Jackie Earle Haley
(b. July 14, 1961) is an American actor best known for playing Rorschach in Watchmen
. Previously a child actor
, most notably as Kelly Leak in The Bad News Bears
and the first voice of Jamie Boyle on the early 1970s animated sitcom Wait Till Your Father Gets Home
. He costarred with Johnny Depp
in the Dark Shadows
and Steven Spielberg
's Abraham Lincoln
movie, and will be appearing in the upcoming Robo Cop 2014
- Kelly Leak, The Bad News Bears, (1976) Bad News Bears in Breaking Training, (1977) and The Bad News Bears Go To Japan (1978).
- Billy, Damnation Alley (1977)
- Moocher, Breaking Away, (1979)
- Einstein, Nemesis (1992)
- Frank Jessup, Maniac Cop 3 Badge Of Silence, (1992)
- Ronnie McGorvey, Little Children (2006)
- Rorschach/Walter Kovacs, Watchmen (2009)
- Freddy Krueger, A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
- George Noyce, Shutter Island, (2010)
- Guerrerro, Human Target (2010-11)
- Willie Loomis, Dark Shadows (2012)
- Alexander Stephens, Lincoln (2012)
- Maddox, RoboCop (2014)
Tropes invoked by this actor:
- Ascended Fanboy: He was very honored to find Watchmen fans started an online petition for him to play Rorschach, and that it actually came true.
- Bald of Awesome: Haley shaves his head when not in a role.
- Badass Baritone: as Rorschach
- Career Resurrection: Poster boy for this trope - left acting for over a decade before making a sudden comeback in Little Children, and is now enjoying a healthy career.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Rorschach is a redhead; Haley has naturally dark hair. Not only did he have to have his hair dyed, but also his eyebrows and stubble.
- Former Child Star: He was Kelly Leak, and is now making a successful adult career.
- He Really Can Act: People were likely skeptical about a little known former child actor playing Rorschach. Then he completely knocked it out of the park.
- At the same time, his comeback turn in Little Children was universally praised and earned him an Oscar nomination for playing a very complex, creepy role, so people familiar with that film were not surprised.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Haley is currently making a career out of playing very scary people (Rorschach, Freddy Krueger). He is in fact a sweet, gentle family man with two kids.
- Nerd Glasses
- One of Us: He was a big fan of Watchmen long before being cast in the role. He made an audition tape with friends where he acted out scenes as Rorschach.
- One-Scene Wonder: In Shutter Island.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: He's 5 feet 5 inches and has blackbelts in taekwondo and kenpo. Quite fitting for Rorschach.
- The Short Guy with Glasses: As mentioned, 5′5″.
- You Might Remember Me from...: For a while best known as Kelly Leak; he's now best known as Rorschach.