Jackie Earle Haley
(b. July 14, 1961) is an American actor best known for playing Rorschach in Watchmen
. Previously a child actor
, most notably as Kelly Leak in The Bad News Bears
and the first voice of Jamie Boyle (the youngest son) on the early 1970s animated sitcom Wait Till Your Father Gets Home
. He costarred with Johnny Depp
in the Dark Shadows
and Steven Spielberg
's Abraham Lincoln
movie, and will be appearing in the upcoming RoboCop (2014)
- Kelly Leak, The Bad News Bears, (1976) Bad News Bears in Breaking Training, (1977) and The Bad News Bears Go To Japan (1978).
- Billy, Damnation Alley (1977)
- Moocher, Breaking Away, (1979)
- Einstein, Nemesis (1992)
- Frank Jessup, Maniac Cop 3 Badge Of Silence, (1992)
- Ronnie McGorvey, Little Children (2006)
- Rorschach/Walter Kovacs, Watchmen (2009)
- Freddy Krueger, A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
- George Noyce, Shutter Island, (2010)
- Guerrerro, Human Target (2010-11)
- Willie Loomis, Dark Shadows (2012)
- Alexander Stephens, Lincoln (2012)
- Maddox, RoboCop (2014)
Tropes invoked by this actor:
- Ascended Fanboy: He was very honored to find Watchmen fans started an online petition for him to play Rorschach, and that it actually came true.
- Bald of Awesome: Haley shaves his head when not in a role.
- Badass Baritone: as Rorschach
- Career Resurrection: Poster boy for this trope - left acting for over a decade before making a sudden comeback in Little Children, and is now enjoying a healthy career.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Rorschach is a redhead; Haley has naturally dark hair. Not only did he have to have his hair dyed, but also his eyebrows and stubble.
- Former Child Star: He was Kelly Leak, and is now making a successful adult career.
- He Really Can Act: People were likely skeptical about a little known former child actor playing Rorschach. Then he completely knocked it out of the park.
- At the same time, his comeback turn in Little Children was universally praised and earned him an Oscar nomination for playing a very complex, creepy role, so people familiar with that film were not surprised.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Haley is currently making a career out of playing very scary people (Rorschach, Freddy Krueger). He is in fact a sweet, gentle family man with two kids.
- Nerd Glasses
- One of Us: He was a big fan of Watchmen long before being cast in the role. He made an audition tape with friends where he acted out scenes as Rorschach.
- One-Scene Wonder: In Shutter Island.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: He's 5 feet 5 inches and has blackbelts in taekwondo and kenpo. Quite fitting for Rorschach.
- The Short Guy with Glasses: As mentioned, 5′5″.
- You Might Remember Me from...: For a while best known as Kelly Leak; he's now best known as Rorschach.