For the animated series:
- Cliché Storm: Though the characters more than made up for it.
- Ear Worm: The series' theme song.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Shareena
- Toy Ship: Shareena and Emmitt. All the friends had histories dealing with each other's quirks, but a few of Emmitt's charismatic yet comically misled moments really brought out the snark in Shareena.
For the film:
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: The second half of the film is practically a Big Lipped Alligator Movie.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: One of the bullet points in Taylor's guide to not being a total reject states "your lack of faith in the durability of Kesha is disturbing." That joke became funny once Kesha did indeed fall from mainstream popularity... only to became a lot less funny come 2016 once people learned precisely why her career flatlined so quickly.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: A girl named Taylor gets thrown out a window and lands on top of a car in a film directed by Joseph Kahn. Is this the opening scene of Detention, or the opening of the video for "Bad Blood"? (Though in the latter case, she gets better.) Even the way in which they're splayed out◊ atop the car◊ looks eerily similar.
- Hollywood Homely: Toyed with. Riley's club foot and clumseyness may be a reference to the high school film cliche.
- One-Scene Wonder: Taylor Fisher. She would have become The Scrappy if she had gotten more than one scene... but oh, what a scene.
- Retroactive Recognition:
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Taylor Fisher. A lot of the movie's haters considered her to be the only funny part and wish she'd lasted longer.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?