please feel free to tell him for me as I think it's counterproductive for me to tell him. Besides it would just point out how inept he truly is: 1) when following someone try not to walk so loudly and when they stop walking you stop walking 2) when following someone do not literally follow them at every single moment of the day this includes lurking outside their room in the dead of night 3) do not wear the same clothes every day especially when on a high school campus not only are you noticeable you look completely ridiculous 4) when on a bus that is being high-jacked by a man with a gun do not show your victim your ID with your real name, if you have to use a pseudonym it's not unheard of 5) everyone can see you whispering in the back of the bus your voice is louder than you think 6) don't tell your victim what day your shift ends; you never know when they might have been paying attention. 7) when wearing the same clothes every day do not wear a blue trench coat, you want to be mistaken for a drug dealer every time you take a stroll? 8) when glaring at your victim and their date try not to look so completely bored, if you are going for the 'pedophilic-stalker' look be sure to complete it otherwise you look stupid 9) walk at a distance far enough away that your victim can't instantly grasp the fact that he is being stalked 10) try to look like you're doing something besides following your victim people might start to notice. I could go on but I think this should suffice, once again I leave with the statement THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU AND YOUR PATHETIC USELESS BEAU WHO CAN'T EVEN STALK HIS VICTIMS PROPERLY!!! Thank you for your time.
- In A Cure for Love L does this indirectly when he asks Light's help to figure out what a "Loveable Rogue" of a criminal is going to do next and then gives Light his own psych file to read:"any therapy would likely further enable his abilities to manipulate others. His intelligence and superficial charm, combined with his pathologic egocentricity and internalised morality, make him a dangerous individual deserving of clinical management and incarceration. He is driven by some, as yet, undefined goal. Kira's targeting of criminals gives a certain mask of sanity and 'goodness' in terms of his reasoning, but, due to his narcissism and deep-rooted antipathy, I doubt that they are exclusively or will remain his true aim of attack. At this point in time I would score him high for the Factor 1 scale of emotional psychopathy on the PCL-R, though his neurosis are not fully incapsulated within those criteria. He appears, at times, to show feelings of strong empathy, despite his apparent incapability to love." Light slammed the folder and the words shut. "What a load of utter rubbish. I don't care. Really. I couldn't give a flying fuck."
- From Low Light there is Kira's ( L and Light's) greeting to Near:Good Morning Near,
I hope that you are well this morning, and my impromptu greeting has not interrupted any important investigation work this man was pursuing. I would not wish to deprive you of your important information, but when I realised that you were attempting to find me I knew I it would be remiss of me not to greet you.
As is my way, I shall prove to you my identity, as if this were not enough already. I believe you have an Ellickson Thomas and a Larry Conners working for you, yes? I also know that if you had been more thorough in your investigation you would have realised they were perhaps not quite as virtuous as you were led to believe. I shall say no more on that.
I must say that taking on L's persona in front of the American President really was quite rude. L was a far more worthy opponent to my righteous justice than you could ever hope to achieve. I suggest you admit your real identity to him soon, as well as to those who are blindingly following you in the hope that you are L, or I will tell him who you are. I assure you the president will escape retribution for his transgression, I believe in second chances.
Oh, and Near, you should stop twirling your white hair so much, you could damage it.
- In the AU Point of Succession Light informs Matt how he deduced Matt wasn't a real cop when he was pretending to be one for L's investigation: 1) Since Light came from a police family he knows how real cops behave 2) because Matt didn't even turn around, let alone stop to help when Light's accomplice pretended to be injured like a civic-minded officer should 3) few police officers have bright pink hair...
- In Story of the Century, Original Character and First-Person Peripheral Narrator Erin, overcome with grief and anger and not the type to mince words, gives one of these to L at the end of the story that doubles as a What the Hell, Hero?! speech, when Light, Watari and Rem all die, and L is in the process of kicking Erin out so he can die alone, having written his own name in the Death Note to give himself immunity and to lure Light and Misa into a trap that exposed them as the two Kiras."I'm sick of feeling sorry for you. I'm sick of being scared of you. I'm sick of you. Both of you. You're just like him. You call yourself justice...but all I see in front of me is a monster, a pathetic hypocritical psychopathic brat that makes up whatever sounds good at the time so you always have an excuse to do whatever you want. You made that abundantly clear when we were messing with Yotsuba; I just made the mistake of thinking you could move past that. This wasn't about saving anybody, this was about satiating your fucking egos. Well lemme tell ya something right here and now you little punk-ass twerp: I don't care if you're the world's greatest detective and I don't care about your goddamn screensaver. Because that's all those are, a title and a screensaver. Take those away, t-take your money, your thugs, the notebook, the shinigami, people like me and Misa and Watari and Mr. Yagami and Matsuda, this whole lousy building away and what have ya got left?
"Nothing. Nothing but another trash-digging bum living under a bridge someplace screwing yourself with stolen restaurant spoons that no one would give the time of day to, never mind listen to what you say. Either that or locked up in a padded cell with a straitjacket. Yeah, that's what you are, y-you're just a bum with the mental capacity of a brain and stomach in pickle jars that got lucky somehow, only now your luck's run out. One of the saddest stupidest most repulsive self-entitled over-glorified bums anyone in this whole wide world would ever have the misfortune of meeting, and that's all you'll ever be. You and him, poor delusional dumb bastards! God, if you'd have ended up outright joining forces with the guy we'd have been better off.
"Oh why the hell am I wasting my breath? You're not listening. You've never listened, why should you start now? If it ain't something tooth-rotting it's no business of yours. That's the only way I can think of as to how you could let all those people die for nothing, how you could torture Misa and Mr. Yagami and make them watch Light die...I bet their crying must've annoyed you too. She was right about you. Sohelpme, she was right about you. You are a creep. Fuck everything I said before; Light's the only 'friend' a toxic piece of shit like you needs and deserves."
- The entirety of the speech is too long to post here. You would think that being L he would try to justify the actions he took, but not this time. His disarmingly graceful response to this withering if over-the-top assessment of his character is heartbreaking even to Erin. In fact, it's implied he was already aware of all of this before she lashed out at him.
- Xanatos has a troll giving repeated ones to Kira. He disses Light as both the second L and as Kiranote . Said troll is Matt.
- Isolde gets a pretty heavy one in Dragon Age: The Crown of Thorns when she makes the mistake of accusing the protagonist of being someone who has no problem with killing children. This is one of the very few things that can really rile the dwarven Wise Prince up. It didn't help that Isolde was constantly throwing blame around.How dare you imply that I have no qualms about killing a child? Your stubbornness and decision to keep Eamon out of the loop about Connor being a mage just killed everyone in this castle, almost killed Teagan and almost eradicated all life in Redcliffe! How many mothers worked here and are now dead? How many sons? How many daughters? How many children? How many men, women and children from the village died because of this? Massacre! This secret of yours caused massacre upon massacre and the fact I was here to stop the last one was pure coincidence! And then you come and lure Teagan here to share this fate! And all you can do is cast blame and mewl in this pathetic manner? How dare you try and weasel your way out of your responsibility for letting this happen?
You weren't thinking of Connor's own wellbeing when you kept his magical aptitude a secret from Eamon! You weren't thinking about his well-being when you hired an apostate to tutor him! You weren't thinking of his wellbeing when you repeatedly lied to your husband's face about what was the most massive thing in your son's life! All that time, you only saw what you single-mindedly considered was for the best. You convinced yourself it was for the best just so you could not realize how utterly selfish you were! You were never thinking of Connor's wellbeing, only about your own!
You handed your son over to the first blood mage that someone happened to stumble upon! And even though any sort of logic likely screamed inside of you the words "this is utterly stupid", you did it anyway! Because you would not 'lose your son to magic"! You say you love your child, but all you do is do what makes you feel better, even at his own expense! Instead of seeing him as your son, you see him as a means to feel better about yourself! All he is to you is an object that improves your mood!
Oh, I know you love your son, and that only makes it worse, because it means your selfishness overpowered that love. And that is one of the worst kinds of betrayal. You betrayed your own child and now he has become an abomination that killed hundreds.
- Alistair delivers one to both Eamon and Loghain in the short "Speaking Truth to Power".I'm a Warden! I grew up in your stables! I'm a serving-girl's son! I wasn't raised to be King. I wouldn't have the first idea how to do it. [The Warden] would be a better King than I ever could be, but he's a Warden, too! Wardens are what this country needs right now, or you're all going to die! I hate Loghain more than I can say, but [the Warden] made me see that it's more important to save the country than to seek revenge on one man. Yes, this is better: it's better to show him for what he is: a power-hungry old man, still fighting the last war, blind to everything else! We don't need him! [to Loghain] We don't need you! If my father were alive, he'd say the same!
- In the The Bad Guy Wins fanfic Reign, Frieza gives a very scathing one to Vegeta.Frieza: "Oh how I loathe people like you Vegeta. [...] A filthy traitor who thinks he has some sort of right to overthrow me. And you don't even have the common courtesy to die. That Super Saiyan ape might have vexed me, but you...you just insult me. [...] And you... Are an arrogant back-stabbing coward, who is incapable of acknowledging his own failures. You were sniveling to that Goku idiot back on Namek, saying that everything evil you ever did was MY fault. Well tell me Vegeta, do you know how many worlds and civilizations you've destroyed without my order? Did I tell you to destroy Arlia? Did I order you to commit genocide on the colonies of Ethrom? Was I the one who ordered you to decapitate the king of Verbu because he insulted your height? No, you proved yourself quite capable of cruelty without my input. [...] You see, Vegeta, for all the cruelty and death I or my family may cause, we have our reasons. Usually it's just business, trying to expand our empire or give territory to those loyal races who need it. Occasionally I'll mix business with pleasure such as right now. But the thing is, my dear boy, that's where the difference lies. I have motives behind what I do, while you... well you are just a thug like the rest of your species, despite this infernal notion of 'Saiyan pride' you constantly scream about. A violent and petty little thug who thinks that being a 'prince' makes him something special. In actuality, you were just a grunt your whole life, lower than even Zarbon and Dodoria before you started getting lucky. The universe would be much better off without you to stain it."
- In Tales of the Monkey Queen, Goku gives one to Majin Vegeta during their fight, having hit her breaking point with Vegeta's Saiyan pride and fixation with surpassing her.Goku: Oh, will you shut up?! Im so sick of this! All you ever talk about is your Saiyan pride! How you were meant to be the strongest, how you were meant to be better than me! Thats the craziest thing, Vegeta, you were stronger than me! I had to multiply my strength four times to be stronger than you, and I still needed Gohan, Krillin, and Sunos help to beat you! But I didnt let it bother me! You wanna know why? Because I never took anything for granted! I never just assumed that I was the best! Im glad Freeza blew up our stupid planet! Because otherwise, I might have grown up to be a coward like you! [...] What else would you call it? What would you call it when the second life goes any way other than exactly how you think its supposed to, you start to have a crisis? What do you call it when your life is validated by being strong enough to do whatever you want and falling apart when suddenly that changes? [points to the Majin tattoo on Vegeta] What do you call taking the easy way out when things got hard? [...] Do you want to know why I let you live? Not just because you were strong. Not just because I wanted to fight you again so that I could prove I could beat you on my own. But because somewhere, deep down, I knew that you could have been more than what you were. That there wasnt that much separating what I could have been from what you were. I wanted to give you the chance to better yourself, to prove me right. But if this is all you are... I shouldve just let Krillin kill you.
- In Freedom From Fear, Lena tears Magica to shreds when she tries to put the blame for everything bad that happened to her on Lena.Lena: How dare you? After all you did, how dare you claim to have gotten off worse?
Magica: You're living in a mansion, Lena. By definition-
Lena: YOU RUINED MY LIFE! Do you have any idea what you did to me? You...were...abusive. The things you did to me, I'll spend my whole life getting away from. Every other word out of your mouth was either a negative scream against me, tearing down my my will and confidence, or it was manipulative, something to get me to dance to your tune in the vain hopes of the smallest amount of affection. You used me. You manipulated, belittled, insulted, and gaslit me. You stole my freaking body from me! I was a child! I wanted someone to love me, but you never gave me even an ounce of care and compassion. I was nothing to you, just a tool! (at this point, Lena starts to tear up) I had to unlearn so much of what you programmed into me, and it's been some of the hardest things I've ever done. I had to learn that could be a safe place, that family isn't suppose to yell and berate you, that how I treated was not normal. I catch myself thinking about this or that awful thing, things about myself I know to be wrong but they still bubble up from deep inside without warning. I have anxiety and sometimes depression. I have trouble getting out of bed in the morning and I sometimes have to slip away to be alone, reorient my brain after too much is going on around me. And my nightmares...great Gaia, my nightmares! A lot of them are mostly shock value now, but there have been some nights where I am too keyed up from them that I can't go back to sleep. I just something something fluffy, usually Skadi, and sit by the window looking at the stars until morning. It's not healthy, I know it's not, but that's what it is!
(Lena turns to Magica with hateful fury in her eyes)
And the worst part about all this is that I can barely talk about what's bothering me sometimes. Not to Webby, not to the boys, not to Scrooge or Beakley or Doc Van Horn. Della gets some of it, but I still feel like the words won't come. And right now, it's all spilling out , and it's to you. And now you have the gall to stand there like I'm the one at fault? Bullshit lady! You tried me like scum, tore me apart, and tried to rebuilt me into a tin toy! I'm not going to apologize for striking back at an abuser!
Magica: I was-
Lena: BEING A HEINOUS BITCH! That's all you ever do! You're a pile of toxic sludge in the shape of a duck and your every action makes people miserable! But I got away. I still have scars, but I found a place where I can be safe and warm and loved and doesn't that just burn you up inside? That despite all you did to me, all those years of pretending to be family, that I found something better? That I survived your best efforts and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it?
Game of Thrones
- In An Empire of Ice and Fire, Ned gives a short one to Viserys about what his father Aerys II did to the Starks."My family, Prince Viserys, were loyal subjects of House Targaryen. However, when my brother and father pleaded with King Aerys about my sister, and he responded by burning one alive and strangling the other to death. My oath to him died on that day, and I can tell just by looking at you that you share his honor. More accurately the lack of it."
- In The Starks Endure, Jon gives an epic one to Randyll Tarly on his friend Sam's behalf. Bonus points for writing it in a letter that Daenerys commands him to read. Transcribed below for your pleasure.To Randyll of the House Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill from His Grace Jon the White Wolf of the House Stark, First of His Name, King of the Three Realms of the North, the Trident, and the Vale of Arryn, Lord Consort of Winterfell and the Dreadfort, Commander of Moat Cailin, Warden of the North and Protector of the Realm, greeting:
Perhaps this message shall come as a surprise. It may never have occurred to you that you may be among those I hate most in this world (at least, among those who still live). A lot of people have killed those closest to me. Some even killed me themselves. So hopefully you have an idea of my distaste for you if I count you among their rank. Or not.
Ive felt this way for years, on behalf of your estranged son, Sam. You may be shocked to hear that I count the son you terrorized and exiled as one of my closest friends and confidantes. It probably baffles you, Im guessing. Were both military men, skilled in arms and tactics. I suspect were both in the habit of repressing our emotions. Despite the length and effort Ive put into this letter, you may be surprised to hear that I myself am not normally a wordsmith. I prefer a blade to a quill or books, its true. Sam arrived to The Wall fat, scared, and hopeless with a weapon.
And perhaps the finest man Ive known.
Samwell may have been cast out by you, but I want you to know that now, he is among the most valued men to the King of half of Westeros. Scared he may be, but hes the bravest man I know. Not just because hes killed a White Walker, because he saved a woman and child from a terrible fate, because he faced an army of wildlings, but because he was so terrified while doing those things.
He was terrified to tell me about you, about what you did to him, about the Hell you made his life until he left. Do you have any idea what it says about what you are when the best thing you ever did for your son was send him to a frozen, criminal-infested outpost for the rest of his life? That he found more love, strength, and belief there than in your home?
Yes, he found strength and courage in miserable conditions, but that is no credit to you, My Lord. Im sure you cant really conceptualize that its actually because Sam found sympathy and support rather than mere cruelty there. Or that actual fighters found value in him.
See, I suspect the only idea youve really ever had is brutality. Youre lucky enough to have gotten by on that alone. Unfortunately, the world we live in tends to reward that, which is easily the worst thing about it. But it saves no one.
Sam wrote to me, by the by, and told me that Gilly let her wildling heritage slip. He told me of your reaction as well. Im sure your reaction to Tormund Giantsbane will be more restrained. After all, neither Tormund or myself are scholarly types who are terrified of you or impoverished young mothers without a home.
I want you to understand that whatever you may believe, you have nothing to be proud of in the pile of corpses youve produced. There are many great killers. Men everywhere, for eons, have been trained to accomplish the same things. The only ones who did anything special were the ones who applied these skills to try and make the world a better place, to improve and save lives.
You havent done that. Sam has, though. Even if he did bring a filthy wildling into your home in the process. I find it amusing that you consider the wildlings such a threat.
You see, if I were to weigh the numbers, it would be forces youve aligned with that have proven a greater threat to the people of Westeros than the Free Folk. Congratulations, Lord Tarly, you know how to kill. So can everyone else above the age of three. Youre neither singular, nor qualified, nor worthy to say a word against those of us who have managed more than just cruelty. The best thing you ever produced was the very son you rejected, and Im just glad his gifts are not being wasted by you any longer.
Sam was in many ways rich, fertile soil. But fool that you are, all you saw was dirt. Brilliant, braver than anyone Ive ever met, kind, resourceful, dutiful, inventive, intuitive. I was robbed of one of my best men and greatest assets when he left for the Citadel.
Id much rather have him at these talks than you. Somehow I suspect you wont prove to be of much use. But Sam would. He knows how to play politics, you see, and he knows our enemies, and hes read so very much about so many useful things. I really dont understand what youre useful for.
Jon Stark, King of the Three Realms
Post-Script: Suspicions confirmed! Thank you for going out of your way to prove me right. My Lord, youre a person who may know how to effectively produce corpses, but youve given no indication of worth beyond that. Throughout this whole talk, you contributed the least of anyone, I dare say, in this castle. The scullery maids have contributed more than you have. Despite your military record, the only thing Id ever trust you to accomplish would be making my own people hate me. In my lifetime, Ive never met anyone so proud of their own aggressive ignorance. I have no use for you. I have generals of equal and/or greater skill than you, and they manage their accomplishments without having a pigs turd where their hearts should be. I pity Queen Daenerys that she must suffer you as a vassal. Im sure she (and, if I have to guess, your family and subjects) is very much looking forward to your death.
Girls Und Panzer
- In ''Boys Do Tankary?, Vincent gives one to Maho regarding her treatment of her sister Miho. Then again, this disregards Mahos canonical love for Miho and desire for her to find her own way of tankery.Vincent: My poor Maho, I have grown tired of your antics. I'm going to put you on the defensive right now."
Vincent: "Is it true that you have failed to see what is most important to you?
Vincent: "Then why have you pushed your sister so far away? You know nothing about true family."
Maho: "Family. This is coming from a guy who has no family."
Vincent: [indicating his platoon and the Oarai girls] "They have accepted me. Much more than you and your school. All you want is perfection on the field and it's because you pushed your sister away because she was doing what she felt was right, is the reason you lost. It's that reason that you will keep losing."
- In Chapter 3 of Boys und Sensha-do!, Shiho gets one from her fellow members of the Sensha-dō Federation and the Sentōki-dō Aces Authority board.Lady Grey: Nishizumi-sama, the defeat of your school has led to an expansion of the sport. Surely this is a good thing?
Shiho: Grey-sama, the participation of such schools as Ion Dumitru, Népe Boarding School, and Mt. Zion in this Federation may be beneficial, but that does not take away from the fact that tradition is being trampled upon
Sakai: Nishizumi-sama, I suggest you reconsider your words. I have been searching for years as to whom you remind me of, Nishizumi... and I believe, at last, that I have figured it out. You, Nishizumi, are much like my superiors in the war. Clinging to tradition and seniority, believing themselves to be the ideal of our world, and all the while leading our nation to its own destruction.
Shiho: HOW DARE YOU!
Sakai How dare I? I dare speak the truth. What right does your school have to being the champions? What woman in their right mind plans to disown their own daughter for winning?
Woman: You, you plan on disowning Miho, Nishizumi-san?
Lady Grey: Whom is more honorable, the daughter or the mother?
- Akio gives a brief one to Maho in Chapter 7, unaware that all of Maho's efforts have been to allow Miho to live freely.Akio: If I had a sister, Id be there for her all the time. Not just when shes in the hospital.
- Soon afterward, Akio gives a longer one to Shiho when she comes to visit Miho in the hospital for the sole purpose of disowning her.Akio: The only one here thats a disgrace here is you, Nishizumi. Victory or nothing? If that was true, wouldnt Mahos defeat have been enough for you to give her a chance? Miho is twice the tank commander you ever were Shiho.
Shiho: I will not be spoken to in such a fashion!
Akio: Its the only fashion you deserve to be spoken to. Sensha-do isnt just about victory. Its about camaraderie and friendship. Miho faced your team outnumbered more than two to one and she won. With her leadership a team made up of inferior tanks bested yours with their King Tigers, Maus, and Panthers. She beat Maho herself in a singular duel with a Panzer IV. Why are you punishing her for doing well?
Shiho: That is not what Sensha-do is about, little boy!
Akio: GET OUT! If youre not claiming her as your daughter you have no right to be here.
- Akio gives a brief one to Maho in Chapter 7, unaware that all of Maho's efforts have been to allow Miho to live freely.
- In the fic Steel Carnage, Asuka gives one to Momo regarding her poor aiming skills, and to the rest of the team for keeping her around.Asuka: "Really? REALLY?! What the FUCK do you call that?! Why am I NOT surprised the cyclops aims like she's looking the wrong fucking way."
Momo: "What the hell are you talking about!"
Asuka: "You had one, two, three shots to make on me. Missing the first shot was understandable. But you missed when the Raptor was sat on its ass, just begging for someone to shoot it in its face. That miss cost Mallard team their continued participation in the match. Then later in the match you missed again when you were the only one who was available to stop me from knocking out Rabbit team too. Do blend your meals so you don't choke?"
Saori: "Hey! Leave Momo-chan alone. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it!"
Asuka: "Really? Didn't you just say if there's something bothering you to speak about it? Stay out of this, you didn't perform like shit, so this has nothing to do with you."
Saori: "It has everything to do with us! Momo-chan is a member of our team! You're bullying her!"
Asuka: "You're letting her stagnate and rot! That's ten times worse. Do you trust her to watch your back in a Senshado match?" [only half the team says yes] "Yeah, doesn't look so great now does it!? You're flat out lying to her."
Miho: "We're not! Momo is a hard working teammate, who never gave up or stopped acting in our best interest. She helped us when the school was about to close and fought with us in the finals. I have faith in her."
Isobe: "Yeah! She was with us when we were stuck in that hangar against Pravda and fought with us to get out of that jam! Where were you when the school was in danger?"
Asuka: "...while you were fixing volleyball posters to your tank, I was part of a deal between Engineering and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. They supplied enough funds to keep the school afloat for three more months and I became one of their test pilots. And now, because of that deal, I'm going to be representing MHI in Steel Carnage."
Yukari: "There's no reason to consider yourself representing anyone other than the school. Steel Carnage is just a rules test."
Asuka: "You think so? Mitsubishi paid for the Raptor modifications, not the academy. The Student Council records should confirm this. They want the Raptor to be in Steel Carnage, but you can be sure that they're not putting their machine out there to be embarrassed."
Saori: "BAH! This is completely off topic! You're trying to distract us with strange and scary sounding things while you make fun of Momo-chan!"
Asuka: "You're right, I am going off topic. Captain Nishizumi, do you have faith in her?"
Miho: "Yes I do."
Asuka: "Then tell me honestly, was she on the Hetzer's gun against Black Forest? [silence] That will be a no then. Some faith you have in her. I'm leaving. Clean up your act, or I'll find a team that has."
- In the fic Ten Little Soldiers, Miho does this when confronting the murderer, Sodoko, who lured the rest of the cast there and killed them while following a poem.Miho:"You're a monster, you killed eight people, do you realize your crime? You will go to jail for that, I know!"
Sodoko: "In prison? Ah ah ah. Didn't you read the rhyme? I'll just shoot myself in the head and it will be completed."
Miho:"I warn you, be careful."
Sodoko:"What are you gonna do exactly? Hit me? I have a gun. I can shoot you at any time. But I'll keep my ammo for me. Miho, it's too late for you. You took the others for granted. And again, you didn't try to stop me. So I could finish my job."
Miho: "What do you do now?"
Sodoko: "Well, it must seem obvious to you. You will die, and soon after I will shoot myself in order to stick to my poem. You see, I eavesdropped. I heard everything. The opinions of others have helped me well. Moreover, if I had this attitude, it was almost to force you to think. But you were so stupid that I gained ground."
Miho: "Don't say that... this is madness... MADNESS ! You were a member of the Public Morals Committee, I just can't believe that you've committed a so inhuman act... May your body rot in hell when you'll commit suicide, you just took my friends from me, you just maimed a team of its commander, you broke another, it seems that you don't realize what you're doing!"
Sodoko: "Even if I die, Pazomi and Gomoyo will find someone else. Besides, I had turned to them at a time. But I won't tell anything to you."
Miho: "Midoriko, you really are the worst junk I could find until now, you who respected so much the moral values, you finally have came into conflict with your own original intentions!"
- Girls und Panzer - International War Games,
- Early on, the male lead, Kenji, gets a visit from his father Hisao, who tries to apologize for blaming Kenji for a past incident (implied to be the death of Kenji's sister), but Kenji refuses to accept it. When Kenji insists he was just fine without his father, Hisao stops being conciliatory.Hisao: Considering that the skills you learned were the ones I taught you, I beg to differ. I had assumed that you had grown past this. That you had matured. I see now that I was wrong. You've let hatred enter your heart. And it will be your downfall. Until you learn to forgive others, you will never be able forgive yourself. And you will never be in control of your own life.
- After Edo bumps into Suzuki, they exchange these before Edo punches Suzuki, leading to a fistfight.Edo: Why don't you watch where you're going you stupid whore!
Suzuki: What did you call me?
Edo: I called you a stupid whore. You and the rest of your friends. You don't know what real combat is.
Suzuki: Oh, and you do? That's mighty bold considering you've been here what, a week? I saw you in that live fire drill we had. You practically crapped your pants. So don't be telling me about combat. Alright?
- Kenji gives one to Edo after hearing of the fight between Edo and Suzuki. After telling Sodoko to punish Suzuki, Kenji turns his attention to Edo.Kenji: Don't think I've forgotten you. Why do you show such a lack of respect toward our teammates?
Edo: Because they don't deserve my respect. If you want my respect, you have to earn it.
Kenji: Hmm... And tell me. How have I not earned your respect? How have they not earned your respect? They agreed to help us in our plight even though it was not their own. How could you possibly think like that about them. Do you think yourself better than them?
Edo: But I... their team won out of pure luck.
Kenji: You're off the team.
Kenji: You obviously can't work as a team, so you're off. Fired, so to speak.
Edo: But...but you can't do that!
Kenji: Indeed I can. For more than just this incident. Your test scores are lacking, your PT scores are too low and your marksmanship is terrible. And now this. Not only did you attack a woman, but a senpai as well. Members of my team are expected to show mature, and gentlemanly behavior. This includes respecting your team, and those appointed above you, no matter what. If you cannot swallow your own pride, I have no use for you here.
- Early on, the male lead, Kenji, gets a visit from his father Hisao, who tries to apologize for blaming Kenji for a past incident (implied to be the death of Kenji's sister), but Kenji refuses to accept it. When Kenji insists he was just fine without his father, Hisao stops being conciliatory.
- There are a couple in Abraxas:
"Did you stop and think, maybe have someone else take point? Someone who isn't like your own family? A real father would trust his son's abilities, but still do what he can to help him. I would have risked my life to save someone."
- Vivienne tears into Jonah when she works out that he basically sent a soldier who was Like A Son To Him to his death:
- Mariko tears into Mark Russell over his It's All About Me personality:Mark Russell: Do you realize how it feels to relive losing a child to monsters turning your home into a war zone?! How close I probably was to losing my daughter the same way I lost my son?!
Mariko: Oh, shut up for once and get in line, Russell! you talk like you're the only one who's suffered! What about everyone else who lost someone, or everyone? Do they not count? Just faceless statistics? What's so special about you that makes your problems so much more important? You talk on and on about how much you hate the Titans and how we should have killed them and blah blah blah! Spouting bullshit is all you're good for! And Graham — would you say she spent her life saving yours? Because it sounds to me like she wasted it on you!
- In Three Can Keep A Secret, Pacifica tears into Mabel over her All Take and No Give attitude regarding Dipper over the course of the series:Pacifica: I'm guessing Dipper asked you to try and patch things up between us?
Mabel: Oh, so you think just because I'm out of the picture for a couple of years and he gets all sweaty when you bat your eyelashes at him, you suddenly know Dipper better than his lifelong twin sister?
Pacifica: I know Dipper better than his twin sister because I actually listen to him! That's how I also know you so well, Mabel Pines. Dipper is always talking about you, about the adventures you two shared together when you came to this town the very first time. He was so excited to have you finally coming back. Dipper is such a strong person. He knows what his dreams are and refuses to compromise them, he's harshly intolerant of injustices, and he refuses to let anyone have power over him or those he loves. He's shown me an entirely new way of life, how to be able to live life without being controlled!
Mabel: Geez, you make him sound like some kind of badass action hero. Pacifica, my brother is an adorable nerdy cinnamon roll who sneezes like a kitten.
Pacifica: That's because you're his blindspot. Unlike with everyone else, he lets you and you alone control and belittle him. I've heard all the stories: You pick at his insecurities, like his height or his voice. You offered him support over his crush on that lumberjack girl then insulted him over it! As a reward for helping save your mermaid boyfriend, you humiliated him over the internet. You always have to have things your way, and try to destroy Dipper's things when he wants even a little bit for himself, from his disposable camera to his dreams here in Gravity Falls! But worst of all, you abandoned him when he was possessed by the devil purely to satisfy your own petty, selfish crushes.
Mabel: [uncertain] You're wrong! I saved Dipper from Bill Cipher when he was possessed!
Pacifica: After he had begged you for help previously, and you left him behind to wander as a helpless ghost while his body was relentlessly tortured. You didn't even take him to a hospital after! Do you have any idea how much that single incident hurt him? Did he bother to tell you, or did even he know on some unconscious level you wouldn't care? We had a scare here in town a year or so ago, when some lunatic was spraying Bill graffiti everywhere. Everyone in town was terrified he was coming back, and Dipper and Doctor Pines worked day and night to see if it was true, and if Bill could be stopped. Dipper stayed so strong for the entire thing, never taking a moment to panic or cry, just kept working no matter what. When they finally figured out it was just a lone lunatic and announced it, the whole town was ecstatic! I ran over to give Dipper a hug in relief, but then...he just, fell apart on me. It started with just some tears rolling down his face, but as soon as I asked him if he was okay, weeks of emotional exhaustion just hit him all at once. He was sobbing, shaking, and smiling all at once. He was so scared the entire time that Bill had returned and would take revenge on him, but he kept going even when it was eating him alive because he knew if Bill was back he'd come after you next. He told me he even thought, that he was thinking of...of...
Mabel: [sadly] Oh Dipper...
Pacifica: A week or so later, he confessed besides me, only Doctor Pines had ever seen him in that state, and he was hoping I didn't think less of him for it. I told him of course I didn't, and though he didn't say anything, it was obvious he'd been expecting me to mock him over it, like you and Stan do. And that's the worst part. Everything you've done to him, and he still thinks the world of you and blames himself for the problems YOU created. You've wrapped him so far along your finger that he blames himself for things that are nobody's fault but your own.
- The Gravity Falls: Once More episode "The Gossiper" has Dipper and Mabel tag-team Gideon after learning that despite Gideon's claims of turning over a new leaf, he still let the president of the Gravity Falls Bank coerce him into writing a series of unflattering articles about the Mystery Shack. This ends up invoking enough of a Heel Realization in Gideon that he shows up to rescue the Mystery Twins when they're being held prisoner by the aforementioned bank president later on in the episode.Gideon: Let me help! Ya know, just in case things go wrong! I can back you two up!
Dipper: No. Things will only go wrong if you're around. You could still be working for this guy for all we know.
Mabel: Especially considering you just refused to sell him out a minute ago.
Gideon: It was paid order! It was an opportunity!
Dipper: Everything's an opportunity to you, Gideon! But you never take a moment to think about what you'll end up doing to others! I mean, did you once think about us when writing that article?
Gideon: [smiles nervously] Well, to be fair, it has been four years since our last meeting.
Dipper: [facepalms] See? This is why we can't take you seriously. I can't believe I thought you could change. [exits Gideon's office] Let's go, Mabel.
Gideon: B-but I have changed! I'm not evil anymore!
Mabel: It isn't about whether you're evil or not. Maybe you're not "evil" anymore, but you're still just as selfish as you've always been. You're still a thorn in our sides. A smaller thorn, but a thorn nonetheless. [follows Dipper out of the office]
- Mabel gets another one in Suffocating where her argument with Dipper over him becoming Ford's apprentice plays out a little differently:Mabel: I don't want it to work.
Dipper: Of course you wouldn't. Everything always has to be what you want, doesn't it, Mabel?
Mabel: What do you mean, Dipper?
Dipper: I had to give up my chance with Wendy so you could get Waddles, who you only knew for a few hours!
Mabel: Pacifica was going to turn him into bacon!
Dipper: How do you know that? Maybe she just wanted to have a pet! Did'ja ever think about that!?
Mabel: You're being so nice about Pacifica, gasp, Do you like her!? Is she the new Wendy!?
Dipper: Shut up, Mabel! Why can't you take anything seriously!? And why do you always have to tease me about everything!?
Mabel: No I don't!
Dipper: Oh? One, you and Grunkle Stan made fun of me and I almost died multiple times because I wanted to be more masculine! Two, my job at the pool. I had to give up my job so you could have your first kiss.
Mabel: I was helping Mermando get back to his family!
Dipper: And the pool had the only cooler you could use? Or you could've just asked me to help you. And when I was giving Mermando reverse CPR you took blackmail photos! Three! We were supposed to solve the password to McGucket's laptop and instead of helping me, like you promised, you started planning a sock puppet play for a boy you'd just met! And you couldn't just let me work on it alone, no, you had to force me into it. Four! You almost got me and Wendy killed because you wanted to be "Mabel, Matchmaker extraordinaire"! That's just part of the summer. I could go on forever, Mabel!
Mabel: It's just teasing and having crushes, Dipper! Why can't you understand that! You've just gotta be paranoid all the time. When you were trying to get the password for the laptop you were barely sleeping, acting like some nerd zombie all the time. I thought you should-
Dipper: See! See! You couldn't have just called me a zombie or an insomniac. No, it had to be a nerd zombie, because anyone that has more intelligence than one would realize that all you are is selfish and suffocating!
- Harry Potter and the Rejected Path has Narcissa Black give one to Hermione that can basically be summed up as, "You are a stupid little girl who is too busy being outraged and self-righteous at our backward outdated ways to bother realizing that there are very good reasons for what we do."
- In Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, Harry delivers a cold and dismissive one to Professor McGonagall:"There's a picture in your head of a stern disciplinarian and you do whatever that picture would do, whether or not it makes any sense. A stern disciplinarian would order the students back to their rooms, even if there was a troll roaming the hallways. A stern disciplinarian would order students not to leave the Hall on pain of expulsion. And the little picture of Professor McGonagall that you have in your head can't learn from experience or change herself, so there isn't any point to this conversation."
- In The Dungeon Books, when Dumbledore says that because Harry grew up in a loving adoptive home instead of at the Dursleys' he has gone Dark and must be killed, he gets one of these from Sirius, and then from Snape, and then from Molly, after which the order unanimously expels him.
- In HJG: The Smartest Witch of Her Age Hermione is given one during an interview to the Department Of Mysteries about how not only is she severely lacking in empathy, but her immense focus on book learning means she's learned essentially nothing from everything she's experienced.
- In Fair Lady, an AU crossover between during the eleventh chapter. a still-young Harry delivers one of these to Tom.Tom: Does this form please you Potter? See how I have suffered for your interference? I, who once held the world in my hands, reduced to this pathetic form! Have you relished your fame boy!? So many years of work, destroyed, nullified, from a child.
Harry: I didn't ask for this Voldemort, You started this fight, just so you can hurt others.
Tom: Do you think these wizards know what's best? They walk around like children with a shiny new toy, they lacked insight. There is so much to be done with magic and they're satisfied with the scraps of potential they can squander with. I would have shaped the magical world in my image. Perfection, power, prestige. all of it was MINE. It was my age and you ruined it.
Harry: How dare you act like it was for the best of the wizard world. My future was set in stone the moment you walked into it. I could've had a loving family and friends galore. But you ruined everything. My parents died never knowing what happened to me. All for your ego. Don't act like you're some savior, you're a monster. that form you have is nothing less than you deserve.
- In The Very Secret Diary, Tom Riddle doles these out like candy to Ginny in order to destroy her. Ginny herself doles out a particularly biting one to him after deducing his past. It's all the more remarkable considering her mind has been enthralled to Tom's sick whims by this point.Ginny: Did you live in an orphanage?
Ginny: It was the picture. The one you did not mean to show me, months ago. That room with all the beds. It was not Hogwarts. And it was not a house. You said that you were an only child. I remember. You also said that you studied at home, but now I know that was a lie. I think that you did not have a home. And then I remembered that your father did not die until 1946. Which means he was alive while you were in an orphanage. So he must have left you. Why did he leave you? (beat). What happened to your mother? Was it a terrible place?
Tom: Oh, are we are back to Tom? And now comes a surge of pity yes, I feel it. God, how insipid you are. How predictable. How full of drama and tepid romantic conclusions. It was just a place like your sorry little Burrow, overrun with children. No different.
Ginny: You say that you can feel my lies. Well, you are in me so much now that I can feel yours too. And I do not feel sorry for you at all. I have been thinking. Harry is an orphan, and he is not horrible. And Prissy has everything she wants, and she is still nasty. So I do not know how much it counts. I cannot work out what is wrong with you.
Tom: Get. Out.
- In The Power of Seven, Dumbledore receives one from the spirit of Lily Potter when he summons her with the Resurrection Stone, only for Lily to criticize everything he's done in regards to Harry's upbringing.
- In Acceptance Pansy calls Hermione a Mudblood. Daphne responds with one of these:Daphne: You disgrace the noble house of Slytherin with your foul mouth and lack of respect. Magic is precious and all magical students should be held in equal regard. I know you only attack Granger because you feel inferior to her, which is true. You attack her because she is smarter than you and stronger magically than you are. The fact that you attack her makes you even weaker. The use of that derogatory slur shows just how unintelligent and unimaginative you really are. I for one am embarrassed to be associated with you. Heiress Greengrass can no longer consider you an acquaintance. You, daughter of Parkinson, are nothing more than a shadow. I do not see you, I do not hear you.
- The Fifth House:Godric Gryffindor: You are a disappointment to me. The House of the brave? Is this what my House has become? Loyal to no one but yourselves. The House of chivalry, and yet I see none of that here. Young Lord Potter here has year after year demonstrated the kind of courage and bravery that is the epitome of this House. And yet you look upon him as a disgrace. The looks of jealousy and distrust marked plainly on your faces. Professor McGonagall, what has become of my House? You, as its Head, should be the walking embodiment of the traditions that I hold dear. And yet you sit there, cowering, allowing one of your own to be held up as a sacrificial victim to the games of the Headmaster. Shame on you, shame on you all!
- In Time Travel? Really! Ron calls Millicent an ugly, troll-like Slytherin.Rose: You have no right, no right, to speak to anyone like that. That girl was simply trying to help you with your work that you're too lazy to do yourself. I've noticed your jealousy and envy over these past few weeks, and let me tell you something: it's pathetic. You stand there and have the audacity to complain about not having things, yet you seem to have no motivation to actually work for anything, you just expect everything to fall into your lap. When someone actually offers you help you throw it back in their face like a whiny little child having a temper tantrum.
You claim to be proud of your House, yet I see nothing brave or chivalrous about verbally attacking someone behind their back and laughing like an immature child. And you have the gall to accuse Slytherins of being evil?
Congratulations Weasley, you're finally going to be known as someone who stands out from everyone else. You'll be known as the little boy who can't think for himself and hurts others to cover up his own sad insecurities. I'm sure you're so proud of yourself. I bet your parents will be when they hear what you said.
- In Eternal Fantasy, Lucius Malfoy calls Draco a disgrace for daring to deal with Gaian magic and mingle with muggles, unlike the rest of the Wizarding World.Draco: You're as big a fool as Dumbledore. Your wand is failing you as much as mine did me, but you cling to it as though wihtout it you will fall into the abyss. I took a Mark because this world has power if you would just open your eyes to see it. Power even to cast spells from Earth. I still remember what you and Mother taught me. A Malfoy does not bow to others' whims. A Malfoy does not turn his nose up at power. A Malfoy does whatever is necessary to advance his family. Yet here I am, rich and strong, only for you to brush me off as though I am some kind of disgrace and at the same time hold your hand out for the scraps I deign to bring back to you. In all those lessons, you never once said that the power and influence "A proper Malfoy" should seek could only be that which you approve of and understand.
Jackie Chan Adventures
- In Queen of All Oni, Ikazuki gives one to Tohru, right before the big chi wizard gives a Shut Up, Hannibal!:"She was your comrade, and even now you seek to protect her. Humans with their senseless nobility. I could find it admirable if it weren't so pathetic," Ikazuki chuckled. Despite facing his fear and the nightmare that would soon descend on him, Tohru meet the green eyes.
"Yet humans defeated you once, and it's a human body you need now," Tohru answered shortly. Ikazuki frowned and smacked him in the face with his sheathed sword.
- Also, Jade delivers one to Paco, regarding his status as The Load and Tagalong Kid, which may or may not be a Take That, Scrappy!:Paco: You are fighting Yackie. But you are his biggest fan!
Jade: Heh, I suppose a towel boy like you wouldn't understand. I'm past looking up to Jackie; I'm looking to be better than him. In fact I always was, it's just age and a lack of opportunity didn't let me make that clear. Not like you, towel boy. I don't know why El Toro puts up with you trailing after him like some lost puppy. Guess he likes getting his ego stroked it's not like you're good for anything else.
- Jade's father Shen gets several — Jade herself calls him out on his years of Parental Neglect, one of her Co-Dragons, Left, tells him he was unworthy to be the parent of someone as great as Jade, and several of the heroes confront Shen about his decision to run away rather than help Jade.
- Wong gives one to Uncle for choosing Tohru, a virtual stranger in his home as his apprentice rather than his own niece. He notes by the strength of her failures that she had more than a little talent and asks Uncle if he was scared to cultivate a talent that leaned more towards power than control.
- Paco gives one to Hak Foo during the fight with his Mini Khan, calling out his Noble Demon facade as BS, saying he has no honor for being willing to sink to any depths for power. This is enough to actually get Hak to pay attention to Paco and try to kill him."You are a fraud! You call yourself a true warrior, yet you take pride in serving wicked men! You have no true loyalty, serving any master that can rent you! And you have no respect for true strength, eager to take the quick and easy path with dark magics! You have no place among the mighty! El Toro Fuerte lies struck down by a cowardly attack by your leeches, and yet he is worthy many times over. Because he had the strength to give up the false strength of magic, even after being its slave for so long. You, who would so eagerly put on the chains he broke free of, you must climb so high otherwise you would have to look up at even beggars like the miserable bug you are!"
- Hak Foo himself gets one later in the same fight, when he combines it with a Motive Rant — he tells Jackie that he's weak for fighting for others, and that with the Khan now at his disposal, he's going to purge such weakness from the world.
- Jade gives an EPIC one to Filler Villain Anton Mortimer on just how unimportant he really is to what's going on, especially compared to her. All while robbing him blind, at that.
- Several other characters do this as well throughout the story.
- Also, Jade delivers one to Paco, regarding his status as The Load and Tagalong Kid, which may or may not be a Take That, Scrappy!:
- Every time Daolon Wong mentions one of his past attempts at gaining power in an attempt to impress Tarakudo, Jade replies by mentioning how he screwed up in that instance.
- Uncle derides the depths Wong will go to for power, saying he doesn't respect Wong enough to hate him, instead pitying him.
- Ms Hartman delivers an epic one to Tarakudo when he decides to appear to her. Not only does she tell him that she doesn't approve of what he's done to Jade, but also deriding him as powerless and saying once Jade realizes she doesn't need him, he'll be left with nothing.
- Uncle gives one to Viper, saying he refuses to trust her like the other reformed crooks he knows because she continues to go by her thief's name rather than her real name, which tells him that she lacks the resolve to truely give that life up.
- The Ultimate Evil: During the climax, Shendu (who's been empowered through his newly-formed bond with his Other) prepares to kill Jade, but she retains the nerve to call him out of altering her friend and his love interest Valerie with the Book of Ages along with the reality.Jade: Whatever you've done to Val, I'll -
Shendu: Done to her? She came along willingly.
Jade: Liar! The real Valerie would've never done this! You've changed her, the way you've changed everything!
Shendu: And is she not better for it? I have made her a queen, she is mine, and everything is now as it should be.
Jade: It's not really her though! What you've done to her is unforgivable!
Shendu: There's enough of her in there for me to be satisfied with. The rest of her will come with time, but it is too late to change what has been done.
Jade: You don't care about her! You bewitched her, forced her. Everything about her you took from her to make her what you wanted. She's not a person to you, she's a puppet!
- In the sequel called The Stronger Evil, the Guardian of the Book of Ages gives a short yet concise TRYSS to Shendu and Valerie about how little trust there's between them even though they're connected as Others.The Guardian: You claim to be completed. But neither of you are willing to be one. It seems your journey to Tiamat must start with yourselves.
- In the sequel called The Stronger Evil, the Guardian of the Book of Ages gives a short yet concise TRYSS to Shendu and Valerie about how little trust there's between them even though they're connected as Others.
Kill la Kill
- From Kill la Kill AU, Ragyo gives one to her mother on her deathbed for the hell she's put their family through:Ragyo: How do you do, Mother? I am doing fine, thank you. Just fine, I should note, which is surprising considering that I was hit by a car when I was six, the day of my birth being the day that your life was ruined. In that vein, you say how I had hurt you, yet you never think about how you had hurt me. I was never to blame for your problems, instead, I had the misfortune of being born. I had needed you to guide, protect, hold, and love me, yet after I had grown teeth and started to walk, you left me to fend for myself, doing none of those things. Daddy never forgave you for that and neither did I, actually, that stayed with me for a very long time. Of course, I promised to never turn into someone like you and will try my best to be a good mother, not exactly perfect, I should add, but at least I try. When you tried to be a toxic influence in my life once again, I told you no, yet, you almost put one of my babies in their graves and drove one to madness. I don't think I could forgive you for that, seeing as what you did, for awhile, screwed us up psychologically. You're a monster, we will not deny that. I can tell you are curious as to why I even came to see you. Of course, I came to show what you've failed to destroy. You are dying and we rejoice. You've brought us misery and, now, that you are dying, going to be dead and gone, we feel relief. We are free, Mother, and never again will you torment us. We are finally free. Before I go and arrange your funeral, I must thank you for bringing me into this world and remember one thing as you go, the blood may run deep and, whilst scars fade, wounds may not heal.
- In a Calling the Old Woman Out moment from Cellar Secrets, Satsuki hands Ragyo good one:Satsuki:"You destroyed lives beyond any real repair and, fittingly, you've destroyed your own life. You destroyed Rei's with your abuse and a child you wanted to keep hidden. You also destroyed Ryuuko's, the child you never named and kept hidden, by keeping her locked away in a cage in a cellar, allowing her development and growth to become stunted. You didn't just destroy her life, you destroyed ours with your secrets and abuse. You hurt us and you're going to be living with that for the rest of your life."
- Later, in Chapter 14, Tsumugu tears one into a social worker, scaring her off:Tsumugu: "First of all, this young woman, Ms. Satsuki Kiryuuin has been nothing but compliant, even when you forced your way into her home and decided to interrogate a child, neither of which you had a warrant to do. You came here to investigate a tip about potential abuse, yet it is you committing the abuse with your bullying and intimidation, all and out, abusing your position. Look at her, Ryuuko is shaking and crying because is afraid but she isn't afraid of her sister be noted, she is afraid of you. Now, unless you want very much to lose your job, you would be wise enough to leave."
- Later, in Chapter 14, Tsumugu tears one into a social worker, scaring her off:
- What Ryuuko says to Satsuki in Secret Sunshine.Ryuuko: "I wasn't looking to see you at all. Let me tell you this, 'sorry' isn't going to fix this or anything related to this. Two years ago, you've abandoned us both and, in those two years, besides checks, you didn't show an ounce that you cared at all. You didn't ask about Kiko or me and, really, this is the first time you've visited. Let me make this clear, I didn't ask to do any of this but I couldn't bring myself to do what you did. No, I couldn't because, really, what did that baby ever do to deserve something like that? Nothing, fucking nothing. I guess the fact that I couldn't just dump her one someone else so she'd shoved from place to place without ever knowing she could be loved says more about me than you. You gave birth to her and then you ghosted on her, ghosting on me, too, right along with her. I'm going to remind you again, in case you, forgot, Bitch, that your actions affect more than just you and, as you already know, they affected more that just you. I sacrificed everything, everything, and you got to be selfish but, let me tell you this, I wouldn't trade the life I have now, with Kiko, for the life I could have had then, without her. I love her more than anything, more than you could ever be bothered to, and she loves me. I'm her 'Momma' and being her 'Momma' is what makes the whole thing bearable. Where were you during these two years? Nowhere important, out with your friends or whatevers. Out with your friends or whatevers, while I stayed home, stayed home doing things to take care of Kiko by myself. So really, how fair is it that you get to just show up after ghosting on us for two years, huh? How fair is it that you want to see the baby you abandoned when she was two days old? Whatever your reasons for doing what you did, well, they ain't good enough reasons. If you weren't ready, then you should have taken precautions but, no, you put that responsibility on me and ghosted. I wanna beat your ass and, if I knew who you screwed, I'd kick his ass, too. Now, you're pregnant again and I'm worried. Not worried about you, you'll be fine, I'm worried about the one you'll have because I've seen what you did. Got anything to say?"
- In chapter 16, she delivers another shorter one to Satsuki, after being hospitalized."You ghosted on her and you ghosted on me. To be honest, that hurt me more than you even realize. When we were kids, I was shipped off to elsewhere, while you got to stay. I never knew why I did but I never had reasons to think that you'd do the same thing that almost everyone else did. You're my sister, Satsuki. I was supposed to depend on you above anyone or anything else and you abandoned me, shipping Kiko and me off like some dirty secret you just had to keep hidden. Kiko didn't do a damn thing to me and I couldn't bear to do what you did because, really, who else did she have? No one and knowing that broke my heart. You ruined three lives because you can't get it through your thick skull that your actions didn't just affect you."
- In chapter 16, she delivers another shorter one to Satsuki, after being hospitalized.
The Loud House
- From What is a Person Worth?, a deconstruction fic on the episode "No Such Luck", has Lincoln snap at his family in the fourth chapter and standing up to and giving a very harsh (and cathartic) speech to his family for their treatment of him in this story, the episode and other episodes.Lynn Sr: Lincoln! Answer me when I'm talking to you!
Lincoln: No dad...I'm not apologizing...in fact, why should I have to say sorry to people who've been doing nothing but making me endure hell for the past few days? Or better yet, a damn good amount of my time as an 11 year old?!
Rita: Lincoln! That's no way to talk to your father, and you should not be using such language!
Lincoln: Oh stuff it mom! You want to know why I got rid of the suit? I was chased, [Points to Lynn] by her damn rival team because they were sore about losing their last game! I had to hide in the junk yard and I got attacked by dogs, tearing the suit up to pieces! Ever since I've had to start wearing that, that...fucking thing outside of games, nothing but pain and misfortune has come to me while the rest of you remained oblivious to it! And I'd be damned if I had to take it home just so this brat and idiot, [Gestures to Lola and Leni] can stitch it up again JUST SO YOU GUYS CAN MAKE ME WEAR IT AGAIN IN THE NAME OF YOUR DAMN SUPERSTITIONS!
[Everyone reacts with Stunned Silence.]
Lincoln: Oh and guess what I saw at the dump, mom?!
Rita: What do you mean?
Lincoln: I threw the suit onto a pile of burning debris. Said debris, were parts of my furniture, which you said you guys sold!
Rita: [uneasily] W-We did try to sell it, but the guys taking it accidentally broke it, so...we thought it'd be best to...trash it...
Lincoln: So that's it huh? You guys thought since I wouldn't be in the house anymore you thought it'd be ok to sell, no...throw out my stuff?! Why don't you just get rid of my clothes since I might as well be a complete stranger!..I probably wouldn't have found out if you girls, [Points to Lucy and the twins] actually realized I wasn't on the damn bus, SO THANKS FOR PROVING NO ONE IN THIS HOUSE CARES ABOUT ME!
Lori: Lincoln...we do care about you, and you need to calm down...
Lincoln: Oh please, don't act like you give a shit. Only thing you ever care about is texting your oh so precious boyfriend...you might as well be married to that phone considering how often you type on it!
Lori Hey! I'm not on my phone all the time!...Right guys?
[the family gives a sideways glance]
Lincoln: And the rest of you don't care enough to notice how wearing that stupid costume made me feel...you cared more about your stupid luck than your only son/brother!
Leni: Lincoln, that's not true!
Lincoln: You know it is Leni! Every time I suffer from an unfortunate accident, that suit would look brand new, yet I still have welts from bee stings! If you guys really cared, you would've done more than just one minute healing sessions, but instead, you continue to lie to me just so I can continue to be your stupid good luck charm! [Points to his father] You were even more concerned about that stupid suit than me! AND AN ALLIGATOR ALMOST KILLED ME!
Lynn Sr.: L-Lincoln-
Lincoln: Spare me your lies dad...remember when we thought you and mom were gonna kick us out of the house, but you were really talking about your tie collection? You said you'd never get rid of any of your children. Either that was a lie, or I'm not considered part of this family!
Lana: Lincoln, you are part of this family. You're my older brother for corn's sake!
Lincoln: That's funny Lana, cause if I remember correctly, my room was boarded up, I was forced to sleep outside, and even your brat of a twin seemed whole hardy at the notion of me not coming to the beach with you guys because I was 'bad luck'...I'll admit it was really stupid of me to let that white lie drag on for so long, BUT DID IT HAVE TO INVOLVE REMOVING ME FROM THE HOUSE?! WHOSE IDEA WAS THAT ANYWAYS?!
[Beat as the families Heel Realization kicks in.]
Lincoln: Just...why?...Why is it that every time I make a mistake, everyone is quick to jump on my case, but when the girls do it, everyone feels sympathetic and they have their backs?...Is it because I'm the only other guy in this house? Is it because I wasn't born as a girl? Is that it?...
Lisa: Lincoln, I can assure you that gender has nothing to do with it.
Lincoln: Really...then why wouldn't you help me fix this?...Are your studies that more important than your own family?... [Beat] Every day I go to everyone's events to support them, but there comes a time when someone needs time to unwind...but with a family as large as this, guess there's no room for privacy...Day in and day out, I can't even get a moment of peace before one of you girls barge into my room and try to get me to do something...you pranked me just because I wanted some peace and quiet... [Glares at Lola] I was forced to set off multiple pranks because someone had to invite Ronnie Anne over... [Glares at Luan] Got kicked out of my room twice and had a good day ruined because the two biggest blondes in the house had to fight over a dress...[Lori and Leni exchange a guilty glance] Had to take the blame for clogging the toilet just because a certain someone can't handle criticism... [Lucy hangs her head in shame] And speaking about the toilet, you girls remember that dare where we each gave up our annoying habits and we all learned to accept them?...That was a huge lie because ALL of you laughed at my Ace Savvy outfit! Not only that, you never cared that I could've failed 5th grade when you guys chased off my tutor! You also ruined my chances for claiming the sweet spot just because I didn't want to be stuck with a crappy seat or sit next to someone who'd annoy me for the whole trip! I know I probably ruined it by asking too many questions, but why couldn't you just let me have the seat...But nothing, compares to the amount of idiocy I suffered a few weeks ago... [Glares at Lynn]
Lynn: [uneasy] Lincoln...?
[Lincoln gets into her face]
Lincoln: You forced me to come to your stupid game despite the fact I gave a clear reason why I didn't want to go, and why I couldn't attend your other games, but no...you felt the need to threaten me with a bat! Then when you lose the game, it's somehow MY fault?!...I felt sorry for your loss, and yet you label me as bad luck! [Lynn flinches and he turns away from her] You're not a winner by any regards Lynn...you're just a sore, loser...
Lynn: [Berserk Button pressed] Oh yeah?! What about you Mr. I'm-too-lazy-to-exercise?! You asked me to play football for you just because you couldn't hack it!
Lincoln: Difference is, you agreed to help me, and I didn't even threaten you in the process! You loved every second of it! You were fucking smiling as you threatened to beat me with that bat, and then you have the nerve to say it's my fault you lost! Then you go on and claim I'm bad luck just because you managed to win your next two games?! Here's a lesson for you Lynn...Real winners, take losing in stride, and clearly...you're not one of them...
- In No Such Luck, No Such Love, a fic that Deconstructs Lincoln's Butt-Monkey status, Lori yells at him for leaving for school early in the morning and for not being there to help everyone else get ready, at which point Lincoln calls her out.Lincoln: I'm sorry that I'm my own person, I'm sorry that I'm doing my own thing, I'm sorry that I'm prioritizing myself, I'm sorry that all of you are so incompetent to get yourself ready in the morning, I'm sorry I'm not your slave! It's not my fault that half of you can't set an alarm properly, it's not my fault you all argue over the bathroom EVERY morning, it's not my fault that the roads are busy during the school rush hour, and it's not my fault that YOU can't control your sisters!
- Shepard gives a particularly vicious one to the Citadel Council in Chapter 36 of Mass Effect: Synthesis shortly before they are executed for attempted genocide against a Reaper-allied humanity using a bio-engineered plague made from experimenting on human slaves purchased from the Batarians.Esheel: You babarian!
Shepard: [pause] I dismiss that claim. Though, the term applies to you.
Shepard: You admitted to employing tier two weapons of mass destruction in an effort to exterminate my species. According to your records, such an action was banned approximately 1500 Thessian years ago. Additionally, you maintain that slavery is against Council law, but once again you show your barbarism, knowingly purchasing slaves for the development of a WMD. But also, you knowingly allied Council associate members to continue the practice. You, Councilors, are barbarians playing at civilization. You accept the laws that make civilization when they support you, but the instant they don't, you look the other way because that is more convenient to you. I, however, have not forsaken any of my rules. So which one of us is barbaric?
Esheel: You cannot do this!
Shepard: Of course I can.
[Esheel is executed on the spot.]
Shepard: Nothing further, Tevos?
Tevos: [weakly] Why?
Shepard: Why what?
Tevos: Why any of this? No matter what Saren would have had us believe, it's obvious we never had a chance.
Shepard: Your probes hit many of our colony worlds. Every human man, woman, and child on all of those worlds died. The C Eumans didn't but that was due to outside interference. Those humans were civilians. Farmers, crafters, merchants, people who just wanted to live their own lives. They never would have taken up arms against you. Their worldview, like most humans, was much simpler. Live and let live. You destroyed that. You killed them. I am Marshall Shepard Harbinger. I am the head of the Systems Alliance's military and it is my job to see to the protection of Systems Alliance colonies. Your attack probes meant I had failed. I take that failure personally and so, for those who cannot seek justice for themselves, the Systems Alliance has taken up arms. Your worlds will burn, your people will fall, because you barbarians of the Council willfully used weapons of mass destruction on civilian targets. You were never fit to rule.
- In the Uplifted series, Hanala to a group of Quarians on the Citadel for not rejoining the fleet. The crowd's reaction is justifiable however, given that the previous attempts by the Migrant Fleet were failed offensives. They understandably want nothing to do with whatever scheme the fleet has come up with.
Galina'Jarva: "The difference is that Hanala is Saleb's family. You are not. You will never be our family even if she marries you; and you will certainly never understand the culture of quarian child rearing. Saleb is the first and foremost concern of hers now. If you had a family you might have understand the concept of being selfless. But lo and behold, you're quite possibly the most selfish creature I have ever seen. You staked your pride and honour before the lives of others and you got everyone killed for it. You killed my son, you killed my daughter-in-law, and you ruined Hanala forever. Your choices have left you with no real attachments, and you have the GALL to stand there and say you know better than I!"
- Hanala's Mother's response to Joachim Hoch's berating of their responsibility to their child.
- Weightless: Mierin showed Garrus that he was not as good as he thought:Mierin: "I've been watching you for months. I thought about killing you. It would have been easy. You always pick the same piece of shit motels to sleep in, and your check in times are as regular as trigonometry. You eat at the same times every day, drink the same things. You may have had dozens of names, but your identity is always exactly the same because it's yours. No change in your posture, no difference in your step. You drink tea constantly, a dead give away. You have no concept of how to transcend your own personality undercover. You know the mechanics, but not the art."
"-And nothing looks more suspicious than consistently checking in the early morning and out at late evening. And never pay with a card you fool, even if the accounts are opened and closed in the same week. What were you thinking? You're getting it right by changing locations as often as possible, but you need to break up your habits. Painfully predictable. Not to mention that any additional layer of security over the place you choose to fade into only assists in keeping you unseen. Hiding only amongst the impoverished and addicted is a beginner's mistake. You need to be able to disappear anywhere, and at any time."
"You only see me right now because I want you to see me. You're fighting a war; a war in which you're outnumbered one thousand to one. The only way, the only chance you have of making an impact, is to become invisible in plain sight. Foolish engineer, you think you can do anything if you think hard enough about it, analyze it to death. No amount of thought alone will make you disappear in a crowd. It must be taught. It must be learned. I can see you're trained, but you are not a master."
- Later, Thane delivered another one for Garrus to call him out for just wallowing in the past and ignoring Shepard's attempt to reach for him while she herself was having a lot of pressure.Garrus: "How long have you been spying on me?"
Thane: "Spying? No. Not spying. Realizing"... "Long enough to doubt that you are doing anything here at all."..."Except stare into things better left behind."
"When your last hours come, on their fiery wings. Inescapable. Inevitable. Your gun won't save you."..."When you finally see, after your whole life..."..."The time you wasted. And you stand there, looking, into that impossible light, the light that leaves you behind...that claims all that you love, all that you built..and where she goes, you cannot follow..."
"You should have died that day...And yet you just keep breathing...Wasting."..."Every.Breath. Nothing. Nothing, will buy that time back. The time I watch you squander with every passing day."..."Do you hear me? Nothing. And you...you have everything...Everything...And yet, here with your thoughts and your memories of places long dead you waste the gifts of the living...No more...No more can I watch while you squander two miracles when there are some who would kill for only one."
"Go to her."..."She waits."..."For you."
- Later, Thane delivered another one for Garrus to call him out for just wallowing in the past and ignoring Shepard's attempt to reach for him while she herself was having a lot of pressure.
- In Little Star, a team of Exo Geni scientists had been overwhelmed by monsters that were people that merged (messily at that) with their alternate selves and driven mad, known as the Merged. Shepard and co arrived for a rescue mission. Dr. Harland, the lead scientist, proposed that the orb, which was the cause of the plot, should be used for other means. Shepard did not take this lightly.Shepard: Dr. Harland, Im aware your intentions are good. You made that absolutely clear.
Shepard: If you think that excuses for what happened here, dont bother. Youre lucky I said I would get you out of here. Otherwise, I wouldve kicked your ass the moment I walked in the room and had you arrested. I mean, you didnt find it odd that it appeared out of nowhere? The moment you found something was off, you went into studying it without containing it until it was too late. You sure do give science a bad rep. Feels great, doesnt it? Being the mad scientist.
- In Serendipitous Fate, Chloe gets two of these:
- The first comes from Marinette, after Chloe tries to threaten her to stay away from Adrien.Chloe: He doesn't need someone like you polluting his good social standing. You and him are on completely different levels.
Marinette: And I suppose you're on the same level as he is? Please. If there's anyone 'polluting' his social standing, it's you.
Chloe: Hardly. I'm the mayor's daughter the princess of Paris. Everybody adores me. While you're some dirty baker's daughter. Who are you to compare to that?
Marinette: Okay, one, you're not a princess unless it's the spoiled kind. Two, I'm not dirty and neither is my parents' bakery. And three, nobody adores you. You're a huge part of Adrien's problem.
Chloe: Hardly. I'm the only thing protecting him from pathetic fangirls like you. I'm his best friend.
Marinette: Nino is his best friend, Chloe, not you. And he doesn't need 'protecting.' All you've ever done is drive people away from him. The reason he doesn't have very many friends isn't because he's 'above' everyone else. It's because you hang around with him and nobody can stand you.
Chloe: Everybody loves me.
Marinette: Sure, Chloe. Whatever lets you sleep at night.
Chloe: Stay away from him.
Marinette: No. Adrien and I are friends and there's nothing you can do about it.
Chloe: You really think that?
Marinette: Uh, yeah, I do.
Chloe: I could ruin you, Marinette. I could tell him all sorts of things about you, until he'd never want to take a step near you again.
Marinette: Go ahead and try. He won't believe you. Nobody would. Everyone knows you're a liar.
Chloe: He'd believe me. We've known each other since we were kids. He trusts me explicitly.
Marinette: Hardly, Chloe. Tell him whatever you want, he'll never believe you.
Chloe: He will.
Marinette: No, he won't. Just let it go. You can't keep him all to yourselfhe's not some model doll you get to hoard. He's a personsomeone who wants more friends than just you. Not that I blame him you're a pretty terrible friend to have.
Chloe: Excuse me? I'm an awesome friend.
Marinette: No you're not. You're a horrible person, let alone any sort of friend. You're nasty to everyone, you're spoiled, you lie. You're downright cruel, Chloe. Nobody. Likes. You.
- The second comes from Ladybug a few chapters later, when Chloe is, as usual, at the centre of an Akuma appearance.Chloe: It's not like it's my fault he went crazy. I'm a victim here too, you know.
Ladybug: You're never a victim, Chloe.
Chloe: What do you mean? I'm always a victim. I feel like these akumas are constantly coming after me. Thankfully, you're usually there to save me, but-
Ladybug: They come after you, Chloe, because you cause them.
Chloe: Cause them? Doubtful.
Ladybug: Akumas happen because you make people feel bad. You hurt people, so then they get akumatized and go after you.
Chloe: Hurt people? I'm nice to everyone.
Ladybug: No, you're not.
Chloe: How would you know?
Ladybug: Because you've probably caused more akumas than any one person I've encountered. Hawkmoth creates akumas from the negative feelings inside people. That so many people have felt so poorly toward you says a lot about your behavior. I don't save you because I want to, Chloe. I save you because you don't give me any other choice.
Chloe: But... We've gotten to be pretty good friends because of it. That's worth it, to me...
Ladybug: 'Worth it?' There's nothing worth this, Chloe! Look what's happened! Innocent people are- are as good as dead right now! There's a poor, tortured soul being manipulated! People are in danger! No, that's not 'worth it!'
Chloe: None of that's my fault...
Ladybug: Yes, it kind of is! If you were more considerate of other people's needs and feelings, then maybe this would stop happening! But you're not! All you care about is yourself and what you want! What about- What about what Adrien wanted?! Do you think he wanted to be terrorized and chased around?! Hurt and turned into- into nothing?!
Chloe: I didn't do that! The akuma did! It's not my fault!
Ladybug: You caused the akuma, Chloe!
Chloe: I didn't!
Ladybug: Then how did this happen?!
Chloe: I don't know! I didn't do anything! So just stop yelling at me! Why are you being so mean to me...? I thought we were friends...
Ladybug: We've never been 'friends,' Chloe. Beyond anyone I've ever met, you cause both Chat Noir and I the most grief. It's our job to help those who Hawkmoth takes advantage of, and you create the perfect situations to give him power. And no matter how many times it happens, you take no responsibility for your actions.
Chloe: I don't-
Ladybug: You do! You hurt people, bully them, and show no remorse for doing so. It's my responsibility to protect people. How could I ever be friends with someone who cares so little for the feelings of others?
Chloe: It's not my fault that-
Ladybug: But you do hurt people. And that's something I can't stand behind. We are not friends, Chloe. And we never will be.
- There's a layer of irony here in that, while Chloe absolutely deserves this speech by now, the Akuma of the chapter is not a result of her usual dog-kicking, so much as the victim's misguided sympathy for her.
- The first comes from Marinette, after Chloe tries to threaten her to stay away from Adrien.
- The fic Satisfaction Brought it Back has a scene where Marinette is approached by Adrien's former boss Marcel Dubois, the chairman of his father's business, who asks her to persuade him to come back to work because he can't control the board without his support. When Marinette makes it clear that she has no interest in seeing Adrien go back to a job he hated and doesn't need, Dubois reveals that he can make things difficult for her boutique by threatening her suppliers and potential retailers, and already has.Marcel: If you ensure Adriens cooperation, I promise youll find the retailers of Paris to be a little more... sympathetic to your brand.
Marinette: Wow... you are such a dick.
Marcel: I... ex... you just... I-I beg your pardon?!
Marinette: Let me get this straight. You are the acting chairman of a multi-national corporation. You have almost unlimited power to shape this company how you see fit but you need Adrien to come back to work because you have the charisma of an avocado thats been left in the sun for too long. So instead ofoh I dont knowbeing a marginally less repulsive human being and apologizing for being the fashion industrys biggest dick-
Marcel: Did... Did she just call me a-
Marinette: -you decide to go behind Adriens back, blackmail his friends, and attempt to emotionally manipulate him into returning to a job he hates, again, working for the fashion industrys biggest dick. But the real clencher is that you thought I would go along with this psychopathic scheme which leads me to believe that not only are you-
Marcel: I-If you call me a dick again Ill-
Marinette: -the fashion industrys biggest dick. But you are a phenomenally stupid dick who lacks basic empathy and understanding of how actual human beings operate and relate to each other. Does that sound about right?
Marinette: You made your offer. Heres mine; you will leave my office under your own power or you will leave under mine.
- Back To Us has one delivered by all of the heroes directed at a hate group calling themselves the Anti-Akuma Taskforce, created by Chat Noir's newly ruthless attitude towards akumatized victims, which he had since renounced before rejoining Ladybug. After the group march on the scene of a recent attack and declare Chat a traitor to the cause and Ladybug a hypocrite and a Karma Houdini for the death of Hawk Moth seven years earlier, Ladybug steps forward and gives their leader a Death Glare:Ladybug: ...You know, I once pitied you. All of you. I thought your mistaken convictions were my partners fault my fault. I thought I had failed you, that I somehow fell short of your expectations of what a hero should be. But now I see you. Youre nothing but scared children, lashing out at something you dont understand in exactly the wrong way, making the situation worse than it actually is. So in the name of your justice, you terrorize the city I love in your own way with fearmongering and ignorance. And then you accuse me of throwing my weight around, acting like Im a hypocrite, when you know damn well that the difference between what you want to do to the akumatized victims and what I did to Hawk Moth is intent. I didnt mean to kill Hawk Moth. I was responsible, but I never wanted him dead. But you threw bombs into another citizens house for something he had no control over! If you think the akumatized victims are monsters, then what does that make you?
Bomb-flinging woman: Were not the ones tearing up the city and threatening innocent folks every other night!
Emerald Shell: Yes you are! Youre persecuting victims, damn it!
Another AAT member: Those people are inherently evil if they allow themselves to let a madman possess them! Chat Noir taught us that!
Chat Noir: I was wrong! Some of you have even been akumatized, for fucks sake! How are you not choking on your own hypocrisy by standing here and claiming that akumatized victims are inherently evil?! At least I realized that theres something wrong with this mindset!
- In Burning Bridges, Building Confidence: Chat Noir sitting on the sidelines during Akuma attacks because "Ladybug has to admit we're meant for each other first" before he'll lift a finger to help. Due to her digust with him, Cole, Marinette's cousin, assisted Ladybug as civilain in an Akuma attack which led her to become the new Fox miraculous holder (permanently).
- Chat subsequently attempts to lecture Ladybug about bringing Vexxin onto the team, only for Ladybug and Vexxin to give him a proper example:Chat Noir: "My Lady, you didn't need to borrow the Fox from the Guardian; all you had to do was admit we were made for each other and I would have helped you."
Ladybug: [scowling at his condensation] "Chat, it's your job to help no matter what. Paris should come first. I've told you multiple times I don't feel the same way. And Vexxin isn't temporary. She's permanent. Fu gave her the Miraculous yesterday."
Chat Noir: "But why?! We were doing just fine." [folds arms] "Until you kept denying our love."
Vexxin: "For someone who proclaims you were doing just fine, you sure don't contribute to the work. Especially considering I had to jump in yesterday. As a civilian with no powers. Even just now, you sat back while Ladybug and I executed a plan that we made specifically because you can't be counted on to fight."
Chat Noir: "Yeah but—"
Vexxin: "But nothing! Your inaction has caused the Guardian to take the risk of making a Miraculous permanently active! If we follow the logic, the next step he'd take would be taking your Miraculous. So either sort out your priorities or be prepared to be permanently benched."
- Ladybug confronts Alya after her outrage over being replaced as the Fox leads to her making wild, baseless accusations on her blog, getting akumatized into Rena Rage and outing herself as the former heroine:Ladybug: "Alya, you are in very big trouble."
Alya: "I kno—"
Ladybug: "No, you are going to listen and listen only. You have shown me time and time again that you are no longer trustworthy with a Miraculous. Today's events only confirmed this. You have betrayed me both in and out of my mask. Your blog has become nothing but gossip and unsubstantiated stories. Your pride has gotten in the way and has made you into someone unstrustworthy. Vexxin wasn't chosen by me because I can only loan out Miraculous. Vexxin was chosen by the same person who chose me and Chat Noir, she's permanent. She's staying. Before today, I wasn't sure if I could trust you with a Miraculous again, but today you not only proclaimed a Miraculous was stolen, you revealed you were Rena Rouge and claimed that the Fox belonged to you. You put not only yourself, but your entire family in danger. I wish I could say I'm sorry, Alya, but I'm not. You brought this upon yourself."
Alya: "Ladybug, please. I'll do anything, I'm begging you."
Ladybug: "No Alya. From now on, Rena Rouge and Carapace are permanently retired."
Alya: "But Ladybug, I—"
Ladybug: "Get back to school, Alya. We've wasted enough time here as is."
[Ladybug and Chat leave; as Vexxin follows, Alya spits at her.]
Alya: "You, you did this."
Vexxin: "No, this is on you, traitor."
- Cole gives a brief one to Kim and several other classmates when they attempt to intimidate them into 'apologizing' for things they never actually did:Cole: "I don't think so. I owe nothing to any of you. My respect is something to be earned, and you lot will never earn it. Once you stop thinking like a mob, then maybe I'll consider any of you worth my time. Now leave. Us. Alone. Id rather not have my IQ lowered anymore than it already has."
- Chat subsequently attempts to lecture Ladybug about bringing Vexxin onto the team, only for Ladybug and Vexxin to give him a proper example:
- to lose someone: Lila and Alya convince the rest of their class that Marinette has supposedly been bullying her, and they destroy one of her sketchbooks. After learning that they just destroyed various projects she had been doing FOR them, they try to convince her to recreate her work. Instead, Marinette reveals to them just how much her time is worth — that the projects she was doing as favors for them would cost thousands as commissions:Marinette: "There's your answer. Unless you can pay me more than that insulting amount, then no — I'm not at all willing to redo months of work in like two weeks."
Alya: "But— Haven't you done more complicated projects in less time?"
Marinette: "Yeah, sure I have — when they were required, or I was being paid for it. The most any of you have paid me for anything was... Actually, I can't think of any examples. Huh." [folds arms] "Why did you tear up my sketchbook, anyway? Don't deny it. Kim and Alix wouldn't have giggled the way they did if they didn't have something to do with it."
[Kim and Alix flinch, looking away.]
Alya: "We just... We just wanted you to know what it felt like for Lila, being bullied by you all the time."
Marinette: "...Wow." [slow clapping] "Wow. A plus execution there, guys, congrats. I am a fully reformed person and I will never say another bad word against Madame Lila Agnes Rossi ever again. Who knew that in order to make a bad person good, all you have to do is try and make them feel like shit? Truly, you have unlocked the answer to life, death and the universe. Please, tell me your secrets, oh great ones."
Alya: "Marinette, please take this seriously."
Lila: [fake sniffling] "I knew that it would be mean, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I just... I just wanted you to know how it felt."
Marinette: [in a Tranquil Fury] "I am taking this seriously. But I think I'm entitled to a little sarcasm when for ages, ages, I have tried to tell you that even if Lila isn't lying, following her blindly and not taking your own opportunities will hurt you in the end, when you believed that I would bully her for no discernible reason despite the fact that even though Chloe tortured me for years, I've never retaliated against her in any way, when you refuse to listen to common fucking sense, I think I get to be upset!"
[the others shrink away as her voice rises]
Marinette: "I haven't had a proper night's sleep in months, part of the reason being all the stress school and those stupid fucking Akumas around my house, and you want me to add to that stress so you can look pretty? I have yet to be paid for anything I've done for you, despite the fact that I've been promised payment for babysitting your little siblings, making baked goods, and designing and fixing outfits, and you want me to do yet more work for free that would cost thousands of dollars in a professional setting? I have yet to see a single dime from any of you, and yet Nathanael, despite being another artist and the one person I would expect to know the importance of being paid for your work, says nothing about it? I have done favor after favor after favor after favor for everyone here, and the most I get in return is a half-assed, afterthought thank you, while you're running off to play with whatever new toy you've just gotten. So no, I'm not redoing all that work just because you've suddenly realized how much I'm doing for you. I refuse to put myself through that much thankless stress again, not without a good. Fucking. Reason."
[she pauses to pick up her things and take a breath before returning to her original calm]
Marinette: "Feeling sorry for yourselves because you don't get to do a whole bunch of projects you were looking forward to is not a good enough reason. Apologizing to me so you can feel better about yourselves is not a good enough reason. Telling me you didn't realize how much I do is not a good enough reason."
- In Audacity, Adrien betrayed Marinette. He took the earrings and wished for his family to be whole no matter the cost. His other wish is for Marinette to love him. Marinette doesn't remember the previous timeline. Marinette lost her mother because of an accident and she is unable to leave Adrien despite him being a horrible boyfriend. Shortly after meeting Damian, she regains her memory and she is pissed when she sees Adrien.Marinette: "You bastard! I lost a year of my life because of you!"
[Adrien recoils, alarm and awareness flashing in his eyes.]
Marinette: "You took the earrings and you wished to not be alone, knowing the cost! You wanted your mother back so badly you wished for her to never slip into a coma. Did you think about the price of that wish? Someone else's mother in return, did you think about that before making the wish? Clearly you didn't, because now that I remember that night, I know that my mother was the cost. Your mother is still alive because you were selfish and wanted to keep your family together at the cost of someone else's. Not to mention your other wish; for me to love you. You were so selfish as to wish away my free will? You turned me into your puppet, stringing me along, cancelling plans knowing that the wish was still intact, and I couldn't leave you. You're a monster, Adrien Agreste."
Adrien: "I love you milady—"
Marinette: "Well that's a shame, because I don't love you. That's just a lie you made up. You took a page right from Lila's book, well here is the ending: it's over."
[Adrien backs away from the rage in her eyes while Damien marvels at it. Marinette starts to leave, then stops and turns back.]
Marinette: "The earrings, Adrien, give them back. Actually, you know what, give me the ring as well. I can't leave them with you, as you can't be trusted to be a hero, and I don't want to give you a chance to re-do the wish."
Adrien: "Sorry, princess; no can do. I won't lose you over a little mistake."
Marinette: "A little mistake? You actively chose to make those wishes, hell, it wasn't a little mistake, you manipulated me before you even made the wishes. By god, it wasn't a little wish either: you traded a life for your mother's. You have to live with the guilt and shame of that, Adrien, and of course you'd view it as a small mistake as well. You're a self-centered coward with no regards for anyone else. You cost me my mother and my free will." [slugs him in the stomach]
- The One to Make It Stay:
- In the side-story Hearing Only Yourself, Plagg confronts Adrien about his persistent pursuit of Ladybug, with Adrien mulishly complaining that he 'used to be fun'.Plagg: "Kid, there's a major difference between 'fun' and 'unwanted harassment', especially when it comes to love. Fun is a two-way street where all parties enjoy themselves, while harassment is continued even when it's made clear it's not welcome at this party. And you were kicked out a while ago."
- Ladybug gives one to Chloe in All the Laughs We Had in the Past:Ladybug: "Another chance? Chloe, youve been given plenty of chances to clean up your act! That one girl you bullied for four years threw you a party after saving the city! Your teacher has been nothing but patient with you, punishing the victims of your actions! I allowed you to keep the bee because I thought being a hero would force you to become a better person, with or without the mask. And yet, you continue to harass other people, and then expect Ill give you the bee when theyre nearly akumatized? Someone who is so entitled, stubborn and cruel cannot be a hero. Youre off the team, Chloe."
- This is swiftly followed by Chat Noir getting one of his own after he attempts to blame everything on Ladybug and guilt-trip her into doing what he wants. Ladybug is having none of it, and calls him out on his Moral Myopia:Ladybug: "Maybe if you actually acted like a partner, and treated our teammates with respect, I would have given your opinion more consideration. Why is it that I have to entertain what you want, but when I tell you to back off and stop hitting on me, you get to act like I'm being unreasonable?"
- In the side-story Hearing Only Yourself, Plagg confronts Adrien about his persistent pursuit of Ladybug, with Adrien mulishly complaining that he 'used to be fun'.
My Hero Academia
- Izuku gives a surprisingly calm and understanding (but no less cutting) one to Bakugou in The Handling of Ash, saying that Bakugo's ego and need to be the best makes him unsuited to be a hero, and that any sort of loss or failure might end up breaking him.Izuku: "I'm not afraid of you, Kacchan. I'm only afraid for you."
- In Conversations with a Cryptid, Hisashi Midoriya has hated Bakugou for a long time due to the latter's cruel treatment of his son Izuku through most of their lives. So when Bakugou is alone and defenseless during his hospitalization after Hisashi publicly strangled him, he verbally tears Bakugou a new one:Hisashi: You havent noticed, Bakugou? Youre the most disliked person in your class. One of the best achieving, yet they have nothing but contempt for you. For your attitude, for your mannerisms, for your complete lack of social skills....For your lack of control and temper. Youre a liability, which is why you failed and they succeeded.
Bakugou: Fuck off. You dont know anything.
Hisashi: What an excellent view. We must be on, what, the tenth story? I know plenty Bakugou. I know that your father was so worthless that your mother had to chase him. That hes a spineless, pathetic wimp thats at the beck and call of his emotionally abusive wife. That not once in all your years has he ever defended you from her stupidity about strength and weakness, as though she were a chimpanzee frolicking about in the jungle as opposed to a functional human being raising a vulnerable child.
Bakugou: I turned out fine.
Hisashi: Oh? Is that why my son beat you in your first combat simulation? Is that why he had his provisional licence before you? My disadvantaged boy, so new to the world of violence, still surpassed you. Its almost like theres more to life than having a Quirk and money. For all that my son once lacked, he still had more than enough substance to his personality to utterly destroy you in all the ways that matter.
Bakugou: Deku is as fucking useless as he always will be. Nothing can fucking change that.
Hisashi: Ah, Bakugou, remember what I said about calling my son that name?
Hisashi: [Grabs Bakugou by the neck]
Hisashi: This Bakugou, is why Tomura saw such likeness to himself in you. Another spoilt, emotionally driven brat whod step on others to achieve their goals. A menace to society.
- In The Devil of UA, Izuku, who has gone blind due to an accident stands up to Bakugo on the first day of School, and tells him the reason nobody likes him is because he's a self-absorbed asshole with a chip on his shoulder who thinks the world owes him everything and never takes responsibility for anything he does. He even threatens Bakugo that if he ever says anything about Izuku's mother again, he'll beat the hell out of him.
- During Kingpin VS Paragon in Hero Class Civil Warfare, Kingpin turns the fight into a Battle in the Rain and easily controls the flow of the fight; redirecting Paragon's explosions and actually destroying a gauntlet with his hat. Paragon has pretty much lost the fight after that and Kingpin uses the opportunity to deliver this and a brutal Curb-Stomp Battle:Kingpin: You know, I find the irony here almost cathartic. Not because you're the hero and I the villain, but because this exercise has proven something Ive always believed. I know that you are obsessed with being "Number One." I know you think that heroism is a competition, that being the best means something. Being Number One? It never mattered in the same way to me. I appreciate the title, the meaning behind the words. There are heroes and there are villains. That's the fight you should worry about. Number One? It's a joke. A public opinion piece ran by gossip magazines that worry more about sales than merit. Id rather be a "Symbol of Peace."
- Bakugo gives an especially cruel one to Izuku, after the manifestation of Riley's Quirk drives a wedge between them.Bakugo: Hey, Deku. Lose your girlfriend?
Izuku: Shut up, Bakugao.
Bakugo: Whoa, hit a nerve. Ah dont feel so bad, Deku. Anyone could see this was coming. It was obvious he only hung out with you because you were the only loser as sad as he was.
Izuku: Shut up, Bakugao.
Bakugo: Ooh, getting some SPUNK are we? Better pull that back in, DEKU. You havent even got that dog-faced loser to have your back anymore. Hes no big deal to me— he got his Quirk, so what? But even he wasnt going to let a useless Deku hanger-on drag him down. Face it, Midoriya, everythings back to the way it was. Hes just another Extra that walked off-stage... and youre a worthless DEKU, all alone. Later, loser.
- Aizawa's threat to expel Midoriya for getting last place on the Quirk Apprehension Test, as well as the fact that he actually did expel his entire class last year, results in him getting called on the carpet by Principal Nedzu and the rest of the UA faculty.Aizawa: I did them a favor. If they couldnt handle a little difficulty—
Nedzu: Oh really? Lets review what happened to the last group on whom you showered this particular benevolence. [puts down a folder and opens it up] Lets start with the 20 students you expelled a couple of years back... Six of them applied for transfers to our competitors, graduated and went on to become Pro Heroes. Four of them overseas. They are all on record as disparaging U.A. to the press as having an undeserved reputation, by the way... Six of them were unable to complete their education and are now struggling as minimum wage workers. four more of them dropped out completely and now have criminal records as Villains. And five of them committed suicide.
Aizawa: I judged them as not having enough potential to be proper Heroes, and I stand by that decision—
Nedzu: That was not your decision to make! They proved their potential when they passed the gauntlet of the admissions exam. Your job was to bring that potential out, to nurture it, to teach them how to use their Quirks become Pro Heroes. Instead you decided to become an obstacle, a hindrance, a threat that the students had to somehow overcome just to secure their futures. On paper, youre an excellent teacher. On paper, the students who graduate from your class are of the highest quality and go on to be great heroes. The reality, however, is anything but. You maintain your high evaluations by expelling countless promising young students, and keeping the remaining handful of gifted prodigies whom you barely have to exert yourself training, artificially puffing up your own accomplishments as a teacher. Youre constantly pulling your little logical ruses on them, turning them untrusting and paranoid toward you and by extension toward the rest of staff. Your personal appearance is slovenly, your attitude is deplorable and youre constantly sleeping in your own class! Your eccentricities have been tolerated for far too long, and it has now been conclusively demonstrated that they harm this institution more than they help. You may be a fairly excellent Pro Hero, but you are a ruinously substandard teacher, and it has once again fallen to someone else to clean up the damage you have done. You may consider yourself on unpaid suspension until further notice.
- Bakugo gives an especially cruel one to Izuku, after the manifestation of Riley's Quirk drives a wedge between them.
- Consequences is pretty much nothing but Inko Midoriya giving Bakugo one long "The Reason You Suck" Speech after Deku is Driven to Suicide by Bakugo's bullying.Inko: You know... My little Izuku was all I had ever since his father went abroad. He was always smiling, full of happiness, gets excited on hero news. Then the moment came when he met you, he thought you were so cool with your explosive quirk. That you'd make an amazing hero with it. His world seemingly brightened even more the moment you came to his life. Izuku just wanted to be friends with you. He was so fond of you that— that he kept on rambling about you. Everyday, every night. Every moment that he found an opportunity to talk to me about your awesomeness. But then you were heartless. He knew his father cut off all his ties with him the moment the doctor announced his quirklessness. The harsh realization of it caused him great sadness. But that suffering was enough right? No! You and everybody had to rub it in his face of his disability or whatever you call it! All he wanted was to be friends with you! His desire to be friends with you put him on the edge of a cliff! And you pushed my Izuku, my Izuku, sucking, destroying, and putting out the life out of him!! You could have done better as a person Katsuki.
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- In the AU Fic Actually, I'm Dead, after going through a brutal Trauma Conga Line and being turned into a Lich, Trixie is not in the mood to hear Rainbow Dash's harassment of her, and calls her out on being Not So Different. This turns out to be a Batman Gambit on Rainbow's part, to help Trixie get some fight back in her, while she was coming close to the Despair Event Horizon.Trixie: Now who's the pompous braggart? You would float there and accuse Trixie of flaunting her skills, you hypocrite. Admit it, you were there only to reassure yourself in front of others by beating up Trixie. You came not to watch that day, but to try and upstage Trixie at her own show, heckling and even openly insulting me in front of others.
Rainbow: Hey! Thats not how it was, I was—
Trixie: You were in the front row! If it wasnt to appreciate the show, it was to make sure Trixie heard your insults. If Trixie's mere presence is enough for you to react that way, then she looks forward to the day you encounter your own first hecklers, because you'll leave rainbow colored skid marks out the front door when the Wonderbolts throw you out afterwards!
Rainbow: Oh yeah? At least I can live up to what I say. You're all bark but no bite.
Trixie: Trixie answered every challenge thrown at her, by earth pony, unicorn, and pegasi alike. The only one she couldn't that day was the Ursa, and that was because it was a fiction ludicrous enough she didn't expect any pony in their right mind would try and get her to prove it.
Rainbow: Don't let your muzzle make boasts your magic can't back up.
Trixie: And you've never failed to live up to your boasts, right? Or just the ones you didn't make against Trixie? You know what, Trixie's sick to death of ponies like you passing judgement on her! Treating her as something inferior! You think because I am roani I deserve to be judged lesser than everypony else?! Well guess what, Trixie is as good as you, and Trixie refuses to be treated as your inferior!
Rainbow: Hey... hey, mare— Calm down and—
Trixie: Trixie will not calm down! And you! You come here, so full of yourself being the 'good one' who has to take a shot on the 'vile and villainous' Trixie. Sure, because being homeless, starving, ostracized, and pretty much hated by everypony else was not enough for you. Trixie would stay and see, only out of morbid curiosity, what kind of excuses do you have to cover your flank, but I have better things to do with my time, which I plan to do as far as possible from you. Farewell, and may the gods have mercy on you.
- In the oneshot fanfiction, Adored, years after the failed invasion of Canterlot, Queen Chrysalis has grown indolent and inept in running her kingdom. However, she grows concerned when she no longer senses the love and adoration of her subjects. She goes to Princesses Celestia and Luna for council when her own advisors prove unhelpful. Their conversation, naturally, turns heated quickly and the majority of this section of the story turns into a whole reason you suck speech from both princesses. First is Celestia, who sums her up as an cruel, unfeeling and empty husk of a creature unable to even comprehend love, made so by the abuse at the hooves of her cruel father, King Thorax the Terrible. However, Luna, whilst shorter, certainly delivers a more cutting speech after Chrysalis attacks Celestia, enraging Luna, who then proceeds to fight and beat the crap out of the Changeling queen.Princess Luna: I'm immortal, do you understand that? I have done horrible things in my lifetime, your highness, and even Celestia has done things she has regretted. And I will have to live with all them forever. But you... you get to die. That's the worst part. You have tormented my kingdom and used and abused your own subjects to the point you're driving them from your lands. And soon you'll have a child, bully all the love and compassion out of her like your father did to you, and then you'll die, knowing everything will continue when you're gone. You'll be buried and be nothing more than a portrait in the palace, but at least you won't have to pay for all you've done. Well, you know what, Chrysalis? I wish you could go on living forever, as the unloved, unfeeling, empty monster you are in the living nightmare you and your forefathers have made on this planet! I hope you live forever, you bitch.
- After the guards' unprofessional handling during Applebloom: Transform and Roll Out, Shining tears into the Commander.Shining Armor: So what, Commander? You just assumed that we were dealing with a changeling when they didn't immediately agree to the spell? You just assumed that they were brainwashed and would just try and dissuade you by saying she wasnt a changeling over and over again? You didnt even give them a chance to explain that maybe there may be other circumstances to take into account? You didnt give them a chance to share information that may have been vital to their safety and yours? We give them a chance to explain so that the exceptions can tell us what's going on and we can judge the situation and react accordingly! Just because you had to cast the spell doesn't mean you should just barge into places and start casting spells on ponies without giving them a chance to talk! Theres holding to the letter of the law and holding to the spirit of it, Commander! Our job is not just to keep ponies safe, but to make sure they feel safe, Commander. Ponies need to feel safe and comfortable around us so that they can come to us with their problems and we can work to help them! How can we expect ponies to feel safe and comfortable around us when we arent letting them get a word in edgewise? What kind of picture does it send when we start barging into schoolhouses, casting spells willy-nilly, and then carting off schoolfillies and teachers to the Canterlot dungeons because were apparently too lazy to handle it in house?! How are we supposed to protect them when that obviously sends the message that we are more dangerous than the criminals and the monsters?! How are we supposed to protect ponies when the skittish, hysterical actions of our privates clearly show ponies that were a bunch of incompetent, cowardly rookies that cant handle a sick manticore cub?!
- In The Blueblood Conspiracy, Rarity goes crazy after being asked to help hook up Prince Blueblood and the Great and Powerful Trixie, and becomes obsessed with getting revenge on Blueblood for both his behavior at the Grand Galloping Gala in the episode "The Best Night Ever" and for trying to ruin her reputation in the prequel fic "Blueblood Returns". She crashes the wedding disguised as "the Phantom Mare" and tries to force Blueblood to apologize for both events. While Blueblood is quick to apologize for plotting against Rarity, he refuses to apologize for his behavior at the Gala, shooting back that Rarity should be ashamed and accusing her of being just another shallow Gold Digger who only saw Blueblood as a Prince Charming fantasy and Meal Ticket and wasn't interested at all in the person behind his royal facade.Blueblood: Nearly all my life, I have been the dashing prince. The dream of noblemares everywhere. The most eligible bachelor in all Equestria. A prince that Miss Rarity had attempted to claim for her own. And, like all the other mares, she had forgotten one thing. A vital, very important, thing. Do you know what that thing was?
Phantom Mare/Rarity: [now scared out of her mind because of Blueblood's previous Tranquil Fury] Why, surely it must have been what a foal he was?
Blueblood: SHE DID NOT KNOW ME! And neither did she care! To her, I was just a silly idea! A fantasy! A prince intended to whisk her away to a land of fairy tales; to make her a princess. But, I ask you: how? How could that have ever been anything but a loveless relationship between a selfish, self-centered witch and her hapless trophy husband?
- A Brother's Promise a Recursive Fanfiction of Princess Trixie Sparkle is basically Shining Armor giving an extended TRYSS to Trixie for everything she put his little sister Twilight through in the last story and for thinking she could not only be so Easily Forgiven as she was, but treated as a hero for fixing a problem that was largely her fault and it really seems to get to her:Shining Armor: Let me tell you right now, young mare, you are very, very, VERY lucky that my sister isn't one to hold grudges. And even more so that you somehow managed to con your way into getting the Element of Forgiveness.
Trixie: Con?! Trixie Earned this Element!
Shining Armor: And that element is the only reason you aren't being held in a dungeon for your crimes. Willingly aiding an enemy of the crown, using not one, but two illegal magical items, using said illegal magical items on royalty, impersonating royalty, abuse of authority, not to mention willing supplying said enemy of the crown with said illegal magical item! Hell, if we had let the justice system do its work, it would've been a miracle just to have you beheaded! Because trust me, that would be merciful compared to half of the punishments that could be carried out for your actions!
Trixie: N-Now hold on a second! Trixie understands that she did many horrible things, but Trixie has made up for them hasn't she? Trixie saved Fluttershy from that Manticore!
Shining Armor: And tell me, would Fluttershy have been in danger if she were back in her own body? Probably, but at least she would've been able to use her natural talent to calm it down! But because of your little stunt with the gem, she couldn't!
Trixie: T-Trixie admits that the situation would have gone differently had she not used the damn gem... but Trixie still cooperated with Twilight and her friends when the true threat made itself known!
Shining Armor: Yes, you did, all the while openly acting like you have nothing to apologize for or even feel guilty about. You even had the nerve to demand that you be let go after all was said and done!
Trixie: Was Trixie helping save Equestria not enough?!
Shining Armor: Yes, you saved Equestria from a threat that you technically made even worse! What made you think giving Astelle that amulet was ever going to work out in the end?! And where exactly did you get the idea to believe that you had ANY right to act like WE were the ones who should've been asking for forgiveness for not believing you?! YOU DID NOTHING BUT LIE AND MANIPULATE TWILIGHT AND HER FRIENDS SINCE THE WHOLE SITUATION STARTED! WHY SHOULD WE HAVE BELIEVED YOU?!
(Trixie looked down at her hooves in shame. Thinking back to that moment where she had practically doomed all of Equestria by handing the amulet over to Astelle. "Celestia had been right there, if she wanted to, she could've just called her to take me away. I continuously acted like I was more entitled to her status as royalty... and yet she had done everything to earn it while I simply expected it to be handed to me...")
Shining Armor: When Twilight told me and my wife that you had locked her in the dungeons, all the while cruelly mocking her about how you were going to keep her there for the rest of her life along with her friends... I saw my little sister break down in tears. She tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, not once, but twice: the first time after you used that amulet, and the second time when you used it to swap bodies with her. You threw her kindness and generosity back in her face.
(Trixie looked away, the incident replaying over and over in her mind, those cruel words she said, the way she taunted Twilight and manipulated her. She shivered, she really had been a monster that whole time. A selfish, egotistical monster who bit the hoof that gave her a second chance that she hadn't earned. As she looked up at Shining Armor that guilt only increased when she realized something: he was crying.)
Shining Armor: Do you have any idea what it was like to look down at my sister as she explained everything that happened to her because of you? To know that she was suffering, that she was terrified, broken and alone, and I was unable to do anything about it?! It hurt me as a brother. Because, once again, I was unable to do anything for her while she suffered, I felt more ashamed of myself than I did during the changeling invasion!
Trixie: Shining... I, I didn't know-
Shining Armor: "Was there ever any doubt?" After all, when does the Great and Powerful Trixie think about anyone other than herself? After all, if the situation doesn't pertain to you or benefit you in someway, why should you care?
(Trixie remained completely silent, she really had nothing to fall back on. No matter how many time she played the scenario in her head, the fact that it was mostly her fault didn't change. She was brought out of her thoughts when she noticed Shining getting much closer to her. She instinctively took a few steps back, only to realize that she was backed up against the wall.)
Trixie: W-Wait, I-
Shining Armor: You may have everyone else buying your whole "Element of Forgiveness" stunt. But know this: as far as I'm concerned, you're still that selfish self-absorbed mare who tried to ruin my little sister's life, despite her showing you nothing but kindness. And I'm warning you right now. You take one step backward, one slip-up, give me one good reason to think you might hurt my little sister again, physically or emotionally, and I will put. You. Down. Right then and there. Permanently.
(Trixie could only shiver and she stared up into his eyes. These weren't just the eyes of an overprotective big brother, these were the eyes of someone who'd been trained to kill and wouldn't hesitate to take her life in a heartbeat.)
Shining Armor: Do I make myself abundantly clear!?
Trixie: [Nervous nod]
Shining Armor: Good. Now, I suggest you clean yourself up and get back to the party, Pinkie wants you to be there when they cut the cake. This conversation never happened. Oh, and thanks for helping save Equestria.
- In Circus Days, Spike rips one on the Mane Six for abandoning him YET AGAIN at the circus, recounting the times he's been absent in most episodes.Spike: YOU LIE! NONE OF YOU CARE ABOUT ME AT ALL AND JUST USE ME FOR LABOR! WHO WAS FORCED TO STAY HOME FROM THE CLOUDSDALE FLYING COMPETITION WHILE HAVING TO CLEAN UP THE ENTIRE LIBRARY FROM A MESS A CERTAIN UNICORN MADE?! WHO ALWAYS CLEANS UP EVERY PONY'S MESS!? IT'S ME! WHO WAS LEFT OUT OF GUMMY'S BIRTHDAY PARTY!? WHO WAS LEFT ABANDONED AT THE GRAND GALLOPING GALA AND WOUND UP AT PONY JOE'S!? WHO NEARLY DROWNED AND FROZE TO DEATH AT THE END OF WINTER WRAP UP WHILE SOME CERTAIN PONIES WERE LAUGHING AT ME!? WHO IS ALWAYS CLEANING UP MESSES FROM ALL NIGHT STUDYING!? WHO WAS LEFT BEHIND TO TAKE A BOOK HOME WHEN I REALLY WANTED TO BE WITH YOU ALL!? ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! NOW I'VE BEEN TOLD I WAS FORGOTTEN BY ALL OF YOU! I'VE HAD ENOUGH! IF THIS IS HOW I WILL BE TREATED THEN IT'S OVER! I DON'T WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH ANY OF YOU!
- Codex Equus:
- Blue Suede Heartstrings would deliver these twice in his life.
- In one post-Ascension incident with tribalists, he delivered one in song form. When a group of tribalists terrorized his fans during a concert, Blue confronted them and retaliated by singing "Hound Dog", accusing the tribalists of "cryin' all the time" and calling themselves "high-class". This enraged the tribalists into attacking him instead... only for Blue to turn the fight into an impromptu yet highly-acclaimed performance, leaving his assailants bruised and completely humiliated.
- He also made one in the early Second Age, before he Ascended. When he learned that a few tribalists brutally lynched to death a teenage Earth pony colt, Garden Spade (who is the expy/ersatz of Emmett Till), for supposedly whistling at a unicorn mare and got away with the crime, Blue was so furious that he delivered a scathing public speech when reporters asked for his opinion on the event. It was noted that this was one of few instances where Blue showed clear anger and upset instead of his usual Tranquil Fury, and became a major factor in his hatred towards tribalism/racism in general.Blue Suede Heartstrings: [angrily] What do I think of the lynching? I think it was a STUPID and CHILDISH and SENSELESS act. If those two hot-blooded fellas actually CHECKED what that poor colt was doin' instead of trustin' a horned mare's words an' goin' after him with barbed wire an' a loaded gun, an innocent life would've been spared. Now, I can't say anything that'll offend the King in Heaven, but anyone who does something so AWFUL like that and thinks it's okay doesn't DESERVE t' be called a 'good citizen of Ponyland'. Same for those who turn a blind eye an' let their fellas commit such acts because they don't like certain folks or have the heart t' speak up.
And as for those who killed that colt, an' the judges who let those same killers walk away free... You fellas oughta be ASHAMED of yourselves.
- Golden Scepter is also capable of giving people a dressing-down if warranted.
- He would harshly and angrily reprimand of his sons, Steel Barricade and Clear Voice, after he learned of them getting in a violent duel while he was away on political matters, and came back to find a portion of the Terran Empire destroyed. Steel Barricade's entry notes that he received much of Golden Scepter's shame and anger, since he clearly didn't learn anything and continued to act like a spoiled and petty foal despite repeated warnings and discipline, though Clear Voice didn't escape blame either.
- While he visited the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon, he found Belyolen and Temnobog heatedly arguing with their father, High King Irminsul, who was also visiting. The horrible things Irminsul said about Temnobog and the non-Deer/hybrid Bogolenya deities infuriated Golden Scepter to the point where he revealed his true divine form and confronted the High King in front of everyone. What followed next was a vicious dressing-down, which apparently terrified Irminsul so much that he avoids visiting the Bogolenya Deer Pantheon from then on, knowing that he might run the risk of encountering Golden Scepter again if he does.Temnobog: I've never seen Father look so pathetic in all my life, knowing him.
- A canonized Codexverse quote has Prince Written Word, Golden Scepter's thirteenth son, give a vicious one to a Pony priestess who turned out to be an Autorist, misleading her followers into committing acts of racial supremacy under the guise of a righteous cause.Prince Written Word: You LIAR. Preaching racial supremacy to your people in the guise of righteousness, misleading them to believe that what horrific crimes they would do were for the greater good, while YOU ALONE revel in the cruelty you perpetuate... You are a DISGRACE to your position and title.
- Blue Suede Heartstrings would deliver these twice in his life.
- In the Fix Fic Consequences A Bad Apple Comedy of Justice, Applejack tears into both Babs Seed and Diamond Tiara for bullying the Cutie Mark Crusaders, but her speech to Babs is much harsher as she calls her out for instantly turning on the Cutie Mark Crusaders who had been nothing but nice to her, despite having been bullied herself.Applejack: I've never been ashamed to call one of my own kin family until just now! You should know better than any-pony what being bullied is like! We took you in when you were hurtin', gave you a place to stay, my little sister and her friends went out of their way to make you feel at home, and this is how you repay them? The first chance you get, you turn on them!
Babs Seed: Bu... B-but I...
Applejack: When you said you'd been bullied in Manehattan about not having a cutie-mark, I figured you'd feel at home here. Land sakes, I figured knowing that there are other ponies who don't have a cutie mark and don't let it get them down would be good for you. Now I'm wondering if that sob story was just a front, and the reason you needed to get out of Manehattan was because you were the bully, and ponies had gotten wise to ya!
Apple Bloom: She was bullied?
Applejack: She said she was! But that don't fit the way she just acted.
Babs Seed: But I was bullied! I was scared of being bullied when those two appeared, and I... I...
Applejack: Joined up with them and bucked dirt in the faces of every-pony who'd tried to help ya. If there's two things I can't stand, they're dishonesty and disloyalty. Two wrongs don't make a right, and being bullied don't give you leave to be a bully yourself. I know these two and the way they act. The reason they pal around with each other is that no decent pony'll have anything to do with them, unless Tiara is throwin' her daddy's money around to buy some popularity.
Diamond Tiara: Hey!
Applejack: Every-pony knows it, but I ain't your local parenty. Teaching you proper manners is your daddy's job! [...] [to Babs Seed] However, even those two stuck-up fillies have never done anything worse than pass a few nasty remarks. They never damaged anypony's property, maybe because they knew it'd come back to haunt 'em. But you just went and wrecked a float that was the result of a lot of hard work by Apple Bloom and the others, and you did it purely because it was the worst thing you could do to hurt them. Worse still, some-pony coulda got hurt! I nearly got hit myself! Celestia knows the Cutie Mark Crusaders have enough disasters themselves, but they're accidents, not some-pony out to wreck things.
Babs Seed: I never meant to wreck it! I just wanted to dent it a bit...
Applejack: Y'all can tell it to your folks back in Manehattan. I'm sending you back there first train tomorrow, and the only reason I ain't doing it tonight is 'cause I need to send your parents a pegasus mail to let 'em know to come pick you up first. I'm going to add a few choice comments about exactly how you acted around here too. I suggest you go pack up your things. I was gonna let you sleep with Apple Bloom, but I don't think that's gonna work out. I'll fix up the attic, you can sleep up there for tonight. (to Diamond Tiara) And as for you missy, you ain't getting away with this neither!
Diamond Tiara: But I didn't wreck that stupid cart! It isn't fair!
Applejack: You and that bookend of yours didn't try to stop her, in fact you seemed pretty darned pleased about it. What has my little sis ever done to you anyhow? Huh, if it wasn't cutie marks and my sis, it'd be some-pony else and something else, because the only way you can feel big is if you make some-pony else feel small. Apple Bloom has more moxie, more guts and more gumption in one hoof than you've got in your entire body!
Diamond Tiara: You can't talk to me like that! When I tell my father...
Applejack: Oh, I intend to have a long talk with old Filthy myself, and your momma too. He's a decent enough pony and I don't think he'll be best pleased with the way you're dragging his good name through the mud with yer shenanigans.
Diamond Tiara: But he'll never believe you over me, I'm his daughter! My daddy's rich, and has powerful friends! You don't want to upset him!
Applejack: The Apple family may not have a pile of bits in the bank, but we've got a lot of friends ourselves, including a bunch up in Canterlot. So don't think you can scare me with the hooey you're spouting! Not that it'll come to that, the Apples and the Riches have been friends for generations. I figure he'll listen when I talk!
Don't think you can take it out on my little sis neither! One more word, one more comment about blank flanks or anything else and you'll wish you were back in only this much trouble. Your dad ain't the only one who wants a piece of our next zap apple harvest! For now, I figure it's enough that you can't get in here to bother my little sis or her friends. This is Apple family land, and you ain't welcome no more, so skedaddle. And don't come back now, y'hear?
Diamond Tiara: Fine! I never wanted to come to this smelly old barnyard, anyway!
Silver Spoon: (realises something) ...but what about the Grand Apple Picnic, or the Harvest Feast, or the Nightmare Night Apple-Bobbing?
Applejack: Like I said, you ain't welcome. (points them both toward the gate)
Diamond Tiara: I'm glad you're here! Can you believe all this fuss and bother over a few farmers? It's disgusting! Well, at least those Cutie Mark cry-babies won't be joining in! Bump, bump, sugar-lump...
- Likewise, Silver Spoon gives Diamond Tiara a very satisfying one the next day, after she fully realises just how terrible she's been for going along with Diamond's bullying without question, and decides to do what she can to make up for it, starting by cutting off ties with her:
Silver Spoon: (shocked by her cruelty, refuses to join in) Uh... actually, I can't stay. My parents decided you're a bad influence on me, and they've forbidden me from seeing you in the future. They're talking to Miss Cheerilee to get us different seats in class, and I'm not to come over to your place, and vice versa.
Diamond Tiara: (shocked for a moment, and begins ranting furiously) YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE GOING ALONG WITH THIS! It's that rotten farm-pony, Applejack! She's doing all this because her precious little sister had her feelings hurt! She can't tell us how to run our lives! OHHH! If Apple Bloom thought I was being mean to her before, she'll realise she didn't even know what the word meant by the time I'm through with her! (notices Silver Spoon backing away, scared) ...what? Surely, you're not just going to give in? We're Best Filly Friends Forever, remember?!
Silver Spoon: (stops backing away, and steels herself) Actually, I am. And not because of my parents. I never realised it before, but Applejack was right. We became friends because we liked the same things: fancy clothes and jewellery and magazines, and because your dad loaned mine the money to build up his sugar refinery. When we started teasing Apple Bloom, I thought we were just we were proper girls, unlike her, we couldn't be tough. But you? You really do enjoy hurting other ponies just to see them hurt! I had a long talk with my parents about who I wanted to be, and I realised that wasn't it! In fact, I'm going to work hard not to be like that any more.
Diamond Tiara: (getting even angrier and less coherent) FINE! Who needs you?! I can find some better friends, anyway! I don't ever want to see you again either, you pathetic doormat!
Silver Spoon: (completely unfazed) You know... I figured this would be harder, considering how close we've been, but I realise now we never were. I wasn't your friend... just a sounding-board and a yes-pony. You were the one who decided everything, and I went along with it. (...) Well, not any more! The more I listen to you, the more I realise this is the best thing that could have happened to me! I may not have the qualifications for Apple Bloom's club... (glances down at her Cutie Mark) ...but maybe, if I work hard at it, they might accept me as a friend. From what I've seen, at least they mean it. Have a nice life. (Silver Spoon turns and leaves, ignoring Diamond Tiara's increasingly-shrill shrieking commands and pleading)
- The above is made even sweeter by the reveal immediately after that Babs, as part of her redemption, helped the Crusaders rebuild their float even better than before. In a blind rage, Diamond Tiara steals a nearby crepe and tries to throw it at them, only to be humiliated by it being launched back in her face by the float's new defence mechanism; added and controlled by Babs herself.
- The Conversion Bureau: The Other Side of the Spectrum:
- Princess Celestia gives one to her Evil Counterpart, Queen Celestia after being shown what she was doing to the humans.Queen Celestia: There can be no peace, no compromise, no accord between Us and Them. You have seen his memories, how they poisoned their world, incited violence and murder, turned our own ponies against us!
Princess Celestia: And you have done just the same, or even worse! You have corrupted your Equestria, tainted the souls of precious ponies with cruelty and malice, and drawn two realities into a war of endless death and atrocity! Harmony, true harmony, transcends species and worlds it is the finding of common ground despite differences, the nurturing of love between all! You would create a desolation and name it Peace! I will not allow some Tyrant rule with an iron hoof. I will not allow an entire species to die quietly and fade into the darkness. I will not stand to see the rape of innocence and innocents alike, of the peaceful being forced to take up bloody arms, and the grotesque being violated in mind, body and soul! Equestria, all of Equus, will rise against you! We will fight. We will turn this darkness away, and come to the rescue of all you have subjugated, Pony and Human, Earthborn and Equestrian alike. We will cast you down, and cast you out! In Harmony's name, I swear it.
- Celestia and Discord both give one to each other. In particular, the latter pulls a Shut Up, Kirk! and accuses Celestia of having coddled the ponies too much and turning Equestria into a stagnant Sugar Bowl. His trips through The Multiverse do force him to rethink this view, and he even does apologize to her for it.
- TCB!Trixie gives a couple to newfoal Focus Ray.Trixie: No sentient being lives free of fears, hopes, dreams and doubts, not without some serious brainwashing or sheer self-delusion. You, with your sanctimonious serenity, are just a golem programmed to not question its masters, hardcoded to get a positive emotional kick every time you obey unthinkingly. True ponies, true individuals, are free to question their lives, free to fear, free to doubt, and free to find their own purpose.
Trixie: [while impersonating Lyra Heartstrings] WE ARE NOTHING ALIKE! YOU SPEAK AS IF YOU'VE BEEN A PONY ALL YOUR LIFE! YOU ARE JUST ONE BROKEN SOUL AMONG THE MILLIONS THAT WERE CONVERTED! THE GRIFFONS ARE MORE KIN TO ME THAN YOU ARE!
- Celestia was already incredibly stressed out, but when Blueblood pushes her too far, she gives him a long overdue verbal beatdown for being such an embarrassment to the royal family, before declaring him cut off from his inheritance.
- From the Asia Side-Story, a PER agent tries to give one to Porter in the first chapter, calling him a broken man and a tool of a corrupt government; Porter just argues back that he at least isn't selling out his own kind to and collaborating with a bunch of xenocidal invaders. Porter himself also delivers one to an HLF member in the chapter "A Melody of Flames and Frost", stating that he and his friends have actually done important stuff for the war effort (evacuate and help civilians, fight the TCB!Equestrians and newfoals) and don't throw untrained children into the meat grinder, whereas the HLF have only hurt, destroyed and killed everything in their path.
- In the PER chapter of Case Files, TCB!Cheerilee gave such a massive one to PER agent Mikhailovitch that he broke down, told her what she needed to know, and apologized for what he did.
- Angus Reid delivered one to his HLF group over how they never did anything of real worth for the war effort or disprove the people's descriptions of them as "madmen destroying civilization" before declaring he's leaving for the PHL in a quote in the third chapter of Calm Before the Storm.Angus: Shut your fucking face, old man! We haven't been worth shit for years! How goddamn delusional do you have to be to think the public actually like us?! The PHL have evacuated civilians. The PHL can use 5.56 rifles while we have to use these stupid fucking .50 Beowulf rounds! The PHL saved Boston! The PHL have secret superweapons when all we have are homebrewed cannons and pipe guns! The PHL help power America, and we've probably used something from them! What in the fuck are we compared to that?! They're calling us terrorists and murderers, rapists and torturers, bandits that... I swear to God I'm not kidding, bandits that are destroying civilization! Crazy, right? EXCEPT DAMN NEAR NONE OF YOU HAVE DONE ANYTHING TO PROVE THEM WRONG! I'm not asking any of you to have sex with the merry-go-round toys, but at least the PHL is doing something. We're all yammer and no hammer now, the war's passed us by! We're a laughingstock, and if the PHL wins the war, we're not gonna be heroes. We'll be the guys that everyone laughs at. We're not heroic partisans like in Poland, or anything of the sort, we're just a bunch of assholes with guns pointed at everything that isn't us, because fuck you, it's the apocalypse, we've got ours! We're outlaws! We're... you! Mac Pherson! Is this what you signed up for? Stealing from people that don't have anything left to steal? And you, Clancy?! Killing people that I'm convinced just wanted a better life because their home is a despotic shithole?! Morhaim, did you sign up to oversee gang-rapes and eat people?! Anyone in this HLF brigade that wants to do something good... Follow me, we're going to the PHL! If Viktor Kraber can quit and do the right thing, we can outdo that bastard!
- There's also Thaddeus Crowe's scathing debunking of the Russian Space Program's calls to start a Homeworld Evacuation space program during wartime, and Fiddlesticks' denunciation of her home.
- Princess Celestia gives one to her Evil Counterpart, Queen Celestia after being shown what she was doing to the humans.
- In the story Dash's New Mom, Rainbow Dash discovers that her father and Twilight have some how gotten together and immediately assumes that it is some kind of trick and goes to confront Discord, who she believes is almost definitely the one behind it... Only to discover this is not the case and Discord accordingly gives her a brutal tongue lashing for not only not trusting that her own friend Twilight, who tried to explain what happened, despite supposedly being The Element Of Loyalty, but immediately assuming he would do something like this after his reformation, without even giving him the slight benefit of the doubt. By the end of their meeting, she's in tears.
- A Diplomatic Visit: Used twice in chapter 4 of the second sequel, Diplomacy Through Schooling.
- Twilight gives Neighsay a quite pointed one when he comes to complain about her plans for her school, on the grounds that his reasoning is thinly disguised prejudice and racism.
- Blueblood later lets loose on him with an even harsher one when the chancellor comes to him for help in stopping Twilight.
- Drawn With The Night: When Celestia learns that Luna continued to invade Klein's mind and drive him mad, after Celestia promised that she and Equestria would leave him alone, she rips into her about violating her trust, continuing to assault someone she wronged in an area she can remain hidden and where he can't protect himself, and for doing it all in her name. By the end, Luna is left a quivering, crying, mess.Celestia: My dear sister, it must have been terrible, wondering what I'd do when I found out you'd lied to me. I do wonder, what else have you lied to me about? How much of my trust have you betrayed?
Luna: Nothing, Celestia.
Celestia: But is that true, or just another lie? We did a man a terrible injustice. And when we hemmed in on all sides he who had offered us no threat, he prostrated himself before us and asked simply to be let alone. No threat to expose us, no cry for revenge, just the succor of time and distance to let him heal among his new friends and family. A boon we granted, I granted, and thought you had too. Was not his abject humiliation and acknowledged helplessness before us sufficient for you? Now, how many of your decisions do I have to review to see if you've kept your word to our subjects?
Luna : Please Celestia.
Celestia: No, your Highness, our ponies come first. I love my sister. I had hoped she would understand my disapproval and seek to correct her mistake. But if the Lunar Diarch cannot keep her word, then all we have done is suspect. Our ponies have to trust us, or we cannot help them.
Luna: He's dangerous!
Celestia: To whom? A maker of toys and a family man? To your image that you can do no wrong? To some desire to revenge yourself on one who wounded me? If revenge was to be extracted, it was my right and not yours! How DARE you attack an innocent in my name! You think I am so weak that I cannot defend myself and my own good name? Then what of your courage? Striking where he cannot hope to strike back, and keeping the excuse of 'I was doing it for Celestia' to deflect any blame! If he is such a threat, have the decency to face him yourself and offer a swift death. To drag it out over weeks and months is sadism, not security. Have the decency to let his family see the blood on your hooves and not make them think his growing madness is their failing. And you dare complain when someone turns the tables on you. Discord did nothing you have not already done. Be glad he withheld his hand further. Or perhaps he was crueler than I surmise. He left you alone with naught but yourself. A more conniving cellmate I could not imagine. Even an alien who stank of death and terror could not be as foul. In that cell, I had no fear of a knife in the belly in the dead of the night. Be cautious my sister, else she will slip a blade between your ribs and claim it was for my greater glory.
- Towards the end of "Drawn With The Night", Klein basically tells the princess (using a black belt in Politeness Judo) that he doesn't like them, he doesn't want them around, and that he will never take any aid from them without looking for "The hidden hook," further stating that their refusal to leave him alone and inability to comprehend that he doesn't care that they're sorry have driven him to try and tell them that to their faces, just so he can have some peace and quiet.
- In Faith and Doubt, the fallen 6th Element, an abstract known as Doubt, turns Twilight into an alicorn. Luna, who realizes Doubt is the same voice that she heard when she was Nightmare Moon, calls him out and declares him a liar and a monster. With utter calmness Doubt rips her apart.Doubt: I gave you the power to rival your sister. I whispered in your ear about how she treated you as like a foal and did not let you take a larger part in governing Equestria; that is something you agreed with and something you still think now. [Cuts off Luna's retort] Do not deny it. I can read your thoughts as easily. I know that to be true... just as I know that Fluttershy here fears that I will hurt all of you. I assure you, little one, I could not hurt you if I wanted to. Nothing would bring me greater joy than to aid each and every one of you little ponies. But Nightmare Moon... everything comes back to that, doesn't it Luna? Everything you are now and everything you will ever be is tied to that horrible day when you took the mantle of the Mare in the Moon. Long you and your sister have convinced yourselves and your subjects that you were not in control... that some dark boogeyman had taken you over and twisted you into a weapon of evil and the real Luna was trapped inside. And you have now decided to cast me in that role. That... is a lie.
Luna: No... it was you. It was all you! I was good before you...
Doubt: Now who is the liar? All I gave you was the power. My words were a reflection of your own thoughts, nothing more. I can influence your mind as much as a foal can stop the rain from falling. Everything that happened was your fault, Luna; every dark word, every bitter thought was your own. The hatred for your sister came not from me. Nightmare Moon wasn't a separate entity or some corruption; it was merely a name you used to deflect blame. Your own feelings of self worth drove you to attack your sister and try and destroy all of Equestria. It was then that I removed my protection from you and allowed the dear traitor you call sister to banish you.
Luna: That... that isn't true, I... I would never.
Doubt: But you did, Luna. You did. Darkness is not evil... it is those that wield it that make it so. The sun can give life on a farm... or kill in the desert.
- Really, this is Doubt's entire schtick.
- Chapter 4 of The Fall of Night has Luna call Celestia out on her habit of passing responsibility off to somepony else whenever Equestria is in danger:Celestia: You worry too much. This is a good learning experience for them. After all, facing challenges is how a pony grows! This is just what Trixie needs. Once she overcomes this, she'll be one step closer to alicornhood. Or, if she fails, she'll be dead. That is also acceptable.
Luna: Reforming Discord was a challenge. Defeating the combined armies of all the undead is not a challenge; it is suicide. This isn't a test, sister. The survival of everypony is hanging on this. We have to take this seriously and do something! If we do nothing then ponies will die.
Celestia: I am doing something! I've given Trixie her first job as Element of Magic, and I'm going to watch her fail. Doesn't that sound fun? Then when Equestria has burned to the ground it will be her fault, and I can laugh in her face.
Luna: Enough! You're not my sister anymore; you're just some monster. The loving and gentle pony I once knew a thousand years ago has been lost to darkness. She would never have been this cruel. She actually cared about the lives of her subjects.
Celestia: Come now, Luna. I really do care about all the little ponies. It's just that I care about some of them more than others.
Luna: Do you? I wonder. When Sombra threatened to return to the Crystal Empire and enslave everypony, you turned that life-threatening situation into a test for your star pupil. You knew of the Crystal Heart and its importance, but you did not bother to tell Twilight about it. Twilight could have kept Sombra at bay with the Elements of Harmony, but you did not offer to give them to her. Instead of doing everything in your power to save those poor crystal ponies, you treated the whole thing as some sort of alicorn exam! Did it never occur to you what might happen if Twilight failed? You wouldn't even let me go and help her! Twilight could have died. All those ponies could have been enslaved again. How many times did you put Twilight's life in danger for your stupid tests?
Celestia: It worked, didn't it? Everything turned out fine. I'm sure everything will work out this time as well.
Luna: You are a horrible, horrible pony. You care nothing for the safety of those entrusted to your care- but I do. If you won't defend this nation then I will. Come with me, pony who was once pink; we have a country to save.
Celestia: Don't you dare leave. I won't allow it!
Luna: [laughs scornfully] As if you had the power to stop me. When was the last time you actually helped anypony? All you ever do is delegate your problems to someone else.
- In Fools and Drunks, Ruby recounts the events following her death, and what happened when Princess Luna realised Sunny Town killed her.Luna:"I have seen my friend, thine own dead daughter. For one dead of the Mark-Pox, she was most curious unmarred, save for two hoof-blows to the head. There may have been more to see, and I might have seen it, were it not for thine odd decision to bake her, as if she were some horrid pastry.
Three Leaf: The Pox...
Luna: There was no Pox! Dost thou mistake me for some especial-simple foal? The Pox leaves many Marks, not one. The Pox does not bash in a filly's head! Were the Pox in truth abroad in Sunney Towne, would ye all be feasting together, the better to assure its spread? Where are the medical preparations? The quarantines? Dost thou mean to convince me that thou'rt the most numb-skulled Healer in the whole equine history of medicine?!! Nay. Were she so stupid, not a one of ye would now survive, given that I know one plague after the other hath ravaged this town. Aye! I do know all about Sunney Towne. Before ye slew her, Ruby did discourse to me at length. I do know all the secrets of your village.
Luna: Who amongst you saw her success as a threat to thine own? Who envied her? Who slew her? And, of course — who saw her slain? Ye ... ye all did? She was done to death right before ye, and ye did naught to stop it? Or to punish the slayer? What ... what are ye? What monsters?
Luna: Ruby... She must have suspected something was wrong when she came home from the City last week. She was ever intelligent... curious... She would have asked questions. Searched for answers. And found them... She was ever good at finding things... I saw her Mark on her poor burned body, 'twas as I expected, a Finding Mark. She would have made such a good Finder... a Pony of worth... worth more than your whole damned little huddle of huts... ye destroy the best... And, no doubt she felt a duty to tell me. I was her patron, her Princess, her friend. She was Loyal to me. She knew I hated brigands... 'twas a sentiment we shared ... how it must have hurt her to find that her own family had taken to brigandage their own selves... she had such high ideals... such a beautiful heart... But she was also Loyal to ye. To her family, her brother, her father. She loved ye, one and all. How it must have hurt her to have to choose between loyalty to me and to ye, to her Princess and to her own kith and kin. She would have known how much it would have hurt ye had she informed on ye — nothing hurts as much as to be betrayed by one's own kin. What did she choose in the end? It matters not, not any more, for ye curs assumed she would choose me, for I had greater gifts to bestow, because it is what any of ye would have done.
- In For Glory! For Equus! For Epicness!, after Canterlot has suffered significant losses and destruction at the hands of the demons from Tartarus, Blueblood is at the rare giving end, which doubles as a Rousing Speech, when he shatters the argument of the nobles who have reservations about allowing changelings to fight alongside them in the coming war, and puts into perspective what it means to be a noble. This drastic change stuns everypony present.Blueblood: Im sure this comes as a surprise to most-uh... all of you. But over the past few days, Ive had some time to think about things. Namely, what it means to be a noble. I think weve made it no secret that we view ourselves as superior to other ponies, and for the most part others are in agreement of this. We boast of our superior bloodlines and influence. But after seeing whats happened here in Canterlot, all the destruction of the things we once thought were so important, I asked myself what would cause somepony to think of somepony else as superior? What makes a bloodline noble? We nobles dont live lives of combat training, and few of us are master spellcasters, so it certainly isnt martial prowess. It cant be money, because there are several rich ponies out there that, despite their great wealth, arent considered to be nobles. So what is it? What causes one pony to look at another and think yes, that pony most certainly is superior to me. They should be in charge. After much thought, I have my answer: Those ponies were exceptional and they showed it through their deeds.
I am descended from our own Princess Celestia and her first husband, Valor. But it is not that heritage that makes me a noble. It is because my Auntie is wise, kind, understanding. It is because my ancestor was brave and honorable. It is because both of them show the best of what a pony can and should be. You are all nobles because your ancestors, or in some cases you yourselves, showed the qualities and performed the deeds that made others wish to follow you. It is for this reason that we are given so many luxuries in our lives, to compensate us for the great and important task of leading those who follow us to brighter futures. For centuries weve been lucky and have not had to perform these duties due to our ages of peace, but now that has changed. It is time for us to perform the tasks for which the common ponies elevated us to the highest rungs of society for, to lead and provide examples to them of what a pony can and should do. And for those of you who do not wish to perform this duty, who would rather hide or take what they value and run, go ahead and do so, you have that right. Just make sure to stay quiet and let the real nobles make the decisions.
- In Harmony Theory: Nightmare Umbra gives these to both the the Nobles of the Solar Kingdom and the modern ponies, overlapping with some evident Evil Gloating and disappointment at the lack of challenge to her.Nightmare Umbra: Silence! To call yourselves Noble is laughable. You claim to worship Celestia, yet when I look into your precious little Sun-Loving faces, I do not see ponies she would be proud of. Just look at you now— you trample those weaker underhoof in the hope of buying yourselves another breath of life. Craven beasts, that hope is as empty as your hearts. Eight Hundred Years have I waited, marshalling my power. Eight Hundred Years have I given you to do the same. When I emerged from my silence, I expected to see armies arrayed against me! Heroes and Sages aiding great leaders in battle, against the only foe that will ever matter for you. A worthy challenge to my Dominion. What have I found? The petty rulers of a broken World, sitting in pretty rows, celebrating the union of a blushing filly and a pampered fop who you expect to be your Sovereign. Are you such fools that you thought me gone forever? Were you not informed of my return? Did you not see the signs?
- Max Cash, the other member of the Big Bad Ensemble, gets one of his own after finale pushing his body guard and right hand mare Charisma too far, along side a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown courtesy of the latter.Charisma: If you wanted someone to kill you so bad, you could have gotten literally anyone who's spent more than five minutes with you!!!
- Max Cash, the other member of the Big Bad Ensemble, gets one of his own after finale pushing his body guard and right hand mare Charisma too far, along side a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown courtesy of the latter.
- In the eighth part of the fanfic called Heart of Azazel, Celestia gives a small one to her husband Dr. Bitch Spasms after Azazel returns:Celestia: I'm breaking up with you. I issue a divorce. Know why? Because you are just awful! I'm sick of watching you treat patients in a horrible manner, doing your chores, wearing this horrific dress, the list goes on. I'm tired of being called a plaything... ESPECIALLY BY A MORON LIKE YOU!!!!!
- The fancomic Love is For the Week, is a big Rick-and-Morty-styled speech from Twilight to Cadance over the latter's powers.Twilight: Actually, I analyzed your magic some time ago. What you're actually doing, Cadance, is hormone magic. You're releasing excessive hormones in ponies and some of them happen to cause love-like effects. But, in fact, Cadance, if you focused your magic right, you could easily kill any creature. Or drive them insane. Or make them kill themselves! But instead, you go for the worst, Cadance. You force them to make bad life decisions resulting in unwanted pregnancies, hasty marriages, burp painful divorces, and alimonies! Tons of alimonies, Cadance. What's good for the ponykind isn't always good for individuals! You deprive ponies of their free will, Cadance. You're an unholy mistake that should be consigned to Tartarus. If Tirek and Chrysalis had a baby, it would be you, Cadance. You're amoral and powerful but too stupid to realized that! Why do you think Tirek or the Storm King wanted your magic? To pick up chicks? You're a life-ruining machine dressed in a pretty pink coat. Get a clue, Cadance!
- Loved and Lost, an extended retelling of "A Canterlot Wedding", has a few of these.
- After being exiled from Equestria by Prince Jewelius for their canon mistakes that contributed to the Changeling invasion taking place, the Mane Five (sans Twilight), Shining Armor, Spike and Celestia secretly return to Canterlot with Cadance in order to redeem themselves by helping Twilight. When Commander Hildread finds the Mane Five sneaking in the castle, she attempts to break their spirits by giving them a cruel lecture about how pathetic they are and unworthy of Twilight's friendship. The tactic works in demoralizing the five mares, but then Fluttershy notices a hanging chandelier above, so she tells Hildread where to shove her taunts and drops the chandelier onto her and her guards.Hildread: You all should've stayed where you were and never come back.
Pinkie Pie: No way, we heard the rumors about changelings in the castle. We couldn't just ignore them and leave our friend, Twilight, in danger!
Hildread: [laughs mockingly] You really are the funny pony! Because I heard you all didn't have any problems ignoring her warnings about the imposter bride and abandoning her at the wedding rehearsal! You all really need to stop playing heroes because you're not! Well, not anymore. You chose to ignore all the obvious signs of danger and focus more on what you could've gained if the bride had been the real thing, and as a result, you hurt your best friend, put all of Equestria in danger, and destroyed your own 'heroic' reputations all because you wanted to play dress up for a beast! [Hildread continues laughing as the ashamed Mane Five silently acknowledge her point] So now that you've all gotten a dose of reality, why don't you come along quietly so there won't be any trouble when we return you back to your places of exile? To think, Twilight Sparkle considered you all her best friends. What kind of pony would risk everything she cares about for the sake of her worthless, pathetic, annoying so-called friends?!
Fluttershy: Twilight would!
- Shortly after the previous example, the Mane Five, Shining Armor, Spike and Celestia reunite with Twilight, but Cadance is separated from them and injured by Jewelius. Twilight (who's been manipulated to stop trusting her friends, brother and mentor by Jewelius following the wedding rehearsal incident) believes the others are responsible for her beloved foalsitter becoming injured. In her anger, she gives them all a harsh earful that mirrors the one her brother gave her at the rehearsal before she allows them to be apprehended.Twilight: How could you have let her be put in danger? Hasn't she been through enough already?
Celestia: Twilight, we didn't know what would happen.
[Twilight becomes angrier]
Twilight: Yes, you didn't know. Just like you didn't know about the bad behavior she was showing during the planning for the wedding! Just like you didn't know about the strange spells she was constantly casting on my brother, which obviously weren't headache healing spells! Just like you didn't know what that display of crocodile tears at the rehearsal was meant to do! Just like you didn't know she was imprisoning ponies who were becoming obstacles in her plan in the caverns underneath the castle, like me! And just like you didn't know that she was the EVIL queen of an army of shapeshifting insect like monsters bent on devouring all the love in Equestria! Well, I know one place that they won't be able to find any real love!
Shining Armor: Twily, I-
Twilight: You know, King Jewelius was going to let her back into the kingdom. It would've been easy and nopony would've gotten hurt. But you all had to follow your own selfish instincts and mess everything up again! Well no more!
[Twilight imprisons her former loved ones in a magic dome]
Applejack: Twilight, please don't do this!
Fluttershy: We're your friends!
Twilight: No you're not! You only hangout with me because my connections could help you. You never cared about me or anypony else! I can't believe I fell for it for so long.
Shining Armor: Twily-
Twilight: And you can forget about me calling you my BBBFF anymore! In fact, I don't even have a brother. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check on the princess.
Celestia: Twilight, I-
Twilight: You have a lot to think about.
- The same targets of the previous example get another one in the following chapter from Jewelius as he privately reveals himself to have helped Chrysalis infiltrate Canterlot before double-crossing her. He condescendingly yet accurately gloats to them how easy it was to turn Twilight against them with the way they dismissed all her concerns about the false Cadance in their blissful wedding planning.Applejack: You Snake! How were you able to fool Twilight when Chrysalis wasn't?
Jewelius: Simple. I did the one thing none of YOU did. I listened to her and gave her the benefit of the doubt. I was THERE for her! I was her friend! But after you all broke her heart and abandoned her at the wedding rehearsal, she became a lot easier to manipulate. And now, I have her completely under my control. I didn't even need to use a mind control spell either!
Shining Armor: You you used my sister, and the changelings! You're responsible for all of this!
Jewelius: Whoa, calm down. I didn't manipulate any of you into making yourselves look like fools. You chose to believe the lies of an imposter over the one pony who made any real sense during all that stupid nonsense. And in the end, Twilight was right about everything. Well, except one thing: she thought all of you were her friends! Now THAT couldn't had been farther from the truth! [laughs with Hildread as the ashamed heroes silently admit that he's right] How does it feel to know just how much damage you've caused?
- When Shining Armor faces his rival Commander Hildread in the climax, he tells her that he kicked her out of the Royal Guard because she has always been too much of a brutal extremist and isn't protecting ponies now by taking part in attacking Ponyville with the orders of mass murder from Jewelius.Hildread: I hate you, Shining Armor. Always have. You were always too soft and weak to hold the rank of Captain of the Royal Guard. You never had the brains or the guts to do what was necessary to ensure the security of Canterlot. But now I will do what you could not.
Shining Armor: You never could understand that brute strength is not always the answer. That is not the way of Equestria.
Hildread: SHUT UP! I am the guardian of this great nation. I protect the ponies that live in it!
Shining Armor: Is that what you call this? Protection?!
Hildread: looks at her surroundings uneasily before hardening her heart] Traitors to the King must be punished.
Shining Armor: Traitors?! These are innocent ponies! This is a massacre ordered by that vile usurper you call a king!
Hildread: Everything we've done was absolutely necessary! And if I have to destroy you in order to maintain peace and order in Equestria, so be it.
Shining Armor: Your extreme desires and methods have blinded you to the fact that you're causing more harm than good. This is why you were kicked out of the guard.
Hildread: I WILL CRUSH YOU!
- The Big Bad Jewelius is told separately yet in a complementary way by Celestia, Cadance and Twilight how disappointed they are in the prince who has thrown away the love of everypony else out of a selfish lust for power.Celestia: I'm afraid it is you who will not be remembered for your greatness but your arrogance, Jewelius. You, like many others before you, have underestimated Twilight and her friends and the Magic of Friendship. And that will cost you dearly! [ ] You let your selfish desires turn you into a monster.
Cadance: I finally understand, cousin. Why the changelings weren't able to feed on your love and why my spell didn't work on you. It's because you have no heart to feel love and therefore no love to give!
Jewelius: What, are you going to kill your own flesh and blood?
Cadance: The cousin, brother, I knew died a long time ago. His heart anyway.
Twilight: You had a loving family, loyal friends, everything a pony could've wanted. Why wasn't it enough for you?
- After being exiled from Equestria by Prince Jewelius for their canon mistakes that contributed to the Changeling invasion taking place, the Mane Five (sans Twilight), Shining Armor, Spike and Celestia secretly return to Canterlot with Cadance in order to redeem themselves by helping Twilight. When Commander Hildread finds the Mane Five sneaking in the castle, she attempts to break their spirits by giving them a cruel lecture about how pathetic they are and unworthy of Twilight's friendship. The tactic works in demoralizing the five mares, but then Fluttershy notices a hanging chandelier above, so she tells Hildread where to shove her taunts and drops the chandelier onto her and her guards.
- Misunderstandings: Twilight lays an epic one to Silver Star, and by extension, the other nobles involved in the conspiracy against Peter.Silver Star: Your ascension was a mistake. We trust Princess Celestia with the very underpinnings of our world, but how she could select some... some bumpkin like you to become royalty is inconceivable! You know nothing of how politics works in this city, nothing of its deepest traditions and culture, and you dismiss this Parliament and the nobility as no more important than a common street-sweeper! It would have been better if you'd gone back to that speck of dirt called Ponyville, and somepony with some notion of what this nation needs had been given that power instead. You're not fit to rule.
Twilight: Is that what you believe, Mister Star? That I'm unfit to rule because I don't understand traditions or politics, because I don't have or value the 'noble bloodlines' you cherish so completely?
Silver Star: I... I, well, that is to say, perhaps not myself, but there are a number of other nobles-
Twilight: Well. In that case, let's take note of what resulted from the plan that you and certain other nobles—who no doubt represent the 'cream of the crop' in your mind—formulated. You enlisted the aid of a complete psychopath, a wanted fugitive, whom you allowed to spread harmful rumors about an innocent creature. You and your cabal of nobles maneuvered to politically isolate Peter Collins, to persecute Sveti Windwhisper—even conspired to frame one of your own, Prince Blueblood, for your plan to disrupt my research...a plan, I might add, could have resulted in the death of myself and everyone nearby, reopening old breaches into a parallel plane, and even the utter destruction of Canterlot itself. As a result of your actions, Farris Wheel, a promising actor and playwright, lost his life. As a result of your actions, a young filly by the name of Dewdrop nearly lost hers. As a result of your actions, there has been untold needless suffering and conflict that could have been avoided otherwise. You let petty jealousy and short-sightedness gallop roughshod over everything this nation stands for. And you dare tell me that I am unfit to rule?!
- The MLP Loops: Chrysalis, of all people, gives one to Draco Malfoy.Chrysalis: I have never visited Hogwarts, but from what I understand the house of Slytherin is supposed to be home to the cunning. But you, you were sorted into that house because you were too cowardly for Gryiffindor, too stupid for Ravenclaw, and too lazy for Hufflepuff. You have no ambitions, no true cunning, and the only reason the Hat didn't expel you then and there was your connections which just barely qualified you to be in the house of snakes.
Draco: ...You dare to judge my worthiness? To say I have no place in Slytherin when you have never even visited—?!
Draco: You have no right—!
Chrysalis: I have every right, Draco Malfoy. Every loop, I am in charge of a race that has to feed off of love. I have to make sure my children are not starving, and to do that I have to earn the love of a non-looping populace. Look at what I am, Draco. I am beautiful and hideous, and my children do not share my beauty. And yet, every loop, my swarm survives. Not through force, but through crafty manipulations, through our ability to take other's forms and feel other's feelings, though coordination and sly tricks and never once has Equestria suspected a thing. You were sorted into Slytherin, Draco Malfoy. I was born into it.
Draco: ...then we have a common enemy in Twilight Sparkle.
Chrysalis: A true Slytherin has no enemies, or at least none worth naming. Enemies are for the brave Gryffindors to fight, for the intelligent Ravenclaws to outwit, for the persevering Hufflepuffs to endure. Any creature that would be an enemy to Slytherin is to be... subverted. The reason for its opposition removed. And if that is impossible, then ensure it will also fight one of the other houses. In the baseline of this world Twilight Sparkle has every reason to hate me and my children, but as an Anchor I have convinced her to allow my nation to thrive. That is the true power that Slytherin claims. And that is the power that I will instill into you. [cruel smile] The elements are telling you what their traits are, how to embody them. I will teach you how to use them properly in the house of snakes. I will teach you how to be a harmonious Slytherin. And I will teach you this. You would try to deny me, but I can ensure you will suffer till the loop's end.
- A Mother's Love:
- Apple Bloom delivers an absolutely scathing speech to Spoiled Rich for all the abuse she has inflicted on her daughter.Apple Bloom: Mrs Rich. There's something I've been curious about. What does your cutie mark mean?
Spoiled Rich: W-what? I... What relevance does that have?!
Apple Bloom: Well, you may not know this, but me and the other Crusaders aren't exactly 'talentless'. Aside from me having a big heart, Sweetie Belle's singing ability and Scootaloo's being able to ride as fast as lightning, our shared true destiny is, as you can see in the colour of our manes on the shields, to help other ponies find their calling in life, based on their cutie marks. A very important job, I'm sure you agree. We did it for Troubleshoes in Appleloosa a while ago, and we helped your daughter discover that she could harness her leadership ability without becoming... Well, like you. Now, my friends aren't here so I can't be entirely accurate with my reading, but I just got to thinking... Do you need my help?
Spoiled Rich: N-no of course not! W-why would I ever—
Apple Bloom: So, what does the ring on your flank represent then? Are you good at making jewellery?
Spoiled Rich: Never! If I want something, my husband just buys it for me!
Apple Bloom: Selling jewellery?
Spoiled Rich: Me? Get a job? Huh! The day that happens will be the day I jump over the moon!
Apple Bloom: So, what does it mean, then?
If I may, I have a theory I'd like to run by you. It's up to you whether you take it at face value or not, and of course I could be completely wrong. But, I'm going to tell you it anyway.
The ring on your flank, shows your aptitude for marrying well. And you did. Look at you, hitched to the most successful businesspony in Ponyville! One who loves his daughter dearly, contrary to what you say. One willing to journey around the world, earning extra bits to keep his selfish and ungrateful wife happy! One who tolerates her many childish tantrums and outbursts, because he has unlimited patience! His only fault is not putting his hoof down when he sees how much you mistreat and abuse your beautiful daughter, out of some wrongheaded sense of keeping his family together, because Diamond Tiara needs a mother! Well, let me say, after what I've witnessed today, forget about Applejack, Queen Chrysalis would make for a better parent than you! At least she knows what love is. It's a term that you clearly don't, and probably never will, understand!
If you ignored your sole talent, and left your husband to try and make it in Canterlot with your daughter by yourself, do you really think you'd survive? That other ponies wouldn't turn against you, once they saw you for what you truly are? An abusive, lying, manipulative, nasty piece of work? No, they wouldn't. And I promise that soon, Diamond wouldn't think much of you, either. You might be able to win her favour for a while with your non-stop threats and deceit, but I've already opened her eyes to other possibilities. Soon, she'll see you as the beast you clearly are, and you'll be all alone! And, guess what? You'll have no pony to blame but your own rotten self! If I've learned one thing from you, it's that it isn't just cutie marks that tell us about the pony they belong to, the name can reveal a lot too! Spoiled by name, Spoiled by nature. That's you!
- Twilight later gives Spoiled one herself.Twilight: I'll tell you who I am, seeing as how you seem a little confused...
I'm the Princess Of Friendship. That isn't a boast. It's a title given to me by Celestia herself. My job is to look for the good in everyone, and encourage them to befriend each other, no matter their background, species or creed. But I must say Spoiled, you represent one of the toughest challenges I've faced so far. Nothing you've said or done since we've met has showed me you have any intention of changing your ways, in fact you seem to be getting worse with every passing minute. But, you know what? I won't give up on you. I never give up on anypony. Even if sometimes, I'm sorely tempted. I'll tell you what I told Starlight Glimmer as she ran into those caves. I hope your time alone gives you a chance to think about your life, and where you want it to go. Because as of right now, it's only heading in one direction. Downhill.
- Apple Bloom delivers an absolutely scathing speech to Spoiled Rich for all the abuse she has inflicted on her daughter.
- In My Tall Human: Hatred is Science, Gilda meets again with Rainbow Dash, only to find her injured. Gilda tries to get from her who did that to her, but Dash is still hostile toward Gilda because of her behavior at the party... until Gilda fires back.RD: I thought I was a 'Flip-Flop' to you!
Gilda: Right. And guess what? I'm not a Flip-Flop like you.
RD: Oh this is good to hear after what you did to my friends behind my back!
Gilda: Perhaps, Element of Loyalty My Ass, now that you have new friends you don't need your old friends anymore, but you have been my only true friend, not just somehuman I used to know, and being still pissed at you for throwing me away like a worn-out rag without a second thought doesn't change that, to me it doesn't change the fact that we have been friends for years, even if perhaps you forgot that...you say i only care about being 'cool'? Big fucking talking from Miss '20% cooler', do you instruct your new friends as well about how to cheer for you during competitions? And guess what, you're wrong! I care and worry about you, and since you have been beaten like that i have good reasons to do so...So Rainbow Dash, spare me the bullshit and tell me who's that motherfucking, cock-sucking son of a bitch who signed his own death warrant!
- In No Glimmer of Hope, Truth delivers a truly brutal one to Starlight Glimmer that also counts as a Breaking Speech, not only driving into her that her philosophy of equality brought nothing but suffering to her fellow villagers, but pointing out the complete fallacy of stripping other ponies of their cutie marks while secretly keeping her own, and correctly guessing the reason why she would want to do so.Truth: You wanted to give those ponies freedom? From what? Themselves? Gru dova suva, no naak grul! Your 'perfect society' is a civilization built upon deceit and lies! The very sins YOU claim cutie marks to represent! Never was there another such as you more blind to the irony of their so-called cause! You sought to take away the 'evil' through acts of your own evil! You would build a world where nopony was truly alive and free, just mindless puppets whose lives and fates were strung to your hooves, to do with as you pleased! Sentient thinking animals reduced to nothing more than toys to play with, simple minds to fill to the brim with empty promises!
Starlight Glimmer: B-but-!
Truth: And you speak of these cutie marks as bringing nothing but pain and misery? Then why, oh 'wise' and 'all-knowing' Starlight Glimmer, would you hold on tightly to your own cutie mark? Why, in all of creation would you, the savior to those poor souls who wandered the earth without feeling of purpose and acceptance, wish to remain branded with a symbol she deemed a mark of shame? If all cutie marks are nothing but a symbol of evil, then what did that make you, hmm? There were some who ventured into my mountain before, who called me a monster. But looking at you, and that horrendous evil mark! Why, you must be even more vile and despicable than I! Perhaps I should be the one to cower and shiver in your presence! Kee kee kee kee kee kee ku ku ku hur hur hur! Oh please, Starlight Glimmer, whose mark makes the Devil himself seem a jolly fellow! Oh please, do not hurt me! KEE KEE KEE KEE KEE KU KU KU HUR!
Starlight Glimmer: Sh... shut... it's not, I mean, I... I...
Truth: But the best part of all of this? You actually believe that YOU created something close to the concept of harmony and friendship? Your infallible order rested upon making ponies believe they weren't special! That friendship stemmed from being part of a group of mindless creatures incapable of thinking for themselves! Unable to have dreams and aspirations in life and taking a chance to fulfill those ambitions! You actually believed that all ponies would be better off living a dull and bland existence, where they grew into old wrinkly stallions and mares who looked back on the life they lived, and found no beauty, no wonderful cherishing memory to take reflect upon as they counted down the final seconds of their life in this world? Even a prison cell offers more of life and freedom than what your 'perfect world' would promise!
Starlight Glimmer: St... stop... it... please...!
Truth: Why, whatever is the matter, my dear Starlight Glimmer? Does the truth behind your philosophy hurt you? But you seemed so blood-bound to your ideals not so long ago? Are you... (gasp) ...are you starting to doubt your own ideals? The near-biblical true way of life that you so persistently forced upon others? Tsk tsk tsk, Starlight Glimmer. If you cannot even defend your beliefs, then your cause has been but a waste of time. For yourself, and for those poor souls who you deceived with your terrible lies and false dreams.
Starlight Glimmer: I... I only... w-wanted...
Truth: Yes, I know. You wanted a world where only YOU were the only important pony alive. Where words like 'special' and 'talented' and 'amazing' only described yourself and not anypony else. You wanted to create a world where everypony entered the world, lived their lives, and then died having never accomplished anything in their time on this earth, because they would never have had a special talent to give them purpose in life. To give them something to dream about and work hard to fulfill, knowing that even if they don't succeed they can at least live on with the knowledge that they took a dare instead of wandering around with hideous false smiles plastered on their faces, wasting away inside until something akin to an empty colorless void remained.
Maybe cutie marks are evil then, Starlight Glimmer. Because yours certainly reeks of sin. Grell dor no kuravas. How can you possibly return to the world outside my mountains, armed with the truth you've learned here? That you're a monster worse than anything Equestria has or will face for years to come?
- The Pieces Lie Where They Fell: Wind Breaker, Night Blade and Xvital are all on the receiving end of these over the course of chapter 30.
- In the Round Robin Fic Ponies and Dragons:
- Chrysalis in one segment has banned "King of Manehatten" (a popular in-universe board game) from her Hive due to one of its Kaiju characters being a hornet-like Changeling Queen—i.e., not her; something she finds personally offensive since SHE isn't held up as a monster like she wants. Chrysalis soon gets a visit from Queen Supia, a titanic Changeling Queen resembling a Japanese giant hornet, and Supia is not amused with Chrysalis' behavior:Queen Supia: [her voice a demonic, buzzing hiss] ...And then I learned of your tantrum over the game. Sending some of your soldiers to harass the poor developers just for NOT making YOU their monster? Do you even KNOW size-shifting spells? Have YOU ever caused a tsunami with just the force of your wings? Have YOU ever crushed a mad daimyo's army LITERALLY underhoof?" [Licks at her mandibles] Do YOU know what kappas taste like when you swallow them whole by the dozens?!
- Chrysalis immediately agrees to revoke the ban, and is left with a paralyzing phobia of anything wasp-like.
- Chrysalis later gets one of her own towards Starlight Glimmer, pointing out how naive she's being for both considering Chrysalis redeemable and considering her evil self even close to Chrysalis's level (considering Chrysalis has destroyed countries).
- Chrysalis in one segment has banned "King of Manehatten" (a popular in-universe board game) from her Hive due to one of its Kaiju characters being a hornet-like Changeling Queen—i.e., not her; something she finds personally offensive since SHE isn't held up as a monster like she wants. Chrysalis soon gets a visit from Queen Supia, a titanic Changeling Queen resembling a Japanese giant hornet, and Supia is not amused with Chrysalis' behavior:
- In the Dark World arc of the Pony POV Series, Twilight lays down one on Angry Pie, killing her over and overnote while verbally tearing her apart for murdering countless ponies for the crime of laughing, turning her foals into killers like her, and trying to kill her former friends when they tried to redeem her.Twilight: [kills Angry Pie, who regenerates] SO TELL ME! DO YOU HEAR ANY OF US LAUGHING, ANGRY PIE?! DO YOU!? DO YOU THINK WHAT FLUTTERCRUEL'S DONE TO OTHERS IS FUNNY? You whine and say you're hurt?! How many have you hurt?! HOW MANY DID YOU HELP CRUEL HURT?! HOW OFTEN DID YOU JUST STAND BY WATCHING APATHETICALLY AS SHE LAUGHED AT THEM!? How many CRIED BEGGING FOR HELP!? GIVE ME A NUMBER, YOU FILTHY HYPOCRITE! [vaporizes her with a fireball] How does it feel to have your hypocrisy deconstructed?! The worst monsters in history still had families, friends. Fluttercruel claimed to love her father. He acts like he loves her! Does that exonerate you all from the countless lives you've ended in needlessly brutal ways?!
The Voice/Nightmare Eclipse: Twilight! You're finally getting it!
Twilight: [blows up Angry Pie] You've been kind to your children, but butchered other foals, mothers, and fathers. Innocent families. How many children died cursing you name after you killed their parents? You're not a mother! You're just Discord's butcher. You say no one but your foals care about you?! So all the time I just wasted trying to coax you back from the dark side and repair our broken bonds, the spite I endured from you, the nonstop attacks you heaped on me while I fought my hardest... No. Not just me, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US HERE!!!! That counts for nothing?! [kills her again, while her friends watch in horror] Pop quiz, Miss Pie: WHAT do you value most? How do you remember the past? Why do you attack those who will never pose a threat to your foals or laugh at you? Do you know or care what Discord will want from you later?!
Angry Pie: I... I... I...
Twilight: Ha ha ha ha ha! Hilarious answer, class clown, but WRONG! Zero percent! F-minus! Flunked out, you meat-headed dunce! [crushes her with a gravity spell] You say you want to kill the past! But you're the one who wants to see your foals alive again! The ones you brainwashed into being merciless killing machines!
Angry Pie: I...I never brainwash— [Twilight incinerates her]
—>Twilight: Discord's brainwashing was magical, yours was mundane!
Angry Pie: I never...forced...any of...
Twilight: Never forced?! Hah! I admit, I really wasn't paying proper attention during my 'Twilight Tragedy' days, so I'll have to imagine myself in one of your adopted foals' horseshoes. Of COURSE I'd've been in lockstep with everything you said! Knowing YOU, I'd've been too scared to SMILE, let alone perform any simple act of childish disobedience! Where could I have ever run away, from a bloodthirsty bloodhound like you?! Every day with YOU as a caretaker would be like living in a house with land mines in it!
Angry Pie: [screaming] LIAR!!!!
Twilight: There's no kind way for me to say this, Angry Pie: you're going to Pony Hell. This very moment; I end your wretched existence. Today you begin paying for a millennium of murderous tantrums, for molding innocent youngsters into thugs, and for not even TRYING to atone when your friends reached out to you. If Pony Hell doesn't exist for a truly unrepentant monster like you, IT DOESN'T EXIST AT ALL. And that would simply be the worst injustice imaginable, wouldn't it?
The Voice/Nightmare Eclipse: Yes. Exactly, Twilight. It would be. The final injustice. If Hell does not exist, it must be made. Say goodnight and welcome to purgatory! Hehehehehheheh HAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!
Twilight: [begins to conjure her Destruction spell to finish off Angry Pie] You helped Discord use this spell on Cadence! Now you can enjoy it!
- Sparkler gives one to her maternal grandmother, Dancing Hooves, laying out what a terrible mother she's been to Derpy (Sparkler's own mother). She points out that even though Dancing never thought Derpy was capable of anything due to her disability, she's made her own path in life and been a wonderful mother to her daughters, which makes Dancing miserable because she can't accept that the daughter she hated has grown up to achieve great things. It hits so hard that Dancing actually breaks down crying at the end of it.Sparkler: Listen to me, grandmother, and listen good. I know you tried to MURDER your own daughter because you thought she was challenged. I think deep down inside, mom knows it too, and is just too nice to accept it.
Dancing: [looking completely shocked] I...I thought I was doing it for her own good! I thought she had no future!
Sparkler: No future, huh? Well look at the future she actually GOT. She just got invited to Canterlot to be honored by Princess Luna herself. Shes been employee of the month at the post office for as long as I can remember. Shes been the best mother to me and my sister a pony could ask for. And shes HAPPY! While youre miserable. Yeah, I said it, you think I cant tell? Every GOOD thing mom has going for her is like a knife through your heart, isnt it? To know shes a better mother and a better PONY than youll ever be?
Dancing: BUT IT WAS ALL I KNEW AT THE TIME!
Sparkler: And all she knew when I was a foal was I was stubborn, disrespectful, and thought she was embarrassing, but did she try to throw me away just because I MIGHT become a delinquent?...You know, thinking about it, Im going to thank you. For showing me what a fool I used to be. I used to be embarrassed of mom, I moved to Canterlot to get away from Ponyville and her... and looking at you, at the bitter, miserable old nag youve become, I realize what a moron I actually was. I was a worse daughter than she ever was to you, and all shes ever done is love me with all her heart and do whatever she could to make me happy.
After everything youve done to her, all the pain youve put her through, all the love you shouldve given her and didnt, and she doesnt even know you tried to kill her. Shes just too nice a pony for that thought to cross her mind. She still wanted you there to see her honored by Luna, not to rub it in your face, not to brag, but so once in her life, she knew you were proud of her. Personally, if I were her, Id have just told you to go straight to Pony Hell...Actually, youre already there, arent you? I hope you enjoy it.
- As a young Concept, Celestia witnesses the three pony tribes of Equus being torn apart by their hate for each other, and asks Entropy for help in stopping them. Entropy gives her command of the Windigos, but because of their Literal Genie nature, when Celestia commands them to "end hatred among ponies", they start an Endless Winter with the goal of wiping out all ponykind (because no ponies = no hatred). Furious, Celestia blames Entropy, assuming that she was behind the Windigos bringing death to Equus, and this happens:Celestia: WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE REFLECTIONS? THEY'RE BRINGING DEATH TO THE WORLD! NOT SALVATION! IS THIS YOUR IDEA OF A JOKE?! WHAT OTHER ORDERS DID YOU GIVE THEM?
Entropy: [lowering her voice] I gave them only one order. To obey all that you commanded and to follow through without failure.
Celestia: YOU'RE LYING!
Entropy: I DO NOT LIE. AN ALICORN STANDS BEFORE ME WITH THE FOOLISHNESS OF A MORTAL BLAMING A HIGHER BEING FOR THEIR OWN FAILURES.
Celestia: LIAR! WHOSE REALLY RESPONSIBLE! WHO'S BEHIND THIS? Discord? Havoc? Luna?
Entropy: (laughs) YOU WILL BE SHOWN. [summons a circle of mirrors that surround Celestia] Behold, the one who brought a frozen end to the world you love so dear.
Entropy: YES. THIS IS THE ONE TO BLAME. NEVER HAVE I SEEN SO FOOLISH A CREATURE IN MY REIGN.
I COMMANDED HER REFLECTIONS TO ONLY OBEY HER COMMANDS. AND SO THEY DID ACROSS THE LANDS.
NO MORE AND NO LESS. IN HER IGNORANCE AND IMMATURITY SHE GAVE THEM A COMMAND TO END ALL HATRED. BUT HATRED MY DEAR IS BORN OF DIFFERENCES. IT IS BORN OF CHOICES. IT IS BORN OF THE ABILITY TO FEEL. THE ABILITY TO FEEL AND EXPRESS HATRED IS BORN OF LIFE! AND THERE ARE THOSE EVEN AMONG YOUR OWN KIND WHO BELIEVE IT IS NOT A SIN TO HATE THAT WHICH IS EVIL!
YOU DID NOT ASK FOR THEM TO MAKE IT SO THEY DID NOT NEED TO HATE OR FIGHT. NOR A WORLD WHERE THEY WOULD NOT HAVE TO. NOR TO MAKE PONIES BETTER THAN HATRED.
YOU TOLD THEM TO MAKE IT AS IF HATE HAD NEVER EXISTED ON THAT WORLD AND TO BE IMPOSSIBLE TO RISE AGAIN.
WHAT THEY DO IS NOT THE EASY WAY TO OBEY YOUR COMMAND. IT IS THE ONLY WAY.
I TOLD YOU THEY WOULD FOLLOW ANY COMMAND WITHOUT REST UNTIL IT WAS FULFILLED.
YOU ASSUMED THEY WERE LIKE MY OFFSPRING, BUT THEY ARE NOTHINGNESS INCARNATE, BORN FROM MY BEING, WAITING FOR SOMETHING TO GIVE THEM ANYTHING TO CONNECT TO AT ALL, THEN CARRY IT OUT. THEY HAD NO FREEWILL OUTSIDE WHAT YOU COMMANDED THEM.
YOU WISH TO SEE WHO HAS BROUGHT THE FROZEN DEATH TO THE WORLD YOU LOVE? LOOK NO FURTHER THAN IN MY MIRRORS. MY LITTLE ALICORN.
THIS IS THE WORLD YOUR CHOICES HAVE MADE YOU CANNOT DENY!
[Celestia, finally realizing the full impact of her actions, curls up and cries]
Entropy: NOT EVEN MY CHILDREN HAD EVER MADE ME LAUGH. SO ENTROPY SHALL GRANT YOU A GIFT. [folds up the mirrors] TAKE THIS SO YOU MAY REFLECT ON YOUR FOALISHNESS FOREVER.
- Sparkler gives one to her maternal grandmother, Dancing Hooves, laying out what a terrible mother she's been to Derpy (Sparkler's own mother). She points out that even though Dancing never thought Derpy was capable of anything due to her disability, she's made her own path in life and been a wonderful mother to her daughters, which makes Dancing miserable because she can't accept that the daughter she hated has grown up to achieve great things. It hits so hard that Dancing actually breaks down crying at the end of it.
- The Powers of Harmony: During their Wizard Duel, Trixie tries to invoke Sympathy for the Devil and justify herself by telling Twilight that ponies of noble birth (like her) have looked down on her for her entire life. Twilight isn't impressed."So a few ponies making fun of you... gives you the right to be mean and nasty... to everypony else?! That's quite possibly the stupidest thing... I've ever heard. I never wanted special treatment... I wanted to be left alone with my studies... and my friends. You've no right to judge me... any more than anypony else... has the right to judge you! Maybe... instead of projecting your problems onto others... you should practice what you preach!"
- The Rise of Darth Vulcan: Vulcan unleashes a nasty one on Luna when she decides to rough him up. Despite Vulcan being chained to a wall and imprisoned, Luna is the one who comes out more rattled.Luna: My sister is too kind and soft for her own good. She would parlay with thee, let thee prattle on. I have no such compunctions. Thou hast brought evil upon our ponies, and thou shalt answer us humbly and swiftly, and give us all the truth we ask—- or feel our wrath!
Luna: Wh-what art thou laughing at?
Vulcan: You. So Celestia sent you in to play 'bad cop,' did she?
Luna: Bad.. cop?
Vulcan: It means she plays nice, then you get to come in and play all mean and hard... and do the dirty work for her. Like always.
Luna: Watch thy tongue, creature. I care not for what thou art implying.
Vulcan: And what am I implying? The truth? Things get nasty, she leaves, you come in to rough me up. Pardon me for trusting the evidence of my own eyes.
Luna: Celestia, did not need to ASK me to put hoof, horn or wing to thee, wretch. I would have done the same on mine own.
Vulcan: If she let you.
Luna: Thou shalt show respect, prisoner. [shoves horn at his face]
Vulcan: Celestia already did the horn-in-your-face thing. She did it better, too. Forget it. I don't speak to Celestia's underling.
Luna: I AM NOPONY'S UNDERLING!
Vulcan: Oh get over yourself. She rules the sun, the thing that keeps everything on the planet ALIVE. You rule the moon— a fricking night light. You were so unimportant that she did your job and hers for a thousand years without help.
Luna: [Hesitant] My sister and I share the throne. I rule with her...
Vulcan: Rule with her? You can't even match her. You tried to stand up for yourself and she spanked your fanny and sent you to your room, and only let you back out when you promised to be a good little filly and obey her. The only reason you're a princess at all is with her permission. And she could take that away any time she wanted. Look at this place. Hell, she built Canterlot while you were gone. It's ALL hers! This is HER castle, HER kingdom, and it has been for a thousand years! You're just the unemployed kid sister she lets sleep on the sofa—
Luna: SILENCE! [Zaps him]
Vulcan: Whatsamatter, honey? Truth hurt? Oh hey, y'not c'mpletely useless, after all... she lets you do all the stuff that would make her look bad. She gets to be the pretty princess everyone loves... an'... an' you get to skulk around inna dark wi' your batponies, scarin' the naughty ponies straight for her. Thousan' years an nuthin's changed, hazzit?
- Twilight gives one to the townsponies of Cirrus and Hilltop, after learning of their acts of cruelty and the felonies they committed.
- In Round Two, Princess Celestia confronts Queen Chrysalis in her hive, to get Chrysalis' terms of surrender. When Chrysalis tries to give a Breaking Speech, Celestia responds with one of these:Princess Celestia: Well, I am a bit older than you, I think, so let me educate you on some simple truths. You think that control equals power. True power is something far more wonderful. You were defeated by something that you dont—and never will—understand: love. You feed upon it, but you dont feel it, do you? Thats why you dont understand how you were driven from MY home. The pure love that Shining Armor and Cadence shared was something so alien to you that even your own vampiric power couldnt handle it. It was love that defeated you, Chrysalis.
- She gives a second one after leaving Chrysalis battered and broken at her hooves after Chrysalis decided to fight her.Celestia: You beat me because Shining Armors love is that pure. That true. And you can never have that. I saw your eyes when our first battle began. You thought you were going to lose. You knew my power then, and you understand that power now. All of these subjects, and none of them care for you at all. You rule out of fear, Chrysalis. I rule out of love. I would never let my subjects come to harm. They love me, and the very least I can do is hope to love them half as much in return.
Chrysalis: You wont get out of here alive. Do you really think my minions wont take you down? How can you think that they wont stop you?
Celestia: The real question is: how do you think that they will? Pray you dont see me again, Chrysalis. [Leaves as the drones give her a very wide berth out of fear]
- She gives a second one after leaving Chrysalis battered and broken at her hooves after Chrysalis decided to fight her.
- Scootaloo's Chaotic Family takes the cake for Blueblood sucks speeches. It helps that the speech is given by Discord himself, who is well and truly disgusted with the prince.Discord: You. Are. Scum. Garbage. Filth. Flea-ridden manure. The only thing youll ever be 'top' of is a Trash. Heap.
Blueblood: I am a prince
Discord: You are nothing but an ITCH on Celestias DOUBLE-WIDE FLANK!!! And the only reason she hasnt taken the half a second shed need from her schedule to SCRATCH YOU is because the impropriety would last longer THAN THE ITCH ITSELF!!! Try to understand me, you incredible dolt. Ive just given you a quarter of my power. Not all of it; that never ends well. But its still enough to rival Princess Celestia. Be a hero. Be a villain. Be SOMETHING!! Make a mark, any mark, on Equestria. Sow chaos, sow order, sow anything. Youre a prince; you have looks, wealth, connections, an improbably well-built body for a pony who lazes as much as you do, a special talent for narcissism, the spirit of the sun for a godmother grandmother, and now you have more raw magical power then any unicorn has ever had. You have so much potential. AND YOURE SQUANDERING IT IN FRONT OF A MIRROR!!! You have twenty four hours to make a mark on Equestria. Thats twenty three more hours than any other pony would need, so Im sure a prince like yourself can handle it.
- The fancomic A Somber Meeting involves King Sombra attempting to win over Twilight Sparkle with a Not So Different speech, but Twilight reveals she's too Genre Savvy for that and angrily tells him off. Sadly, he still gets the last laugh.Sombra: It's funny, we're not so different, you and I. We both-
Twilight: Stop RIGHT THERE, Sombra!
Twilight: I've heard this bit a hundred times in a hundred stories! You're gonna say we're "not so different", rattle off a bunch of traits you think we share, and try to convince me to join your side! Well let me tell you, "Your Highness": we are nothing alike! I earned my friends, my wings, and my crown! You took your throne by force and enslaved other ponies for your own selfish gain! I got to where I am through love and friendship! You tried to get there through fear and violence, and you were defeated for it! Twice! You are not my equal. You're not even a real king. You're just a cliched bad guy straight out of a mediocre fantasy book.
- Fluttershy delivers a stunning one in Sophistication and Betrayal, before throwing Cashmere outside onto the streets.Fluttershy: I have sat here and listened to you belittle my friends, insult their business, and doubt their resolve. And for what?! So you can get some sick thrill from it?! You want to know what Rarity's accomplished? I'll tell you. She faced down a dragon. She attacked a manticore. She banished an evil goddess and defeated the very embodiment of chaos and disharmony. She saved the life of a complete stranger. She committed herself to him because she cared about him. She risked life and limb, time and again, not because she had to, but because she wanted to! Because she has people and ponies who care about her, and she cares about them! She has done more in a few years than you will ever accomplish in your entire, selfish life! You are nothing compared to her!
- A Stitch in Time has this exchange between Twilight and her jerkass of a blind date Algae Bloom, in reference to Algae's earlier remark about how her pet store job mostly consists of cleaning "slimy plants" out of the tanks. Twilight decides she's had enough after coming back from the bathroom and finding another drink already waiting for her.Twilight: Cyanobacteria.
Algae Bloom: What? Is that some kind of nerd code word?
Twilight: What you scoop out of the fish tanks. They arent plants, theyre cyanobacteria. You know, pond scum.
Algae Bloom: Oh. So what? Whats the difference?
Twilight: Proper classification is important, and those are two completely different things. Just because you dont appreciate them doesnt mean they arent good and important things. They provide something like twenty or thirty percent of Equestrias oxygen, and theyre essential to the nitrogen cycle too. None of us would even exist without them.
Algae Bloom: Well to me theyre just squicky, worthless ooze.
Twilight: They survive almost anywhere, you know. From salty ocean water to rocky desert soil. You can try to kill them over and over again but they just always seem to bounce back. I just wanted you to know so that if some other mare in the future thinks its clever to tell you that youre pond scum because youve treated her the way youre treating me, its not as much of an insult as you think. If anything, its an insult to the cyanobacteria. Frankly, you arent worth cyanobacterias attention.
Algae Bloom: It's a good thing you're a hot piece of flank, because I don't know how anypony could put up with how weird you are if you weren't. Seriously, you should just shut up and have a few more drinks.
Twilight: Yes, I'm weird. I say and do crazy things sometimes. Things nopony understands, not even me. But some ponies, not horrible little stupid ones like you, mind, some ponies try. They don't know me, but they want to and they see that all those weird things are actually pretty wonderful. They look past how messed up I am. I thought I had to push one of them away because she doesn't see what I'm really like, but I was wrong.
Algae Bloom: Where are you going now?
Twilight: To get her back. Oh, and by the way? It's not as if it ever would have been fine, exactly, but you picked the worst possible time to try to get me liquored up so you could take me to bed. I happen to just have adopted a zero tolerance policy for mares who try to warp others' minds for their own pleasure, and if I ever hear from anypony that you've been getting fillies drunk and taking advantage of them they will never find your body.
Algae Bloom: Wow, I didn't realize you were going to turn into such a psycho bitch over a drink.
Twilight: Don't worry, it takes more than that to bring out my worst. A lot more. You don't even meet the detection threshold to register as something bad happening to me. If you ever do, you'll know. Briefly.
- In the webcomic series Trixie Vs, Trixie gets an ear full, after she finally drives The Hearts Warming Ghost who was trying to help her too far. (It Makes Sense in Context)Ghost: You are by far the most arrogant, obnoxious, contemptible, and oblivious pony that I have ever had the displeasure of having met in all my years...
Ghost: Dont interrupt me. Now as I was saying... You're without any empathy, tact, humility...
[Later, back at Trixie's wagon.]
Ghost: Your soul is an appalling dump heap, overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of rubbish imaginable.
[Several hours later]
Ghost: ...And with that, my time here is done. But next year, I will go all out to finally get this done.
- Not that this has the slightest effect on her.
- In The Umbra King, Rarity gives one to Sombra after rejecting his offer. He ends up agreeing with her, and dies saving everyone.Rarity: Sombra... Youre a coward.
Sombra: What was that? [he hissed, taking several steps closer]
Rarity: I said: youre a coward. Youre afraid. Youre afraid of trying to protect something... and failing. Thats why you leaned on the dark magic of the Nightmare Gem... Thats why you didnt come to protect me or Sweetie Belle when we needed you most. Thats why you lost your cutie mark... Youre afraid.
Sombra: Watch your mouth. [takes another step closer] If you truly wanted to save your sister you would take my offer. You know I can remove you both from this situation.
Rarity: I have a duty to my sister, but I also have a duty to all of Ponyville! I'm... I'm one of the ruling ponies... I'm the element of generosity... and I would give up anything for my friends... Even my life. I won't give up on my destiny just because I'm afraid I'll fail. Unlike you.
- Princess Celestia gives a short yet brutal one to her former student Breaking Dawn in Vengeance of Dawn. This is especially hard for her to experience as she loves Celestia just as much as Twilight does, which motivated her to do all of her horrible deeds in the first place trying to get back into her teacher's good graces.Celestia: You are condemned entirely for faults your own, Dawn. As a student you were vain, lazy, disrespectful to your professors and disdainful of your fellow students. And now, as a grown mare, you have grown vicious and cruel. What you did to Cadancenote , whatever your intentions to reverse it, whatever your motives, your actions these past weeks have been absolutely unforgivable. You have disappointed me in ways I never believed possible, Dawn. As much as I regret my failure to better help the filly that you were, the mare that filly has grown up to become disgusts me.
- Despite this, Dawn still doesn't get it. It takes the Element of Magic itself telling her she sucks for her to finally get it.Element of Magic: [as the Magic Crown electrifies Breaking Dawn with lightning after she puts it on] So you are the pony who sought to gain the powers of Harmony? Arrogant fool, did you truly think yourself worthy?
Breaking Dawn: [in agonizing pain] Yes...
Element of Magic: Then you are as stupid as you are over-proud. One such as you, who creeps and crawls and strikes from the shadows, will never be fit to embody Harmony.
Breaking Dawn: But, you called out to me, I heard you singing...
Element of Magic: A siren song, to lure those who would seek me out of the desire for power or fame. My true bearer hears nothing from me, for I am nothing to her but a means to protect that which is truly precious.
Breaking Dawn: [as the Magic Crown begins to transform her into a demon] What's happening to me?
Element of Magic: You are being punished for your hubris. You will wear your soul upon the outside now.
Breaking Dawn: No, please. I was supposed to be great, known throughout the land.
Element of Magic: You will be. As a cautionary tale.
Hard Candy: [trying to pull the crown off Dawn's head, despite getting shocked with lightning when she tries] Get it off her, get it off!
Razor Wind: [also trying] It won't come, it's like it's fused to her head or something!
Cherry Blossom: [hugging Dawn] Please, Dawny, please stop. Come back to us. You don't have to hurt. You don't have to suffer alone because we're all here.
Breaking Dawn: [silently thinking] Is this hurting them?
Element of Magic: Only when they touch you.
Breaking Dawn: Do whatever you like to me, but you can't hurt them, they don't deserve it.
Element of Magic: Then make them let go.
Breaking Dawn: [out loud] Let go. Get away.
Razor Wind: [still trying to pull the crown off] No can do, sunshine. I'm coming away with this crown or not at all.
Laurel: You can't leave us, Dawny, we need you. You make us more than what we are, you always did.
Hard Candy: We already lost you once. We can't lose you again.
Hardy Bloom: Please, Dawn, if our friendship means as much to you as it does to us...
[the lightning disappears and Dawn's transformation reverses]
Element of Magic: Your friends are worthier than you yourself. Be thankful for them.
- Despite this, Dawn still doesn't get it. It takes the Element of Magic itself telling her she sucks for her to finally get it.
- At the end of What Have You Done, the Mane 5 (sans Twilight) get this from their own Elements of Harmony, stating that how they treated Twilight means they are no longer worthy as bearers. Unfortunately(?), only the part from Loyalty to Rainbow Dash is given in full.Element of Loyalty: When you chose your homeland over your friends, you threw me away, saying you werent worthy, because youd chosen one precious loyalty over another. I fault not my bearer for loving, for being loyal to many. But you cast me aside for that petty little thing. But now, you come to me? After choosing a stranger over your friend? Fame and praise over loyalty? How dare you. I reject you as my bearer.
- In Why Am I Crying?, Silver Spoon gets a harsh one from Green and Shady Daze while they beat her up, taking the opportunity to get revenge on her now that her friend, Diamond Tiara, is dead.Silver Spoon: P-please! Leave me alone! Im sorry I bullied you! Im sorry for everything I did! Just stop hurting me!
Green Daze: Aw, look at that bro, she wants us to stop. How come you never stopped when you and your dead friend were mocking us for being babies because we were, what were those words, oh yeah, blank flanks?!
—>Shady Daze: [spits on Silver Spoon] I wish that carriage killed both of you! The world is better off with Diamond Tiara dead and rotting in the ground! They should just put her in a ditch and bury it unmarked so the worms can eat her pretty little face! Nopony would care! Well, maybe you, but then again you both are horrible ponies who deserve worse!
Silver Spoon: I-I-I know I was...cruel, but I didn't—
Shady Daze: Know? Know?! You know nothing! All you ever did to us "blank flanks" was make our lives miserable! You know how many fillies and colts you sent home crying? You know how many ponies hate you? You should just crawl under a rock and die! That way, you and Diamond Tiara can both be friends again in Tartarus!
- In 7teen, Michael gives a rather brutal one to Emma's rude friend, Susan, whom was an Expy of Claire Dunphy in Save Yourself, Part 5.Michael: What the hell is your problem?
Michael: You can't talk to him like that! Who do you think you are!?!
Susan: What did you just say!?!
Michael: You're despicable! Terry may not be perfect, but he's a good person and he deserves way better than you! You know? My ex-wife was just like you, and I was just like Terry until I saw her for what she was: a cold-hearted, condescending, judgmental, hypocritical, narcissistic sociopath! You don't deserve Terry AT ALL! You belittle people if they mess up even slightly, when you screw up you get mad at the other person instead of just fucking apologizing, and you torture anyone who even slightly disagrees with you! Why else do you think that no one wants to be around you? Why else do you think people hide in their cars to avoid seeing you, eh?
Susan: Oh, yeah? Well if Terry WERE like you, he'd have scarred his kids for life just like you!
Michael: Don't you fucking DARE tell me how to raise my kids! I stayed with them, I was fair to them, I helped them! You don't care about anyone but yourself. It makes me sick! Now why don't you SHUT UP and be grateful that ANYONE wants to be in your life!
- Alex has the titular antagonist saying one to Marceline (and interestingly enough, plays word-by-word homage to the speech Ranger Smith gave Yogi Bear in the 2010 live-action movie)Alex: That's the problem, Marceline, all that pranks you've pulled. Hey, you know what would be great? If you didn't make pranks. If you could just be a regular vampire. You know, sleeping in her coffin during the day and minding her own business at night. But nope, you're different, you're stagnant, and you have to spend your days being selfish and destructive while everyone else pays the price. I'm sure it's been enough to screw up Bonnibel's life. This time, you had to go down, and turn the Land of Ooo into a dark swamp. Tell me, Marcy, how far you would go now?
- In What a Way to Fall, being a Recursive Fanfiction of the Financial Crisis Gangbang, has several of these.
- Spain, of all people, delivers a very blistering one to South Italy, calling him out for his self-centered attitude, the way he acts like the world owes him something and for being a Jerkass and declaring his disappointment for him. South Italy attempts to fire one back, calling Spain out on his blatant favoritism of North Italy, but Spain refuses to hear it.
- A nightmare vision of New!America dishes out some brutal ones to her predecessor's rapists as well, warning them that should they do to her what they did to Alfred, she won't let them off as easily.
- Canada also delivers some towards his brother's attackers as well, most especially to England and North Italy.
- Another Recursive Fanfiction of the FCGB called Parting Sentiments has America deliver a brutal one to England after the latter attempts to apologize to him for the assault. The author (who also wrote What a Way to Fall) states she was inspired by Bojack Horseman for the speech (with some parts being lifted word for word).America: I'm not going to give you even an ounce of forgiveness for what you did to me on that day, Arthur. You don't deserve any of that. You have to live with this shitty thing you did for the rest of your life, and its going to be a very, very long one. You have to know that it's never, ever going to be okay! Because no matter how long it has been or will be since that day, no matter how much therapy I get, no matter how much alcohol I drown myself in, no matter how sorry you feel, I can never feel better or "get over it"! And I sure as hell am not going to forgive you just because you feel bad and you need to clear your conscience! Do you know what it was like for me? I had nobody. Even Matt couldn't completely understand! I knew all those phonies like Ivan, and Yao, and maybe Kiku and Lovino, would turn their backs on me the second the going got rough, sure. But you? You didn't just hurt me, Arthur; you fucking stabbed me in the back, humiliated me, took away all of my dignity and then some, and then shat all over the trust and love that I had for you like it meant absolutely nothing to you! You swore that you would protect me and have my back. And you abandoned me. I will never forgive you for that! Now get the fuck out of my house.
- In the Diablo III shrine, at the final confrontation with the Big Bad, the main character Benamin delivers one:Benamin: Even now, in the end, when I think back to all the things youve done, all the pain youve caused for whatever sick reasons fester in your soul, all I feel is pity. When you birth an entire region of space-time, all I see is conflict. Pain. Suffering. You profess to have such unimaginable power, but all you know how to do is be a complete prick.
- In Think Once, Think Again, Natsu and Lucy exchange them when he and Erza confront her over her supposedly beating Lisanna up.Natsu: You weak, useless little whore. When we met back in Hargeon, I thought to myself 'Hey, she looks nice. She'd make the guild return to normal'. Yeah, I just needed you to be a replacement. And when you fucking moan 24/7 about not having rent, I just wanna slap you! Have you at ANY POINT thought about us? Probably not, because your one of them wannabe Mages who deserve to rot in hell! And I swear, on Igneels life, if you hurt ANYONE within Fairy Tail... I show you the true meaning of pain, one worse than Death!
Lucy: I'm weak? How am I weak?! I just silenced THE titania Erza? When have you ever been able to do that, Natsu? You have no right to talk to me like a pile of shit, so SHUT THE FUCK UP!
Natsu: You're the weakest. It's a shock to even say that you're a Celestial Mage.. You should be ashamed!
Lucy: IGNEEL SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOU! IGNEEL TAUGHT YOU TO PROTECT NAKAMA, NOT TO HURT THEM! REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY HAVE DONE! I DIDN'T EVEN HURT LISANNA, WE WERE LIKE BEST FRIENDS! HAVE YOU TURNED BLIND? OR DID YOU JUST FORGET THE FACT THAT FAMILY MEANS THE WORLD TO ME!?
Natsu: YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IGNEE! YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP!
Lucy: I KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT HIM TO KNOW THAT HE THINKS THAT YOU'RE A DISGRACE!
- In Another Chance, this happens between Levy and Lucy after Levy, along with most of the rest of the guild, is tricked into thinking Lucy beat up Lisanna.Levy: You bitch. You were so jealous of poor Lisanna and found that violence was the way to solve it. I can't believe you, I expected better from somebody like you.
Lucy: Levy... No... I expected better from you. For somebody who's pretty much been my friend ever since I joined, you would seriously take someone that you told me you barely had a connection with, over me? Or are you just believing her story because everyone else does?
- Purple and Black Reloaded: Kirsche von Einzbern aka an Einzbern-raised Sakura Matou who sees Kiritsugu and Irisviel as her real parents gives one to Aoi Tohsaka after Kirsche gives Rin the Magus Killer treatment, implicitly calling her out for trying to pull a '...what would your parents think...' after how she treated her own child.Aoi: Do you really think your parents would be proud when they see you now?
Kirsche: My father is the Magus Killer. He wouldn't be proud, but he wouldn't be angry or disappointed either. As for mother...I never met my mother. And even though I really wish I could meet her someday, I also know that it's impossible. But I know this much: she'd be disappointed at the extent I've gone to this day, but she would understand. She would accept me. My father would accept me. That's because parents always accept their children regardless of the circumstances.
- Payback from a Pipe: Following Quagmire's brutal beating of Brian in "Quagmire's Dad" Stewie takes Quagmire, beats him up some and gives Glenn a RYSS in response to the one he gave Brian in "Jerome is the New Black".Stewie: You, Glenn, are the worst type of person on this planet... You are nothing but a hypocrite... You accuse Brian of lusting after Lois, but you fucking got caught spying on her in the can... you tried to hook up with her after Peter lost his memory, you used my pacifier as a sex toy, you're a convicted sex offender, pedophile, AND necrophiliac... and you accuse Brian of being a tool... but look at you! Brian at least TRIES to better himself with college and careers, but you... we RARELY see you working and I wouldn't be surprised if you just got into the pilot business just so you could fuck every stewardess into the mile-high club! So what if Brian craps on the fat guy's lawn, HE'S A FUCKING DOG! DOGS DO THAT YOU IMBECILE! You've fuckin' hit on Meg, Connie... you destroyed Cleveland's marriage and fucked Loretta's corpse... you treat women as if they're nothing more than objects... you act like you're some well-read snob, but in reality the closest thing to a novel you've probably ever read is the Private Parts book! But you know what... I could possibly, POSSIBLY forgive you for all this... but for one small fact. You're a shithead... a hypocritical, perverted, sexist, violent little shithead!
- In Stupid Devil Dog Saito tears Louise a new one, when she tries to stop him from leaving Tristain Academy for entierley selfish reasons:Saito: "I'm leaving because you ripped me out of my home, my family, my friends, my future, my life. I'm leaving because your terrible magic is twisting my mind, and wiping memories out of my head. Hell, you probably didn't even consider that I had a life before I got here. You are insensitive and self-centered. I'm leaving and nothing you do can stop me."
- Amazingly, this actually gets through to Louise and for possibly the first time ever, she thinks of the implications of dragging Saito into her world.
- The Steep Path Ahead:
- The Cardinal gives a very long and epic one to Karin, to her face.Cardinal: . The only one to blame is you, Duchess! You couldn't wait! You had to find your daughter on the double! On the triple! Didn't matter the number of diplomatic accidents it would cause! Didn't matter if the Germanian ambassador was throttled out of a window, or if half the knights of the corps suddenly resigned to follow you in your inane crusade! For three years, I sought out your daughter through my own means, just so I could slap in your face your weakness when compared to the Crown! But then you had to go and move a mountain. You had to build an outpost, you just had to order the knights of the Manticore to follow you! And those fools did! The King told them not to, and they followed you! Do you have any idea what that meant?! That was the closest you could have gone to treason! The Crown has power as long as the people that swear fealty to it respect it! But to find your daughter, you decided to shit on Everything! The nobles whispered! It's always been about magic, our nobility! The Duchess can move a mountain-what can our King do? The Duke's the bastard in the royal line; he's a descendant of Brimir too! So, frankly? When someone killed your second daughter? I was glad they did just to see you realize how weak you were. So no, I had no intention of giving you back your daughter just so you could return to court with your heir after having thrown the worst of all temper tantrums. My king died of worry and heartache, fearing for his kingdom to be divided, because of you! The Queen would never have punished you. The Princess is too innocent for the politics of the court. So I did what I had to do for the King and for the Country of Tristain, and there goes not a day where I am not glad I did what I did, because right now, in court, you are alone Duchess. It took me decades, and your husband-oh you should be glad your husband did his best to hold on to what little he had. If you had been alone, I would have taken everything from you, the title, the power, the money-everything, but not your life. Just like you took my King away. Just like you weakened the Crown. And yet, for all of my work, I was willing to accept my punishment. Founder knows the sleepless nights, how wrong it was to keep a child away from its mother-a child who had no sins for being born to a selfish bitch. So, Duchess, I knew where your daughter was, and I hid it from you. To this day, I will apologize to your daughter a hundred of times, but do not think even for a second I would not do this again. You committed treason, and you were punished for it. Be thankful the crime was not paid with your life and that of all those who followed you rather than the crown!
- Julio lays into Saito's Thou Shall Not Kill attitude in Chapter 97.Julio: Truly fascinating, your naive innocence is so refreshingly disgusting I never thought I'd see something similar if not in young children, pampered by rich parents. As the Gandalfr, you are an utter failure. You, lead an army? You'd barely take a step and then run away at the first sign of blood. When ideals clash, it's only those willing to go the extra mile that eventually win. Keep your childish feelings to yourself-you had so much potential...and you squandered it playing the adventurer.
- The Cardinal gives a very long and epic one to Karin, to her face.
- The villain Final Fantasy IX fic Go Not Gently deliver one to an adult Eiko Carol as she tries to defend Zidane's heroism.Tango/Vivi: What we did together, was it so courageous? Zidane walked among us as an angel of death, down in the dark places, his heart a crippled worm of blackness worse than Kuja's. Worse than Garland. He danced the dance of death and everything he touched turned to dust, linden-bloom. We walked in Alexandria and it exploded. We walked in Lindblum and it exploded. We walked in Burmecia and it exploded. We walked in Cleyra and it exploded. We walked in Terra, the dead planet, and it died. Do you truly know the things Zidane did, down, down, in the dark, with his hands and feet and mouth?
Eiko: Zidane was a hero. Shut up! Shut up!
Tango/Vivi: Zidane was a liar!
- Chrom tears Frederick a new one in Pretender when he finds out the latter has been dating Robin behind his back, especially when Frederick told Chrom that he wanted to stay friends with Robin.Chrom: You spent the last few years sidling up to him, all the while lying to me about it being a friendship based on your guilty conscience. You once said I was 'irresponsible' for thinking that you two were in a relationship. You've done well, Fredericson, pulling the wool over my eyes, had me worried for you both and made it look like I was in the wrong for making assumptions. Ha! Was I crude to use the word 'design'? I think not! We have not one great strategist in this castle, but two. In that regard mayhap you are perfect for him - I will never compare when it comes to cunning.
- Lucina Reacts: Cordelia rips into Robin and Lucina for refusing to confess to each other, precipitating them actually confessing to each other.Cordelia: You two are in love! Face it! Dont tell me Ive mistaken my signs. Dont tell me anything like that! Robin, Ive been your friend for as long as you can literally remember. Do you think for a second I never noticed how you looked at Lucina? How you always worry about her? Do you? Do you think you can lie to me?! And you, Lucina. Morgan looks exactly like you. She has your hair. The Mark of the Exalt. Ive seen her use the Falchion. She couldnt be any more of your daughter if she tried! Dont you dare try to avoid it. There, Im going to say it again. Robin, Lucina loves you and wants to spend every single waking moment with you. Lucina, Robin would want to do nothing more than make you his wife and make up for every last thing hes wronged you in.
Im angry because my two closest friends short of Sumia are being idiots! You two have denied yourselves the happiest days of your lives! You two know you love each other, but refuse to admit it to anyone, even yourselves! As your friend, I cant just stand by and let you do that! Im obligated to make you two happy! Do you want to suffer for the rest of your lives?!
Do you two honestly, genuinely believe, that you dont love each other? Do you?
- Two in A Brighter Dark that really stand out.
- The first one being from Flora to Corrin, at the end of the Ice Tribe arcFlora: Tell me, was it fun? Being such a pariah? Dancing around, drinking and fucking whenever you felt? Not a care in the world, no feeling of responsibility? Of course...how could you possibly know the pain of those around you, when all you could see was the bottom of a bottle? I don't blame you, princess, no more than I would blame an idiot child for breaking its toys.
Corrin: I wasn't perfect, I know...I made mistakes. But I always thought of you as a friend.
Flora: Blind to the end...I served you, from the moment I started I had to watch you squander all that my tribe could only dream of, my sister is enslaved to you, she turned her back on us for you, then you come and murder my real friends, and force those who remain back into a life of servitude, all for you...don't you get it by now? I hate you...I always have. I want you to remember this moment, every time you feel the sins marked on your back, the moment I finally confessed. Every moment serving you was a torture, I couldn't look at you without refueling my contempt, You'll never know how many times I prayed that one of those prisoners would get lucky and gut you, freeing me from the neverending torment of tending to your superficial needs. I hated you every moment we were together, and I hate you now. I'll die saying it. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you!
- And another from Azura to Sakura after her inability to act leads to the deaths of several prisoners who had previously rescued her.Azura: They didn't die because you weren't strong enough.
Azura: They died because you were strong enough, and unwilling to act with that strength. You wanted to save them, and you failed. Not because you weren't strong enough, but because you were too scared to act. When you got a first glimpse of inhumanity of the world you went to Yukimura and placed the burden on his shoulders, when the correct course of action would have been to resolve the problem yourself. There were many things you could have done if you'd cared enough, but the fact of the matter is that you just weren't willing to make a decision on your own. You weren't willing to be unreasonable in your desire to save them.
Sakura: But... what could I have done then...
Azura: Ryoma would have used his authority to force the magistrate to release them. Corrin would have charged in and freed them with her own two hands, consequences be damned. Mother would have used diplomacy and force them to acknowledge their hidden conscience, forcing them to want to let them go. Any of these options were available to you, so you cannot act as if you were powerless to save them and that's what makes you a failure. If you actually were powerless, it would not be your fault, there would have been nothing you could have done to change the outcome. But because you had the power to save them, that meant you had the obligation to save them; the fact that you refused to meet that obligation is what makes you a failure.
- The first one being from Flora to Corrin, at the end of the Ice Tribe arc
- Sylvain gives a brutal one to his Big Brother Bully Miklan in Those With Ruinous Envy. By this point, Miklan has killed their father, kidnapped their mother, and lured Sylvain to a spot from their childhood so Sylvain could exchange himself for her. Despite Sylvain's pity over his brother being The Unfavorite due to him lacking a Crest, he's fully accepted that Miklan has gone off the deep end and absolutely snaps when Miklan accuses him of being spoiled.Miklan: Youre a fool. You and mother and father abandoned me and now youre saying that things would have been all right if I had just been kinder? Bold words from someone who's had a perfect life.
[Sylvain gets closer to Miklan]
Sylvain: My life was NEVER perfect! How could it have been?! Do you honestly think I was happy being treated like a— a purebred puppy?! Do you have any idea what that did to me?! And on top of it, I suffered years and years and years of abuse. From you! I took it because I wanted a brother! I wanted to love you! Ah. If you had just been there for me, I would have adored you. I would have done anything for you. DAMN IT!
Miklan: Do you honestly think your cries will change anything?
Sylvain: No. Im smarter now. I understand that some of this was about crests. But some of it was because you are just a bad person, Miklan. I dont care if I never see you ever again.
- One happens in Frozen Hearts, when Harald loses a poll conducted among his brothers about whether to help Hans; Harald's side votes "no" and Heins' side votes "yes".Harald: If our kingdom falls... it will be due to all of you. Remember that.
Heins: No, if our kingdom falls, it will be due to you, Harald! And I pray such misfortunes as have befallen Hans never befall me, because I certainly can't depend on you to come to my aid!
- In the second chapter of Darkness Burning, which is set in an Alternate Universe where her parents came back safely, Anna gives her parents one of these after learning about "Conceal, don't feel". She tells them they're responsible for Elsa's depression and attempted suicide."Is Elsa OK?"
"I don't know," Anna says, "because she's terrified she's going to kill me. Why did you tell her she's going to kill me?"
"We didn't say that," Idun says.
"Then why'd you split us up? Why'd you tell her she couldn't feel anything? 'Conceal her emotions, don't feel, don't let them know'? Who thinks like that?"
Her eyes widen with horror. "It's you. Telling her not to feel. Telling her she'll kill people. Sending me away because you don't even think she can love someone without killing them. You're the ones who made her ill. You're the reason she tried to kill herself."
She runs. Neither Idun nor Agdar stop her.
- Anna in The Royal Reunion calls out her parents after being reunited with them, after thinking they were dead for three years. She vents out all her rage at the isolation her and her sister felt due to their parents separating them. Anna gets equally mad about how her parents words caused Elsa to doubt herself growing up.
- In "A Second Chance" has Leela dream about meeting a clone of hers. Said clone then lays into her about her relationship with Fry."Struck a raw nerve, did I?" the copy continued. "Do you honestly believe that you actually care about him? From the way you treated him, I'm surprised that he stayed close to as long as he did; although I have no idea what he saw in you in the first place. You are a bitter, violent, and often inconsiderate woman who has built emotional walls around herself and blocks people who actually care about her from getting too close while letting complete lowlifes through. Honestly, I fail to see the attraction."
- Mikuru delivers these to the entire rest of the SOS Brigade (and some other characters too) when drunk, in You Got HaruhiRolled!.
- Some Semblance of Meaning: The "pragmatic voice" seems to get great satisfaction out of giving these to Vale, constantly telling her that she is a wimpy, nervous, cowardly Horrible Judge of Character whose only talent is caring about people. Also, near the end of the Games, Amber gives a particularly cutting one to Obsidian, mocking him for being weak and compassionate and citing that as the reason why he will never win the Hunger Games. Obsidian responds with a "The Reason You Suck" Speech of his own, in which he undermines all of her points and tells her that caring about others doesn't make you weak; it gives you the strength and drive to carry on and follow through. "The last one standing has to stand for something. Otherwise, you might as well just lay down and die." He then goes on to win the Games.
- The Final Straw begins with three of these as Ichika tells Cecilia, Houki, and even his own sister how he's tired of the way they treated him, and that he's leaving the IS Academy rather than deal with their crap any longer.
- In Roundabout Way, Inuyasha gives a blistering "The Reason You ALL Suck" Speech to Sango (for always taking Kagome's side in an argument), Miroku (for getting involved in issues that don't concern him), Shippo (for being a whiny brat), and especially Kagome (for punishing him with a sit all the time whether he deserves it or not) about all the abuse he's had to put up with from them after Kagome sits him one too many times.
- The Legacy Of The Cursed Mask Series: InuYasha delivers an absolutely scathing one of these to Kagome.InuYasha: "Dammit...that's always the way with you, isn't it, Kagome?! I make a mistake, you get mad and start sitting me. I do something you don't like, and you attack me! You get mad about something you don't like, and you take it out me! You don't get your way, and you go outta your way to make things difficult for everyone else, just like the spoiled brat you are! And I'll just bet that this is the part where you run on back home and leave us all in the lurch! Am I right?! Well, go right ahead! I'm tired of trying to force some sense into that stupid head of yours! Run on back home, if that's what you want! I'm just glad that I have some friends who won't just skip out on me, just because things get a little tough!"
- In the fanfic, Reconciliation, Hanako gets one from a grief-stricken Lilly, when she tries to offer her comfort after Hisao's funeral. While Hanako agrees with the criticism, she also realizes that the speaker did not mean what she said.Lilly: SHUT UP! You dont know what Im going through! You didnt just lose the most important person in your life! You havent had your entire world shattered without warning or reason! I dont have the same luxury you have! When things get too tough, you know what you do, Hanako? You just run away!
- In one chapter of Mean Time To Break Down, Iwanako ends up hospitalized when Emi runs into her, exacerbating her arrhythmia and giving her a concussion. Emi attempts to apologize; but not only winds up making it more about herself than the pain she caused Iwanako, but also lets slip that she accidently did exactly the same thing to another student before who happened to have brittle bone disease, and then still kept on carelessly running through hallways despite that. All throughout the fic, Iwanako had been holding in all of her pain and feelings, and when the latter sees her mother there, still angry over the fact that her own mother isn't here with her, Iwanako hits her Rage Breaking Point and snaps.Iwanako: Look. What the hell is it you want from me?!
Iwanako: Is it forgiveness? You may as well hit the road, because thats never going to happen. Do you seriously think Im okay? You nearly killed me, do you understand that? Why the hell would I ever forgive you for that? Im not the goddamned Pope. I dont have to grant you a tabula rasa just because you only almost ruined my whole goddamn life.
Iwanako: And youre seriously telling me that this isnt even the first time that this has happened? You go to a school for the disabled and you just, what, ignored a dozen warnings? What kind of freaking idiot are you? Sure, youre remorseful. Good for you. I dont give a damn. How are you any different from some drunk driver who only feels bad after he finally spins out and murders half a family? And, yes, Im not dead, thanks for noticing, though maybe youve knocked ten years off my life, for all I even know. And thats not even mentioning the concussion you gave me, thanks for that. And I didnt tell the school to do a single goddamn thing, so dont blame me for whatever they did. Sorry, not my problem. You should have thought of that before you went sprinting through the halls. You want me to feel better? You want to make things right? You can start by getting out of my life. God knows its short enough already without you in it! What the hell are you waiting for?! GET OUT! GET! OUT!
- Near the ending of The Vow, Jade attacks Lord Shen in order to furiously give him a piece of her mind about how he's about to drag down everyone with him in his campaign to conquer China, including her lover and his loyal best friend, Zhan the Wolf Boss. Shen, who's been for days in Villainous BSoD due to releasing his newlywed wife Lianne out of love, actually considers the dhole's words and realizes she's right. He then lets her go, takes out Zhan with a Pressure Point and sends him away with the majority of his wolf pack right before the final confrontation with Po, ensuring their avoidance of their canon fate.
- Link gives one to Mido in Awesomeness Of The Ocarina. It is also played with, because it is more of a Badass Boast.Link: "Why yes, young Mido. I wield [the Kokiri Sword] tightly so that I may smite any enemy that stands in my way. And most importantly is the symbol that these two items make when they are placed together. It is the symbol of your defeat by my hands once again. It proves that your status as my rival is but a joke delivered by a sad clown and is dismissed just as quickly. It tells the depressing story of how a young man, you, constantly tries to face the invincible giant, me, in a battle of wits, yet even though you keep trying and keep trying, your sheer suckatude always causes you to be crushed by my sheer awesomeness. I weep for you, young Mido. I weep for others like you, who feel as though you could possibly defeat awesome main characters such as myself. In fact, maybe I can consider myself as a Mary Sue compared to you. Your shittiness as a character, no... as a soul in this universe, is only useful for one thing, and that is to glorify my existence. Lastly, this sword and shield is a reminder that no matter what you accomplish in your life, compared to me, you will always and forever be shit."
- During chapter 33 of Wisdom and Courage, Princess Zelda gives a rather biting one that also doubles as a Did You Actually Believe...? speech to Veran:Veran: Impossible! You still live?! I thought I-
Zelda: You thought what? That you had killed me? That Hyrule was yours for the taking? That you had won? Well, you thought wrong. The goddesses will not allow your senseless tyranny to continue any longer and neither will I...
- And it continues a few moments later:Zelda: All you seek is power, Veran. You steal raw power to use as your own and then reap the harvest of the destruction you sow with it. You say that you sought to avenge your fallen people, but in reality all you want is to satisfy your own bloodlust! You claim to be the queen of shadows, but you're really just a monster that crawled forth from them!
- And it continues a few moments later:
- In Perfection is Overrated, Natsuki gives one to The Usurper when it is revealed that he has possessed the Obsidian Lord, and has conjured forth two more SUEs who are imitating Mai and the manga version of Haruka in order to accomplish his goal of remaking the world as he sees fit.Natsuki: "You're a fool... and a hypocrite. You talk of perfection when in fact the only power you yourself had is borrowed. As for your SUEs, all the ones who have come before have been defeated, and the ones that remain are mere copies of Mai and Suzushiro. Surely you've realized that your strength will never be a match for ours? But what you haven't realized is that no matter how much you may try to cheat, steal or copy our powers, you will never be our equals!"
- Ishigami does this to Yukariko when she objects to his scheme.Yukariko: You mean I should betray everyone else?
Ishigami: You already have, Yukariko. You did the moment you decided to frame Yuuki-kun for attacking you. It may have failed and you may have avoided responsibility, but you showed that you wished to survive the Carnival alone with me rather than trust your fate to everyone else. Your God knows this; that's why He is not responding to your prayers intended to ease your conscience. And once it comes out what you've done, the rest of the Himes will never trust you again. The die is cast, as they say; you will make it to the end of the Carnival with me or you will never make it at all.
- Ishigami does this to Yukariko when she objects to his scheme.