- Goddamned Bats: The bat that steals your items is probably the Trope Maker.
- Paranoia Fuel: The dragons. Especially in the harder modes where the bat will sometimes steal your item and give you a live dragon in return.
- Unfortunate Character Design: More than one player has noted that the dragons look more like ducks. Parodied in Homestar Runner, as whenever the dragons appear as a minor character, they call it a duck.
- Word of God: Warren Robinett has said he named the dragons (Yorgle, Rhindle, and Grindle) and the Bat (Knubberrub), but only the names of the dragons made it into the manual, and Grindle got a slight name change in the process. (Or maybe not, since in other interviews he says he named the green dragon Grundle from the start)
- Similarly, the Chalice was originally meant to be the Holy Grail, but Atari made him change it to the more generic "Chalice".