YMMV: The Stormlight Archive
YMMV tropes for the entire Stormlight Archive. YMMV tropes for The Way of Kings are here, and Words of Radiance are here.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Lopen, a bridgeman of lesser importance, is incredibly popular for his cheery attitude and for providing Plucky Comic Relief, along with his vast amount of family members. Almost every time Lopen appears, he's brought another one of his cousins with him.
- Jerkass Woobie: It's hard to fully feel sorry for Szeth when he's murdering people in the name of his religion, but it's horrible to see just how disturbed the so-called peaceful philosophy of the Shin actually is, and how it can warp people's minds and actions.
- Like You Would Really Do It: Killing off Jasnah.
- Nightmare Fuel: So many things, but we are given the first one straight away in the prologue - the Heralds are bound to some endless cycle of death, torture and rebirth. While alive, they fight horrific wars to stop the Desolations, and seem to be truly Blessed with Suck. The prologue ends with one poor bugger still bound to the cycle, with the others unable to continue. We see what's become of the poor guy by the end of The Way of Kings.
- The Woobie: Several characters have this at times, particularly Kaladin and Dalinar.