* DeliberateValuesDissonance: The story is told from a feminist perspective, showing how the women are left alone while the men confer among themselves what to do, leaving their wives out of the decision-making process. However, the women are never shown to be any wiser than the men.
* InjunCountry: The pioneers enter Indian territory, though which tribe is unclear. They spend much of their time worrying that they'll be attacked. They encounter only a single Native American who has no weapons or supplies. A few lithographs indicate that some Native Americans have been in the area.
* NoEnding: [[spoiler:The film ends before we find out whether the pioneers found civilization and where the Native American was taking them. As a consequence, the film never says whether the Native American is a villain and never presents the westward expansion of the pioneers as a good or bad thing]].
* RiddleForTheAges: [[spoiler:What was the Native American saying? Where was he taking them?]]
* NoEnding: [[spoiler:The film ends before we find out whether the pioneers found civilization and where the
* LeaveTheCameraRunning: The film includes very lengthy stakes where not much happens. The very first shot is an extended, dialogue-free shot of the pioneers carrying things across a river.
Showing 10 edit(s) of 10