YMMV: The Monk
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Did Matilda do everything she did out of genuine love for Ambrosio and a desire to make him happy, or was she a demon deliberately sent by Satan to lead Ambrosio into eternal damnation?
- Was Matilda truly a demon, or was it a lie by Lucifer to torment Ambrosio?
- Complete Monster: Ambrosio, the eponymous character, is an epitome of a Sinister Minister character type and the story is about him falling from grace after being tempted to sin. The first scene showing him preaching to the audience hints at his prideful nature. After breaking his vow of chastity Ambrosio jumps to committing kidnapping, Black Magic, rape, murder and incest before selling his own soul to Satan, the only supernatural element left unambiguous in the whole story.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Mother St. Ursula publicly confronting the prioress.
- Fridge Horror: The conspiracy of nuns who knew Agnes was still alive were all killed by the angry mob. If Lorenzo hadn't come across the secret of the statue, she might have never been found.
- Older Than They Think: The scenes between Raymond and the Bleeding Nun are interestingly similar to Jonathan Harker's encounter several decades later with the three brides of Count Dracula...