YMMV: Sonic Rivals
- Best Boss Ever: Metal Sonic in the first game's Sky Park Zone Act 2. It's like a 3D remake of the race against him in Sonic CD.
- Best Level Ever: Meteor Base from Sonic Rivals 1, by virtue of not having to race a rival at all and just run through the level old-school style. In the sequel, almost all of the levels could be considered such due to their unique settings that defy tropes (peaceful seaside Greek architecture? Rivals 2 did it before Unleashed, and Rivals 2 also featured the first "Wild West" zone in the series) and the fact that Free Play mode exists, so it's possible to slow down and enjoy the scenery.
- Ear Worm: Almost all the songs, actually.
- Even Better Sequel: Rivals 2. More playable characters, better level design, better graphics, better soundtrack, and to top it all off, a Free Play mode where you can just run through the level by yourself with no Rival. While this is unlockable, it's a godsend to those who just want a classic Sonic experience with straight platforming and running.
- So Okay, It's Average: By and large, those who have played the Rivals games don't see anything particularly bad about the games, but also nothing particularly good that stands out.
- That One Level: Some of the later levels in the first game can get unnecessarily difficult due to inconveniently-placed death pits and traps. In the 2nd game, several levels stand out:
- Frontier Canyon Act 2 with Tails: Silver is the rival this time, and he has the annoyingly-overpowered special attack of reversing the player's controls, as well as taking many shortcuts. On the other hand, Tails has the useless special ability of flying, which doesn't help in the Rivals series due to the level design being designed around horizontal, not vertical, layouts.
- Mystic Haunt Act 3: This level features several annoying gimmicks, but the worst are the lever-gates that require the player to wait until the correct symbol is shown before jumping off. They break the flow of the level and offer the rival a chance to take easy potshots.