- Critical Dissonance: One of the highest-grossing movies of 2000 despite middling reviews.
- Funny Moments: Mary Feur's very, very loud sex noises.
Claire: What is he doing to her?
- Harsher in Hindsight: In-universe. Norman's remorse over his affair with Madison and her supposed suicide seems genuine enough to make you feel sorry for him. Until you learn that he murdered the poor girl and his "remorse" was either all an act or completely self-centered
- He Really Can Act: Many people who grew up watching Harrison Ford play a hero in so many movies are actually shocked that not only is he the killer, but he plays it just as naturally as he plays his heroes.
- Nightmare Fuel: Many, particularly involving Madison's apparitions, including the corpse.
- The Woobie: Claire and Madison. Tough lives, made even worse by Norman's involvement.