Troper321 on Jul 8th 2018 at 6:05:57 AM
Last Edited By:
Troper321 on Jul 31st 2018 at 7:24:36 AM
Page Type: trope
The Ice King is defined as "a man (often attractive) who is popularly known for being cold and aloof". Similar to his female counterpart the Ice Queen, the Ice King is represented by what is considered to be "cold". The Ice King archetype is often an extension of Men Are Tough. Often so, the Ice King is portrayed as having a soft interior with traits that may percieve him as weak, inferior, or even effeminate by others, especially other men. Such as being more In Touch with His Feminine Side, being the Sore Loser nerd, being geninuely caring and compassionate Nice Guy, or initially having a Pretty Boy, attitude.
Becoming the Mask, the Ice King then begins to build a wall of ice to keep others from seeing his true interior personality. Subjecting him to appear and act more harsh and cold. It is not rare for an Ice King to have a Dark and Troubled Past, or been bullied or ridiculed for his original nature. Usually by his Abusive Parents, the Big Brother Bully, the Barbaric Bully, Gang of Bullies, or other groups. This usually leaves him bitter, resentful of others, and often feeling inferior. His exterior is a shell that helps to hide his weakness and pain Beneath the Mask. He may be popularly labeled as the Tragic Hero who has a Hidden Heart of Gold underneath the Hidden Depths.
The Ice King targets specific behaviors that earns him his title: The Stoic who hides his feelings and emotions with an empty gaze that may rival that of the Tin Man; exaggerates a "Don't You Dare Pity Me!" personality to keep from looking weak or having others see him as weak; a nature of Brutal Honesty to isolate himself by being harsh to others; a Cute but Troubled life as he may appear attractive, but underneath is going through war against himself and others; Safety in Indifference, believing it's better that if they don't care or feel then they can't hurt or continue to hurt; and finally, the signature Death Glare which he is widely known for due to the cold and dangerous look in his eye being a direct reminder of why he is crowned the Ice King.
He is classified as being dangerous to love, similar to the Ice Queen, because he can't or won't love back. Women are likely to label extremely standoffish and aloof guys as Ice King's as they refuse to give into their charms and advances unlike most men. He will attract, but he will not allow himself to be wooed. He will steal hearts, but he will not return the feelings. He would be wanted as a romantic partner, but will answer, "I Work Alone". Being an Ice King is all about personality rather than a male individual having ice-powered abilities.
There are several different versions of what could classify a guy as an Ice King, such as:
- Aloof Big Brother: He's older, smarter, and probably more attractive than his younger brother. But he's also the aloof and distant sibling.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Hot in appearance, cold in personality. He may throw his romantic other down the stairs, but this Mr. Fanservice does it out of love. Most of the time.
- Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend: Often known for wearing spectacles and being attractive while he dominates his partner. Often in a manner that makes the audience swoon over his controlling and cold nature.
- Chessmaster: Calculating and strategic, he coldly manipulates events in order to achieve what he wants. People is another word for pawns to him.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: He's completely sweet, caring, and nice, so he acts extra cold, abrasive, and possibly arrogant.
- Manipulative Bastard: If he wants you to sing, he'll make you. If he wants you to dance, he'll make you. If he wants you to sing and dance, he'll make you. You are nothing but his puppet. So expect him to coldly pull your strings.
- Narcissist: The world revolves around him, the attention must be on him, everyone must adore him. And if they don't adore him, then they will fear him.
- Stepford Snarker: A guy who is sarcastic, blunt, and extremely harsh with what he says. If you need someone who will coldly tell the truth without a blink of an eye, he's your man.
- Sociopath: Cold, heartless, apathetic, and possibly a sadist. He will not let anything get in his way, including emotions.
- Stoic Woobie: His life's hell and yet he doesn't cry. He's lost his job but he doesn't complain. It's hard to tell what he's thinking or feeling with his emotionless face. Or even if he can feel anything at all.
Not to be confused with Ice Person or Ice King from Adventure Time. Compare with Cute but Troubled, Good Is Not Nice, Real Men Hate Affection, Beneath the Mask, Dark and Troubled Past, The Stoic, Death Glare, I Work Alone, Don't You Dare Pity Me!, Becoming the Mask, Men Are Tough, Men Don't Cry, and Safety in Indifference. May overlap with Mr. Fanservice, Hunk, or Chick Magnet.
Alternative Title(s): Ice Queen
Feedback: 67 replies