- Fridge Logic: How does your puppy howl with a tennis ball in its mouth?
- Gateway Series
- Most Annoying Sound: It's fun to use the mic to call your puppy by name. It's a lot less fun to have to listen to someone else repetitively yell commands at their DS.
- Sweet Dreams Fuel: They're games about puppies. 'Nuff said. The 3DS games take this even further with improved graphics (including realistic fluffy fur) and the inclusion of kittens.
- Tear Jerker: If you ever choose to donate one of your dogs, the game asks a couple of times if you're sure you want to. Upon choosing yes, you have to sit and wait for a while, looking at your soon-to-be-gone puppy on the screen, before the process completes and they're gone forever...
- It just gives you the saddest look ever like it's gonna cry, you can practically hear it asking "why don't you love me?"
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Replacing Frisbee wasn't initially well-received.
- Uncanny Valley: Some of the Miis you might encounter on walks might as well have come out of a random Mii generator, as they can have creepy smiles on their faces.