Western Animation / Ultimate Book of Spells
Ultimate Book of Spells
(2001-2002), or UBOS, is an animated series which ran for only 26 episodes. It's about three kids (Cassandra/"Cassy", Gus, Verne) who are attending a Wizarding School
and learning about magic. One day, they receive a magical book called UBOS, and learn of an evil wizard named Zarlack who is trapped in the center of the Earth, and is plotting to steal the world's magic so he can escape. The three of them have to stop him.
The show includes examples of:
- Bad Future: Time And Again thanks to Gus.
- Beard of Evil: Zarlak
- Boarding School
- Brainwashed and Crazy - Happens to Verne and Cassy in one episode, combined with Superpowered Evil Side.
- Cute Witch: Cassy
- Deadpan Snarker: UBOS, occasionly. Gus and Verne too.
- Everybody Laughs Ending: Very common.
- Evil Twin: Cassy gets one in Multiple Madness.
- Expy - suspiciously like Harry Potter, to a degree that even a child could spot. 3-person trio, with an awkward guy, normal guy and nerdy girl, magic, etc. But the main one is the witch teacher, Headmisteress Crystalgazer who acts SO much like McGonagall and can even turn into a cat.
- Also, there's a ghost teacher who teaches magical history and manages to make it sound extremely boring, but considering there are several ghost teachers at the school, this one might not be so obvious.
- Not only that, but one other episode is about a professor who tells stories of people that he actually did - as it turns out, he absorbs books he reads into his memories... somewhat like Gilderoy Lockhart.
- One episode reveals that Cassy has an Aunt who used to serve the Big Bad. The heroes learn in that same episode that she's innocent but the rest of the magical world still believes her to be guilty. She's basically a female Expy of Sirius Black.
- Fake Defector: Cassy's ancestor.
- Fantastic Racism: everywhere you go in the series Morties are either what you compare someone to if you want insult someone, not the kind of people you want to have anything to do with, or the best fun you could ever have around
- Follow the Leader: As detailed in Expy above, UBOS is rather similar to Harry Potter.
- For Halloween, I Am Going as Myself: When the veil of illusion was stolen during Halloween, Headmistress Crystalgazer had to pass the school's real look as Halloween decoration and have the students celebrate the holiday. Cassie wore a witch costume.
- For Want of a Nail: When the Wizarding School went into a field trip to the past, Gus took a crystal as a souvenir. Unfortunately, without that crystal to power up his wand, Cassy's Great-Grandfather couldn't defeat Zarlak, resulting in a Bad Future where Zarlak rules. Fortunately UBOS managed to take the heroes back to the past to set things right.
- Halloween Episode: "Veil of Illusion"
- Half-Human Hybrid: Gus is half-elf.
- Idiot Ball: One of Zarlack's plans apparently causes things to become less "Dull". While this does work for edges and pencils, apparently it also works on peoples' minds as well.
- Large Ham: Zarlack, constantly.
- Lawful Stupid: In one episode, Verne and Gus go into the girl's dorm to prove Cassy's innocence. Cassy is vindicated, but still has to receive punishment anyways, which she accepts. But then Gus and Verne receive detention too, because they went into the girl's dorms.
- Mind-Control Eyes: Cassy's eyes glow green for about a second in an episode where one of Zarlack's minions uses a mind-control spell on her, although she's actually faking it.
- Muggle: Verne is a mortal, or "mortie".
- Our Dragons Are Different: They're called Ratfinkles and they can transform into a two headed dragon.
- Don't forget the Dwarf Dragon mail carrier that showed up in the first episode
- Power Trio
- Pretend to Be Brainwashed: In one episode, Cassy pretends to fall under Zarlack's mind control spell so she can secretly come up with a plan to stop his scheme without having to concern herself with Zarlack or his minions capturing her.
- Redheaded Hero Verne is a much tamer example than most others who fall into the trope
- Rhymes on a Dime: When UBOS becomes unglued.
- Scholarship Student: Verne was turned into one so his parents wouldn't need to be told about the magical world.
- Sealed Evil in a Can
- Secret Keeper: Only Verne knows that UBOS is Cassie's great grandfather, Getz.
- Shout-Out to quite a few if you know where to look in the series, but the most glaringly obvious one is in Magic Quest, the whole episode is scattered with shout outs to Arthurian Lore
- Sins of Our Fathers: Lucretia and Borja are occasionally mocked because their father used to work for Zarlak. They once retaliate by pointing out Cassy has an Aunt who used to work for him as well.
- Spell Book - UBOS, obviously.
- Techno Wizard: Verne.
- Transflormation: Cassie undergoes this in one episode when hit by a spell that brings out her "witchwood" ancestry.
- True Companions: The trio.
- Un Equal Rites: Cassie wants to be a sorceress, since witches get no respect.
- Unfazed Everyman: Verne, being a mortie.
- Wizarding School
- X Meets Y: Harry Potter meets Journey to the Center of the Earth meets The Lord of the Rings.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair - Cassy.