- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: In the second volume, Matt discusses with Christie the pros and cons of cosplaying, and explains to her how amateurs can be viciously taken apart by the slightest mistake, going on to mention how there are message boards, blogs, and websites dedicated to collecting photos of inexperienced cosplayers and mocking them. He specifically refers to it as a bloodsport.
- In the same volume, Lida explains to Christie and Beth the hardships of becoming a professional author, such as how long it takes to become well known, dealing with deadlines, crappy pay, fickle audiences, writer's block, and the like.
- Values Resonance: The theme about cosplay persecution, which is still something being dealt with by pretty much every fandom that involves cosplay today.
- The Woobie: Beth, so very much.
- Christie, especially in the first volume.
- Matt, regarding the bullying he went through because of his missing eye as well as being humiliated in volume two when Emily pulled his sunglasses off in front of everyone. You really feel for the poor guy.
- Emily is a Jerkass Woobie. Yes, she can be a bit of a bitch, but when you consider that her boyfriend is still in love with someone else, the "someone else" in question loves him back, and the boyfriend's sister is a Shipper on Deck for the boyfriend and the other girl, it's hard not to feel a bit sorry for her.