YMMV: Girl, Interrupted
- Harsher in Hindsight: After Brittany Murphy's death, Ryder stated that she couldn't watch this movie. Which is understandable given that Daisy (Murphy's character) passed away in the bathroom and how Murphy herself met her end.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: "Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash?"
- LesYay: Susanna and Lisa; Lisa and MG.
- Jerkass Woobie: Daisy; Lisa.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- Some deleted scenes show some very disturbing hallucinations of Susanna's, such as bending her hand in unnatural positions (this is when she believes that she has "no bones" in her hand), and of blood pouring out of the meat refrigerators at a supermarket. The best example for this trope from the book itself, though, would be when Susanna and a few other inmates go to the Maximum Security Wing to visit someone who was recently transferred from their wing. ...Let's just say there is a very good reason why some of the inmates there were locked up.
- One-Scene Wonder: Vanessa Redgrave as Dr. Sonia Wick technically appears in three scenes, but she absolutely steals her sole major scene.
- Tear Jerker:
Valerie: What would you have said to her?Susanna: I don't know. That I was sorry. That I will never know what it was like to be her. But I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. You hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside.
- Daisy's death.
- Lisa finally breaking down in tears towards the end of the movie.
- The scene with Susanna and Valerie in the former's room, after she's returned to the hospital following Daisy's suicide, especially given that Susanna's speech resonates with a lot of viewers: