- Harsher in Hindsight: In Mission: Laguna Beach, you have to save Laguna Beach from aliens. No, thanks. Thankfully, it's only a short promo disc, and not part of the main game. However, ...uhhhhh.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Then again, you could let the aliens plow Laguna Beach instead.
- Mondegreen: Just what are those grunts shouting in the first level of the game? It sounds like "Come back, Super Dave!"
- Porting Disaster: Some releases, such as the PS1 and Steam versions, removed the Gainax Ending. The PS1 version also has some framerate issues, but is otherwise quite playable. However, it's pretty obvious the game was not made with a gamepad in mind, but the controls work well enough that you can get used to it regardless.
- Sequel Displacement: MDK2 is more well-known than the first game, mostly since the sequel had a WiiWare port and an HD makeover, while this game got neither (though you can still get this off GOG and Steam if you're interested).
- What the Hell, Hero?: Surely there must be a reason that the Gainax Ending in question is a French musician performing a cover of a song that protests the Vietnam war.