Wrestling: The Blue Meanie
"Meanie wins! Meanie wins! (Beat)
Well I saw it, I know I called it, I'm pretty sure we taped it, for the record, I don't believe it! Hey if SportsCenter
doesn't air this, then ESPN
can kiss my ass!"
"Say hello to da Blue Guy!"Brian Heffron
(b. 1973) is an American professional wrestler
from Atlantic City, New Jersey
best known for his time in ECW
as The Blue Meanie.
He started his career in March 1994 in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic independents under such names as Brian Rollins
and The Zebra Kid
. He debuted as the Meanie, a name taken from the villains in The Beatles
' Yellow Submarine
movie, at ECW November to Remember 95
, coming out of the crowd before Stevie Richards
' match against El Puerto Ricano. The team of Stevie and Meanie would specialize in Affectionate Parodies
of wrestlers past and present. He made his PPV in-ring debut at ECW Wrestlepalooza 98,
teaming with Super Nova
in a win over the Full-Blooded Italians (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido Maritato
, w/Tommy Rich). In late 1998, Meanie would leave ECW for WWE
and join Al Snow
's group the J.O.B. Squad before going on to a feud turned partnership with Goldust
that was rooted in how Meanie had parodied Goldust in ECW in 1996 as "Bluedust." He would return to ECW in late 1999, having lost much of his weight and renamed himself the Blue Boy. He has since gone on to compete in many independent promotions as well as making a brief return to WWE in 2005 for the ECW One Night Stand
PPV and a subsequent feud with John Bradshaw Layfield
stemming from JBL legitimately bloodying and beating him up during the big ECW-WWE brawl. Among his in-ring achievements, he was 1/2 of the inaugural MCW (Memphis) Southern Tag Team Champions
with Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, a former UPW Internet Champion
and a 3x SCW (Steel City) Tag Team Champion
, 1x w/Stevie Richards, 1x/Super Nova and 1x w/Cactus Jack
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Say hello to da Blue Guy's tropes!":
- Acrofatic: His primary finisher is the Meaniesault.
- * Affectionate Parody: He, Stevie Richards and, later, Super Nova were known for this.
- Alliterative Name: The Blue Boy
- Arch-Enemy: Tommy Dreamer and the Sandman; the FBI; the Brood (as a member of the J.O.B. Squad), Goldust, Ken Shamrock, John Bradshaw Layfield.
- Bash Brothers: Stevie Richards, Cactus Jack, Super Nova, Al Snow, Roadkill (in 3PW)
- Beware the Silly Ones: After Justin Credible d. Chris Chetti at ECW Ultimate Jeopardy 97, November 8, 1997 (televised on the November 15th show), his manager Jason "The Sexiest Man on Earth" got on the mic and talked about how, out of 30 or so guys in the locker room, he was one of the few who could actually wrestle and that "it sucks" only working as a manager. So, since he was in his "street clothes," he issued an open challenge for a "street fight." Cue "Let Me Clear My Throat" by DJ Kool, and out comes...Meanie and Nova? Jason dismisses Meanie at first, but finally agrees. While it's not much of a match, and even less of a "street fight" (referee John Finnegan blocks Meanie from attacking when Jason ducks his head through the ropes), it qualifies as Jason basically treats Meanie as a joke the whole time...until Meanie comes up with a testicular claw into a schoolboy rollup for the pin! (For an example of how much worse this could have turned out for Jason, see Too Dumb To Live.)
- Took a Level in Badass/Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: On the March 22, 1999, Raw, he walked to the ring with a chair and called out Ken Shamrock. Shamrock's "sister" Ryan walked out and taunted Meanie. Meanie put Ryan over his lap to spank her, which brought out Shamrock and Goldust. Ken put Goldust in the ankle-lock, and Meanie took out Shamrock with a chair shot! Meanie, Goldust and Ryan all left together.
- Big Damn Heroes: On the September 9 (taped August 29), 1998 episode of ECW Hardcore TV, Tommy Dreamer was in a gauntlet match against Lance Wright'snote stable of "Dastardly" Danny Doring, Jack Victory, "The Canadian Tiger" Mike Lozansky and the Equalizernote , with the intention of getting revenge for New Jack, who Victory had put out of action with a ripped groin. Dreamer was fighting against all four guys as best he could until it became obvious that he was outnumbered. With Dreamer down, Doring got on the mic and talked about how he's the best looking guy in the locker room, the most hardcore and the best dancer, and decided to prove it by dancing, with his theme, Soul Coughing's "Super Bon Bon" playing. Then "Let Me Clear My Throat" by DJ Kool hit, and Super Nova ran out with a STOP sign followed by the Blue Meanie with a garbage can full of weapons. Joey Styles called them, "Blue Jack and Novastafa!" Meanie and Nova emptied out the weapons, which included a tennis racket, a chair, a Captain America shield and more. Dreamer DDT'd Victory on the shield, and found among the weapons a bowling ball bag. He placed the shield on Victory's groin and dropped the bowling ball bag there for the pin. After the match, Meanie and Nova dragged Wright into the ring and set him up in the corner with his legs spread. Dreamer then debuted the bowling ball to the groin spot that Al Snow would later use in WWE, with Joey saying, "Steerike!" Dreamer's music, Alice in Chains' "Man in the Box" as he, Meanie and Nova did New Jack's "X" sign, before "Let Me Clear My Throat" came back on and Dreamer, after a brief moment of reluctance, danced in the ring alongside Meanie and Nova.
- Big Fun Personified: Which made him a favorite among the mutants, and continues into his appearances at Tommy Dreamer's House Of Hardcore.
- Clucking Funny: As part of his parody of Scott Hall during the BWO's debut at the start of November to Remember 96, he had a chicken bone in his mouth taking the place of Hall/Razor Ramon's toothpick.
- Dance Battler/Dancing Is Serious Business: The Meanie/Nova-FBI feud was centered in part on "dance-offs" between Meanie and Tracy Smothers.
- Facial Markings: Blue ones, of course
- It Will Never Catch On: According to Raven, this was ECW founder Tod Gordon's attitude when Raven pitched the idea for the Meanie to him, with Gordon writing it off as a "drunken Raven idea." He felt the same way about Super Nova as well.
- Parts Unknown: "Pepperland", of course.
- However, on the July 7, 2005 SmackDown!, he was billed from Philadelphia for his match with JBL.
- Power Stable
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- Tha Dogg Pound's "What Would U Do?"
- Hanson's "MMMBop"
- The Offspring's "Come Out and Play (Keep 'Em Separated)"
- DJ Kool's "Let Me Clear My Throat" with Super Nova
- The Revolting Cocks' version of "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" (as the Blue Boy.)
- Romance on the Set: After dropping a lot of weight prior to his return to ECW, he started dating porn star Jasmine St. Claire, who became his valet.
- Supervillain: According to Raven, was supposed to have been this.
- Tag Team:
- With Super Nova
- The New Foundation, with Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, in WWE's Memphis Championship Wrestling developmental promotion in 2000.
- Take That: Was "Da Blue Guy" of the BWO, with Stevie Richards as "Big Stevie Cool" and Super Nova as "Hollywood" Nova.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: He did when serving Raven
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: What, you thought the name had no additional meaning?