pidget_spinner on May 21st 2018 at 11:07:35 PM
Last Edited By:
pidget_spinner on May 29th 2018 at 5:09:22 PM
Page Type: trope
- Definitely, Maybe: When Will Hayes' daughter, Maya, learns about sex education, she asks her father if how he met her mother. He tells her under the condition the he changes the names of the people in the story. The whole story is told through flashbacks.
- One episode of Hannah Montana features Miley and Jackson going back in time and having to force their parents to meet up like they're meant to do. This is All Just a Dream brought on by their dad attempting to tell the story and being ignored, causing them both to go listen and appreciate the slower moments on the road.
- Taken to an unusual extent in How I Met Your Mother. The framing device is that the show is one giant flashback of Ted in 2030 telling his future kids the events that led up to him meeting their mother. He doesn't actually meet the titular mother until the series finale.
- Bill Cosby has a stand-up routine about how his father would never give him any money but would instead tell him a story about how he made whatever it was Bill wanted to buy when he was a boy, and all of these stories ended the same way: "...and that's how I met your mother!"
- Episode 3 of Life Is Strange: Before the Storm opens with James Amber, Rachel's father, telling the story of how he met her mother. Specifically her biological mother Sera; he goes on to explain how their relationship soured because of her drug addiction and why he doesn't want Rachel to meet her.
- Somewhat downplayed in Adventure Time. Marceline has a flashback to herself as a child, with her mother telling her the story of how she met her demon father, but we only hear the last few words of the story.
- In The Amazing World of Gumball, a large portion of "The Choices" is spent with Nicole recalling how she met Richard when they were children, but she doesn't actually tell her children the story.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: The episode "Perfect Pear" not only tells the story of how the Apple parents met, but who they were, as told by several characters who knew their parents and played a role in their love story.
- On The Simpsons episode "The Way We Was", Homer tells the kids the story of how he and Marge met in high school.
- In Steven Universe, the episode "Story for Steven" is a Whole Episode Flashback of Steven's father, Greg, telling him how he first met Rose Quartz when he was twenty-two.
Feedback: 20 replies