Stephen King Novel
- Moment of Awesome: During the climax, "Mother" comes through the resurrected Mary Fay and tries to break Jamie. He defies her and fires at Fay's corpse, cutting off "Mother" before she can enter the world. However, this is then horrifically subverted when Jamie's act of defiance prompts "Mother" to drive several of the people Jacobs "healed" to murder and suicides.
- Moral Event Horizon: Jacobs crosses this with the various experiments performed on those he "healed". In-verse, Jamie believes he's crossed this line when a boy he "healed" went insane, was institutionalized, and committed suicide.
- Nightmare Fuel: While they attend the revival, Hugh has a panic attack when the "prismatics" are triggered, making him see every other human being as ant monsters. This foreshadows the horrific revelation of how every human soul is herded by those ant monsters to serve the Great Old Ones.
- There's also Jamie's nightmare, wherein he sees his deceased family members gathered around the dinner table with a rotting birthday cake for him. They all appear as they died (such as Claire having a busted, bloodied skull), and there is a malignant presence behind the scene. This presence turns out to be "Mother", an Eldritch Abomination that has human souls gathered for slavery.
- In the climax, Jacobs resurrects Mary Fay from the dead, using her as the final experiment to see what lies beyond death. Mary Kay's corpse is possessed by "Mother", revealing herself to be a horrific entity bearing human faces. And then there are the numerous suicides and murders she prompts when Jamie defies her.
- Tearjerker: The death of Jamie's sister, Claire. She got into a bad relationship with an abusive monster, and managed to escape him-only for the abuser to attack her at a school and kill them both in a murder-suicide.
- There are also the deaths of Patsy and Morrie, which drive Jacobs over the Despair Event Horizon.
- There's also the revelation that everyone after death is forcefully abducted and forced to slave away for "Mother" and other monsters by vicious antlike beasts.