This movie contains examples of:
- Awesome Music: The use of music from Bizet's opera, Carmen.
- Ho Yay: Lupus and Tanner, especially in the second movie.
- Retroactive Recognition: Is that Rorschach riding that motorcycle?
- Values Dissonance: A definite product of its time, that's for damn sure. The fact that it got away with a PG rating might baffle some people.
The 2005 remake contains examples of:
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: Despite being a Lighter and Softer remake, the movie is not kid friendly, featuring a lot of swearing, crass and lewd stuff (including the implication that Buttermaker got a stripper joint to sponsor their little league game), and Buttermaker also being implied to have slept with one of his softball teammate's moms.