Team 8 is a fanfic about a mystery event before Naruto\'s birth that insidiously alters the narrative of the Narutoverse. That\'s technically what it\'s about, but that\'s not the actual point. The main idea of Team 8 is: What if we took Naruto and Hinata\'s life struggles, made them much more severe and serious, and set them on a journey together to overcome those trials? Pros
- The author explores much untapped story and character potential, and incorporates canon aspects pretty well, with occasional fanon and many clever twists.
- The writing is consistently flowery and engaging.
- Obscure canon aspects are recapped, just in case you\'re hazy on Part 1.
- Naruto and Hinata\'s issues, emotional struggles, and Character Development are very fleshed out and humanizing. This partly works by, as mentioned, making their trials even tougher, and so giving them more substantial personal issues to work through. The two are very rounded and dynamic characters. Their relationship is quite adorable and positive as well.
- Kurenai is fleshed out and serves as a decent viewpoint character and involved, caring mentor.
- Made me care about Shino. Great logical intellectual Foil.
- New/reimagined fight scenes that are engaging and cerebral.
- Several funny moments (e.g. Gai and Lee).
- Sakura\'s Rescued from the Scrappy Heap.
- Chapters 21-24 start to move into exciting original story material.
- Gratuitous Japanese, partly inaccurate. Dropped later on.
- Character criticism is sometimes Heavy-Handed or at inappropriate times (calling Ino a shrew in ch. 1 without her proper introduction, a potshot at Sasuke and Sakura in ch. 8 when they\'re not even there, criticism of Kakashi\'s tardy, aloof nature several times).
- Deconstructing Naruto\'s attire seems unnecessary. Striking character designs are part of the appeal of Naruto. Fortunately, this is a reading medium, so it\'s less distracting.
- Excessive Character Shilling of Kurenai.
- See Schedule Slip.
- With its more mature and introspective nature comes a few darker moments and F-strikes later down the line. Likewise, Naruto and Hinata start out lower so that they have higher to rise. Sensitive readers be warned, but I wouldn\'t quite consider it a Dark Fic.
- Members of the village council and the Hyuuga are rather nasty and insidious, by the author\'s intentions. Your reaction to this may depend somewhat on how you tolerate stark Good vs. Evil stories. How good or bad this is objectively will ultimately depend on their motives and the yet-to-be-revealed original cause.
In order to post comments, you need to