Western Animation / Symphony Hour
is a 1942 Mickey Mouse
short. In premise, it is similar to The Band Concert
, although things take a much different turn for the worse.
Mickey stars as the conductor of an orchestra sponsored by "Sylvester Macaroni" (played by Pete
). Macaroni loves the orchestra's rehearsal of von Suppe's "Light Cavalry Overture", but after the instruments and Goofy
have an encounter with an elevator, the live performance quickly becomes an unmitigated disaster.
Tropes present in this short include:
- Batman Grabs a Gun: Or rather, Mickey grabs a gun.
- Beyond the Impossible: In Real Life, the instruments being as badly damaged as they were would not be able to play anything, let alone Stylistic Suck and a Brown Note. Yet the orchestra manages to play their instruments and keep in relative intonation, with a few key signature and rhythm changes.
- Special notice to Clarabelle Cow, who managed to pluck out her violin solo with two strings after her fiddle got squashed flat.
- Brown Note: Dear lord, the entire performance compared with how the song actually sounds.
- Chewing the Scenery: Quite literally as "Sylvester Macaroni" reacts to the horrible performance.
- Determinator: Mickey. And most of the orchestra, for that matter, since despite their instruments being busted they keep playing.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Despite their busted instruments, the orchestra manages to put on a passable and entertaining show, earning many encores from the audience.
- Furry Reminder: Horace Horsecollar briefly laughs at Donald's Asian caricature, sounding like a horse's whinny.
- Heroic RROD: After the concert is done, Mickey collapses on stage, his hands still conducting.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Macaroni is in tears at the end of the disastrous performance, convinced his reputation is shot. He cheers up immediately when he hears the audience shouting for more.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Sure, Goofy wrecks the instruments, but the audience loves it anyway.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The infamous moment in the short where Mickey, in a desperate effort to keep Donald from walking out on the concert, blocks his path and holds him at gunpoint.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Donald attempts this after everything goes wrong, but Mickey forces him at gunpoint to keep playing.
- Stop or I Will Shoot!: In one of the funnier moments of the short, Mickey stops Donald from leaving by pulling a gun on him.
- The Show Must Go On/The Show Must Go Wrong: Despite his orchestra having to play with damaged instruments, Mickey is one determined conductor.
- Stylistic Suck: How the music sounds after the instrument is busted. With that said, the orchestra keeps in tune relatively well.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Clara Cluck was only around for the rehearsal, she wasn't seen at all at the live performance.
- You Look Familiar: Pete plays Sylvester Macaroni, a music lover and wealthy patron of the arts. The change is noticeable in that Mr. Macaroni is supportive of Mickey's conducting, albeit for money, and at the end he hugs and kisses Mickey onstage when the audience applauids/