Miss_Desperado on Jul 3rd 2018 at 10:10:24 AM
Last Edited By:
Miss_Desperado on 3 hours ago
Page Type: trope
Beasties (the bigger and more intimidating the better) that respond positively to petting and scritchies will usually have that one favorite spot that'll cause them to drop their intimidating demeanor and flop over like a ragdoll in bliss. The spot may function as the creature's Kindness Button. Count on the Fluffy Tamer to find that spot within seconds.
Compare Music Soothes the Savage Beast which uses music instead of petting.
- The Harry Potter books have this with The Monster Book of Monsters, a Care of Magical Creatures textbook that is actually a furry, sharp-toothed monster itself, and will try to bite the reader if s/he doesn't stroke its spine first.
- In one of The Stainless Steel Rat books, Jim and his accomplice end up on a porcuswine (a huge, ill tempered livestock covered with sharp quills) farm. The accomplice is freaked out when one approaches, but Jim simply takes a stick and starts scratching it behind the ears. Apparently, the quills make it difficult for them to do it on their own, and vermin are making full use of the cover.
- Pokémon: Thanks to Pokemon Amie and, later, Pokemon Refresh, you are able to play with and care for your Pokemon, making them do cute things along the way. This includes Pokemon that could be considered intimidating, monstrous, or even potentially evil, such as Ghost and Dark types or legendaries like Poke-Devil Giratina, Death God Yveltal, and the Poke-God itself, Arceus.
- How to Train Your Dragon has Hiccup discover that giving scrichies at a specific spot under a dragon's chin causes them to flop over. He discovers it on Toothless, then goes on to use that trick during Gobber's training, much to Astrid's dismay.
- Dogs that are friendly enough and trust you will roll over and let you pet between their front legs. Be sure you know the body language difference between a friendly dog asking for a "tummy" rub and a scared dog cowering in surrender.
Feedback: 15 replies