YMMV: The Legend of Spyro: A New Dawn
You can return to the main page here
- Complete Monster: Empress Tyrania. Big time. She carried out three genocides, including her own species, just to make herself be worshipped as a god. She keeps a torture chamber with a window so she can watch and regularly blows up her own worshippers for kicks. She keeps slaves and made the slave master her sadistic Dragon just to make sure they're miserable as physically possible. She then invades the Dragon Realms, completely intent with the idea she'll need to perform a genocide or two to weed out those no good for slave labor, in fact, she relishes it! When the group finally confronts her, she taunts them over this and kills Ember's father in a slow and sadistic manner and enjoys every second of it. She's so evil that Kage believes that even absorbing her energy could have dire consequences. Ironically, her sadism leads to her demise, as she purposefully drew the battle out as long as she could just to enjoy their suffering, which allowed them to discover her weakness. Reader response universally dub her a monster. She was intentionally made an utterly irredeemable Complete Monster to be a Foil for the sympathetic Deadlock.
- Cry for the Devil: Most reviewers have admitted feeling very sorry for Deadlock due to her tragic past.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Ember has been quite well liked by reviewers for being a kindhearted version of the character as opposed to the normal Ron the Death Eater treatment.
- Fridge Horror: Empress Tyrania tells one of her Gargoyle troops to clean the skeletons out of her torture chamber. While that's bad on its own, it gets worse when you realize that Gargoyles don't leave skeletons behind, meaning she's not torturing Gargoyles to death there...
- Jerkass Woobie: Cyros. She abuses her brother, is plotting to become queen of the Naga by any means, and is willing to do anything to get the power to do so...because she thinks Pyrus betrayed her after promising her to let her be the crown princess only to take it himself (though she only knows her side of the story and not his). Because of this, she no longer trusts anyone and just wants to get enough power that no one will ever be able hurt her like that again.
- Moral Event Horizon:
- The Warden brutally beating up a Cheetah slave for stealing food from him. The Cheetah says he didn't and the Warden replies by telling him it doesn't matter because the Warden said he stole from him. He then describes it as "unwinding" when Ember confronts him about it.
- Boss Kaze crosses this by threatening to "have his way with" Delilah after she's captured.
- Empress Tyrania probably crossed this eons ago when she committed genocide three times just to make herself the self proclaimed goddess of the Gargoyles. Onscreen, she crosses this by killing Ember's father Blaze slowly and painfully right in front of her...then laughs!
- General Grendel's coldblooded murder of Commander Gaia after she had is no longer of use to him. He outright tells her that she meant nothing to him and he was only twisting her love to get her help.
- Nightmare Fuel: Cynder's description of how she got her metal tail and wing blades. She had the bone ones torn out and the metal ones slowly forged into her bones while she was completely awake!
- Ron the Death Eater: Averted. One of the reasons Ember is the Ensemble Dark Horse is just how different she is from the self-absorbed Clingy Jealous Girl she's often portrayed as. Instead of instantly becoming The Rival to Cynder, she and Cynder become best friends very quickly. In fact, her reaction to finding out she'd been hitting on Spyro when he's already mates with Cynder is to go into a Heroic BSOD over the fact she'd not figured it out sooner and feeling extremely guilty over the pain her flirting had caused them.
- Word of God has it one of the writer's main reasons for including her in the story in the first place was being sick and tired of her getting the Ron the Death Eater treatment and wanting to make a more complex and likeable version of the character that was still true to her original character from the classic games.
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: This fic is often credited as the first major adventure fic of the Spyro the Dragon franchise, be it classic, legend, or otherwise. When it was posted, it was often considered one of the best fics in the archive, trying a lot of things that have never been done before in it. However, in this day and age where "post-DotD template" fics are so common to the point of being major Snark Bait for most people in the fandom, A New Dawn tends to be viewed as yet another sub-par "post DotD template" fic at best, or the cause of post DotD template fics in the first place at worse. (Despite the fact that, other than being an adventure set after DotD, it doesn't actually use a lot of the clichés that plague post DotD template fics.)
- The Woobie: Cynder, big time. In addition to the stuff that already happened to her, she has to deal with having her child kidnapped, a psychotic dragoness tormenting her in her dreams, and discovering that while she was Brainwashed and Crazy, she killed her own mother! And then there's in "New Allies", where we discover just how she got her metal blades and the other, related parts of her past that are explored...