- Alternative Character Interpretation:
- Seth's a would-be rapist. Or an extremely repressed homosexual. This one is actually really popular.
- Did the liquor store cashier really believe Fogell was 21 and his ID was real or did she just not care about selling alcohol to a teenager?
- Awesome Music: The film has a varied and pretty awesome soundtrack, though highlights include "Too Hot to Stop" by The Bar-Kays during the opening credits, "Roda" during Seth's grade school flashback, Curtis Mayfield's "PS I Love You" at the end of the film and "Funk McLovin" by Bootsy Collins during the credits.
- Not to be ignored are "Bustin Out" by Rick James, played as Seth and Evan meet up with Fogell; "Here I Come" by the Roots, played when Seth arrives at the party, and "Pork and Beef" by The Coup (Don't trust the police, no justice, no peace...)
- Also, "Ace Of Spades" by Motorhead when Seth and Evan are trying to escape the crazy adult party.
- Van Halen's "Panama" while doing burn-outs in a stolen cop car.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment:
- Seth and his dick drawings, which is never spoken of or mentioned again and is arguably one of the funniest scenes in the movie.
- Also Seth's fantasies about buying alcohol, which include pulling an eighty-dollar bill out of his sleeve and a full-scale shootout in which he gets his throat slashed with a broken bottle and graphically bleeds to death.
- The unrated version expands a throwaway moment of Seth trying on tight jeans at a store in the theatrical version to a full, two-minute scene of Seth and Evan discussing the jeans' positives and (mostly) negatives.
- Ensemble Darkhorse:
- Fridge Horror: You just watched a funny, entertaining movie about a guy trying to rape a girl into being his girlfriend..
- Harsher in Hindsight: Seth refers to Fogell's fake ID photo as looking like a future child molester. This seems a lot less funny with Jared Fogle being done for child porn.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: At one point, Seth states that the plan has been "fucked since Jump Street." Funny, considering where Jonah Hill would later end up.
- Memetic Mutation:
- I AM MCLOVIN.
- "Fuck my life." (which has become the title of a website centered on people telling stories of things that have gone wrong, often starting with "Today..." and ending with "FML")
- "Fuck me, right?"
- Retroactive Recognition: In the scene where Seth recalls his obsession with drawing dicks, Young Becca is played by none other than Laura "Ally" Marano.
- The Scrappy: Seth. At best he's a Base-Breaking Character thanks to some very questionable morals.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Seth and, to a lesser extent, Evan since no matter how you dress it up, for most of the movie both of them planned to get Jules and Becca extremely drunk and then sleep with them while they weren't capable of meaningful consent. We're still meant to feel sorry for these guys and want a happy ending for them after they spent half a movie planning date rape. Even if Evan was morally conflicted about the idea and ultimately couldn't go through with it in the end, that he was willing to at all crosses the Moral Event Horizon for some people.
- Values Dissonance: The 'nerd gets a hot girl drunk enough to sleep with him' and 'give these homely geeky guys a chance, hot girl they value for her looks' plots are aging badly, particularly in the last few years. Even if the movie tries to subvert it a little, people are saying now that it doesn't so it enough. Plus neither of the two main leads getting any meaningful punishment for planning what amounts to date rape? Not a big deal in the past. Becoming a much bigger deal now.
- What an Idiot: The asshole with the mullet — exactly what did he hope to accomplish by spitting on the cops? Nothing, but he was a Jerkass to Seth and Evan at the beginning.
Fogell: Fuckin' cops! No jail can hold ME!!!
Mullet Bully: Fuckin' pigs. (Mullet Bully spits, Officer Slater gets splashed. Slater immediately points his nightstick at the punk.)
Mullet Bully: Oh shi- (Officer Slater swings his baton, knocking the spitting idiot out.)
Officer Slater: Nice mullet, asshole.